“A Truly Grand Experience”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just returned from a week at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall near Montego Bay Jamaica. Simply put it was a fabulous vacation.

The Grand experience begins with mimosas as you arrive. The lobby faces the ocean so if you arrive during daylight you have an extraordinary view before you get to the reception desk. Check in was rapid, professional and courteous. Your bags are transported to your room by a porter who is friendly and informative. Once settled in your room you are met by your butler who will serve as your 'go to' person for all your needs for the week.

The rooms are large, well appointed, have beds that are comfortable for sleeping and terraces that are the size of many hotel rooms. The bathrooms have his and her sinks with whirlpool baths and separate rainfall showers. The Grand is an adults only facility and if you are traveling without children, this is a wonderful facet of life at the Grand. There are children at the Suites and Beach hotels which are connected to the Grand but no children find their way onto the property so you don't have the noise and issues that go with having kids about.

With all the comments regarding the four restaurants on site we thought it important to reserve for the evening we arrived as well as the next day prior to travelling to the hotel. Believe it or not, this was a mistake on our part as neither of the reservations actually made it into the system. Our reservation for the New Year's Eve gala was confirmed. If you want to reserve prior to travel, correspond by email with the public relations department who confirm to you in writing your reservations.

There are four themed restaurants at the Grand; Italian, Gourmet, Japanese and Surf and turf. Having read the reviews we thought that the themed restaurants were the be all and end all of dining at the Grand. Not true. In fact, we chose to abandon one of our themed restaurant reservations (surf and turf) in favour of eating at the buffet. The buffet pasta bar chef Kamar prepared two of the best pasta meals we have ever eaten. He is an extraordinary chef and shouldn't be missed during your visit to the Grand. Ask him for his 'magic' sauce if you like spicy food and you won't be disappointed.

For us, a dining experience is more than simply the food. The environment and quality of service can make a huge difference in the overall experience.

Dining at the Japanese restaurant was a case in point for the environment. While the food was very good, the service was also very good, the environment was loud. When you are eating at one of the grills and experiencing the performance art of the chefs making the meal for your group you might excuse the noise as you are participating in the noise generation. When you are seated at a table, the experience is not interactive and the noise level is simply irritating.

Dining at the gourmet restaurant was nice but we found the service wanting. The food was very good and the environment was beautiful. Our server was ill prepared for working in this style of restaurant.

The Italian restaurant was excellent. Service, environment and food combined to make the experience wonderful.

To finish your evening there are reviews put on in the performance space not far from the main lobby. We strongly recommend that you take in some of the shows to finish your evening.

There is a pace of life at the Grand that is very restful. The staff are relaxed, the animation staff are not intrusive and yet do a great job of getting guests involved in activities -- walking on water is particularly fun to watch. It is true that the towel brigade is out early and in force to claim the best pool side lounge chairs and parasols on the beach. As early risers this didn't pose much of a problem for us. Nonetheless I have never stayed in a hotel where you had to rise and leave your room before 7 a.m. to assure yourself of a good spot by the pool.

Service by the pool and on the beach is very good. This is the only hotel I have ever visited where sunscreen is provided for guests. Nice touch. The pool concierge service is friendly and really makes you feel at home in the outdoor environment at the hotel.

Non-motorized water sports are included in your package, however the snorkeling, sailing and kayaking are limited to an hour each per day. We suggest that you think about purchasing snorkel gear prior to your trip to allow you to visit the reef that is just off the beach in the protected swimming area at your leisure. For a marine area so close to a populated beach, the variety of marine life is impressive. We saw over 20 different species of fish, three species of urchins and several different types of crabs.

A quick note on tipping. We made a pilgrimage every day to the front desk to get change to be able to provide small tips to servers around the pool, servers for breakfast, lunch and supper, and the housekeeping staff and butlers. Others have commented that it seems over the top to have to pay the price for your all-inclusive package and then have to tip the serving staff. The point we would make is that the small amount of additional cost to the guest is small and yet the effect on the staff member's quality of life is more significant. You will receive much from these people and giving back seems the right thing to do.

The Grand lived up to all the hype we had read on Trip Advisor. This vacation ranks among our top three lifetime vacation experiences.

Room Tip: Upper floors offer best views and noise from pool is not too intrusive.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
18  Thank montrealguy13
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming comments. We were encouraged by your compliments paid to our efficient reception team, butlers and pasta chef. Our team relies on comments of our guests to evaluate the service and amenities we offer. To this end, it was most rewarding to see your positive comments.

Please remember though that tipping is always optional and we do not want guests feeling pressured into tipping.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to call on us when planning your next vacation.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (6,648)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Iberostar grand in Mo-bay and had a blast. The food is good, friendly staff and faculty. Although the hotel have sister resort next door they can't compare to the Grand. We stayed 7 days and we were not bored at all, the hotel had entertainment and activities every night. My favorite person was Sassi but everyone was good to me and the other guests. I am a frequent visitor to Jamaica and I like to be occupied and this hotel definitely took care of me. My butler was super and the maid was excellent my bed was always done on time and the room was very clean. I like the way the hotel enforce the rules, no kids were allowed on the Grand beach so it was very enjoyable. Drinks are great and the waitresses and bartenders took great care if us. The fiord was great and I had breakfast every morning in my room overlooking the ocean. I told some of my family members about the hotel and yes they went and had a blast. Now for the negative- Internet should be free.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give them a score of 9.9, I took away .1 for the internet.

Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank g_lattie

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. We were grateful to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit with us. It was unfortunate that you got incorrect information, as guests who book to stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, enjoy free wi-fi. Likewise we have an internet café which is also free.

We appreciated your positive comments about our staff, drinks, activities and housekeeping service. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'll start by saying, I never write reviews but this trip was worth me doing so! My husband and I travelled to the Iberostar for our honeymoon Nov 27th-Dec 5th. This was an incredible vacation and can't wait to return! Ill start by stating a few things we loved:
-the food (breakfast was my fav- the selection was incredible and the omelette bar was just amazing. We really liked the Japanese restaurant and the surf and turf. Lunch was ok, but we really enjoyed when they had lunch buffet on the beach.
- The booze was top notch and the bartenders were so friendly to chat with! I still crave a Jamaican smile- we brought 4 bottles of rum cream home-yes its that amazing.
-Our room was cleaned twice a day which was really nice
-All in all it was so relaxing and the staff made a point of making sure our honeymoon was special (candle lit baths & room, champagne ect.)
-We went on the luminous lagoon outing which was a great experience but did find a little pricey for such a short trip.

A few extra details:
-The beach was ok, we both got stung by baby jellyfish (didn't hurt too much, lifeguard poured vinegar on us) but found it to be small.
-Camrae was a great bartender and Racquelle was our fav. server the staff here are honestly amazing!

I'll leave you with this, certain people find things to complain about and well, always will but honestly this was a great hotel and we look forward to our return.

Very Happy Honeymooners

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MjHill5731

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing our property for your honeymoon. We are grateful to hear that you had a wonderful time with us. It was also encouraging to hear that you were pleased with the quality of liquor offered, cleanliness of our rooms and the staff who also went the extra mile for you. Our team hopes that you will think of returning for your wedding anniversary and trust that you will not hesitate to make us your destination of choice for future vacations.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I visited the Iberostar Grand over the Christmas Holiday through New Years. This was our second stay within six months. We had a wonderful time again and everyone remembered us from our previous stay. The staff here is exceptional and they really make your vacation special. This time they had wi-fi in the rooms, which was really nice. The food was awesome, especially the New Years Buffet. There was filet mignon, lobster and everything in between. We did not eat at the restaurants this time, but they are also good. The entertainment was great in the lobby and the theater. There are some minor things with the property that needs to be corrected, the towels seemed a bit worn out, might be time to replace them. Also, the tile on my balcony needed to be spruced up. The most annoying thing with this property, is the towel game that people play. You can not find a place to sit on the beach by 11:am, all the chairs have towels in them. Some days no one ever showed up. The hotel has a policy against this but it is not enforced, it is unfair and selfish. Overall this is a wonderful hotel and I will return again. This is one on the best hotels on the island

5  Thank cdn20152

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We are very appreciative of the compliments you have paid our staff, amenities, entertainment and food. Please be assured that we have heard your complaints about the quality of our towels and your disgruntlement with the guests who save beach/pool chairs. We apologize for the inconvenience of the saving of chairs by other guests and will certainly be looking into how we can further correct this situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, your Caribbean “home away from home”.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

As I sit here in the lobby, I don't want to leave. The resort is amazing. Let me tell you about the people that work here as they made it the best resort experience ever.

Getting off the shuttle day 1; William the bellman was awesome. He slapped my hand for picking up my bag. He is also the guy that stands here with my luggage seeing me off. Great guy and genuinely interested in you.

Approaching the front desk to check-in; Dexter and team greeted us with a nice drink. It was a very warm welcome.

Getting into Room #1; Randy (Butler) came into the room and explained to us everything we needed to know. He is a great guy. We liked him soo much that when they offered us an upgrade to ocean-front the only way we would take it is if Randy continued to be our Bulter. Onto Room #2. He continued to be there all week and helped us whenever we needed it. When I got a little sick, he was the first person to knock on the door to ask what I needed.

Randy obviously directed us to the pool bar...this is where we met our great friends Jerry, Ricky and Rocquel. Don't get me wrong, all of them are great but we became very close with these 3. Ask Rocquel to sing, she is great. Jerry and Ricky are two of the best bartenders and people I've ever been around. We are actually considering flying them up to North Carolina to bartend our wedding in September. In Jerry's words "we would flip that reception upside down mon" (yea they aren't coming to NC).

If/When we go to another resort- there will be some big shoes to fill as the people mentioned above and everyone else at The Grand have been terrific.

Thanks for the experience!

-Dusty & Meg

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dustin H
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We are appreciative of all our staff who continue to work tirelessly for the satisfaction of our guests. However, reviews like yours serve as our reward as it shows that our guests do notice the efforts of our staff members. Our team hopes to be able to welcome you back and trust that whenever you are planning another Caribbean getaway, you will choose the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I just returned from an 8-night stay in Montego bay and found the Iberostar Grand to be worthy of its reputation as a first class, adults only resort. Being a frequent visitor to the Caribbean with multiple visits to its sister property in the Dominican Republic (Iberostar Grand Bavaro); we decided to determine whether a stay at the Rose Hall setting would be equally as memorable. I’m happy to report once again that the Iberostar Grand Hotel collection did not disappoint. The resort is clustered in a secluded area of Montego Bay adjacent to other Iberostar properties. As is the case in the DR, guests of the Grand have privileges that extend throughout the Iberostar chain and we enjoyed entertainment and drinks at sister properties. The beach is extensive, the sand soft and the water calm. There are a few small reefs and clumps of sea grass to explore with snorkeling gear if you are so inclined. If there is a drawback, you are limited to the total length of the combined Iberostar beach property to explore on foot. Adjacent properties are either private or undeveloped so if you’re in search of a seven mile stretch of beach, you’re out of luck.

As for the balance of the property amenities, the resort is meticulously maintained and the staff very friendly and helpful. Having a butler can be a hit or miss thing, but in our case the two gentlemen that serviced our needs were polite, well informed and very useful in securing dinner reservations and making certain our mini-bar was stocked with our favorite drinks. Both the ala carte and buffet restaurants offered a wide selection of entrees, expertly prepared. Presentation at all of the ala carte restaurants was superb and worthy of a picture or two. The two restaurants that stood out slightly above the others were the Galleon (Surf & Turf) and Kiniro (Japanese). The double cut filet was perfectly prepared and fork tender while the duck breast filet prepared hibachi style was mouthwatering. Having the choice of two restaurants for breakfast was a nice touch, although only one was open before 9AM. Should you still have room for lunch, the beachside restaurant was more than up to the task. On occasion, the staff constructs a buffet style luncheon on the beach which seemed to be well attended.

The review wouldn’t be complete without the mention of the Cinnamon Hill Golf course. As is the case in Punta Cana, multiple night stays come with complementary golf greens fees included. Tee times were easy to book with the hotel concierge and the course is a short cab ride (no additional cost) from the hotel lobby. While the cost of golf is not exactly free ($25 cart fee + caddy), the expenditure is well worth the trouble of carting your equipment with you. The course layout is spectacular, stretching from the mountains to the sea with scenic backdrops to die for. It’s not particularly long from the white tees (6300+ yards) but shot placement is the key to a good score. The elevation change from the front to back nine will present a significant challenge to even the single digit handicapper. The grounds are very well maintained and regularly watered to insure consistent playing (and putting) conditions. A full length driving range, putting green and chipping area are available to all prior to the start of each round. The club house and staff are very friendly and helpful, encouraging us to store clubs and shoes for the course of our stay. While we’ve read other mixed reviews regarding caddies, we have nothing but praise to bestow upon our caddy for the length if our stay; Sabrina. She was extremely knowledgeable and professional, always willing to help with club selection, yardage, wind condition and green break. What we found to be perplexing was the number of guests that took advantage of the opportunity to play. Virtually every one of the four days we golfed there were only a handful of other groups to be seen. We were able to complete most rounds in 3+ hours and return to the resort in ample time for a well-deserved lunch. Let’s hope this review will entice a few more vacationers to lug their equipment (rentals are available of course) to partake in this hidden gem called Cinnamon Hill.

As a side note, the hotel offers several excursions off property and we opted for a full day tour which included the Black River, YZ falls and concluded at the Appleton Rum Distillery. We'd highly recommend this trip as a means of exploring a large portion of the western (north and south shores) side of the island.

Once again, our hats off to the Iberostar family, we will return.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in this layout.
8  Thank Blue_Waters_12

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. Your delightful compliments paid to our resort’s layout and delicious food was very motivating to our team. It was also rewarding to learn that our amenities, restaurants, quality of our food and friendly staff had met your high expectations. Our hotel has designed what we believe to be the total all-inclusive package. To this end, we have partnered with the world-famous Cinnamon Hill Golf Course, so it is indeed gratifying to hear that the inclusion of golfing in your package served as the hallmark of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and trust that you will not hesitate to choose our hotel for your next Caribbean getaway.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We just returned from our honeymoon where we spent the last 4 nights at this resort after staying at Sandals Montego Bay and what an upgrade this was! We were at the Grand which gave us access to all three properties which was great to check all of them out. The others each have a little different vibe to them so I think you can find the right fit for yourself. The Grand is definitely the more laid back in terms of activities but if you are looking for more of the active all day party just need to venture down the beach to the other properties.

Rooms were gorgeous, immaculate and service was top notch from the minute we arrived. The bar service was quick and every person was incredibly friendly and while you know it is their job it came across very genuine compared to the first half of our trip. The Spa area was impressive with an indoor wellness pool (you have to lay on the headed loungers) with multiple other soaking options, sauna and steam room.

Food and entertainment was top notch and much better than other resorts we have stayed at. We will return for sure!!

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We have noted your compliments about our food, beautiful rooms, bar service, spa and entertainment options. Reviews like yours are rewarding as they show that we are meeting our customer service targets. Our team is honored to have been able to serve you and we hope that you will afford us other opportunities to do so in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!