“must do!!!!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Just back from Montego Bay and love, love, love this place........best Easter ever. When we got there the grounds were FANTASTIC. The people who work there were great. From entrance to leaving......we never hear the word NO! When we first when to check in we received cold towels to cool us down and mimosas. They made sure our flights in were ok and that we were ok. Got checked in and went to eat immediately. Steaks and seafood as soon as we got there and drinks on the beach. The pools were great the beach was great also. When we finally checked in the room was OUTSTANDING. Man oh man, I have been to several top resorts but this place was like HEAVEN! Late nights we were hungry and called room service ordering things not even on the menu and we had them delivered with the favorite saying....NO PROBLEM! Would go back in a heartbeat! Thinking bout making this place my second residence.

9  Thank virgotech

Reviewed April 17, 2009

This was one of the most unforgetable vacations we have ever been on. From the top of the line food and the wide selection. The staff was incredible especially one star friend in particular lorenzo !! This man you must see when you go here he will absolutly go out of his way to make sure that everything you need you have and that you are completly satisfied!!! He made our vacations by far.. i think a promotion is in order for this star friend !! The bartenders were great they kept the drinks flowing and remebered what you wanted at all times. The cleaning staff is great cleaning your rooms 3 times a day. All i can say is worth every single penny that you spend. !!! Will be back without a doubt

5  Thank vpx6977
Reviewed April 13, 2009

So we fly down to jamaica with Air Transat from Montreal, nothing to report, within 2 minutes out of the airport get proposed weed twice due to my eternal teenager looks, half the bus gets kicked out because with competing tour operators, hotel is about 20 mins away right off the main A1 highway.

So as soon as you walk in you are greeted with a warm welcome to Iberostar and blablabla. Throughout your trip you will notice virtually all staff regardless of their positions will great you night and day. Makes for a nice, friendly atmosphere. First thing you notice is the gorgeous lobby. Plain beautiful. A lot of thoughts (and money) was pored in the decoration of this hotel and the more design inclined guests will be delighted to notice new details everyday (Do you recognize the golden tiles in the lobby bar?!).

You are swiftly taken to your room with a mini oversight of hotel amenities. Door opens: wow. Very well decorated, very comfortable bed (wish i could bring it home with me!), mini bar is full (4 beers, 5 or 6 liquors , water, pops, and mini bottles of white and red wine), tv has enough channels for you to zombie in front of it for a full week,dvd works, ipod dock works just fine even if it wont let you blast your neighbours ears out. bathroom is spacious with the cleverly opposed his and hers sinks (love the orange LED btw, makes for a nice modern touch) A plumber guest we met later on the week mentioned the bathroom was really well made, speaks millions. Internet: 1st thing you do is call the concierge or buttler to get your id and pass for the internet (free). buttler shows up within 5 minutes of us getting in to show you around the room. More on the buttler thing later. No wifi but an ethernet socket, they will provide you with cable if need be. speed is ok so long you dont start torenting the place down. Bring your airport express and create your own network, it works and make your neighbours jealous by surfing from the patio (eh eh eh). Speaking of which, Patio is my favorite place wherever I am in this world and this one will be my favorite hang out for the week. Nice comfy couch and suspended chair. View is great, ocean is clearly in sight even if we paid for the reg rooms.

Speaking of which, all rooms, but the presidential suite (check out the Balinese door on that one, worth the trip to the far end of the 4th floor) are pretty much the same, no difference. So far only the east wing of the Grand is occupied and thus everyone gets a partial or full view of the ocean and pools below.

Food! the all important topic. Well, let me give you a Montreal perspective. You wont find any Club Chasse et Peche or Toqué in this place but I doubt anyone will go starving either due to bad food. Let me start with my favorite: the beach/pool restaurant. As everyone has read the night buffet is still not opened in the Grand Hotel section but if what we see and eat at lunch buffet by the pool and beach is any indication of what it will be, damn, Im coming back just for that. Restaurant is mix of buffet and a few menu items. Gorgeous presentation, fresh ingredients, variety but they keep it simple. Just praises here. Ask for fish of the day (Mai Mai usually) or the lobster (better than at any other restaurants in the hotel complex). For the evenings, you have quite some choices: the 2 restaurants in the grand section (out of 4, changes every night) and the 8 others in the Suites and Beach sections plus the buffet restaurants. Side note: if you are interested in any Beaches restaurant (Cajun!) reserve day one, that part of the complex is packed and they run out of room in their restaurants by Sunday morning. And no, you dont get overidding privileges, we did not try tipping our way through this situation. As for the regular evening restaurants, here are my thoughts: Iberostar, as any other all inclusive hotel chain suffers from the same diseases: 1) trying to make ''haute'' cuisine without having the proper quality ingredients and staff to do so and 2) not understanding that a restaurant kitchen should be bustling with activity and be able to handle more than 20 people per hour with 3-4 waiters and 3 cooks. Let me clarify. Food you will eat is good but nothing exceptional to say the least, my advice is to keep it to the simplest dishes, do not try anything you would salivate about in the best restaurant in your own town, you'll be disappointed. Surf and turf is really good in our opinion, great fresh quality meat (local or imported? I was wondering) just forget about the lobster chowder and the grand seafood plate in entree. Did not try Italian and Japanese restaurants (why in hell would you come to Jamaica to eat risotto or sushi???). Gourmet was very disappointing. Speaking of which, restaurant decors are quite beautiful and well thought off BUT the Gourmet were they somehow thought eating ''gourmet'' was synonym to Disneyland-ish greek/roman decor. For gourmet try the one in the Suites section, much nicer and food was prepared much better. Mexican in suites was good although a mix of restaurant and buffet. Suites buffet restaurant should suit most of your needs if tired of all a-la-carte restaurants. Also, only place you'll be able to try Jamaican cuisine. For bearkfast, nothing to report, you should be able to find something to suite your appetite.

Hotel grounds: well, here is an interesting opportunity to do a bit of social observation. As you have read before there are 3 hotels on the grounds to cater to a wide variety of clientele. Walk down the beach towards the east and observe, its quite impressive how you get to one extreme to the other, I wont say more. Beach is quite nice, plenty of room and plenty of palapas, no need for the 6 am reservation rush in that part of the complex. There are tennis courts and a basketball course in the southern part of the complex at the Suites level. Golfing is possible to the numerous courses in the area, just ask your concierge/buttler.

Concierge/Buttler: speaking of which, you have a buttler that comes with room. In reality he/she does the same duties as the concierges but will come straight to your room. EIther or these folks are very helpful with any request you may have whether its restaurant reservation, mini bar preferences, booking spa, trips etc. There is literally always someone on hand for you from 6 am to 11 pm.

Spa: not advertised enough, its free but the massages and beauty treatments. 3 sections, 2 by genders and one common one which is usually closed off afert 6 due to private massage sessions. Try them all, worth it, I dare ou to try the ''rustic'' shower, really.

Let's get out of the compound: we did black river/YS falls, zipline and the Rose Hall great house. black river is ok but is the same as any other mangrove you may have seen before, sights looks like vietnam for some odd reason, few crocs to be seen. YS falls is gorgeous, way less crowded than Dunn's falls (#1 reason why we chose YS), superb grounds, whish the tour would leave you more than an hour there as you could easily R&R the whole day. zipline ( Zukka? Hukka? cant remember the name) is worth the $86 a pop: rough ride to the hills but only 20 mins away from hotel, numerous and professional staff, top notch equipment, you feel secure the whole time and dont forget to look at the sea front, not below ;-). Rose Hall great house is a rip off ($20 per person at entrance) but worth it if you combine it with zipline (like $6 extra with transportation), gorgeous furniture but 20 min tour with comments robotically recited by guide.

Nightlife: did not try hip strip. However, two main options: the bars or the shows. For the shows, they rotate between the suites (large theater, lots of guests) and the grand (smaller venue, staff hunts around in evenings to get guest to show up). nonetheless, shows are great quality regardless where you watch them, Iberostar seems to pride in hiring the best for entertainment, and it shows. Watch out, some are not PG13. For bars you mainly have the lobby bar and the cigar lounge in the Grand Hotel section. I recommend the former. Notice how you could imagine Andrey or Ardley in any of the hot nightlife spots in your home town. They know what they are doing, put on a show and the booze is A+.

Speaking of which (again), the staff you will encounter at this hotel gave us the best vacation ever in our short Caribbean experience. I am not going to brag about which hotels I did in this world (useless! ''Ive been to such and such and thus I am an expert!'') but really Jamaica seems to be the only country to have clearly understood that tourism is a business i.e. make them happy and more will come but even better the Grand Hotel, with its friendly, top notch staff, from the pool boys/ladies to the waiters were outstanding in making sure we were having a unforgettable vacation. Props to Iberostar for their staffing efforts.

Would I recommend it? hell yeah! Gorgeous hotel and grounds, awesome staff, good food even though there is (always) room for improvement.

ps: you will not pressured to tip if maybe mildly so by bus drivers/tour guides. regardless of what you decide you will get the same service, amazingly enough!

11  Thank colinmerlin
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Hotel the last week of March 2009 and were treated like royalty.

The room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. Lots of closet space and very big bathroom. Mini bar was replenished every day. Every night with the “turn down” service, there would be a tea light burning under scented oil which would make the room smell heavenly when you returned back to your room. Very nice touch.

The food was beautifully presented and was very good – small portions but just enough. The desserts were HEAVEN. You can ask for another serving if you are still hungry. The only issue that we had was at the buffets - you didn’t know how long the hot food had been sitting out and it was usually cold by the time you got to your table. As the hotel was maybe at 30% capacity, the turn over of the buffet food was slow and this would account for the food not being hot. We believe this will not be a problem once the hotel is at capacity. For both breakfast and lunch, you could always choose something from the menu or the buffet or both. You will not go hungry as there is a wide variety of foods at both these buffets. At the restaurants, ask what wine they have as each restaurant could have different varieties of wine(s) available. The wines were mostly Spanish and Chilean but we were able to obtain Yellow Tail white from Australia at the Surf and Turf restaurant one night.

The bathrooms at the beach were beautiful and always clean.

Thanks to Kaneesha & Yanique for their wonderful bar service on the beach and their smiling faces each day.

Thanks to Star Friends Lorenzo, Makari, Monique & Melissa who are just a few people that we befriended during our stay.

All the staff worked very hard to make sure that our stay was memorable and it was! Can’t wait to go back!

If this hotel can keep up this type of service when they are at full capacity, they have a winner on their hands.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Blue_Hawaii_09
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My hubby and i wanted a relaxing quick vacation and the Grand was perfect. It started as we arrived with cold towels as soon as we got out of the bus. We were the only ones checking in and they brought us welcoming drinks. It was a 'BIG' birthday for me and the following night we walked into our room after the show and our jaccuzzi was filled with bubbles. Also, there were balloons hung and a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. The service was exceptional all 6 days we were there. The pools are beautiful, and they even have suntan lotion there you can use when you get your towels. The place was fairly empty, we felt like we had it to ourselves.The gym was small, but i never had to wait to get on anything. My hubby played tennis with the pros and said they were great. We did not use the spa so i can not comment on that. We only hope the service continues once word gets out how fabulous this place is and starts to really book up. Everywhere you looked, people were cleaning. It was spotless. Our butlers were terrific, they were there if we needed anything.Everyone was always helpful and asking if everything was alright.Overall, this was one of the best Relaxing and Restful vacations we ever had and plan to go back. And the food was very good for an AI. If you want more action, you can always walk over to the suites where more activity seemed to be taking place. The water was very calm and crystal clear the first 5 days we were there, then on our last day,there were waves, and the water had a lot of seaweed and was not clear. It also was cloudy so maybe a storm was brewing, but we had gorgeous weather the first 5 days. We can not wait to go back !

10  Thank suzy13
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We had a great time at this beautilful resort . We had already been to Mexico at the Grand Parisio, this resort fell right in line with our expectations. This hotel chain knows the meaning of vacationing. The staff was awesome , from the maid service to the butler service. Star friends ,bartentenders & waitstaff brought a smile to my face. We would like to thank everyone we came in contact with, we would like to name names , but would be afraid we would miss someone. We are spreading the word about our secret spot in Jamaica. We'll be back next year for sure, with a bigger group, guarenteed ,
The food was superb, preparation was breath taking

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank wwwhhhooooo
Reviewed April 9, 2009

My husband and I visited the Iberostar Grand in March. We were looking forward to a place that we could be pampered, enjoy great food, and all in a clean environment. We were not disappointed!

We were lucky to have visited after just recently being opened in January. The whole place smelled so clean wherever you went. The staff was always polishing, cleaning, even touching up paint.

The food was better than we could have imagined. We sure had our fill of lobster there. One day I had lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner! The rest of the food was just as great. We ate at all the resaurants. Our favorite was the Surf and Turf. My husband had filet mignon and lobster and I had the chicken and lobster. Both were good but the chicken was outstanding! I've never tasted such moist, delicious chicken. We found it amusing we were raving about the chicken almost more than our filet or lobster! We did venture over to the Suites for their lunch buffet and to eat at the Mexican restaurant, but I don't think I'd do that again. The Grand hands down has the best food. Why leave?

Our room was kept spotless. We loved the 24 room service. We ordered food a couple of times for late night food/dessert. We also ordered breakfast twice so we could eat it out on our balcony. That was amazing as our room was located overlooking the ocean.

Our butler Ardonick was the best. My husband asked to him to draw a bath one night and he did leaving candles, flowers, and champagne. It was amazing. The night before we left he tried to surprise us by doing the same. This time he left a plate of fruit as well. My husband asked if he could hook us up with some chocolate as I like chocolate with my fruit and sparkling wine. When we came back later that night we had this most amazing mousse dessert wrapped in hard chocolate. It was yummy!

Since the hotel was only at about 20% capcity we found it very easy to get chairs or our favorite-the beds. They have beds at the beach or the pool. We felt like celebrities laying out on those beds all day.

We did take two excursions. One to Dunn's River Falls. We got a DVD of ourselves climbing it with our group. That was a nice touch and a nice memory that we now have to watch. The other that I highly recommend is the Zip-line adventure tours. We had so much fun sailing across the jungle on our zip-line.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about this hotel! It is absolutely amazing and you won't be disappointed. It may be a little bit more than the Iberostar Suites, but it is SO worth it!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!