“Very Nice But Was Expecting Better”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
IN
“Very Nice But Was Expecting Better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Nice place but in MY opinion, I don’t think it’s necessarily a five start resort - maybe a four. We stayed at the Iberostar Beach in Jamaica two years ago and that place was just as nice as the Iberostar Grand (the buffet and restaurants were bigger with a bigger variety of food at the Iberostar Beach). I guess the butler service is what everyone oohs and aahs about at the Grand. Yes, the butler service is good; they were there when we needed them (thanks) and were not at all intrusive when we didn’t need them.

We are not high maintenance people and did not require or desire butler service; although one of our butlers filled our tub one night while we were out, filled it with rose petals, laid out our bath shoes, had champagne on ice in a bucket and had towels shaped as swans with rose petals on our bed and had our bed turn down – a very nice and unexpected touch! If you don’t want or need any butler or maid service just put the do not disturb sign on your door. Our butler(s) were always standing outside in the hall in the mornings in case we needed anything (they never knocked or anything if we had the do not disturb sign on the door – another nice touch). It was must nice to know that they were there IF we needed anything, but we didn’t need them or use them for anything.

The grounds and pool area were beautiful and very inviting and the rooms were nice and clean. Actually, for the price and five star rating, we were expecting better rooms and a more luxurious lobby (again, the Iberostar Beach was just as nice, although the Grand did have two vanities in the bathroom instead of one, like the Beach). We DID have problems with the bathroom - the shower stall bottom was level with the floor and when you took a shower, the water ran onto the floor (don’t know why they didn’t have a small ledge or something to keep the water inside the shower stall). Also, the toilet’s water pressure was extremely low; had to flush 2-3 times and if you did more than #1, you had to flush it even more ;)

I don’t mean to be knocking the Grand; if you haven’t stayed at any other all inclusives, either in Jamaica or any other place, to compare it with, then I guess many people would think it was indeed a five star. Maybe by Jamaican standards it's a five star? Anyway, I’m glad we stayed. The pools and grounds were really nice, as I stated before and the staff was out of this world great, especially the Star Friends; they were the ones who helped make our stay a fun time. Shortcake, Kiki, Peter (Mr. Neat) and Stella are great people and hard workers – are you listening, Iberostar management?

We stayed six nights and paid for two rooms and four adults (mom and dad in one room; young adult son & daughter in other room), so for the price, we were expecting more. Still, we had a good time and met a lot of people, which is always fun. Another thing, since we went in early September, the buffet at the Grand was not open every night (due to low occupancy); we had to go to the Beach or the Suites’ buffet if we didn’t feel like dressing up or being on a schedule to eat at the ale carte restaurants…bummer! BTW, when we did eat at the ale carte restaurants – they were good and had large portions. I miss the dirty banana drinks – YUM!

We would return if the price were more competitive compared to the other resorts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Indybindy
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. We have noted your kind comments about the effort of your butler, the star friends and general appearance of our grounds were very encouraging to our team. We were disappointed to hear that we did not exceed all your expectations. It is hoped though that you will come again soon as it is evident from your review that you did not sufficiently experience all aspects of our service and amenities. We invite you to return soon – you may visit our www.iberostar.com website for information on special packages and discounts which are periodically offered. Our team looks forward to being able to serve you again soon.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,928)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Return visit to the Grand therefore this will be a bit shorter as I don't intend going over old ground. We had a pool/sea view in number 5 block on the 4th floor which was great, to a certain extent a better room than the ocean view room we had on the same floor/block last year. This is due to the fact that you face west and therefore see the most superb sunsets as well as having an uninterrupted view of the sea/coastline, you also get to see what is going on around the pool areas.

After a swift check in shown to our room and met our butler. Over the two weeks we were there we saw our butler more than on the previous occasion. Whilst this was nice, we are more than happy to book our own restaurants and times and don't have any ironing to do, so was a bit OTT for us - having a butler was not the selling point for us coming to the Grand.

The evening buffet was only open a couple of times (excluding the Thursday night beach party when the buffet was on the beach) which was a disappointment as the food at the buffet is excellent and offers a wide range of food. Also unlike last year there were no extra dishes on offer in the speciality restaurants. As not all the speciality restaurants were open every night and as we were there for 2 weeks we were getting to the stage of what are we going to eat tonight if we have to go the this speciality restaurant. We did room service a couple of nights. I understand why the buffet isn't open all the time - cost and possible food wastage (the hotel was no more than 30% full). If they had a limited buffet in the beach restaurant on a night time for a couple of hours (it's smaller and therefore would have less food made) it would have been nice. all the food, whether speciality restaurant, buffet or room service were all of a high standard.

Again all the staff we met, whether it was the manger, maid or gardener they always said hi and were friendly.

Being low season they were doing running repairs to the hotel, patching up and repainting the corridors and sanding down (all by hand so no noise) then repainting the outside (block 5). However this didn't affect our holiday either by any noise generated, smell of paint, etc. Also they were replacing all the double sun beds which included new mattresses and pillows and also were starting to replace the mattresses on the sun loungers.

Would I return again? definitely.

2 Thank Macsoupdragon
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We are thrilled to hear that we once again provided you with unforgettable vacation memories. Allow us to also thank you for your understanding as we carried out maintenance and redecorating activities – which was all in the interest of maintaining the high standards for which our guests have come to expect from us. We look forward to your return and hope that we can serve you again soon.

Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very close to the airport. We were all impressed with the pool area and bar. The beach was beautiful and very well maintained. I suggest the Grand adults only. It is obvious the staff cares about the customers and interacts very personally to ensure the guests are happy. Lots of activities if you want to participate but quiet and relaxing too if that is your style. Fantastic vacation !!

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. Your recommendation of our property means a lot to us as it serves as a testament, of the dedicated effort of our Management and Staff in ensuring that our guests are happy with their stay. We look forward to serving you again soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Godfrey, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I had stayed in Cancun once a year for the last four years. We tried several of the five-star resorts there. Iberostar Grand in Rivera Maya was unbelievable. In fact, it made us judge the other hotels differently. We compared all the other places we stayed to it and they all fell short. So, when we decided to marry we wanted to plan our honeymoon someplace new. Our choices in Jamaica were Sandals, Secrets, and the Iberostar. We chose the Iberostar Grand in Montego Bay hoping that the name would deliver the same experience as before. ONCE AGAIN they delivered. The service was fantastic, the place was spotless, the staff were always VERY friendly and would go out of their way to get you whatever you needed. I had no remorse tipping everyone there. They were all that good. The maids, bar staff, bell boy, chef, everyone.
Thank you Iberostar for another fantastic stay.

J&J Loftis

1 Thank ibjloftis
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. We are grateful to have been your hosts for your honeymoon. We were even more elated to hear that you had a very memorable stay. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back and trust that you will consider our hotel when planning future vacations or wedding anniversary trip. It would be an honor to be able to serving you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. This place is beautiful, it was our first time staying at an all- inclusive resort. The amenities were great. We love the free Wifi on our room, we love the Butler service( although we didn't see them much, they were always within reach when we called for me). The cleaniness was also plus, they keep the rooms very clean. The His and Hers robes and slippers were also a very nice touch. The couples massage was AWESOME! The atmosphere was very relaxing and romatic. The only thing that I didn't like was the alcohol seemed to be bottom shelf quality. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking for exceptional service and all around good time.

3 Thank Brown_gurl38815
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We appreciated your glowing recommendations of our property in general, service and amenities. We apologize if you were disappointed by our liquor selection and encourage you to email us at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm, the next time you plan to visit to specify which brand you would prefer. Please come again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We recently went to the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand Hotel for the 5th time and enjoyed it as much as before. We have been to 4 other all inclusive in Jamaica including Sandals and this is by far the best. The lobby is ornate and beautiful, the rooms are clean and well maintained, and it is only about 20 minutes from the airport! I cannot begin to tell you that the service is incredible! There is always someone there to get you whatever you needed. The staff at this hotel is by far the friendliest I have ever come across. We always looked forward to our time at the pool bar with Morris, the greatest bartender, but were very disappointed when we heard that he no longer worked at Iberostar. The late afternoon atmosphere at the bar was much more subdued than previous trips.

There is always security on the beach to make sure you are not bothered and that we were always safe. Beware when you leave the property and go east to the “shops.” As soon as you get off the property, the merchants will grab your arm and pull you toward their stores. Plenty of lounge chairs in the sun and the shade lined the beach. There are three pools (one with a swim up bar) and a tip—do not reserve chairs at the pool until after 8 AM, they will remove your items from the chairs. This is a new policy, every other time we were there we reserved our chairs at dawn.
There are 4 ala carte restaurants and two buffets (one for lunch/breakfast and the other for dinner). Our favorite of the a la carte is the Japanese and the maitre d provided great service to us. The Jamaica buffet on Tuesday night was outstanding. Lobster/ Stone Crab Claws were served everyday at lunch, and often in addition to the normal lunch buffet they would have beach BBQs. You don’t get lobster at Sandals….. The alcohol at the bars was top notch, Glenfiddich, Grey Goose, etc. They also had other top shelf liquors but I have never seen Grey Goose at any other resort. Tip #2- You will get better service if you tip the bartenders. A few dollars will go along way and you will not have to wait for drinks.

The resort is extremely well maintained and clean. Staying at the Grand allows you to go between all three of the Iberostar properties but guests at the other resorts cannot go into the Grand. This is highly enforced.

Tip #3, book your excursions at the dive shop on the beach instead of Jamaica Tours, etc. They leave from the Rose Hall beach by boat instead of a bus; with no stops at other hotels!!! Eight or nine dollars more, but worth it…. We just learned this on this trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

5 Thank Cabo448
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We felt privileged to have been able to host you for a fifth time. We were inspired by your positive comments about the service of our staff, and service of our restaurants. Please be reminded though that our hotel’s management tries to discourage guests from going next door the property to shop from illegal vendors as this puts our your safety in jeopardy. Guests are encouraged to utilize the free shuttle to be taken to the Rose Hall Shops and of course, we also encourage to utilize the many shopping options offered on property. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 6th trip and endeavor to make it your best one yet.

Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The moment I arrived at the resort all of my wants were met in a very timely manner. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I would like to recognize a few of the staff members whom I had direct contact with during my stay. Veron the front desk clerk was very helpful. Marlon, Duron, Reniesh, and Donovan, were my Butlers who assisted me during my stay. Sylvester the bell man was very professional and courteous. I visited the Suites often during my stay, I receive excellent service there also from "Happy Feet". I have recommended this resort to my family and friends. I will be going back again next year for a vacation. " I have visited over 14 Countries and I applaud the Jamaicans for making my vacation a very memorable trip because of the excellent service I received. Thank you Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Staff!!!!

Dee

Room Tip: I had a suite on the 2nd floor with a great view of the pool areas and the beach. Ask for a room on...