“Beautiful place!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This resort was beautiful, very regal. The lobby was amazing, the rooms were great. It was very well kept. The Lobby Bar was excellent. We loved this place. Unfortunately, the weather sucked while we were here, but we would definitely recommend the resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sdrj
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the delightful review you have shared on this website. We would like to extend our heartiest appreciation for the fact that you chose our hotel to spend your vacation. We look forward to your return and hope that you will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to your friends and family.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I came here for our Birthday/Anniversary Getaway. I have to admit this was by far one of the nicest all inclusive resorts I have ever stayed at. Everything from the resort, accommodations, service, and amenities was excellent. We had a room on the 3rd floor. Room 6302. The resort was a little slow when we were there so they gave us a free upgrade because we were there for a celebration. We didn't mind that it was slow at all because it meant less crowded pools and meals. Our room was more than spacious and clean. They came by to clean our room which seemed like every instance we were gone. They even left us a bottle of champagne and balloons! A very nice touch. We were given a butler but to be honest we didn't use him at all. I would suggest that if you can, email the hotel in advance and they are more than willing to make dinner reservations for you because once you get there it is a little difficult to get the time slots and restaurant of preference you want. The food overall was very good. They had more than enough of a selection. I really enjoyed the omelet and pancake/crepe stations in the mornings. Our favorite dinner joint was the Japanese. Even though all of the other restaurants are good including the dinner buffet we liked Japanese. The food is good and plentiful. The service at the hotel is wonderful. Every staff member was welcoming and inviting. There were a few that really stood out to us though. Since we spend the majority of our time by the pools (which were awesome) we really liked the STAR friends. Thanks to Shortcakes, Bubbles, Stella(thanks for teaching me the booty pop), Mr. Neat, Mr. Fresh. And how can I forget our awesome bartenders, O'neil, Kerry, & Barrington(loved his dancing)! The shows that were put on in the evening however were a hit or miss but nonetheless we were happy to know there was some form of entertainment in the evenings. The pirate show was the BEST if you are lucky enough to be there on that day. As you can see we had a wonderful time while we were there and would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away to relax and be pampered.

Room Tip: The higher the better so you can see out towards the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DoubleTrouble1012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. It was motivating to our Management and Staff to hear of your satisfaction with our hotel. We were ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our food, service, staff and entertainment shows. We hope that you will come again soon as it would be our pleasure to host you a second time in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My stay was from October 5-13 and I just wanna say the service at the iberostar grand rosehall was top notch. From the moment we stepped into the resort to the moment we left the resort the service was excellent. Marlon our butler was always available to address any concerns or get us whatever it was we needed. He helped make our stay a pleasant one. Thanks marlon!! The food was excellent especially at the surf and turf we went there twice during our stay. The pool area was also great especially with someone always coming up to us and making sure we were okay and had enough drinks in our hands. This resort is definitely a five star if I could rate it more it would be off the scale....that's how amazing my experience was.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cherish c

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. Our team was grateful for the chance to have served you on your recent vacation to Jamaica. We are grateful to know that our staff, pool, drinks and hotel in general had met your high expectations. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is one of the great hotel in mbj. the place is just gorgeous. the hotel staff is one in a million. Mr.Donavan to me,makes iberostar grand shine, he is a true gentelman first we hold him in the highest esteem,a scholar not only as a butler but as a professor for the hotel. we cannot say enough about him.Also Mr. Basil lifeguard at the pool We never had to worry about a thing so long as he was around he showed us the utmost respect and kindness. Thank you. Also there is Mr. Fritzroy at the surf and Turf restuarant what a guy always so kind and helpful knows what you want after 1st visit . Ms Sarah you are one in a million after Alba (smile). Love you both thank you again staff all of you are great.
carolyn Cruse

Room Tip: 6th floor with Mr. Donavan as the Butler
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were encouraged by your kind comments about our staff. Our Staff work tirelessly to ensure that the needs of all our guests are met, so it was rewarding to hear you mention the excellent service you received. Our team looks forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This review is long overdue since I stayed here for 9 nights in December of 2012. I did quite a bit of research before choosing this resort and must have read at least 500 of the reviews here on TripAdvisor before booking my room. I read most of the negative reviews, but because so many other good reviews said to ignore the bad ones and that those people were "crazy", I decided to overlook them. After my stay at the Iberostar Grand, I now know I should have given them more attention.

Let me start by admitting that I am a fairly picky person, so I am not as accepting of flaws as many people are. I traveled solo and paid over $300 a night for my room, splurging on this trip since I had never had a nice vacation in my life (I am in my mid-40s). My expectations were high based on the reviews here and they were not met in most cases. This is a long review, so if you don't want to read the details, you can skip to the SUMMARY section at the bottom for the basics.

SERVICE:

Overall, I did not find the staff overly accomodating. Although I was friendly to every employee I encountered, they did not always return the gesture. The girl at the reception desk made me feel like I was imposing on her when I checked in, despite the fact that there were no other guests around. Even though I had twice requested an upper floor room well before my arrival, she tried to put me on the ground floor. When I mentioned my previous requests, she reluctantly looked at her computer and found a room one level up, so I agreed to take it. I still tipped her three bucks for her "trouble", though she really didn't deserve it with her attitude. The guy who took me and my suitcase to my room was relatively friendly and received a $3 tip as well. My butler was a nice guy, but it seemed a bit like a well-rehearsed act rather than his genuine personality, which I guess can be the result of dealing with a lot of jerks, as I'm sure many guests are. I tipped him every time I asked him for something, no matter how minor the request, so he definitely made some money off of me. The staff at the restaurants varied. Some were warm and friendly while others seemed to have a similar attitude as the girl I encountered at the reception desk. I left $2 after every breakfast and $3 after every lunch or dinner if I ate at the buffet, and $5 after dinner at any of the four restaurants. I tipped anyone who made my food to order, like the girl who made me pasta one day or the awesome Dave Jr. who made me omlettes almost every morning. Dave Jr. was the definite standout of the staff and was ALWAYS very friendly and genuine. He clearly appreciated it when I tipped him, though that is not true for many of the other people I gave money to. I tipped the person who gave me a towel by the pool and any bartenders that made a drink for me. I also gave $3 to whoever would bring my room service order up. Yet, this did not in any way guarantee that I would receive good service. I get it. I'm sure the job can suck much of the time and I know there are a lot of cheap and/or rude people that come here that don't tip at all because they think they already paid enough and it is "all-inclusive". I know a lot of countries outside of the US don't tip as part of their culture, but the people who work at this hotel don't make much money, I'm sure, and you are not at home! These are lame excuses not to tip. I'm guessing a lot of the non-tipping Americans are the same ones who stiff or lowball wait staff that provide perfectly good service in restaurants in the US. I can't stand those people!!! But I digress... Although I understand that many of the guests probably don't treat the staff well, I don't accept that as an excuse for giving me an attitude when I have been perfectly nice to you (and in many cases, have previously shown you that I will tip you for just doing your job).

ACCOMODATIONS:

The hotel looks very nice, but when I got to my room, it had been closed up without air conditioning (since they use motion sensors for that - irritating and really quite ridiculous considering how much you pay for a room), was very warm, and smelled musty. Luckily, the odor basically went away once the AC cooled things down. When I took a closer look at the room, I was not impressed. It appeared a bit run down and everything looked clearly used (I know it was, but again, based on the reviews I read and the price, I expected more). There was a big rip in the rug on the floor and the bed covering and some of the things in the room just looked a bit old and banged up. There were several scuff marks and random paint droplets on the walls and floor in the bathroom and a lovely deep-set yellow stain on the toilet seat. I also found a hair in the bathtub as well as one on the floor in the main room. It was not enough to make me ask for a new room, but certainly did not meet my expectations. The black out drapes worked well and I really liked the rainfall shower head, but there was nowhere to put shampoo/conditioner bottles or a washcloth in the shower, and there was nothing to prop your leg up on while shaving, so that was a pain. The bed was a bit lumpy and drooped on one side, so I had to try to sleep in the middle so I didn't feel like I would roll off.

The pools looked nice, but I didn't use them. I went to the beach my first full day and could not find a chair without a person or a towel "holding it", which was very annoying. Many of the chairs did not have cushions and many that did looked old and nasty. I also don't really like the way they have the palapas grouped together as it forces you to sit right next to people you may not want to be around (i.e. smokers, loud and obnoxious people, etc...). Also, if you are not in the first row, you get to see the backs of a bunch of people if you want to look out at the ocean. When I looked down and saw about ten cigarette butts in the sand within about a 3 x 3 foot area, I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't go back to the beach again. I tried to use the hotel's DVD service, but most of the movies I asked for were unavailable, one for multiple nights, so that was another fail.

FOOD:

As far as the food, it was pretty good most of the time. There was a decent variety at the buffets, but breakfast and lunch started becoming a little repetitive after 6 or 7 days as many of the offerrings did not change. There were definitely some suspicious looking foods, like the sliced meats at breakfast that I wouldn't go near, but overall, most of the food was decent, with a few things being very good and a few things being kind of bad. The first few days of my stay, lunch was always served at the indoor buffet location, but after that, it was only available at the outdoor location. While this one provides a much nicer view and it is often pleasant to eat outdoors, I far preferred the indoor location. I found most of the proteins overcooked at the outdoor location and there was less variety to choose from. Anytime they offerred something "special" at lunch, like lobster thermidor, they would only cook about 5 or 6 small lobster tail halves at a time, even though there was a line waiting for them. Most people would give up after a few minutes of waiting and go without, which I believe is the hotel's goal. I understand not pre-cooking a bunch if no one is waiting, but when there are clearly many people wanting them, they should have ensured they were keeping up with the demand. By only cooking a few at a time, they can still say they offer lobster at lunch, but deter most people from actually eating it by making it inconvenient for them. Also, it was not appetizing to see bugs flying around the buffet at times and I had to contend with several wet, drunk people stumbling around the buffet (and into me a few times) who recently came from the pool or ocean.

The four restaurants were all fairly good, for the most part. There were some things that were better than others, but overall, I enjoyed them. My favorites were the gourmet and the surf and turf restaurants. The Japanese restaurant was probably my least favorite and my waitress was a bit condescending initially, but the food was still pretty decent. None of these places would equal a truly nice restaurant in the real world, but they were fine for an all-inclusive resort.

The room service food was pretty bad, for the most part. I only ordered late at night, so the choices were minimal and the food was often not cooked well. I had multiple issues with this service. One time, no one would answer the phone after repeated attempts. I finally called the front desk and they were able to get ahold of someone, but after waiting for 30 minutes after I placed my order, I called again only to find that they had no record of it, so I had to place it and wait again. Twice they brought me the wrong item, but I just told them it was fine and declined their offer to bring me the correct item as I didn't feel like waiting again (I still tipped them). The food sometimes arrived luke warm or somewhat cold after a wait which was significantly longer than they estimated when I placed the order. The room service performance didn't even come close to what should be provided at a hotel that promotes itself as highly as this one does.

DRINKS:

I am not a big drinker, so in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gone with an all-inclusive since a lot of the price is for alcohol, I'm sure. I think I ordered about 7 or 8 drinks total in 10 days. The Jamaican Smile is very good, as many other reviewers stated, but I wasn't crazy about the Dirty Banana. I asked them to reproduce a drink recipe that I brought with me (the Junebug from TGIFriday's), but it was pretty bad. As I was waiting for a drink at the pool bar, I took a good look at the bottles of booze. Instead of "premium brands" that they tout, most of it looked like generic / cheap stuff. For example, they didn't even have Malibu rum, let alone Midori melon liqueur. The bartender was very nice and tried to follow the recipe as best as she could with what she had, but it tasted awful. Despite the hotel's denials when they have responded to other reviewers mentioning the cheap booze, I can guarantee you that it is true. They are lying through their teeth if they say they only use premium stuff. They might have it available, if specifically requested, but otherwise, they give you the cheap crap to save money. This really offended me and makes me question the integrity of the hotel management, if not the entire Iberostar company.

SUMMARY:

The staff were hit and miss with some nice and some having an attitude, despite me being friendly and kind to all of them (always saying "please" and "thank you" and tipping everyone). The hotel itself was nice, but my room was a bit worn down and had multiple asthetic issues, as well as a few problems like the lack of shelving in the shower and the lumpy, drooping mattress on the bed. The beach was unpleasant due to lack of chairs, crowding of people together under the palapas, and a lot of nasty cigarette butts in the sand. The food was decent overall, but it was never outstanding, and room service was terrible. I witnessed them using cheap alcohol for the most part (I'm not basing this on how it tasted, like some reviews have) despite their insistance that they use premium brands. I had a decent stay, overall, but it did not live up to the glowing reviews I read from most people on TripAdvisor and it certainly was not worth the money for what I got. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone else, unless they received a significant discount and drank much more than me.

P.S. I used Clive's as a taxi service based on reviews recommending them highly and was also disappointed with them. When I found the guy standing outside the airport with the Clive's sign, he told me to wait. I stood there in long pants (I came from a cold place) in the heat and humidity after getting off a long plain trip for at least 5 minutes while he seemed to be waiting for someone else. I had booked a private transport, so I asked him why we were waiting. He seemed annoyed and did not really explain himself, but flagged down another guy who then came over and escorted me to a car. The driver was cool and I chatted with him on the way to the hotel, tipping him $5 when we arrived. However, when it was time to leave at the end of my stay, no one showed up to get me at the designated time. I had the reception desk call them after 15 or 20 minutes (again, she acted like I was imposing on her, but I tipped her anyway) and they said someone was there. When I went outside to check, no one was there, so I went back in and had the same girl call them again. About 5 minutes later, someone came into the lobby and we finally left, but I was about 30 minutes behind schedule and it put me in jeopardy of missing my flight as I did not know how long it would take to go through customs. Clive himself called the driver on the way to the airport and then the phone was passed to me so he could apologize for the mix up. I was not rude to him or the driver and appreciated Clive's gesture, but was quite unhappy with the service. I still tipped the driver $5 anyway, as I wasn't sure if it was his fault.

Room Tip: The ocean facing rooms on the top floor of one of the wings do not have roofs over the balcony, so t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank shaydul
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review. Your comments have been duly noted. We were disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay and had left with such negative memories of our property. Please be advised though that our staff do not expect to be tipped for every service you are given. It would be unreasonable to expect any guest to be tipping each staff that they encounter. After all, this is an all-inclusive property, with the assurance of personalized service for all our guests. We hope that you will think of returning as it would have been our pleasure to be able to meet your expectations. We are sorry that our Public Relations Manager did not get the chance to meet you whilst you were in house in order to attend to the issues you were having. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future in order to create better vacation memories.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Grand the from Sept. 27th-Oct. 5th this year. This was our second time staying at this beautiful resort. This time around it was for a very special occasion, our wedding. There was 18 of us in total for our group and everyone had the times of their lives. I'm going to post my pros and cons below, as it tends to be a little easier to get some things across. I don't have too many cons, but will list them first:
CONS:
1. The cost of this resort has increased by $500-600 per person for a 7 Night stay in 16 months (and the airfare was not to blame)!!!! I know that this resort is amazing, but come on!!! We also came during "slow" time this year, and the prices were still astronomical. The resort was less than 50% capacity for our week (it was nice that it wasn't crowded) BUT, the price for a week stay did not lower. We hope to return, but if the prices continue to increase as they have been, we may need to reconsider.
2. What happened to the wine options??! On our last trip to the Grand (May 2012), one of the amazing perks was to actually have choice of different red and white wines that were included in your package. This time around it was a choice of 2. How do you raise the prices yet take away wine? I can't put my finger on this one. I love my wine so this was definitely a big negative! Don't cheap out, bring the wine back!
3. Due to the resort being less than half capacity, it was VERY hard to make dinner reservations. There was 2 occasions where 4 of us in the group could not get a dinner reservation in one of the a la carte restaurants, therefore we had to go to the buffet. Still delicious!! But, I don't think it's right that they could not accommodate.
4. No Big Bamboo!! We requested it twice, but no luck.. LOL.. This is not major, but that song was hilarious last year!!
Okay, very little negatives, but they should be addressed!!

Now for the best parts:
PRO's:
1. The staff, like always, were absolutely AMAZING. Everyone from the housekeepers, bartenders, star friends to reception, were fantastic. We built some great relationships with the staff. They always have a smile on, and are there to help. Some of the staff that really added to our experience were Bubbles, Stella, Randy, Wheeler, Barrington, Kerry, and the list can go on!!! They were awesome!!
2. The rooms and the grounds of the resort were immaculate. I really can't say enough on how well kept this resort is. The maintenance crew are always at work keeping everything clean and fresh. Housekeeping service is A+!! they make your rooms spotless! I left my IPOD in one of the rooms where I was getting ready for my wedding and totally forgot about it. The next day, the housekeeper brought it to my room and asked me if I left it in there. Super honest, and such a sweetheart.
3. The pools are relaxing, clean, spacious and a perfect place to keep refreshed.
4. The beach at the Grand is also immaculate. The water is beautiful with very little seaweed and shells on the bottom. I loved it!
5. Our wedding coordinator, Janielle was amazing to work with. We had an off-resort ceremony, but Janielle planned our semi-private dinner and private cocktail party with a bonfire on the beach. It was beautiful!!! She made everything run smoothly, and made sure it was perfect. Such an amazing memory!
6. The food is spectacular! They really know how to put out a good spread at the buffet, as well as fine-dining dinners in their A La Carte Restaurants. You have to love the 24 hour included room service as well. Try out the burger and fries!! We had that a few late nights, delicious!!
I'm sure I could ramble on and on about how amazing this resort is. You really can't go wrong with this resort. Please don't raise the prices so much in the next year, and we'll be back for sure!!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing. Try to aim for a room above ground level for a view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dool_Canada11

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have been able to host you on your recent wedding. It was a pleasure to hear that we had exceeded all your expectations. We look forward to hosting you again soon and trust that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The ambiance of the hotel was amazing. The beaches were beautiful. The food was very good. The gourmet and Japanese steakhouse were the best by far. The buffets were also terrific with a large variety of foods from different countries. The jerk was off the meter Mon! As great as the trip was and as beautiful was the property is, this trip wouldn't have been as amazing as it was without the amazing staff. Our butlers, Steven and Marlon were on point and made sure we had an amazing stay. The bartenders were very friendly and made us feel at home. Big shout out to: Othello, O'Neil (both of them), Orlando, Camrae, Jerry, Kerry, Clive. They definitely enhanced the experience of our trip. Also the entertainment staff was really fun, engaged the guests, and had fun activities planned for the days and put on amazing performances at night. These guys and gals dont get a rest! Shout out To: Mr. Fresh & Mr. Clean, Mr. Nice, Bubbles, KiKi, Shortcake! The boogie nights and reggae shows were our favorite. I can't say enough great things about the resort and staff. We can't wait to get back there! And we are not paid spokespeople!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank john p
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were excited to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of our food, staff and various entertainment options. It was a great honor to have been able to host you for your first visit and we hope that you will make plans to spend your next vacation at our hotel. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!