“Great relaxing getaway, but . . .” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Apex, NC
“Great relaxing getaway, but . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

My husband and I were on a long weekend getaway purely for relaxation. The resort was gorgeous, rooms amazing, beach beautiful, but the food could leave a little to be desired. The breakfast buffet was room temperature, unless you got a cooked-to-order omelet. Room service was on time, but still not hot. Lunch buffet was ok, a lot of unusual stuff, which was fine by me, but still not hot. That was disappointing. The Japanese restaurant for dinner was delicious; in fact it was the best meal we had while we were there. The italian restaurant was good, much better than the surf and turf restaurant, which was, again, not hot food.

The rooms are amazing, beds are so comfortable. Our favorite part was sitting on the porch in the swing; we had an oceanfront room, so when it rained (which was every afternoon), we just went to sit on our porch and listened to the rain.

The people are amazing; everyone is so friendly and helpful. We did not see much of our butler, but that is not something we were counting on, so that was fine. The drinks were delicious; you could definitely tell the were not shy on the liquor.

The last all-inclusive resort we were at was Secrets Capri in Mexico, and if we were going to compare it to Iberostar, Secrets had better food, but everything else about Iberostar was better. I would definitely return to Jamaica, however, I am not sure I would return to Iberostar due to the disappointing food.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jodi S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,905)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Windsor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

Going to try and make this as short and to the point as possible! Like many others my husband and I were supposed to go to Mexico but switched to Jamaica because of the swine flu. I was very disappointed about the change, but ended up absolutely LOVING Jamaica!!! I always thought of Jamaica being very rainforesty instead of tropical like Mexico, but I was wrong. Yes, on our way to the resort it was very hilly, but our resort couldn’t have been more tropical. There were palm trees everywhere, and it was just beautiful!
The beach is very nice, very comparable to Cancun Mexico…still not as nice as Veradaro Cuba, but I did not complain. As long as it looks nice, I am happy!
The resort itself is just breath-taking!!! Very nicely built and very modern. The rooms are to die for. Because we were on our honeymoon they upgraded us to an ocean front room with a gorgeous bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The beds are unbelievably comfortable…you almost don’t want to get out! There is even a pillow menu which we didn’t even use because the pillows that come on the bed are comfortable enough! The balcony is just beautiful! It is huge! And the swing is such a nice touch. It is very comfortable and so nice to relax in with your loved one and just listen to the ocean!
Our butler service was awesome!!! We didn’t need him much, but anytime we did, he would come right away and do whatever we asked! He even let us use his cell phone to call home in CANADA…we still can’t believe that! The romantic bubble baths he set up were just phenomenal…sooo romantic!
The food was awesome! It is a little difficult for me and my husband to have a large selection of what we like to eat because neither of us like ANY seafood what so ever. So we ate at the Surf and Turf 3 times and got the fillet mignon which was to DIE FOR!!! We also ate at the Mexican next door at the Suites and that was awesome too…definitely recommend it!
The pools – to be honest looking at the pictures before we went I wasn’t very crazy about the pools. I didn’t find them to be very big, and I didn’t like how they were square. Normally the pools at most resorts are HUGE and shaped kinda cool. But once we got there and spent most of our time in the pools, I must say they were quite nice. Very clean, water temperature was JUST RIGHT, and they were just want you needed!
Now, saving the best for last….the most memorable part of our trip were our two favourite AMAZING bartenders….Nigel and Morris at the pool bar. I can’t thank them enough for all the amazing drinks they made and especially for all the entertainment and laughter. They are the most amazing guys I have ever met. We absolutely loved hanging out with them at the bar every single day! Check out my videos of them….I am sure you will laugh!
Now I don’t really want to add anything negative to this review, but I just want to mention that the last day and a half of our trip did get kind of spoiled. There was this big group of people (approx 200) that travel to a different resort every year for this famous DJ’s birthday and unfortunately they picked our resort this year to stay at. They were all very rude, loud, and obnoxious people who did not have any respect what so ever for anyone around them. Until the day they showed up it was a very classy, quiet, relaxing resort. There is nothing wrong with having some fun, but if all they wanted to do was party and be loud and disrespectful, then they should have went to a lower star resort. Absolutely EVERYONE was unhappy with this group of people, but we tried our best not to let it ruin our trip. I must add, that when we saw the manager in one of the hallways, we told him that we were unhappy, like many other guests, and he was very apologetic and told us that they had no idea they were going to behave the way they did or else they wouldn’t have let them stay at his resort. He felt so bad that he gave my husband and I a free hour couples massage in the spa which was amazing!
All and all everything was awesome…the service was just unbelievable. We cannot believe the difference in personalities from Mexican and Jamaican people. Everyone was sooooo sweet, and happy. Not a single person in the whole resort looked unhappy to be at work. We will definitely return. And we will definitely be going back to Jamaica before Mexico in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Melanie S
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

This hotel is a great getaway. Everyone at the hotel was wonderful, and very helpful. I will tell everyone if they are looking for a place to go in Jamaica, this is a great location!

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank VANative22201
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

We just left the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and had a fantastic, relaxing time. The rooms were beautiful and spacious, the pool area was beautifully kept, the cabana loungers were comfortable and plentiful, and the food and service were better than expected from reading other reviews. The property was no where near capacity for our visit so we felt like all of our needs were catered to during the stay.

The bathroom was awesome with separate sinks and areas for both the male and female, including hair dryer, vanity bench, and lighted magnified mirror. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The room also included a DVD player where you could rent movies from the property and this suited us as the nightlife was nothing that interested us. The 24 hour room service was prompt and our orders were always correct. Although we only saw the butler at the start of our stay, he did stock our minifridge with our request white wine, bottled water, and beers. The butler drew a jacuzzi bath one evening and also brought champagne and decorated the bed one night. On the roomy balcony, there is a comfortable lounge chair and a 2-person swing and the view is great.

We had no trouble making reservations through the concierge. We ate at the Surf and Turf and Italian restaurants and had great service and fantastic food at both. The roasted chicken is wonderful as are the lobster tails, which are available at every buffet, and the lobster lasagna is one of the best dishes I've had. We enjoyed eating lunch at the outdoor grill where you could either eat buffet or from the menu. We occassionally tipped if the service was excellent and tipped all bartenders, servers, bellboys, butler, and concierge, but did not feel like this was necessary. We did visit the Suites as well and the food was not near the caliber of the Grand.

This was a wonderful resort and I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone that wants a relaxing vacation away from it all. Only negative was the room service cart did not fit into the room very well and we wound up with broken glass for our breakfast service. There is also a stepdown to the sitting area of the room which can be tricky if you forget about it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Candilah
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

I stayed at the Iberostar Grand for six beautiful fun filled days, and had I the time of my life. The Iberostar Grand is the Best resort I have ever encountered. I had the opportunity to experience everything the Iberostar has to offer. Along with absorbing the tanquil, realxing quite time that the resort provides, I also experienced the fun activities through out the entire week. The staff, Great! The food, fantastic! The Beach, incrediable.

Thus, I rank my experience at the Iberostar as the best ever!

• Stayed June 2009
6 Thank LorenzoThomas
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

This is the nicest most ellegant place in Jamaica-trust me I have been visiting there every year since I was child. The best all inclusive ever!
Beautiful. Romantic. SPECTACULAR Service! gourmet food and beverage.first class.
However if its "spring break" style action your looking for this or Jamaica for that matter is not the place. this is the perfect place for those like me who are usually not satisfied -you will be here, those with class looking to relax and be pampered in an upscale atmosphere.
At the Grand all you have to do is ask but most the time you don't even have to ask. all three resorts in the complex are nice. My only negitive comment (dont even want to mention that word but) is the food was always over cooked and a little bland and the sand a little dirty. with all the above said keep in mind we were there at low capacity but I dont think at full capacity there would be a lack of service. The staff is abundent, well educated and so ellegant. Negil Morris we will see you soon ,mabe we will be neighbors!

m

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank galiagirl
Ancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

My husband and i stayed at the Grand for our honeymoon in April 2009. It was absolutely beautiful. After arriving at the Airport, we were quickly escorted to the bus that would be taking us to the hotel. It was only a 20 minute ride. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted with a refreshing drink, and taken to our room. The room was GORGEOUS. Without asking, they had upgraded us to a beach front room. The view was spectactular, and the room decor far exceeded my expectations. Huge marble bathroom with separte vanity areas, a huge jacuzzi tub, and a shower that could fit 5 people!! There is a huge flat screen TV, and a cd player for music and movies. You can actually rent movies for free. All you have to do is call your butler, and he will bring the dvd's right to your room. There is not even words to describe how comfortable the king size bed was. If it were not for the beautiful ocean, - i could have stayed inside our room the whole time!

Staff for the most part, was very friendly and helpful (with the exception of a few butlers). My husband tipped the butler (10 US) who escorted us to our room upon our arrival because we thought he would be with us for the whole week. As it turns out, you get a different butler everynight, - so save your tip money for the ones who go out of their way for you. Some will.., - some won't. We had asked our first butler for some of my husbands favorite beer. We were promised it, but it never arrived. But then there were other butlers throughout the week that would do anything and everything we requested. Choose your tips wisely! The house cleaning and turn down service was amazing. After returning from dinner one night, we walked into our room to find a bubble bath drawn, with rose pedals! Very classy.

They also have an internet cafe, which made it great to have contact with friends/family back home, and check up on daily news. There is also a cigar lounge, and games room with a pool table/darts/books, etc.. - there is nothing this hotel doesn't have. They were just opening a Bob Marley gift shop while we were there. Awesome shirt selection!

As for the food, - it was very good. My husband loved all the different choices in fish, - and there was plenty! I am a more picky eater, so i stuck to bread and cheeses. I was disappointed in the poor selections of salads. Not much to choose from. But the a-la-carte restaurants were great. Surf and turf was our favorite. The Japanese was fantastic as well. Especially the show they put on while cooking. Italian was pretty good, and i can't speak for the Gourmet because i got sick the night we were supposed to go there. Also, the lobster tail at the lunch restaurant is very good, but make sure you ask for the butter on the side, - otherwise it comes saturated in it!! The best part is the 24 hour service. Many nights (after lots of drinks), we would come back to our room and order in room-service. Ceaser salad and clubhouse was our favorite.

They did have nightly theme shows in the theatre, but we never checked them out. They have a beautiful lounge for drinks in the main lobby. We would usually end up there after our dinner. Bartenders are great. Very entertaining, and they will make any drink you desire. A specail thanks to "Clive"!! He is one of the bartenders and probably one of the nicest people we have ever met. He even went out of his way to make my husband a reggae CD at home, and bring it back to us the next night.

As for the ocean, - it was beautiful. My husband and i picked a spot at the end of the beach where the covered cabanas are. There was a lifeguard stationed there who watched over us every day, and even remember our names after our first day. She would greet us every morning with a friend hello, and make sure we happy. She was great. I wish i could remember her name!! Make sure to bring your own floaties (if you enjoy being on one) because the ones they supply run out fast. And although they supply sun block, - i would bring your own. We used theirs on our first day and i got burnt quite badly. The spa is definatley worth checking out. They have 5 different jacuzzis varying in temperatures that the guests can use. I used the freezing cold one to help with my burn and it saved my skin! They have seperate ones for males/females, so it was very private and relaxing. They also have a million different treatments and services(which cost money), but we did not try any of them.

We didn't try any of the excursions, but heard from other couples that they were great. The trip to Dunns Falls in particular. Oh yeah, make sure to catch the sunset. My husband and i would take a bottle of wine down to the beach and lie on one of the mattress beds and watch it go down. It is a beautiful sight.

My overall review of this hotel would be 5+++. Everything was to our liking, and the customer service you receive really is above and beyond anything i have ever experienced before. I haven't travelled a lot, but i would go back to the Grand in a heartbeat! I would highly recommend this resort for a honeymoon, or a romantic get-a-way. Especially if you enjoy being pampered, and living in luxury for a week!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,940 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!