I'm going to try to give information in this review that is not necessarily present in others. First off, would I go again, yes absolutely without a shadow of a doubt, best holiday I've ever been on.
Ironically I found out about this place because I was looking for somewhere that you could have unlimited lobster. When I got there the lobster was off season because of government restrictions on the fishing period. Not the hotel's fault but I'll definitely return during lobster season. Curiously a lot of the restaurants still had lobster on their menus - some had a slip note to say the lobster was being replaced with shrimp. You'd really expect a 5 star place to print off fresh menus and indeed vary them.
Disappointed with the surf and turf restaurant. Asked for a medium steak, it came cremated and didn't have time to ask for another one as was going to the Pirate Beach Show. Gourmet restaurant was also weird in serving water out of a large plastic bottle (other restaurants it was served out of a metal jug).
The buffet food was absolutely great, I'm a fussy eater and there was so much variety of good quality food on offer you couldn't go wrong. There were themes to the buffet evenings (eg. Oriental, Jamaican) and a suggestion would be to publish the schedule for these themes in advance because if you didn't like the theme for a particular day you could then book a restaurant for that day.
Seen lots of other reviews about the reserving sun bed games. I have to confess each night I would get in from the disco approx. 3:30am and be out at 07:30am every morning getting my favourite spot. However, I wouldn't leave that spot from then unless I was going for 30 mins for food or to the swim up bar, which I think is reasonable. Mostly sun beds weren't unoccupied for the 4+ hours being suggested - it's true people would come at 8am and reserve and not be there until 10-11am but then they would mostly occupy that spot throughout the day.
Went every night to the disco because I like to dance. DJ on the Friday night was excellent, he really knew how to play what the crowd wanted - some of the DJs sometimes played music styles people didn't want for too long, despite the fact it being obvious no one was dancing to it and so people left making the disco more deserted. Disco is shared between all 3 hotels so it has quite a good vibe to it.
Being adults only is what really appealed to me about the hotel as I'm not really a big fan of kids running about screaming. However, some of the other adult guests were worse - why you need to shout so the whole pool can hear when the person you're in 'a conversation' with is just next to you is beyond me. I'm no prude either, spending plenty of summers in Magaluf, but I'd never experienced those kind of noise levels during the day.
Didn't spend much time in the room but a few things to counteract what other reviews have mentioned. Didn't find the 'pooling' of the water in the shower a big inconvenience. You can adjust the air con - the temp controls are by the side of the bed, ice was available for us in the room (but it took some hunting out), mini bar was restocked daily with whatever had run out.
A lot of reviews I've seen have criticised that butlers were never there - I think that's the wrong impression, in all the films I've seen they ring for a butler to appear rather than just expect them to magically be there - and the same was true here. My wife had got burnt on the first day, the pool concierge people had noticed this and radioed up to the butler to supply some after sun, which he dutifully did. Indeed the pool concierge people would always be offering to rub sun cream into me.
Which brings me onto the staff. They are the most friendly, helpful people you will meet.
Shout outs to 'Dr' D.Wayne and Yolanda in the lobby bar. Yolanda had an award winning smile and Dwayne was always keeping us amused with his tricks and banter.
There are a few easy things the hotel could address
- The hotel very generously provides sunscreen but not until 10am, they don't have to do this but I'd noted it from other reviews and took hand luggage only. The sun made an appearance over the buildings between 08:45 - 09:00 so it would be good to have protection for then.
- The in room hotel facilities guide was very old and grubby and as that's the first thing you go to, it doesn't create the best first impression. Be better to either replace every month or cover the sheets in plastic.
- The times the shows begin aren't advertised outside the front of the theatre. Of course all you have to do is ask but I prefer to look up information for myself.
- Please, please get a wider variety of music selection at the pool side bar. Hearing 'I shot the Sheriff' 20 times a day starts getting you down
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with VISIT US, INC. , Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and Jetsetter so you can book your Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Hotel Rose Hall
- Iberostar Montego Bay
- Iberostar Hotel Montego Bay
- Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall Jamaica - Montego Bay