“Among the Best!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
NY
“Among the Best!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

First I must say this was my second time staying at this hotel. My husband and I stayed there last June and couldn't wait to return. I had nothing negative to say then but I didn't bother to write a review. I decided to write a review on each vacation since then so now here is my review as a return visitor to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay. The place is beautiful. Because we were a return guest we were upgraded to an ocean front room. It was beautiful and a nice gesture to say the least. I think we ended up with one of the nicest rooms in the hotel. The first night we returned to the room, we were greeted with champagne. It made me feel very welcome. Nice customer service!
The pool and the beach were magnificent. Water temperatures perfect (I hate cold water) to the point where you can just walk right in. No need to get used to the water first. You can take dry towels whenever you need one. There are no limits on the number of towels you can have and they never run out. There are plenty of chairs by the pool and at the beach. Some people go down early and save some prime spots. I went to the pool each morning at 7:30 and only a few were saved already. After breakfast at 9-9:30 am there were still plenty of spots available. Even as people came late in the day they could find a spot to lounge by the pool and beach.
Drinks in abundance - whatever you want, whenever you want a drink. Buffet breakfast had anything you could want for breakfast and more. The lunch buffet is something to look forward to each day. The food is excellent. Any one from a meat lover, to a fish lover, to a vegetarian can find plenty to eat at lunch. Dinner offers 4 ala carte restaurants - Japanese, French, Italian, and Surf and Turf. There is also a dinner buffet restaurant. All offer good food but the surf and turf is the best in my opinion. Many people in previous reviews did not like the Italian but I found it to be very good which I must say I did not like my first time there last year. I felt this time it was very good. I have absolutely no complaints about the food and drink.
The people who work at the hotel are very accommodating. They are very nice and friendly. They offer assistance as needed. If you do not ask they will not intrude on your privacy. They are constantly cleaning and maintaining the property.
There are nightly shows which are entertaining if you are not expecting professional performances. Each night at the bar in the lobby there are also performers which are very good. There are some slot machines which they did not have last year. They are open until 3 am.
All in all I highly recommend this hotel. The only negative thing I can say this time that I couldn't say last year is that it needs some repair work. The pools are missing some tiles and some of the cement work is beginning to show signs of wear and tear. The carpeting in the halls are somewhat stained in spots where people throw their room service dishes when they are finished. These are minor issues in my opinion.

2 Thank debaNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,979)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed at Grand from May 19-29. Here is the scoop:
Pros - Greeted with mimosa and checked in promptly at 11am upon arrival. Butler service was great - Wheeler and Avienne(not sure how to spell his name). Bellhop brought bags up to the room. Beds extremely comfortable and with the 3 layer of curtains, provided for a great sleeping environment. Had a bedside book light for reading. Turn-down service nightly while you're at your dinner reservation was great. Bathrooms were huge with built in jacuzzi tub and for two opposite sinks provided ample room to get ready. In room minibar had top shelf liquor and butler ensured that it was filled the following days with what we initially asked to have it filled with. Flat screen, wide range of tv channels, iPod alarm clock, free internet and chaise lounge provided relaxing comfort in-room. The 4 pools were warm and treated regularly. Poolside bar provided great drinks. Racquel, whenever she worked poolside made sure we always had plenty to drink and recommended dreamy drink called Jamaican Smile (creamy, cold, sweet, strawberry) - she also works in the fitness area. Fitness area had a wide selection of equipment with custom made smoothies of your choice. Staying at Grand provided access to other two adjoining resorts -Suites (great for families) & Beach (great for spring breakers) which is the impression we got after utilizing their pool and entertainment amenities. El Palau (Gourmet restaurant) was very good especially coffee flambe dessert (not on menu). Wine tasting on a certain day by the pool provided a great way to try out wines..our fav was Augustus Lieblich (not avail at the Suites or Beach). Try all the restaurants at all 3 resorts if you can but big standouts are two Gourmet restaurants. Surf and Turf restaurant's baked ice cream was heavenly. Calabash (gourmet restaurant at the Suites) was phenomenal - loved the lamb ribs -not usually a fan of lamb but WOW - if we were staying there longer we would have reserved this restaurant more than the two times that we did (each time having the lamb ribs). The beach bar-b-que lunch (only on certain days) was our first time trying curry goat which was good. Definitely try the national Jamaican dish which is ackee and saltfish (when in rome or in this case Jamaica, mon) Lobster and stone crab claws available at the buffets. 24 Hour room service. Snorkeling at the rocks near the buoys between the Suites and Grand had lots of fish, stingray and we even saw a baby shark that they transplanted to a different area to provide for safe swimming - we packed our own snorkeling gear. Shuttle service to The Shops at Rose Hall (lots of jewelery stores and souvenirs) left every hr til 6pm. Canopy poolside and beach loungers provided for shade relaxing. Was there for a friends wedding and the wedding service was nice- not beachside since it rained. Shows nightly at 10pm and dancing at the Discotheque (at the Suites). Quiet atmosphere overall and lobby bar kept the drinks flowing. Truly top shelf liquor available at all bars at the Grand only. Free voucher for round of golf for two at resort owned, Cinnamon Hills Golf Course (not advertised anywhere we later found out so you have to ask).
Cons - Not enough canopy lounges at pool and beach so have to get there early to get one. Rained almost every afternoon except 2 days around 1pm sometimes downpour. Mosquitoes after about 5pm can get bad. Calling for concierge was difficult at times. Hallway carpet was stained badly in some places but didn't experience any funky smells. The reservation required restaurants were odd because they were only half filled but can be difficult to get reservations to..not sure about this method to the madness. Only 1 ATM (at Beach) that dispenses US $. Food at the buffet got repetitive. Red Stripe (jamaican beer) in the bottle is only available in your room mini-bar. Friends only allowed to check out snorkel gear for an hour. Wedding party said the onsite photography for the wedding was not good. We booked our Bob Marley and Dunns River Falls excursion through Tropical Tours (onsite) which ended up working out after Patricia straighten out the mistake of our booking being left off on the daily pick-up.
Tips - Definitely on your first day, make reservations for your evening dining for whatever nights you don't want the buffet. Tips are not necessary but always will help with getting that extra pep in the step.
We booked our trip in March through cheapcaribbean.com and two weeks prior to our departure - I found out that we could have saved $900 if we could've waited til then but after reviewing their cancellation policy it would not be a cost effective. Might be something to consider if you don't have a wedding or any commitment on the timing.
Overall...the hotel was very nice and we would definitely come back and stay here again for a quiet Adults Only all inclusive stay.

4 Thank Lovevacations12
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I stayed at the Grand the last week of May. I decided to take this trip just a week before I left as I wanted to get away for the one year anniversary of my husband passing. I took the trip alone which was not the case for most of the other guests, though on my last day I did run into someone else who had come alone. The staff made me feel very welcome, and will accommodate any request. Iberostar takes "all inclusive" to a whole new level. Internet, room service, butler service, mini- bar and more are included. The restaurants were nice however not all of them are open every night. The food was very good for the most part, however the decor in most of the restaurants leave something to be desired. The pools were beautiful, the rooms were beautiful, and the beach was very nice. At the spa I had a ceylon signature massage. It incorporates a hot stone and a cold shell. AMAZING! I also did the illumination swim. You go out to a lagoon at night (with drinks!) jump in the lagoon and the water around you will glow! Very cool experience. On the beach there are servers to bring you drinks. Lots of frond umbrellas to protect you from the HOT (bring lots of sunscreen!) Jamaican sun. The shows at night were ok, I have seen better at other resorts, but still gave you something to do in the evening. The rooms were large and gorgeous. Minibar was stocked daily, and with whatever you wanted upon request. Go and enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank pattigal
Connecticut
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Because of all the negative reviews, we changed our reservations from Secrets St. James to the Grand. Big mistake. I thought we were going to a 5 star hotel and was sadly mistaken.
Upon arrival, we were given a cold towel (not really greeted with...but one was sorta shoved at us without a word, as though it was a mandatory part of the job) and a mimosa. The girl at the front desk didn't even look up at us when we approached and we stood there for a moment looking from one bored desk rep to another until one finally broke away from chatting and came to check us in. Totally RUDE and we felt embarassed and like we were walking on eggshells within the first 10 minutes we were there. Not a good impression...and it followed us for the next 5 days.
Pros: good, comfy beds and pillows.
room cleaned daily
swim up bar fun and lively. Morris and Jerry spectacular!
ocean beautiful, pools very nice
Japanese and Surf 'n Turf and Gourmet restaurants very good.
Jumped into action to put towels on marble floors when it rained so that we didn't go sailing!
Cons: horrible customer service at front desk
never met the butler
had to ask several times to get anything put in room for snacking
Lunch buffet is semi outdoors so EVERYthing is warm/hot...including fish, cheese, salads, desserts. YUCK.
Same items everyday in breakfast/dinner buffet
Only 2 restaurants open per evening so if you don't have a reservation before you get there, you have to beg the conceirge...then when you get into the restaurant, it is only 1/2 full so what was the issue???
Conceirge just as unconcerned, bored, listless, rude and demeaning as front desk. This is a major issue because we felt like they actually resented us and we are nice Southern folk with manners :) so it wasn't that we were obnoxious or even remotely forward. Bummer because their attitudes really ruined the vacation.
Hallways were stinky - like a perm solution used to smell like??? Carpets stained, ceiling in shower moldy and rotted.
Chair cushions at pool and beach were badly stained and ripped.
Never replenished body lotions...which were badly needed once we were sufficiently sunburned. ha ha.
Smoking allowed inside and out. Just a pet peeve...

Not a 5 Star for sure!!!! We've been to 4 and 5 star hotels that were impeccible and catered to the customer. Not this one. Average at best. Sorry...but true.

3 Thank sus317
Long Island
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed in the Iberostar Suites next door to the Grand in Jan. 2009 before the Grand opened and it was wonderful. This year we checked into the Grand after checking out early from the Tropical Palace in Negril because it was horrendous. The Grand was even more wonderful. They greeted us with cold washcloths and mimosas. The room was spectacular, with a balcony as big as a room. We were assigned a butler who took care of whatever we needed. Dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants were no problem to book ahead of time for our entire stay. The food was excellent even all the buffet style dining. The entertainment staff was the best. Able to use all 3 Iberostar properties so we often went to the Suites theater at night. Free internet in the room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bbwife
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay from May 14-22.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted with a very friendly bellhop and served a refreshment. The front staff was kind and attentive and we were in our room within 10 minutes of arrival.

The rooms were clean and as seen in the pictures. We got in around 10:00 so we missed all the restaurants. The 24 hour room service came in to be very handy at the time and we actually ordered room service 4-5 times during the trip.

As everyone said, the food was ok - better than what you would expect at an all inclusive. We highly recommend the surf and turf restaurant. We tried all the a la cartes once and each had its own specialty - all again with great service. You have a choice of drink, appetizer, main course, and then dessert. We found ourselves eating early at an a la carte and then going to the buffet for dessert or ordering room service.

The resort is nice. Staying at this one gives you access to all the other resorts at the Iberostar. This opens up your access to eat at the other resort's a la cartes. Lucky for us, it was not too crowded since hurricane season is on its way making it off peak. I can imagine this place being rowdy when crowded as it was for us a few days (unlimited drinks will do that to you!)

Here are some tips that I found helpful:
1. Tipping - it almost seems expected. You definitely get better service if you tip even though it is not required. A few bucks here and there go a long way and make you memorable. Tipping your water boy is smart - these guys fill your minibar daily with chips and drinks.
2. Food in order of preference for us - Surf and Turf, Japanese, European, then Italian. Each of these a la cartes had great food/service. The buffets were decent with a vast selection of food with plenty of desserts to choose from. There are BBQs hosted on some days which is recommended. Great empenadas!
3. Drinks are strong! The poolside and beach front drink servers are very busy and might not get to you as often as you like. You can always walk up to the swim up bar so don't be afraid to do so.
4. The gym is nice and is rarely used. We used it 4 days while there.
5. Get out of the room by 10am otherwise the prime poolside chairs or beach front chairs will be taken. We were also told that towels become scarce later in the day.

I did take some pics of our stay which can be found here:

2 Thank Shookatash
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I am currently staying at the Iberostar Grand in Jamaica as a vacation outing. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was greeted by friendly staff during checking in actvities. Kenroy did an excellent job at given my an overview of the property, amenities, exclusions of my package, and some good tips for my stay. When I arrived, I was hours prior to official check-in; however I received a room within 30 minutes or so. However, the service went down hill from there.
In addition, Mackenzie was excellent at providing services and answering questions concerning my stay at the Iberostar. I will miss the warm and courteous service.

SPA:
It is a great amenity to have a spa and full fitness center on-site; however the prices for these services are much more than what you would typically pay in the US. It took me over an hour to locate the prices for the spa services. I contacted the spa and the person working could not tell me the prices, I had to contact the concierge to obtain the prices. Nevertheless, the service provided was good, but the facilities were small and compact. I did not have a locker to put my belongings in and had to carry them into the massage room with me.

I wanted to take some dance lessons that were offered by the hotel, but could never get in contact with responsible department. The line always stayed busy and the times and locations for activities were not posted in a visible place in the hotel for occupants.

Room Service:
The hotel prides itself on quality service, yet is does not provide timely or quality services consistently, which I would expect at a 5-star hotel. The room service was not timely and at times provided the incorrect food orders, brought cold food, and to at least an hour to replace the incorrect order. The replacement order was not good and was cook as requested.
The housekeeping staff did keep the towels and other amenities plentiful; however the room was not clean adequately on a consistent basis. Some type of glass object was broken in my bathroom and I noted it after I stepped on a piece and it stuck into my foot. After removing the glass from my foot and examining the floor area, I noticed large and small pieces in the vicinity of the bathtub. I understand that things happen, but it would have been nice for the housekeeping attendant to let me know to be careful and take extra care to ensure that large, visible pieces of glass were removed.

Butlers and Conceirge:
This was the most excellent service provided!!!! My butlers were courteous, friendly, and attentive to my requests and needs. Thank you Dennis, Ryan, and Rashone, you are the best!!!! These guys made the experience bearable and most enjoyable. The conceirge services were also exceptional. Thanks to Janielle and Tanielle!!! You ladies were very prompt and provided extra special care to ensure that my requests were routed to the appropriate personnel and you did it with such grace and style!!!

Room:
The room actually matched the pictures found on the website and were very nice. The bed slept well and the swing on the balcony was to die for!!! I used the whirlpool as well, which was a nice touch to have. I also loved the shower!!!

Food: This was one of the biggest disappointments!!!! The food was too upscale. I came to Jamaica to expericence the food and the culture. The food was not good at all. The food was near cold or lukewarm, the lunch buffet was never good, the sodas were flat, and I was served hot wine!!! When I told the waitress about it, she gave me a glass of ice!!!! I understand that the hotel wants to provide its patrons with the best quality menus, but there were no alternatives the culinary dishes that were served every night and I am eager to try new things. But this experience was not at all good. I would stick to the Japenese and Surf and Turf restaurants. I was very disappointed that jerk chicken and lobster along with ox tails and beans and rice were not an every day dish....that's Jamaica. I found myself eating while out on tours to get the types of food I expected at the hotel.

Shopping:
Please do not shop at the hotel gift shop. The prices in the shops are twice as much for the items that can be purchased locally. I had purchased coffee from the gift shop for $30 US dollars and after going out on a tour, found the same type of coffee for $15 US dollars and tax free!!! After I returned and contacted the gift shop, they stated that they would allow me to only exchange the merchandise!!!! Why would I want to pay twice as much for anything that the hotel gift shop offerred? It is robberry....I am still awaiting hotel managment to get back with me on this issue, which happened 3 days ago....so much for timeliness and courteous.

Speaking of hotel management, I would not know them....they act as if I do not exist!!!! I have encountered many of them during my stay, but I did not received the first "Hello" or "How is your stay", etc.; however when other patrons of this hotel are in their presence...strangely their mouths open....they actually speak, but not to me, who is of a different ethnicity to the patrons addressed with friendly smiles and conversations....This is highly unacceptable. I have paid the same amount of money to stay at this hotel and I am viewed as an "outcast"., not worthy of being spoken to or acknowledged!!!. I am highly upset at this type of treatment and will be advising all of my friends and co-workers who were planning to stay at this "5-star" hotel that our money is appreciated, but dont expect any genuine hospitality unless you fit the profile of the desire patron. If I could leave this hotel right now, I would, but there are no available flights or hotels.

I hope that this review will provide some critical insight to potential patrons and tourists interested in visiting the "5-star" Iberostar hotel where they appreciate your business but not so much the patrons!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!