“Exceeded Expectations”

GreenLeadersGold level
vermont
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We read all the reviews for this resort before our vacation and still were in awe of the beauty and service we were greeted with. The Grand is truly opulent. We were upgraded to an ocean front room which was a bit more private and had an amazing view. The rooms were spotless and very well furnished. Loved the bed and the bedding, the incredible bathroom and the relaxing deck. The swing is perfect! Our butler Hoyke met us upon arrival and seemed to "appear out of nowhere" throughout the week to make sure we were being taken care of properly. (the romantic bubble bath was a great touch) The housekeeping staff kept the room very clean and turn down every night was nice. Even changing the carpets by the beds every night! Food and drink was more than acceptable. Lobster every day at lunch, jerk chicken, fish. beef, lots of salads and more! Specialty restaurants were quite good, especially liked the Japanese and the Mexican. Make sure the make dinner reservations for the week upon your arrival. Drinks were quite tasty - especially liked the dirty bananas. Top shelf liquor. Pools were spectacular, beach/pool beds were so comfy. Yes - you do need to save a chair or bed early which was no problem for us as we are early risers. Beach was a bit disappointing. The first few days the water was cloudy and there were small stones for about 2 feet when entering the water. Seemed like this is weather related as the water became clear and the small stones seemed to disappear as the week progressed. The beach is not huge, walking to the end (dock area) only takes about 10 minutes. Make sure you enjoy using the spa. The wellness pool and soaking tubs are great and all free to use. The massage I paid for was wonderful! The shows were pretty good (cruise ship style) but the stage seemed too small. The dancers and singers were very talented. We would highly recommend this resort and would return in a minute!

7 Thank cosmovt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We just returned from the Iberostar Grand Hotel. We went for my husband's 40th b-day and it exceeded our expectations. The hotel itself was just beautiful, very elegant. The service was also top notch. The staff was truly there to ensure we were happy and taken care of. They were very friendly and everything was "no problem". The maid service was both promt and thorough. Our mini bar was refilled daily with all of our favorites and the butler turn down service was a nice touch. The bar service was good, if you want top shelf liquors, go to the lobby bar. They even come and serve you on the beach, which I really appreciated! The food was also really good for the most part, better than most all inclusives I have been to. The one thing I would suggest is to bring lots of $1s. The employees are so good that you will want to tip them. The shows are also good, especially the Children of the Drum and /Reggae Nights. The beach is not the prettiest I've ever seen, but the beauty of the hotel more than makes up for that. Try this hotel, you won't be dissapointed!

6 Thank ShawnbWashington_DC
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I have been struggling with what to write in this review for a few days. First let me say this was the best vacation we have ever had! My review may sound like I'm a negative Nancy but I'm just pointing out some problems we had that we were not anticipating. They did not ruin our trip in the least. We had the time of our lives.

We booked the Suites for our vacation, but when we arrived the Suites were overbooked and we were upgraded to the Grand. What an amazing surprise: we were thrilled with this upgrade! Originally just my husband and I were upgraded, but with a couple tips and polite discussions with the front desk staff at the Suites about how this was supposed to be a family reunion of sorts, the other 2 couples in our group were upgraded also. We were exceedingly happy with this. We were also willing to just not accept our upgrade so we could stay at the Suites together; however they told us that was absolutely not an option as they were overbooked.

So we all checked in at the Grand. The facilities are beautiful. Our rooms weren't ready, so we went and had lunch. Around 3:30 our rooms were ready. We were in 6015, 6020, and 6021. The view was nice, not perfect because it was obstructed by the dive hut and the outdoor buffet, but nice. We were glad to be upgraded and weren't expecting the best view in the resort! The location of the rooms was very convenient. They were on the ground floor and we were a very short walk from the pool and beach which was good because one individual accompanying us has mobility issues.

We met our butler, who said he would make our dinner reservations for the whole week right away. He called and let us know we had an 8:30 at the gourmet the following night and that he would drop off the receipt. At 7 pm the next day when we hadn't gotten the receipt, we called him and found out that he had not made the reservation. He hung up and 5 minutes later a manager called and said they could get us in to dinner at 7:00. I pointed out that it was already 7:05 and we were told "you have 15 minutes after your reservation time to be seated." So there we were, in our bath robes, calling the other members of our party to be dressed and at the restaurant no later than 7:15. Not a great way to start a meal, but we pulled ourselves together and were seated at 7:13. Three hours later at the Gourmet restaurant, our dinners still hadn’t been cleared from the table, and they hadn’t asked about dessert. At that point we gave up and went to the buffet for a sweet treat.

We were told we could only get one other reservation while we were there (a 9:00 slot at the Japanese on our last night, 6 nights away.) I stopped by the concierge and asked if we could get dinner reservations for the Suites any of the nights and I was told all of those restaurants were booked also. I don’t know if they were giving preference to guests who booked the Grand originally (I certainly understand if they were, I think it’s fair for the paying guests to get what they paid for first) but I was frustrated that we weren’t even able to get reservations at the Suites. After stopping at the Concierge’s office each day and asking nicely, we finally got 2 more reservations at the Grand.

A tip: If you can, try to make your reservations for 6:00 if you want to catch the evening entertainment. 7:30 and 8:00 dinner reservations will not be out in time to catch the evening show in our experience.

At the time we were at the Grand, there was a large group of guests who were in their 70’s and 80’s. They got up every morning and reserved their chairs by 5 am. They each reserved their chairs in the sun by the pool, in the shade by the pool, AND on the beach. As you can imagine, chairs at the pool were very difficult to come by when this group was reserving 3 chairs per person.

I understand it’s the tropics, but I feel it’s worth noting that we saw roaches in all 3 of our hotel rooms. I’m sure that being on the ground floor didn’t help, but the fact that we saw them in all 3 rooms (and if you see one roach, there are 100 more you don’t see,) troubled me.

The food was excellent! There was lobster at the buffet by the pools every day. I had never had Caribbean lobster and I must say I really prefer it to cold water lobster now! It had a great flavor! The Surf and Turf was our favorite a la carte. I would not go back to the gourmet. The Japanese was very good but very salty, and the Italian was good, but not exceptional. I could have eaten at the Surf & Turf every night!

As for breakfast and lunch, after trying a variety of places, we found that we liked the Miranda Hill buffet at the Suites to be our favorite. The service was much quicker and much friendlier. Also we felt there was a better variety of food there. We were not impressed with Aunt Ruby’s at the suites for breakfast or lunch. Both buffets at the Grand were nice, however service was incredibly slow. We were generally done eating (and we eat fairly slowly) before we got our drinks.

One of our favorite meals was the lunch time beach grill between the Suites and the Beach resort. They offered potatoes, cole slaw, corn on the cob, rolls, okra, green beans and carrots, jerk chicken, jerk steak, and jerk pork. It was incredibly tasty, and fun to have lunch on the beach and enjoy the steel drum band.

Room service was fantastic. We ordered it a couple nights and the food always came within 45 minutes and was hot or cold as appropriate.

Overall though, what made this vacation for us was having access to the Suites. We liked the big open pool area better there, the star friends were much more outgoing and welcoming, the lazy river was there, and the guests were much friendlier as a whole. We met some lovely people at the Grand, but they were the exception. We found if we wanted to meet new people, the Suites was the place to do it. It wasn't as stuffy and the people were more outgoing, which fits our personalities better.

Evening entertainment was good at both resorts. We often bounced back and forth between shows at the Grand and the Suites. We thought the costumes and effects were better at the Grand, but the audience participation and star friends portion of the shows were better at the Suites. We basically picked which show to go to based on the genre that most appealed to us. We liked having a choice.

The Disco was small but clean and there was a nice little cove with a pool table also for those who didn’t want to dance. The bar tenders were attentive. Music was mostly 80’s from what experienced the short time we were there.

One of our favorite parts of the grand was Clive, the bartender at the Lobby bar. He was very friendly and made amazing drinks. We missed the mixology class, and so he improvised and taught us our own private classes on 3 different days!!! We came home with recipes for lots of tasty drinks and also his family’s jerk chicken recipe. We can’t wait to try it! He works the 6 am-2pm shift. 1-2pm is generally a good time to visit him.
Housekeeping was very good. They cleaned the room in the afternoon and again in the evening. There were a few days where there were no washcloths. We requested some and tipped when we asked for more (in addition to the tip we left each morning and evening) and did not receive any. It wasn’t a big deal, but I thought I’d mention it. Throw a washcloth in your bag if you really want one.

Not related to the hotel but also worth mentioning, my cell phone is through Sprint and it did not work on the property, though it did work at MBJ. Phones with ATT and Verizon seemed to work fairly well.

We spent a good bit of time at the lazy river at the suites. Be aware that it’s so lazy, it’s dead in about half of the circuit. You must push yourself or paddle or you will remain in place indefinitely. We talked to the pool staff and they said that the engineers were going to come in and fix it hopefully early in 2010. Guests in early 2010 should be prepared for the lazy river at the Suites to be completely closed for a while from what we were told. Also if you plan to spend time in the lazy river, I would bring your own tube. The ones provided are very small and most adults waited for the 2 double tubes and used those to stay afloat. We brought our own tubes and had offers from people all week wanting to buy them from us.
Also at the Grand or Suites if you would like a raft in the pool, bring your own. There are none available.

Other things I didn’t hear mentioned previously – There is a game room for the Grand with pool tables and games and 4 computers with free internet access. Internet access in the rooms seemed to be a little hit or miss and we sometimes had trouble connecting but it was nice to be able to go to the game room and use the internet for free. Also there is a small casino with slot machines between the Suites and Grand. Also, there were several gift stores and a jewelry store and a sunglass store, as well as a beach boutique at the resort. The little shopping area was nice. It wasn’t extensive but we enjoyed it.

The spa was also very nice. We went up there one morning when it rained and enjoyed the hot tubs, sauna, and wellness pool.

Overall this was a really fantastic vacation. There was always someone going out of their way to make sure you were having a nice time or to see if you needed anything. Staying at the Grand gave us the best of both worlds, the luxury and dining options, plus the quiet beach and pool area, in addition to the more lively and outgoing beach and pool at the Suites.

We would certainly return to the Iberostar Rose Hall complex. Despite the negative things I mentioned, NONE of them were a detriment to our fun. We had a ball! We all agreed though that we would have been disappointed if we had paid for the Grand. Maybe we received a lower level of service because we were upgraded, and we understand that and are ok with it if that is the case. Guests who payed to stay there should get priority. To us, based on our experience, the perks of the grand weren’t worth the price difference between the Suites and Grand. We would certainly gladly accept an upgrade that came our way (provided it wasn’t on the ground floor – re: roaches) but the price difference to stay at the Grand over the Suites just isn’t justified in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Duane-Spa
Oscar-Restaurant
Andrew-Tennis courts
Eion-Bellman
All of the individuals listed above were outstanding wonderful people that provided exceptional service to us during our stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall in Jamaica. I have traveled the world and am the VP of Service in the US. I know all about outstanding service and this group was just over the top!!!

Loralin and Ardley became great friends and they are truly wonderful individuals that you will miss after vacation and you will hate to say good bye! We miss them already. Our stay at this hotel tops our travel to Greece, Paris, other islands, Spain, California etc It was beautiful and a lot of fun! The shows and the dancers were outstanding as well. The food was great. Many restaurants to choose from, buffets or just stay in and order room service. A disco that was a blast!

We will definitely return and bring as many friends as possible.

Tommy D and Pamela

8 Thank Umasks77
new jersey
Reviewed November 21, 2009

The reason that I am not rating this hotel as grand is because of the restaurants.
When we got there on Sunday we were told the restaurants were al booked for Sun Mon and Tues and we would have to eat the the buffet.
After much grieve and time on our part we finally did get reservations at the restaurants.

The food at the restarants was very good but we waited about 45 minutes each time just to receive our appetizers
Also every restaurant we went to was half empty the whole time we were there ,so what was the problem? We liked the buffet for breakfast but did not like the food they had for dinner.

The butler service is also a joke. The butler showed up as soon as we arrived and showed us around the room which was self explanatory. Of course we tipped him and then we never saw him for the rest of the week

The maid service as excellent they did our room twice a day

The shows at night were excellent and I would advise that you see them

We have stayed at many all inclusinves over the years and although the Grand was good we like the Riu chain better

4 Thank barbcNewJersey
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My husband and I went for a quick get away at the Iberostar Grand. The resort is unbelievable clean. Great service from the staff, the work around the clock and kept a smile on their face. The food is great considering lunch is buffet, the quality is great and choices are great. Bed and pillows...wow!!

I cannot remember all of the names of the great staff that we encountered. But, Giovanni threentertainer is nice, Patrain the waiter is great and I could just go on and on...Nesta the bell hop is friendly! I mean, this place is just great!! Staff, service, food and cleanliness!

5 Thank PearlAtlantaGeorgia
ct
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Iberostar Grand was very elegant, with lots of attention to details. We had a few problems..but mostly because we like to be spoiled when we are on a holiday..We saw our "butler" only once during our stay..so we didn't really feel like we had one AT ALL, and the policy of needing to be in your room in order to have champagne delivered was annoying, since we like to have it available while dressing for dinner (apres the beach and the pool); disappointingly, on our last evening, we waited over an hour for it...and had to race through it to get to our dinner reservation on time. It kind of ruined our last night there, getting angry about the wait. This was unacceptable to us when our requests were well known, and having had champagne problems all week.. like the day they brought sparkling juice instead., and the day we were told it was unavailable, when just a short time later that night, we ordered a bottle in the Gourmet restaurant (which was our favorite restaurant.)
The shows were very top quality, the performers were ALL excellent. Whether you were in the piano bar, the chill out at the pool, or the main theater, or disco, it was very enjoyable, and there always seemed to be something going on..We also liked the fact that we could wander into the Suites next door, whenever we wanted, to enjoy some of its luxuries.
We thoroughly enjoyed the most comfortable bed ever..and the patio with the swing and the couch, were very relaxing..a really nice touch... the chaise in the room was a liitle smelly, but we liked the atmosphere it created. The bathroom layout was weird for us..the clear glass doors to the shower and the toilet area were much less private than we prefer.
We liked that is was not overrun with weddings the week were there.
As far as improvements, only a few, like the reserving of the pool chairs( it is not fair that people are allowed to claim a spot for the whole day when they spend only a few short hours in that seat, when others could have enjoyed the space.) I am not sure of how to exactly remedy that issue.
The other improvement might be to provide some sort of daily bulletin area or activities sheet to list the events and times of the happenings of the resort. yes, they have the theater posting but not really for other activities.
Overall, we loved it!

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!