“A must stay!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed at hotel for 10 days. Service staff, hotel amenities were outstanding. Our every need was taken care of , and the staff in every part of the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. Beach and pools were great, with activities every day, or there was a quiet area if we didn't want to participate on a given day. Housekeeping was excellent. I would like to personally acknowledge Raynard (butler), Natalie (housekeeping), Dwayne (lobby bar), and Dorette (tours). Front desk was always accommodating and collectively made our stay wonderful. Will definitely return to the Grand, and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your cordial review of our hotel. We were grateful to hear that our staff, beach/pools, butler service, housekeeping and tour services had been satisfactory. Our team works ceaselessly to ensure that our guests are treated to efficient and sincere service, so it was indeed rewarding to hear that we left an indelible impression on you. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will bring your friends and family with you on future trips.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This 5⭐️ hotel was awesome! The staff was amazingly helpful and friendly. They could not do enough for you! Our butler Duran and housekeeper Sharon were two of the most lovely people I have ever met. The front desk staff were extremely professional. All staff were well groomed and professional dressed. The Star Friends and bartenders were incredibly fun! The resort is immaculately clean inside and out. Our only recommendation would be that we wish we knew that you were able to make restaurant reservations by email before you arrived. The Italian restaurant was superb - Shrimp and Lobster Curry Risotto melted in your mouth! Thank you for a memorable vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Teri531

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your sharing your review on this website. We are grateful for the chance to have served you on your first visit to our hotel. We were certainly enthused to hear that our Butlers, Housekeepers, Front Office Staff and fine cuisine had contributed to an unforgettable vacation. We look forward to being of service again in the near future and would love the opportunity to treat you to another impressive stay.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a five night stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We chose this hotel for our March "suncation" because of its 4th place finish in the 2013 tripadvisor traveler's choice all-inclusive rankings. Specifically, because it beat out our normal go to location in Cancun, Le Blanc, (which finished at #6). We like top notch places, and our experience at Le Blanc the previous year had been outstanding. We thought that any resort that could rank higher must be better, or at least comparable given the similar room rates.

Unfortunately we were disappointed. Let me be clear, this is a good hotel. There is much to recommend it, and I will do my best to call those out. However, given the equal price point, the same restriction to adults only, and similar airline costs from my home town in Seattle, I will not be returning. I ranked this hotel as "average" because, when compared with the other all-inclusive resorts I have stayed at, it would rank as "average". Keep in mind, my wife and I stay at five star resorts, so my idea of "average" may not hold for everyone else.

Drinks: Neither my wife nor I are booze hounds. We prefer a few quality drinks over a continuous flow of inexpensive alcohol. Over all, the quality of drinks at the Grand was poor to good, depending on the bartender, of which there are several. A couple of times I made a concerted effort to go back to the same bartender, only to see a completely new lineup of faces. The plus side is that you are never waiting more than a minute for a drink. Overall, pretty decent drink quality.

Service: The service quality at the resort was a mixed bag. Our experience with the staff at the buffet and Italian restaurant was nothing short of perfect. Our experience with most of the staff at the other restaurants was poor to adequate, depending on the server. I was honestly wishing for the type of service I would get at a Denny's or Applebee's - not good. Empty water glasses were ignored. Red wine was served so cold that condensation formed on the wine glasses, but without any comment. They did not check to see if we needed anything else after our initial order. I also had a very frustrating experience with the front desk staff. When we checked in, I asked the front desk whether we could extend our stay by one day. I was told that they were full that day. I asked if they could let us know if there was a cancellation, but was to come back later. Two days later, I again approached them about an extension and was plainly told to come back later. I again asked if I could get on a list to be notified if the room freed up, but was told that reservations didn't open until eleven, and that I needed to talk to them. I would think they would do everything possible to assist me in spending my money there. Additionally, the room service staff did not replace the glasses we used in our minibar, and we had to call the butler to uncork the wine provided, as no corkscrew is included. We got the impression there was a distinct design to create opportunities to tip the butler. Not ideal.

Food: The food quality is the number one reason we will not be returning to the Grand Rose Hall. I realize that all-inclusive resorts have a reputation for having poor food, but the top locations I have been to before have not met that stereotype. The food at the Grand is passable, but definitely not what I would expect for a $700 USD per night bill. Steak was overcooked. Lobster was not available, although shown on the menu. Even the burgers at the buffet were overcooked, and the buns were stale. The plus side was the Italian restaurant, which had good quality food, and the fruit selection at the buffet, which was fresh and quite varied.

Room: The room itself was truly great. The suite is large, came with a jetted tub big enough for two, and had a marvelous balcony with both a two seat swing and a couch. We enjoyed several hours on our deck watching the ocean over the ocean of palm trees that cover the property. If you do go, I would highly recommend a room on the third floor or higher as this will allow you to see over the palm trees and get a clear view of the ocean.

Property and Pool:
The property itself is great. The pools is surrounded with plenty of deck chairs, in and out of shade, as well as beach beds, again with our without an awning, which are large enough for two to comfortably relax on. There are three connected pools in the main area, one with a basketball hoop/volleyball net, another with a nice island, and a final infinity pool accompanied by the swim up bar. Overall, very nice.

Amenities: The resort allows you to borrow kayaks, mask and snorkel, catamaran, or sail board for up to a hour for free. We took the kayak out to the nearby reef, and had a great time paddling around to get some exercise. Definitely a nice touch. The beach itself is covered in deck chairs and small awnings. You can actually drag a deck chair down into the surf and let the waves wash up on your feet.

Overall, the Grand Rose is a great property with excellent amenities. However, the food and service will keep us from coming back again.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the third or fourth floor. Avoid the swim up suites as that pool opens off to the si...
5  Thank Liv2themax
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. Your feedback is very important to us, as we are all too aware that, we can only make improvements by listening to the comments of our guests. We have noted your negative comments as it concerns the quality of our beverages, customer service, food and staff helpfulness. Our team will certainly endeavor to make immediate steps to look into these issues.

We regret the miscommunication with our Front Office team, however the approval of extensions are always subject to availability of rooms and occupancy of our hotel. Our Management sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience this miscommunication might have caused you. Our team would love the chance to host you again and hope that you will reconsider visiting our hotel. We invite you email us at dir.grandrh@iberostar.com.jm with a view to discussing how best we could serve you on your next visit.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The purpose of our trip was to relax, soak up the sun, and just have a good time. The hotel and the staff exceeded our expectations. We made reservations at the restaurant but ended up eating at the buffet at the food was delicious. Those beach beds around the pool we're just awesome! Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. I can't say enough good things about this resort. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Donna M

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your warm review of our hotel. We were grateful to hear that our staff, food and beach/pool atmosphere had met your discerning standards. It was especially kind of you to mention the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff as being a major plus-factor for you. Our Management and Staff look forward to welcoming you back and hope that we can be of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Here's the great stuff about the Iberostar Grand - Absolutely stunning location, and the resort itself is in excellent condition. Aesthetically, it's all beautiful. The rooms are very nice and tastefully decorated (marble baths, nice appointments, extremely comfortable beds), as are the common areas, bars, restaurants, etc. The multiple infinity pools are spotless (with the exception of some exposed rusty nails in the pool bar rear wall). Poolside and beachfront lounge chairs are all in great shape. The entertainment was outstanding, especially the late-afternoon activities/games around the pool. The reggae band on Saturday night were also a huge hit. From a distance, this place is a 10/10. We were with a group of 12, so we were going to have a blast regardless. But there are some MAJOR MISSES and breakdowns. See below-

FOOD- The food was good overall. Japanese restaurant appetizers and soups were outstanding. Teppanyaki was ok - fried rice was excellent, but the meats / shellfish were dried out and over-seasoned. Probably because the hibachi chef was more concerned with entertainment than cooking. Sorry Jason, we loved your act, but put more focus on the food. The Surf & Turf restaurant was very good (despite the EXTREMELY slow service). Our steaks were flavorful and properly prepared. As for the buffet options, the breakfast buffet was good. There were lots of options, and the omelet chef did a nice job. The outdoor terrace lunch buffet was very good. The ceviche was absolutely delicious. The quality of the room service food was also very good. Trying to get a snack poolside or while on the beach was a challenge. The options were extremely limited, and you got the distinct impression they were not cooperative with giving you any food outside of the restaurants.

BEVERAGE - overall, a great selection of mixed drinks (all skillfully prepared) and hard liquor options. They had top-shelf rum. The beer selection was very limited at the pool (Red Stripe, Caribe, Heineken), and the wine selection was also very limited. I managed to get a Guinness at dinner (after waiting for it for 15 minutes), but it was served room temp. Ugh.

SERVICE- hit or miss. The vast majority of the people who work around the pool (bartenders, waitresses, entertainment staff) are OUTSTANDING. Most of the upscale restaurant staff are very nice and attentive (ESPECIALLY Jason the Hibachi chef - he was hugely entertaining). But the buffet restaurant staffs are OK at best - most act like they are doing you a favor and have attitude problems, especially the ones who work at the outdoor buffet down by the pool. As far as the "BUTLER" service, it was a JOKE. We didn't see our so-called butler the entire trip until the last night when he was banging on our door at 11pm while we were trying to sleep, because he was looking for a tip. Are you kidding me? The room service was also EXTREMELY frustrating- long waits, limited options, and orders were brought incorrectly every single time. Other staff members in general were fair-to-good, but again, below the standards you would expect for what you are paying for at this place. Aside from the exceptions noted above, on a daily basis we encountered pushiness (a pool entertainment staff member named Crystal badgering us into doing her stretch routine, which none of us were interested in); laziness (butler), and surly attitudes (some of the buffet staff, valet/bellman staff, and front desk staff). Also, there is just a general air of "you are inconveniencing me" with a significant portion of the staff. And at the same time, ironically they all have their hand out for a tip! And I cannot say how rude it is when the Jamaican staff members speak to you in English and then start conversing amongst themselves in Patois right in front of you. More than a few times, I am 100% certain they were having an inside laugh or making snide remarks about the guest. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. As a comparison - my wife and I were in Cancun last year and the attentiveness, great attitude, and general overall professionalism of those folks put forth versus what we've encountered in Jamaica (this is our 3rd visit), were NIGHT AND DAY. Cancun blows Jamaica out of the water for service. You would think with the Jamaican economy so hugely dependent on tourism, they would strive for excellence and consistency across the board. Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

UPSCALE RESTAURANTS - This was also extremely frustrating. We were lucky enough (I'll explain) to eat at the Japanese and Surf and Turf restaurants during our stay. Both are beautifully decorated rooms with tremendous atmosphere. The unfortunate part was getting reservations - it was near impossible and required 3 phone calls where I had to eventually plead with the guest relations manager to get us in. I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. The most pathetic thing about it was that every time we were seated, there seemed to be an abundance of available seating! This can only lead me to believe that there must be some kind of game the resort plays to keep their food costs down. Their modus operandi must be to shuffle those who don't put up a fight for a reservation down into the lower-overhead buffet to keep their costs down.

CLIMATE CONTROL- ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS!!! There is not a single section of this hotel that is sufficiently air conditioned and cooled- ZERO. The lobbies and general areas are all sweaty and humid. The restaurants are slightly cooler, but still uncomfortable. The night club was an absolute sweat box. This is extremely frustrating. How can you consider yourself "on vacation" if all you are doing is wiping sweat from your brow and trying to not perspire through your shirt?!? Even our room was difficult to keep cool, but that was the coolest of anywhere. I'd expect this at a cheap bare-bones resort- not one that is advertised as "world-class".

So, in summary, this place could very well be the "world class" 5-star resort it purports itself to be if it fixed the following -

1. Better Climate Control
2. Consistently great service/attitudes across the board
3. Easier access to the upscale dining options
4. Better wine options

As beautiful as this place is "on the surface", I would not return unless these critical items were fixed.

1  Thank PSUFootball4300

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We were grateful for the opportunity to have served you and so equally welcomed the chance to hear how you rated your overall stay on this website. It was surprised to learn that our food, service, restaurants, wine options and air conditioning temperature did not meet your expectations. Particularly because we had not heard from you whilst you were in-house. We have noted your constructive critique and will hastily endeavor to look into the issues you made mention of. Please be assured too that our Management will be looking onto your complaints with a view to making the necessary improvements.

We would also like to apologize wholeheartedly for any evidence of poor customer service as we pay a great deal of emphasis on the genuine and personalized service we offer guests. To this end, we are sorry that a member of our Management team had not heard from you whilst you were in-house as it pertained to those specific staff members who gave you a negative attitude. We wanted to clarify too that it regards your observation of the restaurant seating, currently we do have situations of persons who book the restaurant and do not show up. To counteract this , we do not discourage guests from physically checking the restaurant of their choice even if there was no space originally, as there might be cancellations/ or “no-shows” .

Our team deeply regrets that you had such a challenging vacation as we fully appreciate that vacations should be hassle-free and relaxing. We invite you to email us at dir.grandrh@iberostar.com.jm as we would love to host you again and show you our usual exceptional customer service.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just got back from 6 days there. Wonderful hotel and wonderful service. The young people could not have been nicer. This is the place to go if you just want to relax and have a bit of calm fun. Food is good, grounds are kept very very clean, rooms are huge and nicely done.
Not much do to outside unless you play golf, but that was great for us. We were not looking for tourism. We will definitely be back and want to try out the other IBEROSTAR resorts. this was only for adults so that was a plus too.
The only small complaint I have is with the butler who really did nothing much for us. We are low maintenance, but still he could have been a bit nicer. Everyone else was wonderful. Nice entertainment in the evenings.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. Your positive comments about our staff, food, grounds, entertainment and service. Such comments are encouraging to our staff who work hard to ensure that our hotel can meet its service commitments to guests. Our team looks forward to being able to welcome you back and will certainly aspire to making your next visit even more memorable.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Talk about a carefree place to go... The minute you set foot on resort property Iberostar’s friendly and wonderful staff greets you, and there's no reason to leave the property after you arrive. You can completely relax and enjoy every minute of your stay, because everything is taken care of. It's a perfect romantic getaway.

We stayed in an oceanfront that overlooked both the pool and the ocean. The view of the ocean was more than just a "view". The property is right on the beach so that you can fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. You also get both the perfect sunrise and sunset over the ocean. Each balcony has this amazing swing with a huge pillow that is so relaxing to sit in and listen to the ocean waves crash or watch the sunrise or sunset. We loved spending time on the balcony!

The beach, while only about 1/2 mile long, was great for running on in the morning. It gets pretty warm in Jamaica so you don't really want to spend much time walking/running on the beach during the day. It's best to go right after sunrise and spend the day in the water. You can go out to your shoulders and still clearly see the bottom of the ocean floor. There is a great coral reef perfect for snorkeling right off the resort beachfront, and it's really good snorkeling! I love that it's so close to shore and not too deep. We saw colorful anemone, star coral, trigger, queen angels, blowfish, clownfish, sea horses, stingrays...

We also enjoyed kayaking. The ocean is calm enough that you don't feel nervous venturing out from the shore, and the water is so clear. We saw mantarays and all variety of fish pass under our kayak.

One really cool feature about this Iberostar is that they have photographers that capture your time around the resort and at the beach. Our best photos were all ones they took of us. They know how to make you look your best, and it's so fun to be able to get photos of you kayaking, playing on the beach and at the resort without having to carry around your camera. The CD of photos was affordable too, around $100 for the entire CD.

I loved the poolside beds at this resort. They're each surrounded by a short hedge, which allows for more privacy and space than at other resorts I've visited. The resort was booked to capacity during our visit, but it never felt crowded at the pool and you never waited for service. The poolside staff is always there to get you another drink and make sure you're having a perfect time. They offer free sun block and will even help you apply it if you need help. Everything little detail is taken care of.

For food - we preferred room service and the buffet to the restaurants, because it allows you to be on your own time schedule. The buffet food was awesome, always prepared fresh for you, and we loved the lunch spot overlooking the ocean. We did go to several of the restaurants, but it's so nice when you're on vacation to not have to worry about dinner reservations interrupting your time.

We stayed the first two nights at the Iberostar resort a level down from the Grand because the Grand was full. While it was nice, I definitely would say the Grand is worth the extra value. It's an all-adult resort; you have more privacy; they serve premium alcohol; the restaurants and buffet are amazing; the shows are awesome and fun; and the personal butler available to you is such a nice feature!

Needless to say we will be back to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica. It's perfect for a wedding party, a group of couples, or a private romantic getaway!

Room Tip: The oceanfront corner room overlooking the pool and ocean is the best spot to be. You have an unhind...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenLovesSunshine
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative feedback about your recent Jamaican vacation. We were ecstatic to learn that our various activities offered on property, pool/beach, food, butlers, nightly entertainment and premium alcohol had all met your discerning taste. Our hotel aims to provide a relaxing and exceptional vacation, so from your review, it is obvious that we have succeeded at doing just that. Your positive comments as it relates to your enjoyable snorkeling experience, will no doubt encourage other prospective guests to try it as well. Our team looks forward to being able to host you again and trust that you will not hesitate to tell your friends and family about our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!