“Jamaica 2010”

GreenLeadersGold level
Staten Island, New York
“Jamaica 2010”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Iberostar was a great place to stay and I would definitely go back there again. The staff was excellent. The food was fabulous and there was so much variety. The nightlife was awesome. We met and hung out with a group of people that we met at the club in the resort whom we partied with every night we were there. We stayed at the Grand so that allowed us access to all the other Resorts which allowed us to experience different foods and drinks. The Grand is Adults Only and that made for better drinks and a better nightlife. That being said, it was worth it to stay at the Grand. This was my first trip to Jamaica and because of the way I was treated at Iberostar, I would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank 2ruDiva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,928)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is our first time going on an all inclusive vacation and first time writing a review but felt it was only fair since prior to going to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay we valued all the other reviews. Here goes.... whoa we were spoiled! From the Bell Service taking our bags off the shuttle bus and bringing them to our rooms, to the server who handed our welcome glass of champagne and cold towel to our front desk check-in person to our butler to the pool bar tenders to the activities coordinators to the spa staff to the wait staff.... it was the people that make this place. They all seem genuinely happy and are there to make your stay the best it can be. --- Morris at the pool bar is the best bar tender we have EVER had!! He was awesome!!

To be fair I will mention some things that weren't ideal. Men had to wear pants every night. We didn't know this so the only pants my husband brought were the jeans he wore on the plane, he wore them every night. The reservation policy I get, it's to be able to accommodate everyone and have some control over the flow of guest. When we first checked in there were only certain availabilities (time and place) so we weren't able to pick what restaurant we wanted or what time. (I heard you can tip your butler and they will make it happen if you want to change the reservation, we didn't though.)The pool buffet where you can get lunch and snacks didn't have the best service -- only place we experienced less than par service and we went 3 times. Also, when one of the servers dropped a couple glasses by accident we watched the manager witness it happen and not help the server who was working hard. The manager just stood there - and it wasn't like he was busy doing something else. Turn down service came too earlier for us. They would come between 5-6pm each night and that was usually the time we were showering for the night to go out later. If you said no then you missed out on that service. One other thing I would change, the carpet down the halls. They are stained and have a musty smell.

Our Butler, Darwin, was awesome even though we didn't use him. He would call and check-in to make sure were OK. We tried to think of things we wanted or needed but there wasn't anything so we never took advantage of using him but his phone calls to check on us was much appreciated!!

With all that said our vacation was awesome. We would go there again but would like to try another location. Our weather was perfect and it was between 10/11-10/16/2010. We only had one rainy afternoon but it was short.

Hope this helped Have a blast!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tayesme
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

Very happy with the whole experience. Beautiful beach, beautiful hotel facilities, great value for money, friendly staff.

The all inclusive value was great. Unlimited top shelf alcohol that was not skimped on when served, unlimited ini bar, 24 hr room service, restaurants/buffets with good meals.

Nightly shows were good to average but something to do in the evenings. Bar staff were friendly and entertaining. Entertainment staff were friendly however sometimes too friendly in that we tried to avoid at times (this depends on the type of person you are, some people loved playing volleyball, ping pong etc with them everyday - we preferred to relax on the beach). The beds are very soft, comfortable to lie on but not great for us for a full nights sleep (again, this obviously depends on the personal preference).

Expect to tip. Whilst it is supposed to be covered in all inclusive deals, the majority of guests tip and it has become expected by staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ginhira
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Last year, my husband and I stayed at Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana for our Honeymoon. We had an amazing time and felt like king and queen from the service that they offered. This time for our 1 year anniversary, we chose to stay at Iberostar again with no hesitation. We enjoyed every moment of our stays. The room was so spacious. The bed and pillow are so comfortable that we even asked our butler to find out the brand so we can get a set when we get home. The food was good. The menu is exactly the same from the one in punta cana. Our favorite was the Gourmet restaurant. Some days, there were bbq on the beach. The food from there was alrite but its fun to sit on the beach eating and enjoy the view at the same time. The beach in Montego bay is so nice. The water was clear and calm. Overall,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DnM09
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I'm going to keep this as short as possible as much has already been mentioned.

The food is top-notch, try the lamb in the Gourmet Restaurant. Loved all the restaurants except the Surf n' Turf, which unfortunately we were booked at twice. It was great food, but the service severely lacked on both visits. I would skip the Asian Restaurant on our next trip. Cute to watch the presentation, but would rather eat at the other restaurants.

We lunched at the buffet by the pool/beach. Don't get scared that it's a buffet. Any fish you want, they grill it in front of you. Pasta, lobster tails, brie, everthing you want. The selection is amazing.

Overall the food was magnificent and by far the best/highest quality I have ever had at an all-inclusive. Some of the dishes at the restaurants were fancier/better than we dine at restaruants at home!

The drinks are top shelf and have a huge selection. Don't want to get out of the bath but want a drink? Use the bathroom phone to order a Grey Goose martini to your room (and perhaps a sushi platter while you're at it).

Room bars come with a variety of beers, soft drinks, and red wine. Anything you'd prefer more of, leave a note for the house keeping staff. For example we asked them to stock more Heinekins and red wine (mini bottles). You can also call anything up to your room.

There are also little bigs of chips left in your room everyday. One day we didn't have our chips, nor coffee packages (that you make yourself). So I called our butler to say we didn't have chips or coffee....and 10 minutes later there is knock on the door and on a silver platter is a coffee urn, cream & sugar, and a bunch of chips (Doritos and Regular Lays, in case you're curious). I didn't mean actual coffee already made - but who was I to complain?!

We had breakfast delivered to the room twice. It was a nice luxury to eat breakfast on our private balcony, in our robes, viewing the ocean. However I preferred the buffet only because there were more options, as I'm not a huge breakfast-food lover. If you don't see what you want on the breakfast menu (that you put on your door the night before), the just write it on there. If you want double of something, write that down too. They will do whatever you ask.

We did not have reservations our first night as nothing was available, so we ordered room service and it was a restaurant-quality dinner. We also ordered a dvd, so ate dinner in our robes on the bed in comfort. My husband got steak that was amazing. Of course we ordered champagne every chance we got (honeymooners!).

This is an amazing property, where no detail is over-looked. I highly recommend it and would definitely return. I do just want to mention a couple negative points, but please don't let this affect your decision to go. I just feel that I have to write a balanced review.

The pool bar (which was the same bar used by beach patrons) could get a little busy waiting for a drink. However, there are servers by the pool and beach who are always around and they get priorty at the bar, so drinks are pretty quick.

Your butler isn't "your" butler, you share him. Ours was ok, didn't really see him much. When I asked him to draw me a bath, I didn't get the candles and roses like others did. Ya boo hoo. I know that's not expected so I'm not complaining, and it was just an extra frill. But I was secretly excited about it. I'm 100% certain if I asked specifically for that, I would have got it.

This isn't something they can fix, but their lobby is all indoors. I missed sitting in the lobby at night, sipping tropical drinks, and feeling the warm caribbean air. They have a balcony outside the lobby were we frequently sat. It was a little too quiet though. In saying this, the lobby is simply stunning and very enjoyable to sit in.

There were some issues with lounger shortages around the pool, however if you just ask, they will bring out more for you. You do have to wake up early to get a bed. They don't discourage that, but they will walk around at about noon and take all towels and belongings on chairs/beds that haven't been used all morning, to free them up for others. I suppose people would reserve spots at the beach and pool but not necessarily use both spots. Ok ok. Slightly guilty but we did use both spots. And I'll tell you why. The section of the pool we preferred was shady in the morning. So we'd beach it in the morning, then after lunch change it up (just 'cause) and lounge by the pool. Loved doing both.

Every single staff member was friendly and courteous and said "hi" as you walked by. The animation staff are friendly but not pushy. We loved one of the pool waitresses. The first day we tipped her $20 and she walked by us every 20 minutes asking if we were ok. Then a few days later tipped her another $20, the same thing a few days later. We had the best service from her all week! And really, if we had tipped a couple bucks each time she served us a drink, I'm sure it would have added up to at least $60 anyways. Tipping is not required at all. You will still get amazing service if you don't. But if you do....well it's worth it.

This is a new and shiny resort, with amazing food, top shelf liquor, the best staff in Jamaica, wonderful rooms, close to the airport, and really true luxury.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank beachbunn-e
Adams, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

Just enjoy the beautiful surroundings and the amazing staff. I was at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall from May 1, 2010 - May 8, 2010 and would go back there in a heart beat. The entire staff are so helpful, courteous, friendly, attentive & always making sure you're having a great time. The staff interacts with everyone and sees to it that your every need is met. This is truely a remarkable resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank VonAdams_NY
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Sorry this is a long overdue feedback as our vacation was taken in august, however! we sincerely owe it to the wonderful staff to leave a review. Myself & partner had the most amazing two weeks in august. I have stayed in many hotels in jamaica over the years i have to say this has been the best by a long shot.

The beach hotel and the suites were also impressive and also ideal for families, but the grand was strictly couples only and had a certain intimacy about it. The theatre at the grand was also smaller than the beach & suites, nonetheless; the style and entertainment complimented and catered to the clientele.

The staff are the friendliest you could ever meet. Everything about the hotel e.g entertainment, decor,food, kitchen staff etc, all marvellous not forgetting our butler Darwin (hi darwin) how is your wife daughter?

All in all, fantastic, recommend it everytime - in fact already recommended to a family who wanted to know where to stay in jamaica. You will have a blast.

Enjoy!

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,989 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!