“Great, but not perfect, hotel”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was a beautiful all-inclusive resort with so many great things. We stayed in the adults only Grand Rose section (you can then go to the lesser hotels Suites and Beaches located next door). All the hotels are located on a beautiful beach (must be on the bay; no waves, which I would have enjoyed). The room itself was gorgeous: two beds, chaise lounge, large bathroom with separate toilet and shower rooms, and two sinks. We had a large balcony with sofa and swinging chair; very nice.Plus they give you a Butler, which sounds nice but really is not so helpful. He did make our dinner reservations for all nights on the first day, for a healthy tip. Overall we found him obsequious and intrusive without actually being that helpful.

The food was wonderful everywhere: the gourmet restaurants were all delicious, as as the buffet inside and out. They served teatime food around 4pm, and walked around the pool giving out cake at that time. Nice! The Spa services were fantastic! The rooms and overall areas and grounds were kept immaculate.

Some things that could use improvement:
1. The bed linens. Definitely not fine linens, and they always felt damp from the humidity. Not pleasant. (Contrast that with the spa linens from the massages, which were cool and crisp and felt like a higher quality.) The bed itself was kind of mushy as well.
2. The shower. It did not drain and ran into the bathroom and further after every shower. The main guy told us the drain is not blocked; it's just that the shower floor was not sloped enough. The water would sit in puddles then overflow as soon as you turned it on. There was nothing they could do for us.
3. A little thing, but the reading light was out next to the bed. We must have complained 4 times; the first time we got two phone calls AND a light night visit from 2 main guys to confirm, yup, the light is out. (Intrusive and not helpful.) They never did fix it, despite subsequent calls each day.
4. The gym! This really needs updating and better equip maint. 2 out of 3 elliptical and 2 out of 4 treadmills were broken our entire stay. The machines are old and rusted from the humidity.
5. While the room was clean, there was often a musty smell in the bedroom from the humidity, even with the AC on.

overall, a really nice hotel / resort to stay at, but some minor issues.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank NellaDawn
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. Your positive comments about our excellent rooms, food and spa services will go a far way in motivating our team. We have noted your suggestions and will certainly bear them in mind.

Please accept our humble apologies for any inconvenience you might have been caused as a result of the shower, reading light and gym equipment. We also regret the challenges you had with our bed linens and what you described to be a musty scent in your room. Our Management regrets any discomfort you might have suffered and we will certainly look into what changes we could make to ensure that you have a flawless stay when next you visit.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (6,653)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Iberostar Grand Hotel is the nicest of three neighboring Iberostar properties in Rose Hall. The resort is physically very close to the airport at Montego Bay so little time is lost in transit. The lobby is extremely ornate and grand if not a little gaudy. Check in is efficient and staff friendly. The rooms are really exceptional. All the rooms that I visited had great ocean views or a partial ocean view, great decks and were incredibly clean. Bathrooms are huge and modern and beds very comfortable.

Outside the pool and beach are lovely. Kayaking is free and really quite fun. Service at the swim up bar is great as is beach service and drinks are good and stiff as you want them. Food at the buffets is better than expected and food at the restaurants that require a reservation (do this the second you arrive if you hope to get a table) is hit or miss. Japanese food was not so great, steak house was surprisingly good with great lobster. If you are a picky wine drinker you may be less than satisfied but who goes to Jamaica for the wine.

There are a few annoyances. First, this is yet another resort where people reserve all the beach and pool chairs early whether they intend to use them or not inevitably leading to some conflicts. Second, the gyms are too small and in bad shape. 50% of the cardio equipment in both gyms was out of order. When at an all you can eat and drink resort I personally want some exercise options. Furthermore, you can't comfortably leave the property so going for a decent fun is also not an option.

Ultimately, this is a great resort for 3-4 days of relaxation. More than that I might get a bit bored and a bit bloated. However, as Montego Bay airport is very easy and efficient and there are direct flights from my hometown I will almost certainly return to the Iberostar Grand for a short break in the dead of winter.

1  Thank Hivedoc

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. We have noted that whilst you enjoyed your short vacation with us – you had been dissatisfied with the beach/pool chair situation as well as with the equipment in the gym. For persons encountering pool/beach bed issues, guests can seek the assistance of the Pool Concierge, who will be only too happy to help. As it pertains to your complaint about the gym equipment, our Management is making all the necessary steps to get all our equipment in order. So we would like to assure you that the problem you encountered with the exercise machines is not a typical occurrence. However, since these machines are heavily used, they may need repairs periodically. We will certainly endeavor to make sure that our gym is operating more consistently.

We look forward to your return and hope that you will think of us as your ideal destination for all future “winter getaway” trips.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great location close to the airport. 20 minutes and you are in the lobby. Rooms are very big and no bad views of the ocean. Wi fi throughout the entire complex. sending this review from my balcony mid trip. Cell phone (verizon) works everywhere except inside the building. Staff is very, very friendly.

My wife is a wine drinker. every wine they offer as included is Gallo type at best. We did discover that you can get a decent bottle if you are willing to pay. 120.00 for a bottle that I just found on wine searcher for 11.99. Nice. We are on bottle two mid stay. disappointing to say the least especially when you consider what this type of trip costs and that every top shelf liquor is available.

Towels are in need of replacing.Elevators are like ovens. not sure what that is about.

Compared to the Iberostar in Mexico, that place is fantastic, this seems like a different company altogether.

Room Tip: Top floors have incredible views.
2  Thank TomBooms
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Guest:

It has been a pleasure hosting you.

We noted your dissatisfaction with the red wine we offer as part of our All-Inclusive package. Our Management reviews our wine list periodically and we do make changes from time to time based on a number of factors. Such factors may include consistent availability and guest feedback. Please be assured that we have heard your complaint and have also received complaints from other guests – and so we are currently making plans to change our wine offerings.

Since our Assistant Food and Beverage Manager has since met with you, we hope that you have been able to have the issue resolved. We are hoping that your wife has been given a more satisfactory wine for dinner especially since she had explained that she had allergies and had to be careful with the type of wine she consumes. We sincerely regret any inconvenience that was caused to you and your wife because of our wine selection.

We are hoping that can host you again soon, so it is our intention to ensure that you depart as a satisfied guest.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Grand was the most amazing all inclusive experience we have ever had.

FOOD
Always slightly apprehensive when choosing AI but this was very different. The restaurants were great, the Japanese especially we went three times in a week! The buffet was great too with sea views.

I have never eaten so much lobster in my life.

DRINK
The drink selection was amazing, every possible brand you can imagine! Champagne and cocktails flowed all day and your room was stocked with a good selection in the mini bar. We ordered champagne to the minibar on a few occasions and always came with an ice bucket and cold glasses.

POOL AND BEACH
The pools were lovely and you could chose the swim up bar if you wanted a party atmosphere or the top pool for relaxation. The beds around the pool were really comfy so didn't mind spending 8 hours a day lying down!

Another bonus is the towels no need to take your own as they are in plentiful supply. Sun cream is also complimentary if you forget or need a higher factor.

The beach is really clean and the water is clear and warmer than the pool.

The only slight annoyance is towels on the beds in the morning, be prepared to wake up early if you want a good spot.

PEOPLE
Aside from the material things the staff at this resort really made the experience lovely. They were all so friendly and happy.

So overall the holiday was the hotel was the best all inclusive I have been to, the only thing that could have been better was to stay another week.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank RB19852014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review about our property. We were enthused to see your high praises of our food, drink, pool/beach and friendly staff. Our team looks forward to serving you again and hope that you will continue to think of the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your vacation “home away from home”.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall during the first week of February and had a wonderful time! My husband I had been there in 2012 and I was very eager to go back, especially with the winter we’ve had this year, but his work schedule wouldn’t allow it, and none of my friends could make it, so he encouraged me to take a solo trip. I was looking forward to relaxing, reading on the beach, enjoying the warm weather, and having some ‘me’ time. I felt comfortable and safe returning to the Grand, partly because it was familiar, and also because I knew the staff would take good care of me.

Even though I knew I could book everything myself, I decided to check out Beach Bum Vacations to see if I could get a better rate on the flight and the resort. Steve helped me out and did a great job answering all of my questions and booking everything for me. And I definitely got a better deal. I’d highly recommend using them to help you out, especially if you have a more complex trip. I also decided to use Club Mobay, the VIP club at the airport. I had mixed feeling about my experience. It was great to be treated like a VIP, whisked through immigration, customs, and security, and also to have a place to hang out with free drinks and snacks before your return flight. But if you have short lines, as I did, it may not seem worth it. It's a gamble either way, but if you want to make sure you have the swiftest and easiest way through the hassles of travel, it may be worth it.

As for the resort, I was definitely treated like a VIP as a returning guest. I had booked an Ocean View room but was upgraded to Ocean Front. I had requested it ahead of time but they always say they can’t guarantee it, so I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely appreciated being able to watch the sky brighten over the water in the morning and listen to the waves 24 hours a day. My butler, Orion, met me in my room, gave me a tour of everything, and asked me if there was anything I’d like to drink in the room, other than the fully-stocked mini bar. I asked for some Jamaican rum cream and they brought me a full bottle to drink during my stay. (Try it – it’s heavenly!) They also brought me a fruit plate and a bottle of tempranillo and later brought me a cute t-shirt that says “I’m back”. Marlon was my evening butler, and both he and Orion, and any butler who saw me in the halls, treated me very well.

I spent my whole vacation on a lounge chair on the beach. I admit that I succumbed to the “towel game”. I knew was going to be out early and spend the day on the beach, so I usually grabbed a towel on the way to breakfast around 7:30 and reserved a chair and cushion with a few of my things, but then was usually seated there for the day by 9am. But I didn’t hold a chair I didn’t use and didn’t take cushions off anyone else’s chair (as someone did to me when I was at lunch!). The one day that I got out there late and couldn’t get a cushion, I inquired at the pool concierge hut, and one of the staff grabbed a cushion from the back (one that looked like it had been ‘retired’ but was appreciated nonetheless!), walked it out to my chair, and set it up for me with the towels spread out and tucked in. The cushions are indeed necessary because the loungers are pretty hard without them, especially if you have back problems, as I do.

The food was great, plentiful, and available all day long. I at the buffet for most meals, but had paella on the beach one day and had room service for dinner once and breakfast once (I’d have done room service more but the menu is limited and the buffets have such variety). I got tired of eating by myself at the buffet for dinner, so one night to took a plate out to the pool to listen to the reggae band, and another night I took a plate up to my room to watch a movie. The one thing I learned about the staff was that they never said “no, that’s not allowed”. It’s always, “no problem” if you want to take food or coffee from the buffet out to the beach, take a banana from breakfast back to your room to eat later, or take half a dozen towels from the beach concierge. The customer is indeed king/queen!

I’d also like to thank Barrington for his warm welcome. He remembered me from my first visit and never hesitated to say hello or ask my how my day was going when I walked by. I’d also like to thank the cleaning staff for the great job they did keeping my room sparkling and smelling fresh. I love the scented oils they burn at night and can still smell them on my winter jacket, which was hanging on the closet during my stay (in fact, I could smell it was I was shoveling snow the other day and it sent a pang of longing for Jamaica and warm weather through me!). And I can’t forget Kenisha, one of the beach waitresses, who served me drinks all week, always with a smile and a helpful suggestion. They beach waitresses may be the hardest workers there, making dozens of trips to and from the beach to the bar every day with heavy trays, so don’t forget to tip them!

A few suggestions for the resort: Include more types of snacks in the room – there are only Doritos and potato chips, and they weren’t replenished during the week. Some nuts, pretzels, or M-&-M’s would be great. And please invest in some additional beach chair cushions – there should be enough for everyone to have one given how hard the chairs are. And they should also invest in installing electrical outlets on the nightstand by the bed. Everyone these days needs to charge their mobile devices, even on vacation, and many use their phones as clocks and alarm clocks, so being able to charge them on the nightstand would be very much appreciated. Finally, one way to solve the towel game might be to add more palapas and chairs or beds to the beach so everyone has a place to sit in the shade. I was plenty happy to sit in the middle row of loungers, toward the end of the beach and didn’t need to be right up front by the pool.

Some recommendations for visitors: Bring lots of dollar bills (they accept American dollars) and fives for tipping. All of the staff work so hard and do such a good job. I tipped for (almost) every drink brought to me on the beach, left a bill or two on the table after each meal, tipped everyone who brought food to my room, left a few dollars for both the morning and evening housekeeping staff, and also for anyone who went out of their way to help. I brought slippers because the tile floors in the rooms tend to hurt my feet, but I didn’t need them because the slippers they have (in addition to the comfy robes) are so cushy and soft, I wore them instead. I brought a yoga mat, which was great for doing morning stretching on the spacious balcony. Try out the 10am stretching classes. They aren’t too intense and are very helpful for helping work out the kinks. I didn’t try the yoga class, but heard good things about it. I had a hot stone massage and it was amazing.

This is a great place for couples, honeymooners, small weddings, anniversaries, girls weekends, guys weekends, etc. It was good for a solo traveler, but I got a bit bored because I’m not extroverted enough to make friends to eat and hang out with, especially in such a couply place. And it’s not a place for singles looking to meet other singles. But if you want a nice, quiet vacation with excellent service, a beautiful beach, and good food, go to the Grand!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a good view. Don't feel that you have to splurge on an ocea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
27  Thank SophiaMaria03
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to visit us again. We were pleased to host you a second time. It was very rewarding to learn that you had enjoyed your Butler service, beach ambience, and delicious food. We have noted your request for another socket in your room to enable charging your phone and will certainly look into that suggestion. Our team looks forward to serving you again soon and we hope that your husband will also think of returning.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We truly enjoyed ourselves and were able to have a worry-free week in beautiful Jamaica. The Resort affords stunning views of the Caribbean sea from balconies, restaurants and the infinity pool. Resort staff were very friendly and always had a smile for you. Every staff member at this resort went out of their way to ensure we were well taken care of. Our butler stocked our mini bar with my favourite beer (that wasn't there originally) after I asked for it. He also checked on us throughout our week to make sure we had everything we wanted. I have food allergies and Chefs Antonio and Ariel took great care of me always walking me through the buffets or cooking special meals I could enjoy at the restaurants. The food, accommodations, drinks, and service were all first class. This resort is rated as 5 star and I can say it certainly is! This was our first time at an Iberostar Resort, having said that we will certainly look at Iberostar in future travel destinations. We will most definitely return to this Iberostar Resort in Jamaica and have recommended it to our family, friends and co-workers.

Room Tip: Ocean front room with balcony affords for a gorgeous view of the Caribbean Sea and beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Guest:

It was a delight to see your review. Such reviews highlight to our Staff that their extra efforts do not go unnoticed by our guests. Your recommendation of our attentive service; delicious food and drinks; Professional Butlers and Executive Sous Chefs was certainly inspiring. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope that you will consider us your Caribbean “home away from home”.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We truly enjoyed our second two week visit to the "Grand"!
It is difficult to improve upon the perfection we experienced last year, however the Iberostar has accomplished just that by: adding wifi to the entire facility; more entertainment throughout the hotel and increasing the interactions between the employees and the guests!
Upon our departure, we asked ourselves as to the characteristics which make the Grand superior to other high end all inclusive hotels we have experienced in the past. Our conclusion was that while all of them provide great facilities, services and entertainment, the Grand provided perfection in all of those essentials with smiles! The Grand's staff from top to bottom was exceptionally friendly and accommodating to all of our requirements. It is truly "irie!

1  Thank Edmarchm

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind recommendation of our property. It is the goal of our property to keep improving on the experiences of our guests. After all, we are aware that it is only through meeting the needs of our guests that we can hope to gain their loyalty. It was a pleasure to serve you a second time and we hope that you will come again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!