“Almost great for an All-Inclusive”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Almost great for an All-Inclusive”
Reviewed May 2, 2009

I would have to agree with the last review, that I have received better service at other hotels that were not all-inclusive. There are defintely gaps in service and they focus on certain areas but then they blow it in the details. Room service was always received at room (ambient) temperature. Butler service is realy just a name for another person sometimes providing room service that you can request things from. Sometimes something gets lost in translation along the way and sometimes it works out perfectly. They say they will personalize your mini-bar but usually when I requested additional specific liquors, what I received was a glass full of vodka, whiskey or whatever with plastic wrap over it. If they brought botlles it was difficult to get more than two airplane bottles at a time. We had a great time here and all in all it was a nice place to relax and get away but now that I have been there I find many of the reviews over-complimentary of the service that was present during our stay. If you are truly used to being catered to, you will most likely not find it here. If you want an all-inclusive with great rooms, good food and a corporate feel this is for you. This is not to take away from some of the individuals that work there that did go out of their way to cater to whatever you wanted. Keep in mind, the problems I encountered where similar to problems that I get at any business hotel in the states. When you look at the reviews and literature available I would think those would be the little things that are worked out because of "impeccable" service. That was not the case but still a nice vacation.

5 Thank IslandTraveler09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,998)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Jersey
Reviewed May 1, 2009

My two daughters (ages 23 & 27) and I just returned from the Iberostar after a 4 day "girls getaway" and we were quite disappointed. Unfortunately with the discovery of the Grand and its related increase in capacity, service has suffered greatly. We chose the Grand after hearing a stellar review from family members who visted in early April. At the time of their visit the resort had a very low occupancy. To the contrary, during our stay the hotel was much busier.As stated by other reviewers, we were told the increase was partly due to upgrades given to guests in their other properties. How nice of them to give complimentary upgrades, Had I known this, I would have booked at the beach or suites and saved myself some money. Briefly I will outline some of our disappointments during our stay:
- the outside bar and restaurant ran out of both bottled water and chardonnay one day, I didn't understand why someone did not just go inside to get more???
- it took three phone calls and TWO HOURS to get towels one evening as my daughter stood soaking wet in the shower - unacceptable!!
- we were told one afternoon at the pool after asking to order some food the kitchen was no longer taking orders, it said on the restaurant listing inside by the concierge food service was until 6 PM, it was 5 PM when we asked and others had just received their orders
- Butler?? what butler?? we saw him once upon checking in, he promised to bring us a few items missing from our room, they never materialized!
- a cooking class and yoga that were scheduled never took place and we received different answers from various people why - no one seemed to know what was going on
- food overall average - room service - COLD!! - when they ran out of things on the buffet they were unbelievably slow to refill or never refilled

My overall feeling about the Iberostar Grand - if you want to go, you better go soon, and definitely be prepared to tip. Those who tipped received service, so money is the name of the game. Although, our family members who were there in early April did not tip. I guess occupancy was so low, service personnel were bored. My other observation is that the resort is already showing some wear and tear after being open only 4 months - (a bad sign!) stained carpets in the hallway, light fixture in our bathroom hanging out of its socket, walls cracking.

I have relied on trip advisor many times and have never been disappointed. Having stayed in March, 11 days at the Villa Renaissance in Turks and Caicos - unbelievable, and two years ago spent 10 days at L'esplanade in St Maarten - magnificent!

Perhaps an all inclusive is just not for me, if you love to drink and are happy with ordinary food and fairly nice accommodations, then this is the place for you! Enjoy, but don't look for me there!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank JandJ8208
burlington
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This review is from the end of March to the beginning of April-1 Week trip.
I will try to write this so that it flows from the start of the trip until the end.

Please be advised that if you don't like to read I can summarize very quickly the trip. It is an absolutely fabulous place to visit and we had a perfect vacation. That really summarizes everything. If you visit this place and don't like it then perhaps you really should never leave home.

For the more detail oriented let's begin (please be advised the previous positive emails do encompass all of the wonderful attributes of the place).

Airport:
The airport arrival was fairly smooth and reasonably quick. We did have to wait for a second bus to take us to the resort. Please try to remember you're a Jamaica and they don't move as fast as North Americans. The resort was approximately 15 to 20 minutes away from the airport.

Arrival:
You are greeted with the cool towel and Mimosa at check in. Once you enter, the lobby is breathtaking and characteristic of how beautiful the place is.
Check-in is quite smooth and from the main entrance onwards everyone is super polite.

Room:
I did not understand why people would talk about the bed but it is actually perfect-you will never sleep like that again. The room is spacious with a fully stocked minibar (premium quality). You can ask the butler to put whatever you want in their-I did and the service was quick. There is a safe in the room. There are double sinks, Jacuzzi tub, walk-in shower, flatscreen TV (if you really need it). The balcony has a great swing and comfortable couch. The room was perfect and very clean-nightly turndown was splendid.
Room service was topnotch for breakfast or dinner.

Food:
At this point, there are 4 restaurants available for dinner, but only 2 are open each night due to low occupancy. This will change as time goes on. All four restaurants have excellent service, food and presentation.
There is one breakfast buffet/restaurant (with menu service), and one lunch buffet/restaurant (with menu service).
There is very little Jamaican food available, which definitely should change-We are in Jamiaca.
You have access to the sister hotels for food.
We walked along the beach one day and they had a steel drum band playing outside (next door) and a BBQ-jerk pork and chicken etc. Lunch was there that day-no problems eating next door and enjoying the music.
Some of the food items were filet mignon, rack of lamb, lobster tails and other quality foods-everything was truly superb!!!

The “complaints” are:
-that a lot of food was presented with out you being told what it is.
-the utensils to pick up the food were not practical-you will see.
-breakfast would be better served where lunch is-the open air beachfront restaurant.
Beach:
Very nice. There are some pebbles and shells, but this was never a problem-step over them. The water was very clear. There was a bit of seaweed, but this was raked up everyday. There are a ton of umbrellas and covered beds, which were hardly used at all. The ocean was calm due to the 2 reefs (one close to shore, one farther out). The beach is long enough for a nice walk (about 15-20 minutes end to end), and to use the water sports, you do have to walk to the far end. If you keep walking beyond the 3rd hotel, there is a little shopping village off the property, which is great for cheap souvenirs. The people are “aggressive” but you do feel safe in this area. The hotel souvenirs are quite reasonably priced when compared to the beach.

People:
The people for us truly made the trip memorable. EVERY single person from the front door was superb to deal with. On this note I would like to say that I could see why some people may have negative comments. To be clear the previous comment relates to visitors and not staff. We had dinner one evening at the Japanese restaurant and a couple at the table were quite rude and abrasive to our waitress. You must remember some of the staff are new and young-if they're not sure of something there is no need to be rude-no amount of money entitles anyone to be rude to the staff. We are in Jamaica and at times things were slower than we're used to in North America-but if something is wrong, they certainly try to correct it immediately. The point is being on holidays try to relax and give hard-working, polite people a break. Even though tipping is not expected, we certainly did as most people we felt deserved it.
The Star friends were very entertaining and friendly, (Lorenzo, Makari and the gang).
The waitresses were phenomenal-a note for management-please consider changing the ridiculous dress code for outdoor waitresses-those uniforms are way too thick to be wearing in that heat. Anyone else who reads this and sees this, please help us help those waitresses (we promised to comment on this). It is interesting that management does not have to wear such heavy clothing.
We did actually meet with top management from the resort (from Spain) and they were quite interested in hearing about the pros and cons of their resort-they were very receptive to guest comments.
We actually did meet some great people (Francois and Nathalie, Lori and Ronnie, and an entertainer from Montréal-Le Canard (Yvan) and Joanne).

I've tried not to repeat what others have written-they are 100% correct, it is a fabulous place to go visit. Hopefully not too many people will flock to this little gem.

For the Iberostar-if this level of service decreases or the quality decreases we would not return. It is a beautiful place that we hope does not change for the worse. Management seems quite intent on maintaining the quality standards.

Departing:
Fairly smooth-be aware there are a lot of stores in the airport upon departure-you have plenty of choices after clearing security. Internet access is quite good and free (pool table room) to check your flight status.

14 Thank one-life-2-live
kingston
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We are actually Jamaicans who have stayed at a few resorts, the last being Sandals Royal Carib. Iberostar knocked it out the park... food, the room, the spa, grounds well kept, nightly entertainment. We didn't want to leave! Our butler arranged a visit to Glistening Waters in Trelawny - you should try that. This resort is highly recommended for a romantic getaway, relaxation or just for sheer luxurious treat!!!

11 Thank h2joracle
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand in Rose Hall the week of April 18th. We had an absolutely wonderful vacation! This place is so incredibly relaxing, and the staff is practically tripping over themselves to help you. The concierge desk was amazing; people like Christina were always ready to make your stay better in any way possible. We didn’t use our butler much, but Christoph did surprise us with a drawn bath, candles and flowers after our scheduled couples massage – it was awesome!!!

The pool and beach were absolutely beautiful. We loved the cabanas – so comfy and we literally spent the entire day in them. The hotel was at about 50% occupancy so finding open chairs or cabanas was easy, but if you really wanted one in particular, you still had to get out there early. Morris and Santino, the pool bartenders were fantastic and always greeted you with a big smile, as did all of the cocktail waitresses and the ladies at the pool concierge.

The food was truly fabulous! The Japanese was our favorite – I don’t know how you can make Japanese food taste better, but believe me this place has nailed it. The a la carte restaurants were all way better than anything I have ever had at an AI. The buffet was open on select nights, but to be honest, we went over to the Suites next door and the buffet there was really, really good and the selection was incredible!

The rooms were perfect and the beds were heaven. We took full advantage of the pillow menu and both of us slept like logs. My favorite was coffee in the morning out on the veranda. The swing was the Caribbean version of the “lazy boy”. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

The only complaint I had was that some of the guests were upgraded from the Suites hotel for no extra charge. We paid more to book at the Grand, and it put me off a bit to know that they were getting the same vacation for a lower price. Hopefully that won’t continue.

All in all, this was a spectacular vacation and I would recommend it highly!

12 Thank Fabuless
Chicago
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand and although the resort was lovely, we were a little put-off by all the free upgrades that they made available for alot of guests during our stay. Our stay was marred by a class of people that did not need to be upgraded so unfortunately, we and SEVERAL other guests that paid to be at the Grand, were a little disappointed by that. Service was not top notch all the time, busy taking care of the free upgrades, I guess, and also the owner of the resort was staying there at the time, so everyone was running around to make sure he was taken care of! Now enough with the negative!!! We refused to let that ruin our good time. The resort is absolutely beautiful!!! Service, most of the time was great! The lobby bartenders were awesome!!!!!! Our favorite was Jahmar (martel:)) He is such a sweet guy! Another favorite, of course, was Allondo in the cigar bar, never tried any of his coffee drinks, but he is great for conversation. The food is wonderful! As everyone else mentioned lobster whenever you want it. They do have to ration the lobster as it is not in season now. The butler service is nice, but we just never used ours much, just to press an item of clothing here and there. Overall we had a wonderful time, not sure if we will stay there or the Ritz next time, just because of the upgrade fiasco. Definitley will NOT stay if they do upgrades again, but would love to if they don't. It is definitely worth the money to stay there!!!

7 Thank xray35
montreal
Reviewed April 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand from April 11-18th. I cannot say enough about this hotel, the staff, the FOOD, the pools, the beach. There are no words to explain how amazing this place is. The rooms are gorgeous, the food and presentation of the food truley unbelievable. I told the Executive Chef who goes around each of the resto's, buffets to see how the staff is doing & making sure everything is up to parr, we told him that the food is amazing & to keep up the great work. The food at the buffet on the beach is delicious, fresh samon on the grill etc...so much to choose, you have to have the LOBSTER Tails from the main menu, you can order from the main menu and have the buffet also. The meat is AAA ground beef, they have plenty of variety and we tried everything and all was amazing. The deserts are to die for. The main buffet in the hotel, the food is incredible also, Breakfast and supper. The shows were great, the disco a lot of fun. Please tip the waitress's on the beach, at 90%, you will not have to get up from the beach to go get a drink as they are always making sure you are ok, they all deserve their tips for the wonderful service. You have to see Morris at the pool bar also. There is also Courtney at the piano bar in the hotel lobby who we would go see around 5:00 for our coffee with Spangsters RUM cream - he sure knows how to give great service. So many people we met there would rant and rave too about this place and we were all saying WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!