“Excellent Resort”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Resort was beautiful and well taken care of by the clean staff and groundskeepers. The service at the front desk was excellent. They upgraded us to a ocean front suite with butler for our anniversary. The food was wonderful and beautifully presented. The beach was clean and well groomed daily. The Star entertainers were very personable and always very nice. I would return again.

Room Tip: If you traveled far to get to Jamaica pay extra to get an ocean view room. How often to get the oppo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJ82184
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. We were inspired by your comments about our resort’s cleanliness, service of our Front Office team and Entertainment team, as well as the delicious food. We recognize that you were last here in August 2013, so we hope that you have already begun to plan your return trip for 2014. Our team looks forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have traveled to several places and have used Iberostar in the past, yet this has been the first time I have absolutely NO complaints! We were upgraded right away without having to request it. The service was amazing and everyone in the resort was extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was spacious, clean and relaxing. Our butler, Donovan, made our stay memorable! Everything you can possible ask for he made sure we had. He was available whenever needed and never hesitated to go above and beyond. He called us rockstars but truth be told, Donovan is the TRUE rockstar! I highly recommend this resort to anyone and everyone!! I also highly recommend requesting the floor Donovan is tending as your Butler. We enjoyed every minute there and plan to make it a yearly habit of visiting.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn N

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. It was our privilege to have been able to host you on your first visit to our hotel. Your recommendation of our rooms and superb butler service is certainly motivating. Our hotel strives to provide the very best in all-inclusive service, so comments like yours makes us feel that we are meeting our goals. We look forward to being able to host you again and would be more than enthused to be a part of your annual vacation plans

Reviewed February 18, 2014

As seasoned travelers, we rely heavily on Trip Advisor reviews when choosing our next next destination. We prefer to stay at adult only, 5 star resorts and although this is not our first time in Jamaica, it was our first time at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. Over the past 2 years, we have stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro (Punta Cana) and Iberostar Grand Paraiso (Mexico), so it was only fitting that we finish the Iberostar Grand series and book a week at the Grand Rose Hall Feb 1-8th for this year’s holiday.

TRANSFER:
Our package through Transat Holidays included private transfers and airport lounge access. Even though our flight was 2 ½ hour late arriving, our driver Steve (from Airport Transfer Tours and Excursions) was waiting for us to take us directly to the resort. He gave us some great tips on things to do and see while in Jamaica and offered his services if we decided to venture outside of the resort during the week. Unfortunately, we didn't end up doing any excursions that week but we were fortunate to have him return us to the airport a week later. When leaving Jamaica, our vacation package included entrance the airport lounge and a personal escort to take us through the airport and being expedited through security. This was a lovely way to end a lovely grand holiday.

CHECK-IN & ROOM:
It was after midnight by the time we checked in, so the front desk wasn't busy and check in was very quick. The first room we had, was on the ground floor (room 5021) overlooking the pools. Unlike the other Grand properties we've stayed at, the balcony had no privacy; the bathroom only had 1 sink, a huge shower and no bathtub. Since it was so late at night, we decided to deal with it the next day. After speaking with some other guests of the resort, we found out this was not a typical room but rather, a wheelchair accessible room. A quick trip to the front desk and this was immediately rectified, with us being reassigned a regular room on the 4th floor. I have to admit; the room on the 4th floor was much more private and had a lovely view. The front desk was very accommodating and followed up with a few phone calls to ensure we were satisfied. Although it was disappointing that we had to deal with this issue in the first place, I have to commend the personal for rectifying this problem promptly and without hassle. Maid Service was excellent and always done early in the day. Tip: we always put the “make up room key” in the door when we leave the room in the morning so the maid service knows it’s ok to come in and clean. All room are ocean view (not necessarily ocean front), so consider this when booking your holiday. There isn't a bad view in the complex in my opinion.

WIFI:
Like the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, WiFi is available throughout the resort including your room and your balcony.

BUTLERS:
We were disappointed that the butlers did not introduce themselves to us or check in on us at all during our stay, like they do at the other Grand properties. To be honest, we didn't even see a butler until the day of our departure. As far a dinner reservations, I would suggest emailing the resort a week prior to your arrival like we did.

POOLS:
I really like the layout of the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall pools over the other Grand properties. Although all 4 pools are next door to each other, each had their own appeal. There is the pool bar, a pool with a volleyball net and basketball hoop, the 3rd pool tends to be quieter than the previous two and the last pool is in an area somewhat dedicated to those seeking relief from the sun. I was impressed with the number of loungers and cabana beds that were around the pools, yet, it never felt crowded.

“TOWEL GAME”:
The dreaded towel game is where sunbathers “reserve their spot by the pool AND/or beach” by leaving towels and belongings early in the morning only to return hours later (if they return at all). The first few days of our stay, we were able to still get a cabana bed at 9am but by Wed you couldn't a single lounge chair by the pool and the beach had very slim pickings. I do have to commend Rose Hall though for trying to deter this silly game by not allowing guests to leaving their belongings on loungers before 7am (I think it should be 8am) unless the guest plans to stay there. Thank you Rose Hall, at least it’s a step in the right direction!!! Nothing irritates me more than guests having lounges reserved at the pool AND the beach at the same time OR those guests not returning their towels once they are done for the day…thus lounges looking like their occupied when in reality…they are vacant. I know you’re on holidays but so am I, return your towels to the towel hut and clean up after yourselves…have some consideration for other guests. Sorry…a small pet peeve of mine.

BAR SERVICE:
We were was impressed by the number of waitresses around the pool and beach areas There were at least 3 waitresses around the pool area and a couple down by the beach. We found Jody Kay to be exceptional and a great ambassador for the Iberostar Grand brand. She ran nonstop ensuring all her quests are well hydrated (no matter where they are…including in the pool), yet, she took the time to get to know each one of her guests and made sure they felt special. That’s a mighty tall order to fill if you ask me. All bars, including the pool bar, were well staffed and service was always friendly and very quick. The resort as a whole was fairly consistent with their quality of drinks with the exceptions of a couple of hiccups (don’t order a whiskey sour).

WINES:
We were very disappointed with the all-inclusive wine selection in comparison to the other Iberostar Grand properties. We were surprised that they do not offer a Pinot Grigio anywhere in the resort. I’d recommend going to wine tasting event in the yoga area on Thursday afternoons. Even though only the house wines are available for tasting, when we went, we noticed that not all wines available in the inclusive package were being offered openly by the wait staff in the restaurants. By attending the wine tasting event, we found a wine we did like and from then on, we could ask for it specifically at the restaurants. The lady overseeing the wine tasting was very helpful; not only did she help me find a red wine (we are white wine lovers) that would satisfy both my husband and my pallet (which are quite different) but she made sure a bottle of that wine would be sent to the a la carte restaurant that we were dining at that night and waiting for us when we arrived (which it was). Little touches like this, that make the Grand stand out above and beyond all other resorts.

BUFFET:
In general, we were disappointed with the food at the buffet. The buffet as a whole seemed smaller and had fewer offerings than the other Grand properties. I’m not sure if the fact that neither of us eat seafood or fish made a difference or not, but it shouldn't. Breakfast always had a good selection and the omelette station was always a hit with us. It was nice to have a choice of 2 different restaurants for breakfast, although I’m not sure if the offerings were the same. There seemed to be regular BBQs by the pool or down at the beach over the lunch hour and at least once through the week, they offered freshly cut coconuts (to drink). We found the staff at the restaurants to be very attentive and the dining room never seemed overly crowded.

A LA CARTES:
As mentioned earlier, we suggest emailing the resort the week prior to your arrival with your reservation requests in order to get your preferred dining times. We tried both the Gourmet and Surf & Turf at the Grand and both were nice but the real star was the gourmet at the sister property Rose Hall Suites…the Calabash. This restaurant is definitely at the wrong location…the caliber and quality of the restaurant deserves to be at the Grand. My husband and I love fine dining and to be honest, this was one of the best meals we've ever had. We were so impressed that we asked to meet Chef Linton and congratulate him on an incredible meal. We dined there twice and were fortunate to have Raymond as our waiter both times, who gave us an incredible dining experience. Definitely book this restaurant, you will not be disappointed.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The entertainment personal during the day was great…if you wanted things to do, they always had something on the go but if you didn't want to participate, they respected that and did not bug you. They have the typical activities you find at all resorts but they also had some unique things eg…cooking class and wine tasting. We didn't really take in the evening shows but we did have the opportunity to enjoy the nightly entertainment in the lobby bar. Of all the Grands, Rose Hall blew me away with the caliber of talent they had playing in the lobby bar. All the entertainers were extremely talented but the flute player in particular was absolutely amazing. Having played flute myself for over 20 years, I was absolutely blown away listening to him. After one of his sets, we had a chance to talk to him and I was flabbergasted to find out that he makes his own arrangements from just listening to the music. Absolutely incredible! I think it would be great if one night could be set aside in the theater to showcase all the musicians’ wonderful talent, allowing guests to really hear and appreciate them. Unfortunately, I don’t think playing in the lobby really gives them justice…especially with everyone talking and conversing in that small area. These musicians are real stars. Every Thursday night, the entertainment staff put on a “Pirate Party” down on the beach instead of a show. We had a late dinner seating that night, so we only caught the tail end of the show but from what we say, it looked like a lot of fun. They even had a full bar set up on the beach.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
If I had to rank the Grands in order of preference, I couldn't. They are all very special in their own unique way depending on what you are looking for in a vacation. The one thing I can say about the Grand Rose Hall, the people who work there are the friendliest, most professional people you’ll ever meet and their main goal, is customer satisfaction. In regards to tipping, we didn't come across anyone “expecting” a tip nor did we find tipping made any difference in the quality of service. We found a smile and “thank you” was always appreciated and reciprocated. Of all the resorts we've been too…Grand Rose Hall is definitely at the top for customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to any of the Iberostar Grand properties and I wouldn't have a problem recommending any one of them. If they can please me…believe me…they can please anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view (but not necessarily ocean front). The majority of the rooms overlook the...
13  Thank Lildevil_lady

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review of our property. We were proud to hear that we compared favorably to all the other Grand properties. Your kind comments about your room, despite your initial disappointment, also meant a lot to us. Such comments show that our team is anxious to ensure that all guests are satisfied. To this end, we regret the inconsistent service of our Butlers. We would like to offer our sincere apology. Unfortunately, quite often when our Butlers are checking on guests who spend a great deal of time outdoors, the Butler might miss such guests. We are not sure if this was the case here. However, in such an instance, the Butler would have been required to still try to make contact with you by phone or leave a message with the Concierge asking if you needed anything.

It was tremendously uplifting to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of our service such as, our A la Carte Restaurants and Bar Service. Please be assured that we intend to look at our Buffet Service and Wine List to see how we can improve on these areas.

We look forward to serving you again and hope that you will not hesitate to return in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed in Ibero Grand RH for 5 days in mid February. We are past guests of Iberostar chain and they never disappointed us in past.
But this hotel is way above all of them! The best Iberostar we had stayed. It offers everything that you can dream of. Feel like true star. Wonderful service, great food and drinks selection. Delicious! Not a single complain.
Super nice rooms with swing and sofa on balconies. Amazing views. Most rooms are ocean view. Perfectly cleaned twice a day!
Special thank you to front desk personnel who granted all our requests. And to our butler Donovan who made all arrangement for celebrating our unforgettable Valentine's day.
We never had problems to find lounges under hut in shadow. No need to run at 7 am in the morning to reserve it.
Room service is fantastic!
We enjoyed every moment spent there. We'll be definitely back next year again. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are great. Try to get room on higher floors for better non-obstructed views.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We were grateful to hear your kind comments about our service, food, beverages and rooms. Comments such as yours reflect on the genuine service offered by all of our staff. Our team looks forward to serving you again and trust that you will not hesitate to choose the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall for your next vacation.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I found this resort experience very pleasant. The room was very spacious with a step down area for relaxing, computer use and large settee for reading, etc The outside area allowed a good view of the resort complex, contained a large rattan suspended over-sized pillowed seat and another couch. Watch the marble floors. I actually put a pillow in front of the step down to remind me it was there.Maybe overly cautious but it could be that was why there was a telephone in the toilet area. Marble floors everywhere. The staff is very accommodating, everyone smiles and genuinely wants to assist the guests.

The wedding was perfect and well planned. The outdoor reception with a steel band was off the lobby and well catered. The spa staff did an excellent job preparing those wanting hair and nail services. This is a well equipped Spa with a selection of amenities, including a small health bar for healthy smoothies, The whole family relaxed in the very large Jacuzzi pool the day before the Wedding. The Wedding dinner setup in the Italian restaurant was great with a separate table for the bride and groom and another for the cake. The service and food was excellent and a wonderful experience for all..

There are numerous activities available. There is a Yoga class outside in an enclosed arbor and a session on the beach. Ping-pong, pool exercises and volley ball on the beach. I did the
para sailing and catamaran experiences. Inside there is Pool tables, chess tables and card tables. There is a bus that goes to the Rose Hall shopping plaza every half hour and returns every hour compliments of the hotel. This is just a sampling. There was a Pirate Party on the beach that was very entertaining with lots of guest interaction.

The beach and lounging area are well serviced for drinks and refreshments. There is a cake cart every afternoon circulating with a chef to cut and serve. There is outside casual dining and inside buffet dining available on any eating schedule. The family enjoyed the gourmet restaurant with fresh lobster and lamb ribs to die for. The food was good everywhere. You
can avail yourself of the pool bar-b-que or occasional beach cookout if you want to eat in swimwear.

This hotel really allows the guests to tailor a vacation to their individual tastes and provides the variety to do so.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vilano2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments on this website. Such comments are helpful in assessing the quality of our service and is particularly helpful in guiding us to making our guests comfortable. We were grateful to hear that you had enjoyed our spa services, amenities and activities. We look forward to serving you again and hope that you will not hesitate to choose our hotel for your next vacation.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is our fourth annual visit to Montego Bay and the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and although my expectations were high, once again, the resort and its staff managed to exceed them! My husband and I have made this the one destination we escape to each year for a four night get away because it is so wonderful. Since our first trip we have requested and received the same ocean view room. Check-in is pleasant and simple and our room has always been ready for us.

Staff and Service: Also consistently we have enjoyed incredible attentive Butler service. Darwin, our butler for the fourth year in a row knew our preferences without us even asking. (all the Butler's seem to work hard-and the supervisor, Reneisha stepped in on day one when Darwin was off-and was just as thorough and committed to our satisfaction following up the next day to ensure we were happy)
I would enjoy cold champagne each afternoon at four, our dinner requests were orgnaized and confirmed, he would check on us at the beach or at the restaurant to ensure we were happy and ask if we needed anything at all and Darwin took the best pictures--just to name a few of the wonderful things Darwin would do for us.
Keneisha, our beach waitress also worked incredibly hard. I had wanted a fresh blended fruit drink without any added sugars or syrups and she ensured my request was met and kept coming with fresh refills. She worked long hours in the heat with trays full and yet was always SMILING! Oneill at the pool bar has the kindest smile and also goes out of his way every year to serve us quickly and consistently.

Grounds are impeccable. The beach has some areas of rock as you cross over towards the suites section but is a pleasure to walk overall. The pools are not heated but are beautiful and refreshing. The ocean is clear and calm.

FOOD: The food in the restaurants are also excellent. Palmer at the Japanese indulged us once again this year with some fresh pre-dinner sushi and saki bombs before our dinner at the surf and turf. Our favourite restaurant by far is the Italian and we most enjoy eating outside on the terrace. This year however, on the reccomendations of Jo Dane in guest services we booked the romantic dinner. Having had many incredible dinners and romantic dinners elsewhere I was not necessarily sure it would be worthwhile. I was not dissapointed. Firstly, we booked it for valentines night and the weather was perfect. Darwin made arrangments to meet us in the cigar lounge and escort us to the dinner. As we approached the beach we saw the torches lighting the way to our absolutely private dining table facing the ocean and enjoyed beautiful background music and special lighting with candlelights at the table. The table was decorated perfectly and the champagne freshly poured. Jo Deene our waitress reccomend a superb red wine and then we met our chef for the evening Anthony. We had seen Anthony cooking the seafood paella on the beach earlier and I can't say enough about how hard working and exceptional the staff at the grand are including Anthony. He introduced himself and briefly discussed the menu offering a change for us to make it extra special. I was concerned that the food would not be hot or be a challenge to present in a timely way but I was absolutely mistaken. The presentation and quality of each course was EXCEPTIONAL. We enjoyed dancing on the beach and felt like the entire beach was ours--our glasses were filled but we were never interupted. This was truly a dinner we will never forget and Anthony added a very special personal touch to our dessert as well.

Entertainment: My husband enjoys the beach volleyball and for me it is the pool aerobics and zumba. Otherwise it is fairly quiet around the pool and crowd is certainly mature. Thunda and Mr. Fresh were two of our favourite star friends--they were all full of energy and enthusiasm and did a great job to encourage but not push.

Possible Improvements:
1) More al fresco evening dining options. The weather for outdoor dining is generally perfect in Jamaica but the only option for this is the Italian restaurant.

2) Activities list--If possible it might be nice to receive a list in your room of activities, special themed events etc going on during the day.

3) Pictures--wonderful photographers are waiting all day to grab beach shots of families and couples but the two times we tried to view the pictures taken there was an extended line up. If you are going to have couples pose--ensure they can see the pics--PS saw others looking at their own pics and the quality seemed great!

NB--we tip and are happy to do so because the staff work so hard for you. Also this hotel is close to the airport and we use Clive's transportation service. They meet us at the airport with a cold red stripe or water. The cost is $30 for two for a private transfer.

If you are a couple looking for great service and food I highly reccomend this resort. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Ocean view and second floor or higher.
2  Thank Deanna12

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to recommend our property on this website. It was certainly an honor to have been able to host you on your fourth visit to our hotel. We will certainly be sharing your positive review with our staff members as reviews such as yours serve to encourage our team. We noted that you enjoyed the personalized attention of our staff and their efficient service. It was rewarding to hear too that you had enjoyed our delicious food and the effort we had made to make Valentine’s Day extra special. We look forward to accommodating you again soon on the occasion of your fifth visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I just spent a wonderful one week at your resort in Jamaica. The rooms were comfortable, the bathroom was large and nicely designed. The service was good. They provided us with almost everything we wanted. We were a group of 16 people and we all came back happy...
Few suggestions: The wines served in the restaurants were not drinkable and we drink wine with our food. What you have on your list to be bought were also not good winIes and they were very expensive for what they were. There was one Chilean wine and most of the time it was not available and it was never available in the restaurants. The small bottles of American wine ( Barefoot - Merlot ) in the bedroom bar was the best of the bunch. Please try to have some better wines as we are planning to come back next year as a group.....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your hearty recommendation of our hotel. We were thrilled to hear that our rooms and service had met your discerning taste. We have noted your suggestions for more wines and we will certainly look into what other wines we can add to our wine list. Our team looks forward to serving you and the rest of your group again and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!