“The good, and not so good...”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“The good, and not so good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall the first week of December. Our first time in Montego Bay, our third time in Jamaica.
The good:
The resort is beautiful, clean - spotless in fact! Not a single bug! The room was large, the swing on the balcony is a nice touch, and our view was very nice. The bed is so comfortable, better than 90% of the resorts I've stayed in! The food was good, although we are not picky, we are not the ones you find taking pictures of our dishes. The 24-hour room service was a plus! The butler service was great, you do have to "tell" them if want or need something, they don't just "show up" so take note if you are staying here - use your butler, ask for what you need (call them) and they will deliver. The entertainment staff was amazing, so much fun and so friendly - Nicholas, what a jem - we miss you, you made our trip! Housekeeping was great, fast, again, very clean. The aroma they have filtering throughout the resort, especially at night, is wonderful! Nice touch! They have this same scented oil in your room when they come in for turn down service - really liked it! The pool is large, not heated, but not horribly cold. The pool chairs (IF you can get one) are comfortable and the pool towels are soft and fluffy. The bartenders and wait staff were warm, friendly, and very attentive. This is an adults only resort,the only kids I saw were staying next door at the Suites, nice. Best part about the trip, meeting people I will call friend for the rest of my life!
The not so good:
First and foremost - I never felt like I was really in Jamaica, Iberostar is Spanish owned and it shows. Not just in decor, in many ways. Jerk Chicken? No - once a week at a party on the beach - in the afternoon - at the Iberostar Suites next door. No Bob Marley, in fact the music at the pool was horrible, lucky for us it wasn’t loud. What is with that chipmunk song (it sounds like a dance song on high speed). The pool has potential, just not enough "fun" - they have some activities down on the beach, but really missing out on fun at the pool, it's like a pool bar in a library. I don't think this is the staff's fault, owners take note - bring Jamaica to your resort - THAT'S WHY I WENT TO JAMAICA!
Our room, we requested an upgrade, which they said they gave us, not true. The five other couples we met didn't ask for an upgrade, and they had one, oceanfront.... the room they did give us was directly above the lobby bar / piano bar. From noon until 2am all you could hear was chairs moving - note to resort, it's an easy fix, purchase felt circles and place them on the leg of each piece of furniture in the lobby. They make them for this reason, it will eliminate the sound. I mentioned this to the front desk and I just received a blank stare.
The beach in Montego Bay is average at best. Rocky, murky, weeds (and the seaweed has tiny stinging fish - similar to jelly-fish just much smaller, stings - ouch). The beach in Negril is amazing, next time I'm going back to Negril. There is not much the resort can do about this - being a beach person; there is no comparison to Negril.
The pool needs a little life, really needs better music! The chairs, pool or beach, if you want a good one, start early, one night I laid out our towels at 3am (before going to bed) and there were other spots already claimed....and don't use personal items - they will not be there, as we found out by leaving a shirt with our towels. I can't imagine what it would have been like if the resort was full!
All in all, very nice resort missing the culture of Jamaica, still worth the money.

12 Thank Bella_Stella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,922)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

Spent two weeks here over Christmas & New Years.
GOOD RESORT FEATURES;
The employees. They are terrific....friendly,outgoing and always trying to please the guest. We found very few staff members who did not fit this description.
The size of room. Lots of drawer and storage space. Comfortable beds.
Housekeeping service and turndown is generally satisfactory although not always consistent.
Maintenance --- we had good service when we reported a problem.
Entertainment ---- great shows and costumes. Fabulous fireworks display on N.Y. Eve
Room Service --- no complaints. When we ordered, we were told delivery would be either 30, 45 or 60 minutes and that's exactly when it arrived, and food was good.
Room Mini Bar ---usually well stocked but inconsistent. Sometimes, no ice, no glasses and occasionally not what we requested. But a phone call quickly rectified the problem.
General Hotel Area --- washroom, glass windows, doors etc. are clean and well maintained throughout the property.

FOOD; We found the food in all four ala carte restaurants very good, as well as the buffets. Food is fresh, well flavored and steaks were always prepared as ordered. No complaints here.

SPA & GYM: ----large jacuzzi pool which both male and female guests can enjoy together. Jets not really strong but acceptable. Did not like separate areas for men and women (sauna, hot tub and cold plunge) Would prefer to have joint use of facilities even if only for 1 or 2 hours per day. Sauna doesn't seem to work well, and both steam rooms are not working at all. The two jacuzzi pools in both men and women's area are really hot at 104 degrees. Camille, who is in charge of this area, is a real pleasant lady and does her utmost to accommodate your requests.
Gym is a small area and fairly crowded. Only four treadmills which are shared by the Grand and Suites. Whenever we were there, the machines were all being used. However, we enjoyed walking on the beach so it wasn't a big loss.

NEGATIVE COMMENTS;
If we had to make constructive criticisms, it would be about the badly stained carpets. We can only relate to this condition in Bldg 5 on the first and second floors. We don't know what the rest of the guest room hallways are like. However, something should be done to fix this problem. When you are being escorted to your room upon arrival and see huge dark stains (maybe red wine) all along the way, it does not leave a good first impression.
Buffet --- food is fresh and tasty. It would really be helpful if some of the hard-to-identify dishes were labelled so you would know what you are eating. There is a list posted on the counter above but it's hard to sort out and it doesn't always match what's being served that day.
Pool and beach: there are comfy loungers and terrific wicker beds. Problem is a guest can take as many as 8 or 10 towels and hold multiple loungers all day long --- we were next to four such units and NOBODY was there all day until 4:30 PM Meanwhile other guests were walking around looking for a spot to park themselves but no space was available (thanks to some inconsiderate guests). Also, many loungers, especially on the beach, need repair --- the covers are separating from the frames and you practically fall through.
As we said before, the entertainment is great but both recorded music and live band is too loud. The volume is so loud it's hard to relax or carry on a conversation,

We were happy to tip these hard-working employees, especially the drink servers on the beach who always had a cheerful greeting in spite of trudging through the sand in the heat to bring you a cool drink. We never felt any of the restaurant or cocktail servers expected a tip. Our butlers were around regularly to see if they could do something for us.
In summary, we really enjoyed our two week stay at the Iberostar Grand, and we have travelled extensively to many areas, though this is our first trip to Jamaica. The good features far outweighed the areas which could use some improvement. We would definitely return to this resort at some future date.

4 Thank MKS2010
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I was procrastinating in writing my review, but after reading some of these ridiculously negative reviews I couldn't wait any longer to offer a balanced counter-opinion. First I'll refute some of the outrageous things people complained about, then I'll tell you what I liked. I stayed in AND paid for an oceanfront suite in Building 5, from Dec 25th until 6 January. Upper floors (3rd and 4th) in Building 5 are the best rooms in the Grand.

It's true, there is nothing in the hotel that is Jamaican themed in decoration, be it the lobby or the rooms. But, if you want REAL Jamaican vibe then don't stay at a Spanish-owned all-inclusive resort. Stay at B&B's in town or along the coast. And yes, the hallways are dark and if you stare at the floor as you walk you will see some stains on the hallway carpets. I agree that the hotel should replace the carpets with fresh ones and perhaps something more durable, but I never noticed the carpets while I was using them. I was more fixated on getting down to the beautiful beach, the great restaurants, or the thirst-quenching bars. The buffet food was definitely NOT cafeteria-grade food! EVERYTHING was either freshly made or cooked to order for you. I'd like to know what college someone went to that served 10 kinds of fresh juices to choose from in the morning, fresh eggs/omlettes, mini donuts with the icing still warm, amazing kobe burgers, lobster tails, petite filets at lunch, and a phenominal New Year's Eve buffet. There was nothing more you could have asked to have present. Chef Victoria was always there to ask if everything was ok or if you had a complaint about ANYTHING at the resort. Where else would you see a chef in a chef's uniform walking down on the beach even to see if everything was ok? She worked incredible hours making sure the quality was high, which it was. There were plenty of Jamaican dishes at every meal. Again, if you don't think they are authentic enough then don't stay at foreign-owned resort! The Christmas music did play during the day in the public bathrooms and the hallways, but it was not that loud that it disturbed you in your room, and it did not play during the night. The Star Friends did not "yell for 4 hours" on a mic trying to get you to participate. Each morning at around 10 am they would announce what the activities were for the day and encourage people to get involved if they wanted to. They did play music on the beach when they did the water aerobics in the ocean, but that was only for 45 - 60 minutes, once a day. They didn't harrass you or bother you if you wanted to relax. There was always great reggae music playing at the pool bar, which added to the chilled-out vibe of the resort. No, the chair game in the mornings is no fun, but it's a necessary evil when you have prime beach real estate. I wish the palapas were not so bunched together so that you have to hear everyone beat their gums all day or smell their smoke, not that there were that many smokers anyway. The spa does need some TLC. None of the plunge pools were the right temp (in the men's lockers anyway) and there were no instructions for working the Swedish showers. The sauna would not stay hot, no matter how much water you poured on it, and the steam room was broken. The gym opens at 7 am and if you're not one of the first 4 people in line before it does then you have to wait 30 minutes to get on a cardio machine. The weights and machines are good quality, and I preferred to run on the beach instead of on a treadmill anyway. If you really want a cardio machine then go to the gym between 12 and 2 pm.

Alright, enough with countering complaints! Here are my comments about the Grand:

Rooms: The rooms were clean and comfortable. Email the hotel before you arrive and tell them what you would like in your minibar and they will put it there for you. Leave a note each day and tell them what you want re-stocked or changed and they will do it for you.

Butlers/Concierges: The Butlers make the initial impression with you, but it's the Concierges that book your dinner reservations and have the latest info on which restaurants are open that evening or what is going on that you need to know. Check in with them every morning for the scoop. If the Butlers do something specific for you then tip them on the spot because you might not see the same one again during your stay. You will see the same Concierges every day, and they are the real "rain-makers" there.

Tipping: Yes, you have paid to stay at an all-inclusive, and no it's not cheap either. That said, when you spend that kind of money, isn't it appropriate to bring around a $100 for each week you will stay to tip the employees that really deserve it? They never expect it, but they do appreciate it, and no matter what, those that tip have their drinks remembered, their name remembered, and get a little better service than those that don't. I stayed at Sandals Negril where the employees were not allowed to accept tips and I could tell the difference in service for sure at the Grand. Remember to leave a couple bucks each day for the maid, and your room will be spotless. Also take care of the beach and pool waitresses who maintain a smile despite the heat to bring you your frosty drink.

Restaurants/Reservations: Unless you get room service (which is always very good, btw) breakfast is always at the buffet by the pool, and lunch at the buffet by the beach. During max occupancy, when I was there, they also opened the beach buffet for dinner and the breakfast buffet for lunch, to ease the congestion. You can email the hotel 1 week before you arrive and let them know where you would like to eat on which nights and at what times. If you don't do it before you arrive then you can do it first thing with the Concierge when you do arrive. It is a little annoying to be held to certain seating times, but if you don't want to commit to a reservation then you can just go to the buffet anytime and get a great meal. ALL of the restaurants were very good and you will certainly get enough to eat. People were complaining that you leave the Italian one hungry? They give you bread, a special pre-appitizer from the chef, an appetizer, an entree, and dessert. How much do people eat that they would not be full from that?! As for the wine, if you just ask for a red or a white then will bring you just that. If you want to see the wine list then you can choose from some pretty decent wines, and if you want fancy ones then you do have to pay for them. No complaints about any of the food at any of the restaurants or buffets.

Beach/Pool: Aside from the chair game, the beach is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The Grand has the nicest stretch of beach of the three Iberostar resorts, the nicest towels and lounges, the most rock and sea-grass free beach/water, and the most beach waitresses to take your orders. The ocean is clear, calm, and warm like a bath. The pool is beautiful, and there is an infinity pool with stools at the bar, as well as two other smaller pools. You can choose to be right near the action at the pool bar or you can sit farther away if you want to relax and chill. The bartenders make good drinks and they are always looking to lift your mood with a tasty concoction.

Nightlife: After dinner, you can have a drink in the Lobby Bar where they have a singer or musical performer every evening at around 6 and then again at around 10, you can go see a show in the theatre, which starts at 9:45 each night, you can go to the cigar bar for a drink, where you can also shoot pool, or you can sit on your balcony in the relaxing swing or on the couch and have a nightcap. There is a disco located next door in the Suites complex that is open every night starting at 11 pm. I went there New Year's Eve, after the fireworks and again on a Sunday night and both nights were great! The disco is a big place with a big dance floor and different DJ's each night. If you want more nightlife than that then you can grab a taxi downtown to go to a club in Mo'Bay. Just ask the locals where to go on which night. Remember, you have to get up between 6:30 and 7 am to get your choice chair by the pool or on the beach though...

Management/Staff: I was there over Christmas and New Year's, which in addition to being high season, is probably one of the busiest times of the year at the Grand. I ALWAYS saw manager walking around, checking on things and asking guests if everything was alright. They adjusted their staff to meet the demands of occupancy, and I received the same outstanding level of service when they were max occupancy as I did when they were 50% and less. The staff were the friendliest and most hardworking people I have seen at a hotel/resort anywhere in the world. Even emailing the General Manager, she responded in less than 24 hrs! I have to acknowledge the following people for their service, friendliness, and helpfulness:

Butlers: Jorge, Dennis, and Aldane
Pool Bar Manager: Adrian
Pool Bar Bartenders: Garth, Errol, Nordia
Beach Waitresses: Racquel S., Joval, Kimmesha
Pool Bar Waitresses: Vivienne and Racquel

Read as many reviews as you can to gain as much helpful insight and info as you can before you go, but DEFINITELY GO! The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall gets it done!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
20 Thank NJerseyman
ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

My sister and I stayed here last June and it was absolutely the BEST vacation of my life. They completely pampered us, they are constantly stocking your bar full of whatever you request and the help is absolutely amazing... especially Conesha!! We love her!! Not to mention all the butlers were great also! The beach was beautiful, the pools were beautiful, the food was GREAT, and the rooms were so spacious. The whole resort was just breathtaking.. I recommend this trip to anyone who is looking for LUXERY! And another great thing is if you stay at the Grand, you can go to the other rose hall resorts but they can't come to yours.. Don't forget the Disco!! It's so much fun!!!

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank OhioHudson
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

Resort and pool/beach facilities are beautiful and suites are large and comfortable. Staff is helpful and personable. But, the food (both the buffet and the "gourmet restaurants" ) is not of the same quality. Anyone who lives in a large city with a variety of restaurants will be disappointed--food ranges from fairly good to truly medicure, The attempts at typcial American cuisine (pizza, hamburgers, fries etc) are particularly poor. In response to some of the other reviews--I found the rooms and resort to be very clean but the hall carpets were extremely stained and soiled. Not a big deal, but does leave a negative impression.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachtraveler03
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

I stayed with my wife over the new years eve weekend. We were hoping for a 5 star, relaxed getaway weekend in jamaica. Iberostar is not the place to relax. The hotel was playing christmas music all over the grounds, so loud that we could hear it in our room. The beach scene is very crowded, and during the mid day hours the "star friends" bring microphones and speakers to the beach and yell for 4 hours trying to get guests to participate in games. It is not a relaxing situation. We left after 1 day and switched to the half moon, which was absolutely beautiful. Half moon was exactly what we were looking for and made up for the awful experience we had at the iberostar. Also the gym at the iberostar is small and not adequately fitted for the number of guests at the hotel.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelbabbleNyc
reno, nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

I have to agree with Bilanxa...I too..am a fellow trip advisor reviewer and the reviews that people initially gave were way off. I was sooo bummed that I did 2 months worth of research to make sure this was the right place to take my husband for a romantic getwaway, but overall we made the best of it. We were there from Dec 27th-Jan 1st. We have traveled to many different 5 star resorts and this was our first all-inclusive(and last) trip to the Iberostar, so called GRAND. I would also not call it a 5 star. Other people at the pool who had also followed trip advisor, questioned the reviews themselves. I can't believe what we paid per night $600+ and people from the other hotel got upgraded to our hotel free of charge and with oceanfront rooms to boot. Had I known that, I could've saved ALOT of money. Our CORNER oceanfront room had a shower leak that flooded the bathroom EVERY morning you turned the shower off. It was not fixed (or should I say band-aided-3 days later) until I threatened to go to another hotel and PAY FOR IT in addition to what we already paid for to go to the Grand!. The food was, like Bilanxa said, bland at best, cafeteria style, mass volume, no variety..etc. The Surf and Turf was also our favorite, but the mashed potatoes looked like glue. The Gourmet was far from it, but the customer service was great. I will say the customer service overall is awesome in Jamaica. Would I rate this a 5 star, heck no. The wine selection was soo bad, that I ended up finding champagne (Moet) elsewhere. Definitely not the $210 you would pay here. Although, Ardley in the lobby bar is great at making drinks too and sings as well!
The driver that we paid for to the hotel, Gregg Connelly-Reggae Tours, WAS a huge help in being there for us. He took us to other resorts to check them out at our request because we WERE ready to leave. The Ritz was nice, but wall to wall kids and bumper to bumper lounge chairs. My favorite was Half Moon Bay Resort. A bit older, but very nice and if you are looking for a 4-8 BR villa, you can find it here. Unfortunately they were sold out or we would've moved. The pool bar at the Grand is very nice, but it did smell like sour milk when you went to get a drink and had wasps as well that covered some of the bottles. I loved our beach drink attendant. Always had a smile on her face and was just awesome. Leroy our Butler was very accomodating too. There is no casino there if you are looking to gamble, just slot machines. The cigar lounge is nice, but be careful of the cigars you get there because my husband got two duds. As far as the PR girl, Angellie, she did nothing to appease us, when our bathroom was flooded and when someone said that we would like chairs next to the pool, she said "no-we dont save chairs". Even with a flooded bathroom for three days! She also originally gave us a room overlooking the Suites (with alot of kids) when I initially told her we were on vacation w/o our kids. So she moved us to a room that had plumbing problems. Also, when you are there, request the 5 tower. It has better views. I also agree with the dirty, disgusting hallways, especially on the fifth floor. They were red wine stained and just gross. You would think for such a new hotel, they would take care of that. Yuck!
Beach/Pool Chairs-Speaking of chairs, there are NONE. People come down the night before and put their towels from that day there. Eventhough they say they can't be saved, just spiff someone to hold them for you. They WILL put something on the chairs to make it look like they are occupied, though they won't admit it. You don't know how many times we got up early just to get two chairs. It is unfortunate because we would've paid money to have them everyday or just a cabana. The Beach beds by the pool are really cool too, but good luck on those. Our New Years Eve was great as they had an awesome fireworks display. So sorry to be so brutally honest. Had I known, I would not have come here. My husband was not happy the first few days, but we made the best of it and had a a really good time!! I wish others had been as honest!

6 Thank bling15
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!