“Amazing stay at the Grand!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
London, Ontario
“Amazing stay at the Grand!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

We just got back from a week at the Grand and I miss the place already! Don’t pay any heed to any negative reviews you’ve read about this place.

Service – top notch – from the chef at the buffet, to the maids, to the butlers, to the bartenders and yes, even the gardeners – we always got a smile and ‘how are you, enjoying your stay?’. Yes, we tipped, but I do believe that even if we hadn’t, we would have obtained the same level of service. These employees take pride in their work and seem genuinely pleased to be there. Makes a world of difference in the service you get.

Rooms – beautiful…. The beds are heaven, the bathrooms beautiful and the balcony/patios are amazing, spacious and comfortable. Mini bar fully stocked and if we needed anything more, the butlers were happy to provide. We even left a note with a small tip for the maid to ensure we got extra bottled water one day, and everything was there as requested. Rooms are basically cleaned twice a day, the regular clean in the morning or early afternoon and then later in the evening, a full turn-down service that includes the bathroom being cleaned and restocked with fresh towels and the bed pillows switched and sheets turned down with little extras like chocolates, towel art, rose petals, scented oils burning in the room…. Beautiful touches!

Food – excellent! breakfast is always great when you can get your eggs done any way you please, we enjoyed lunch at the beach BBQ (jerk everything and very good!) and dinner at the buffet or the a la cartes was always very very good. Tip… you can order food by the pool (at your lounge chair even) – just ask – there is a menu up at the bar, some days we just ordered a burger or nachos to eat by the pool! You have to remember, you are in the Caribbean, and a 5-star restaurant there is NOT going to be your Michelin-rated restaurant in North America or Europe!! Be realistic people!!! In terms of an all-inclusive, we found the Grand to be best we’ve ever had (and we’ve been to Sandals and some other highly rated places!) The only tip on the food…. Book your dinners as soon as you arrive – we had a few nights with 9 pm dinner sittings and found that quite (well, rather TOO) late…

Grounds, beach, pools, chairs – Everything is beautifully maintained! Someone recently mentioned a lot of broken chairs on the beach – we didn’t find any, and there was one worker who spent his days fixing chairs on the beach, so maintenance is a high priority here. Like all other all-inclusives…. yes, you have to play the chair game which means getting up early to reserve your spot! And watch out, just a towel won’t hold your spot! Ensure you use a personal item of some kind to hold your spot once you find it!

We were lucky to be upgraded (free) to an oceanfront room and we could not have been happier with our accommodations. Stains on the carpets in the hallways? OK, some, but some of the reviews make it sound horribly disgusting – and it’s not like that at all. We were on the ground floor, hallways were well lit, yes, there were some stains but certainly did not detract from the look of the hotel, any smells we found were more due to mustiness due to high humidity in Jamaica – nothing else!

Overall, this is the first time we’ve felt that we paid for a premium resort and actually got what we paid for. Sandals is highly overrated compared to what we got from the Grand. Go and enjoy your stay there! We certainly did and would have no hesitation in going back!

3 Thank mj_dq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,927)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

The total Iberostar Grand experience was one to remember. The service and staff were amazing. We did enjoy the speciality restaurants as well as the buffet. All served deicious dishes. The only down side was the early morning saving chair towel game. Anyone who visits this resort will be amazed at the lunch beach parties, the waiters and waitresses, your butler, the bar tenders, and again the service. We felt totally relaxed.

2 Thank Indylady60
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

Let me start off by saying that after reading some of the negative reviews I was a bit hesitant to book at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, but I am very happy we did.

People that complain about such small things while on vacation must be miserable in general. Yes there are some stains on the carpet but are you really spending the week in the hallway and staring at the floor???? Just getting off the bus and being greeted by a cool towel and the drink of your choice sets the tone for a wonderful week ahead.

Let me break it down for you:

Rooms: Fantastic! Huge bed with a pillow menu :) Bathroom was wonderful and the balcony was superb! The swing was my favorite place to take a nap :) The view was beautiful...the ocean view upgrade was appreciated. You just have to ask for it once you get there.

Food: My boyfriend and I are not picky eaters so anywhere we go we find things we like, but I was able to have lobster all week, curry goat, jerk chicken (my boyfriend's favorite) and all kinds of other things. Breakfast is like any other place: eggs made the way you want, fruits, very tasty orange juice and good cheese :) For supper, The Gourmet restaurant is very good, as is the Japanese. The duck was phenomenal and we were even very surprised at the wine at the supper restaurants. Not bad at all!!! The buffet wasn't bad either. The beach lunch BBQ is great and if you are a meat lover you'll be happy.

Service: The hotel staff is very nice & always willing to help make you more comfortable. They are not always very fast (room service did sometimes take a bit of time) but in the end you're on vacation, so a few minutes more to wait is not the end of the world. The bartenders Warren and Gerry were so fun and gave us refreshing drinks when we ran out of ideas. Vivienne, waitress, was so sweet and kind. The entertainment shows were lots of fun and the disco was not bad either. Much preferred it when they actually played reggae music.

Our butler Ryan was the best. He made sure we had a beach bed every day and always checked up on us. They stocked our mini bar with only what we liked and gave my boyfriend a large bottle of Jamaican Rum as a welcoming gift.

The beach is not the longest I've seen and because I do enjoy walking for hours on the beach I did miss that a bit but it was ok. The water was warm and clear.

All in all, we met great people, ate well, drank well (they have all the premium liquor you could want) slept well, relaxed, partied, .... just had such a good time.

3 Thank red4646
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

I promised myself no more of these "luxury " all inclusives for tourists that like everything spoon -fed, the place was soulless and had no feel of being anywhere different from some sub Vegas experience, manipulated, controlled and trapped by a multi national hotel firm I felt like a converyor belt tourist, lets vote to get rid of these outsize architectural monstrosities that dont fit the environment in a poor country and encourage locallly operated hotels and villas with a regional flavor and built to a human scale with some sympathy for nature, this experience is like buying a fake Louis Vuitton handbag( the truly rich moved on years ago) , you dont need all this to have a great vacation , no risk equals no reward in travel nowadays

1 Thank Sawasdee12
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

Just returned from 5 days and 4 nights at the Grand. It was not nearly enough for me having only two sunny days and 3 of clouds and rain. I’m sure however if I had 10 days and they were all sunny wouldn't have been enough either.
We booked with Apple to be called the Friday before our Tuesday flight to tell us the Grand Palladium where we orginally booked was overbooked and we could either upgrade to this hotel or get a full refund. We only had 45 minutes to make the decision and since I already had everything packed we took a chance. Did I say chance?? This hotel was pretty close to 5 star. The other???? Only the reviews.
Ride: From the airport to the hotel was about 45 minutes. Stop, start, drop people at this hotel and that. Same going back. We had a 6pm flight returning and the bus picked us up at 2:45P. We had plenty of time even with bags to check and no boarding passes.
Hotel: Well if you stay at the Grand you can use all three hotels. If you stay at Suites you can only use Suites and Beaches. If you book at Beaches you stay there. All are nice in their own way. Suites and Grand share the Spa and Gym. Beaches has the pier with the excursions. The whole beach is a 5 minute walk from end to end.
Beach: Clean and nice. Sand is soft and water is clear for the most part. Nothing to see with your snorkel and mask though. little waves at time, can't boogie board or body surf. Can do water aerobics that happened every morning at 10:30. What fun!
Chairs: Suites has the best. The big yellow chairs hold up much better than the ones at the Grand. However, we had chairs that were broken at the bottom and we used it to our advantage by putting our feet through the bottom part. The beach guys will repair the chair of your choice on the spot, just ask.
Rooms: Spacious and clean and smelling like peppermint at all times. Plenty of everything! Those ladies are always around if you want to swap out towels or need anything. We had a standard view that had a little private pool off the balcony that was shared by 6 or 8 units. When you stepped out and looked right you could see the water. Nice! I would ask for this room again. 6025. Nice spot to hang wet stuff outside.
Food: The breakfast buffet was my favorite. Plenty of fresh juice, fruit, yogurts and oatmeal. If your a meat and egg person they had stations set up cooked to order and pancakes, waffles and Panini’s. Overall, I found that the buffets were the best. The little Port Maria was nice. The Gourmet rests, left so much to be desired but I think I figured it out. It is much more expensive to cook for and serve folks in that style that they want you to go to the buffet. So they tell you no reservations or give you real late ones so you eat than blow it off. I really didn't find too much Gourmet and one night the meal was so meager we went for salad at the buffet afterwards. I'm on portion control and run at least 15 miles everyday so I wasn't looking for a huge meal but my Lobster was the size of a 50 cent piece. About as big as the dessert. Salad was awesome!!!The beach BBQ was awesome, with plenty of choices and you could get some items in Port Maria and bring out and add to your plate at the BBQ.
People: I found everyone to be so friendly! We talked, laughed, joked and had so much fun. I left with much more respect for the people here as most of them live in the surrounding area. You can't miss the surrounding area as you drive in. I'm glad the Resort treats them well. They can eat whatever they like and drink non-alcohol, while interacting and playing with the guests. No special shout-outs because everyone is AWESOME!
Tips: Yep everything is included but we couldn't help not tip. We spent about 75-100 our choice. A dollar here and five there meant nothing to us but lots to others.
Trips: The falls was a good trip except while leaving. I hate to be surrounded by people and they were very aggressive with me because we didn't want any trinkets. The Luminous Lagoon was a waste of money. Yep the water glowed blue, our boat driver was BLAZED. He revved the boat while people were in the water, almost hit the boat behind him and couldn't even hard stand up. WOW. Maybe too much of that PUNCH. Shopping by the cruise port is dangerous, pick pocket city. And hey folks, got to make a living but following the tour bus and selling beer and soda. Snorkel was not really snorkel, 10 fish two big rocks called a reef. First timers might have had fun.
Fun: The trip is what you make it. We could have whined and cried about a lot but we smiled and felt refreshed. It's back to work today and I would take one cloudy day there over a day of work here anytime!

1 Thank SuzeeQL
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

All around beautiful and friendly hotel.
Definitely one of the best out there!
Staff is amazing and friendly; rooms are a blessing!!
Favorite part? The Staff!!!

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank MsMegface
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

Our whole stay was terrific. The hotel was clean, beautiful, has lots of activities, and good food. The staff were the greatest. We went back and stayed at the suite with 32 family members last June. Our stay at the suite was even better with the gym and spa. My husband and I are heading to the hotel again on Monday.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!