“If you thought you didn't want to go to Jamaica, think again”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed in the Iberostar Suites next door to the Grand in Jan. 2009 before the Grand opened and it was wonderful. This year we checked into the Grand after checking out early from the Tropical Palace in Negril because it was horrendous. The Grand was even more wonderful. They greeted us with cold washcloths and mimosas. The room was spectacular, with a balcony as big as a room. We were assigned a butler who took care of whatever we needed. Dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants were no problem to book ahead of time for our entire stay. The food was excellent even all the buffet style dining. The entertainment staff was the best. Able to use all 3 Iberostar properties so we often went to the Suites theater at night. Free internet in the room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank bbwife
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Reviewed May 30, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay from May 14-22.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted with a very friendly bellhop and served a refreshment. The front staff was kind and attentive and we were in our room within 10 minutes of arrival.

The rooms were clean and as seen in the pictures. We got in around 10:00 so we missed all the restaurants. The 24 hour room service came in to be very handy at the time and we actually ordered room service 4-5 times during the trip.

As everyone said, the food was ok - better than what you would expect at an all inclusive. We highly recommend the surf and turf restaurant. We tried all the a la cartes once and each had its own specialty - all again with great service. You have a choice of drink, appetizer, main course, and then dessert. We found ourselves eating early at an a la carte and then going to the buffet for dessert or ordering room service.

The resort is nice. Staying at this one gives you access to all the other resorts at the Iberostar. This opens up your access to eat at the other resort's a la cartes. Lucky for us, it was not too crowded since hurricane season is on its way making it off peak. I can imagine this place being rowdy when crowded as it was for us a few days (unlimited drinks will do that to you!)

Here are some tips that I found helpful:
1. Tipping - it almost seems expected. You definitely get better service if you tip even though it is not required. A few bucks here and there go a long way and make you memorable. Tipping your water boy is smart - these guys fill your minibar daily with chips and drinks.
2. Food in order of preference for us - Surf and Turf, Japanese, European, then Italian. Each of these a la cartes had great food/service. The buffets were decent with a vast selection of food with plenty of desserts to choose from. There are BBQs hosted on some days which is recommended. Great empenadas!
3. Drinks are strong! The poolside and beach front drink servers are very busy and might not get to you as often as you like. You can always walk up to the swim up bar so don't be afraid to do so.
4. The gym is nice and is rarely used. We used it 4 days while there.
5. Get out of the room by 10am otherwise the prime poolside chairs or beach front chairs will be taken. We were also told that towels become scarce later in the day.

I did take some pics of our stay which can be found here:

2  Thank Shookatash
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I am currently staying at the Iberostar Grand in Jamaica as a vacation outing. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was greeted by friendly staff during checking in actvities. Kenroy did an excellent job at given my an overview of the property, amenities, exclusions of my package, and some good tips for my stay. When I arrived, I was hours prior to official check-in; however I received a room within 30 minutes or so. However, the service went down hill from there.
In addition, Mackenzie was excellent at providing services and answering questions concerning my stay at the Iberostar. I will miss the warm and courteous service.

SPA:
It is a great amenity to have a spa and full fitness center on-site; however the prices for these services are much more than what you would typically pay in the US. It took me over an hour to locate the prices for the spa services. I contacted the spa and the person working could not tell me the prices, I had to contact the concierge to obtain the prices. Nevertheless, the service provided was good, but the facilities were small and compact. I did not have a locker to put my belongings in and had to carry them into the massage room with me.

I wanted to take some dance lessons that were offered by the hotel, but could never get in contact with responsible department. The line always stayed busy and the times and locations for activities were not posted in a visible place in the hotel for occupants.

Room Service:
The hotel prides itself on quality service, yet is does not provide timely or quality services consistently, which I would expect at a 5-star hotel. The room service was not timely and at times provided the incorrect food orders, brought cold food, and to at least an hour to replace the incorrect order. The replacement order was not good and was cook as requested.
The housekeeping staff did keep the towels and other amenities plentiful; however the room was not clean adequately on a consistent basis. Some type of glass object was broken in my bathroom and I noted it after I stepped on a piece and it stuck into my foot. After removing the glass from my foot and examining the floor area, I noticed large and small pieces in the vicinity of the bathtub. I understand that things happen, but it would have been nice for the housekeeping attendant to let me know to be careful and take extra care to ensure that large, visible pieces of glass were removed.

Butlers and Conceirge:
This was the most excellent service provided!!!! My butlers were courteous, friendly, and attentive to my requests and needs. Thank you Dennis, Ryan, and Rashone, you are the best!!!! These guys made the experience bearable and most enjoyable. The conceirge services were also exceptional. Thanks to Janielle and Tanielle!!! You ladies were very prompt and provided extra special care to ensure that my requests were routed to the appropriate personnel and you did it with such grace and style!!!

Room:
The room actually matched the pictures found on the website and were very nice. The bed slept well and the swing on the balcony was to die for!!! I used the whirlpool as well, which was a nice touch to have. I also loved the shower!!!

Food: This was one of the biggest disappointments!!!! The food was too upscale. I came to Jamaica to expericence the food and the culture. The food was not good at all. The food was near cold or lukewarm, the lunch buffet was never good, the sodas were flat, and I was served hot wine!!! When I told the waitress about it, she gave me a glass of ice!!!! I understand that the hotel wants to provide its patrons with the best quality menus, but there were no alternatives the culinary dishes that were served every night and I am eager to try new things. But this experience was not at all good. I would stick to the Japenese and Surf and Turf restaurants. I was very disappointed that jerk chicken and lobster along with ox tails and beans and rice were not an every day dish....that's Jamaica. I found myself eating while out on tours to get the types of food I expected at the hotel.

Shopping:
Please do not shop at the hotel gift shop. The prices in the shops are twice as much for the items that can be purchased locally. I had purchased coffee from the gift shop for $30 US dollars and after going out on a tour, found the same type of coffee for $15 US dollars and tax free!!! After I returned and contacted the gift shop, they stated that they would allow me to only exchange the merchandise!!!! Why would I want to pay twice as much for anything that the hotel gift shop offerred? It is robberry....I am still awaiting hotel managment to get back with me on this issue, which happened 3 days ago....so much for timeliness and courteous.

Speaking of hotel management, I would not know them....they act as if I do not exist!!!! I have encountered many of them during my stay, but I did not received the first "Hello" or "How is your stay", etc.; however when other patrons of this hotel are in their presence...strangely their mouths open....they actually speak, but not to me, who is of a different ethnicity to the patrons addressed with friendly smiles and conversations....This is highly unacceptable. I have paid the same amount of money to stay at this hotel and I am viewed as an "outcast"., not worthy of being spoken to or acknowledged!!!. I am highly upset at this type of treatment and will be advising all of my friends and co-workers who were planning to stay at this "5-star" hotel that our money is appreciated, but dont expect any genuine hospitality unless you fit the profile of the desire patron. If I could leave this hotel right now, I would, but there are no available flights or hotels.

I hope that this review will provide some critical insight to potential patrons and tourists interested in visiting the "5-star" Iberostar hotel where they appreciate your business but not so much the patrons!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
13  Thank lucas5225
Reviewed May 29, 2010

This was our first time at an Iberostar and would still recommend Barcelo 10 fold. I will briefly list the pros and cons of this 'grand' resort.

Positives:
- Pool and beach crystal clear and warm as bath water. Sand is soft and there are occasional fish, starfish, and even a snake or two in the water so bring goggles at the very least. There is an abundance of underwater life among the large rocks between the 1st and 2nd Iberostar resorts (the Grand is the 3rd).
- The buffet was above average but not 5 star. The restaurants were alright at the Grand. The best restaurant was the Mexican but it is located at the Suites, next door. Delicious food and everyone we spoke to agreed.
-We didn't want a tourist fanatic excursion so we went on an exclusive excursion to Mayfield Falls (only offered by Apple at the Suites). It was fantastic, much richer than a Dunn's tour.
-Entertainment and breakfast buffet staff very friendly.
-Rooms are incredible. Large, spacious, clean, colorful, refreshing. Just gorgeous.
-Beds are the most comfortable we've slept on - high quality.

Negatives:
-Service without a smile. You have to say hello and smile to the majority of staff members before they will smile back at you or even give you the time of day. Very standoff and offen condescending.
-Although the food is great at the Mexican restaurant, the service is terribly unfriendly. My husband and I are always smiling and being courteous to others so it's not often we are treated so unkindly.
-No concept of time what so ever. Towel desk supposed to open at 0700 - someone strolls in around 7:45. 0630 wake-up calls at 0650! No, they are not automated. Butler Stanley = nonexistent. We met another couple there who requested a bubble bath with champagne and strawberries (it was there anniversary) and their butler prepared this but in the wrong room and never apologized for the mistake. Concierge would put us on hold for simple questions and never come back on the line MULTIPLE TIMES! I swear it seems as if all you do is wait for these people, if they're not late, they won't show up. Don't expect that your transfer will show up on time or show up at all. You have to HOUND these people if you want to make your flight. We called 3 times to confirm our pick-up (because we didn't trust them after we learned how unreliable they are) and the still DID NOT show up! They went to the wrong hotel. Unreal - it just never stops.
-Every day, all day, peddlers in the water (3 of them - sometimes 4) pestoring you to buy their goods. They will surround and smother you to the point that you may actually avoid the beach. If you're sleeping or resting, they will wake you up to tell you to come to them to look at their 'goods'. Yes, they sell weed and they smoke it too so you get the pleasure of inhaling it while you're swimming in the gorgeous blue ocean. Nice and relaxing... NOT! Drove us nuts! Not what you would expect for a 5 star resort.
-Resort is carpeted which is really odd - it should be tiled. The carpet stinks throughout to high heaven - like mold/mildew/smoke/wet sand. The carpet is stained, dirty, and just gross.
-Customs is relentless. They tore our luggage to shreds, tossing jewelry and other valuables every which way - and nasty at that! I wouldn't go back to Jamaica for that alone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Natalie R
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Let me first start off by saying this resort is beautiful, well manicured and very clean. I have stayed at several 5 star all inclusives through out Mexico and the Carribean and I must say that Rose Hall was a very good one. I do believe that there is a difference between a 5 star resort non all inclusive compared to an all inclusive. I felt there were alot more pros to this resort with only a few cons.
The rooms were very clean and spacious. They had flat screen tv's and great beds. The balcony was huge. The bathrooms were set up alittle odd but after you get used to it they were perfect. The triple black out shades were awesome.
The pools and beach were immaculate and the set up was different but in a good way. If you wanted to be near a pool but in an out of the way location you could and the same went if you wanted to be close to the action at the pool bar. The service by the pool and beach was good but the highlight was the bartenders, Morris and Jerry.
The alcohol was all top shelf with a huge selection. They had a great assortment of bottle and tap beers.
The food was ok. Breakfast was consistantly good in the buffet. Lunch was also good. Dinner was sometimes great and sometimes just ok. Sometimes great services can make up for a lack of great food but when service was hit or miss that makes it tough. The surf and turf was very good but the service was not so good. The gourmet was definately the highlight combining great food with great service. The Japanese was as expected, very comparable to a chain hibachi grill, but the service was outstanding. We didn't try the Italian because of all the negatives we've heard about it but we did eat in the Mexican at the IB Suites which I thought was very good. If you like lobster then this is the Resort for you. It is served at every meal and if you don't see it just ask they will make it for you. Certain foods were just ok while others were awesome. The presentation of the food was very incredible.
We did not use the hotels transportation from the airport we booked through Clives transportation. I must say they were professional and attentive. We paid $25 each way plus tip. Clives provided us with a cell phone for $20 with 10 interantion minutes then we bought an additional 500 minutes from the gift shop at the Grand for $8. The service on the phone was great and it was extremely convenient.
While the resort was beautiful and luxurious the service was spotty. I am a true believer in tipping even at an all inclusive but I felt that it was almost a necessity here. There were other times that servers, especially the bartenders, were awesome regardless of a tip. Room Butlers were a joke. I tipped my butler when I checked in then didn't see him for two days. I booked all the restaurant reservations before arriving in order to make sure they did not book up. One night I asked my butler to switch a reservation to the gourmet restaurant, gave him a $5 tip for his service. He told me if there was any issues he would either find us by the pool or leave us a message in our room. Well we never heard from him so when we showed up to the half empty restaurant they said they were booked and the butler never changed the reservations. So again I gave the worker a tip and we were then seated in the half empty restaurant. Now this might seem picky but if you are saying you are the Grand and have 5 stars in your logo then you and your workers should live up to it.
There was entertainment every night. The lounge had a different musician every night and the theater had a different show. The shows were not Broadway productions but you are also not on Broadway but all in all they were fun to watch. The entertainment staff by the pool and beach were excellent offering people that wanted to get involved in volleyball and ocean arobics, etc. but if you wanted to just relax they were not over whelming.
The swim up pool bar was awesome for some laughs and at night the lobby lounge was agreat spot to have a drink.
I never used the spa but did frequent the Gym which had nice equipment but could get very crowded because there several ellipicals and treadmills out of service.
I loved the balance of relaxation and fun of the resort. I would recommend this resort to a friend as long as they understand that the food is usually pretty good and the service was sometimes spotty but other than those issues this resort was excellent. I would be glad to answer any Questions about the resort.

4  Thank TravelAddict403
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Our stay at the hotel was truly amazing. We were here for our honeymoon and we really enjoyed our stay. Everything was wonderful, especially the service we got. If you go to this hotel, try to get Rushane as your butler because he just made our stay easier and we could always count on him if we needed anything. Very professional, service was just impeccable. That made our vacations. We really recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to get some good and relax time, good food and amazing service!

Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband and I returned from Iberostar Grand Rose Hall last week. We wanted to spend our 40th Wedding Anniversary somewhere special. No question that this was the place. It absolutely surpassed our expectations.

Upon arriving at the airport we didn’t want to wait for the shuttle that likely had to make several stops along the way so we found a taxi and the ride was about 25 minutes. It was well worth the $35. We did the same thing for the return flight and again were happy to pay for the convenience. We have always stayed at Sandals where tipping is not allowed so we weren’t sure what to expect at this all inclusive. We were never made to feel that we had to tip but each day we found that we wanted to tip more people because they work so hard to make the guests comfortable and happy.

The resort is elegant and beautifully maintained. The rooms and bathroom are spacious as is the outside patio that has a ceiling fan, swing and sofa. We had an ocean view room on the 3rd floor which overlooked the entire pool area and ocean with an amazing view. The maids came into the room once in the morning and once in the evening to do turn down service and did an excellent job each time. My husband says he has never slept as well as he did at the Grand. The beds and pillows were great. We didn’t require butler service for too many things but all of the butlers throughout the resort made it a point to stop, say hello and ask if we needed anything. The two butlers that were in our area that we found to be the most personable were Okiene and Wheeler. They went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed.

The food is incredible. We have been to many resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. However, never before have we had such gourmet meals. Even the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were great. We had lobster, shrimp and crab every single day at lunch and dinner. At the lunch buffet if we did not see lobster we would ask about it and if they had it, it was prepared for us. I realize that there are other times of the year when lobster is not in such abundance so I think we were just lucky to be able to enjoy it every day. The chefs and the servers at the buffets encouraged us to try their offerings. They really seemed to care if we enjoyed the food. The waitresses were very attentive.

I made as many a la carte dinner reservations as I could online before we arrived and scheduled the rest when we arrived. The only ala carte restaurants we frequented were the Surf and Turf (fabulous filet mignon) and The Gourmet (the Lobster Thermidor was delicious.) The appetizers and deserts were wonderful at both. My husband and I are not big drinkers but we enjoyed the mixed drinks and wine we had at all of the restaurants. Everyone was very solicitous and accommodating. The individuals we especially remember were Kaleel, Ricardo, Desmond, Elvis, and Mr. Dorado who sent over champagne and a special dessert for our anniversary.

Upon arriving back in our room on two different nights there was a hot bubble bath drawn with rose petals and on our bed were two “towel swans” and rose petals. They provided other special treats to make our anniversary special.

Some had expressed concerns that it might be hard to find chairs at the pool and on the beach. We had to sit in the shade as I’m allergic to the sun. It was easy to find loungers in the shade although the resort was no where near full capacity when we were there. The poolside and beachside servers were so friendly also.

The entertainment staff was great, especially Kadeesha. Every morning she’d come over and give me a hug and want to know how we were doing. I did water aerobics in the ocean once and that was fun but after that it got too windy. I kept hoping we could do the aerobics in the pool but the entertainment staff indicated that management thought it might annoy the other guests. I hope this can be done in the future. The spa is beautiful. I had a great one-half hour massage which was very relaxing.

This resort deserves to be the number one rated resort in Montego Bay. Thanks to the staff and management for going out of their way to make this the best vacation we have ever had. We will return and will continue to recommend it to everyone.

6  Thank lovesbeaches08
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!