“Iberostar Grand Rose Hall that's wa'gwan”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Iberostar Grand Rose Hall that's wa'gwan”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Wagwan? Let me tell you wagwan....yes I know Jamaican thanks to all of you at the lovely and beautiful Caribbean location in Jamaica.
What can I say about the Grand Rose Hall, it's near perfection for an "all inclusive". Here is the breakdown of our week at IB Grand Rose. First off we were an entire "immediate family" oh wait, not just my family but everybody who works on staff their became part of the family. We were 6 of us, 2 kids 22 & 24, my husband and I (50's) and my folks (78 & 80). There really was something for all of us to do during the day as well as at night.

The IB has this so down that you really don't move a muscle all week unless you're going zip lining, playing Bocci, dancing, or raising your arm to your mouth at the pool bar. Upon arrival cold towels and mimosa's.
We were given a pamphlet upon check in and than were told that our butler would be up to tell us all about the hotel, make reservations, give us the lay of the land, etc.
Thank you to Okeine, yes he was fabulous. Got us champagne, fruit and drew a bubble bath/jacuzzi 2 of the nights. We asked for the "daytime" activities and every night he slipped it under our door. He really was fabulous!.
During the day, so many activities. Thank you Bubbles (sister from another mother)! She was one of the greatest (besides the others) who motivates you to play or partake in what is going on in the hotel outside during the day and evening as well. Bocci Ball, Zumba, cooking paella lessons on the beach, learning how to dance Jamaican style (disaster for me!) no matter what it was they never pushed but always friendly smiling and just FUN to be around!

At night, buffet is fabulous and so is the staff. The 4 restaurants are good too. Men need to wear pants and not shorts. So remember to pack a pair men!
HINT: 1. Upon arriving due your homework and figure out what nights you want to eat at what restaurant and make reservations prior to arriving or the day you arrive your butler can. If not, you might be forced out of a time, or can't get into a restaurant of your choice.
2. Vegetarians, tell your butler ahead of time so that the kitchen can staff and fill your need accordingly. We didn't and one night it took almost 2 hours. Wasn't fun, total misunderstanding.

Okay, most important is your swim-up bar. Wesley, Orville I can go on with the entire list. So friendly, so much fun and so entertaining. Have them make you up a Bob Marley or a Jamaican smile, you'll be smiling and just have one, trust me on this!

Another note: Tipping is not necessary BUT these people become your friends and bend over backwards for you, SO bring extra cash and take care of them. They don't beg they don't ask, but they so deserve it. One day at the bar I said I didn't have any change on me. Orville turned around and said "I don't care, I just want you to have a good time". They are all so sweet. They do become a family member you leave behind but no you're going to come back.

Do not forget to go up to the gym and most necesarrily the spa. Treatments are fabulous, staff is just as courteous and friendly as the rest of the entire hotel. Go try all the whirpools and saunas too. Especially the Rustic. It was a blast.

OK, onto excursions. The Appleton Estate is fun, but it gets hot. Mystic Mountain and Bob Sledding do NOT miss. The view in itself is incredible. YS Falls, pretty and bring your change, these people won't let you just jump in, they give you gloves, explain how and take your picture. Dunns River Falls, fabulous! Go into town to the Hip Strip, Margarittaville. REMEMBER: Tourism IS how they make their money. Be generous! There are more excursions not to miss but definitely not enough time, you're on vacation and there is plenty to do back at hotel too.

If you feel the need to go off premises to eat, do not miss The Boathouse Grille, just incredible. For authentic Jamaican Food you know Scotchies is a must! The Pelican is good too. So much more to write about. Not enough time. Can you tell I loved this vacation and ready (and willing) to go back. Ya Mon!

Oh please try the bread fruit...so delicious so glad I can get it back in New York and if you need a driver, please go out to the front and ask the guys to get you a taxi. Their all great, BUT George M (can't find his business card) to thank him and tell him we miss him already. One of the greatest guys in Mo'Bay! Hope this review helps you to finalize where to go and what to do! Sharon W.

Room Tip: Oceanfront high up, not near elevators!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank ShazzG
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous compliments. Our Management and Staff are grateful that you chose our property for your recent vacation. Your positive review of our staff, amenities, activities and service means a lot to us, as it shows that we were able to meet your discerning standards. Our hotel takes pride in offering the very best in All-Inclusive accommodation, but reviews such as yours show our commitment to satisfying all the expectations of our guests. We look forward to serving you again soon on your return visit.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,003)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
PA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the IB Grand for the 5th time in May.
Everything is still great from the room to the food to the service.
We loved seeing Kenesha again at the beach. She is a GREAT beach waitress. Always smiling! Thanks Kenesha, see you next year!
The pool bartenders are very entertaining and fun just to chat with when they aren't busy.
We usually ordered room service for breakfast. We put the menu on the door each evening and our hot meal would arrive on time. Lunch was either at the buffet or on the beach. They did more cooking on the beach this year which was fun to watch.
We ate at the Italian, Japanese and the Surf 'n Turf for dinner. We enjoyed sitting at the sushi bar at the Japanese restaurant. They were just as entertaining as the hibachi table. I enjoyed the Italian restaurant, but was disappointed that they did not have the seafood lasagna anymore. (even though it is on the menu in the room) But the new lasagna they make is very good. The Surf 'n Turf was just okay. My steak was a little tough.
My only complaint was not about the hotel, but about some of the guests. There was a huge wedding party staying at the resort and they took over ALL the chairs by the pool and they took over the pool as well. It was hard to get in and out of the pool b/c they sat on the steps like they owned the place. This is not a complaint against the resort, just saying that some people need to learn manners.
Overall, this vacation was perfect and my husband and I will be back next May for our 6th time!

Room Tip: We love the 2nd floor rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kimol
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were honored to have been able to host you on your 5th visit. Your positive comments about our staff, room, food and your overall stay will also serve as our reward. Our team works assiduously for the satisfaction of each guest, so reviews like yours means a lot to us, especially since you have had the chance to evaluate us over a period of time. We look forward to seeing you soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return for your 6th visit.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This resort is amazing. Most of the all inclusive resorts offer the same amenities and same food options. What places Iberostar Grand above all the others is simply the amazing people that work there. Every single person that we encountered working at the resort was extremely friendly and seemed to genuinely care if we were happy and being taken care of. The star friends get you involved without being over bearing. G-Money, Bubbles, Mr. Neat, Diva, Short Cake and Fresh all made our vacation a much more enjoyable experience. It is amazing how they can remember your name after only meeting them once especially if you consider how many people cross their path. The bartenders are awesome especially Camrae, Orville and Avian. They were hilarious and at the same time made sure you always had a beverage. Everybody works so hard to please the guests.

There are a lot of comments about seat saving and how it is out of control. Yes, a lot of people place towels on lounge chairs early in the morning but after being there from June 17th to the 24th we never had an issue finding two or more lounge chairs together.

We only saw our butler a couple times but we never called on him so that isn't his fault. Other people in the resort talked about how amazing the butler service was. As a side note there is ice in your ice bucket in the room and it is filled once a day unless requested otherwise. They didn't tell us this we just happend to look in it one day.

The food was good but our favorite by far was the Japanese with Mr. Chin Chin (Jason) who put on a great show and was a very good cook. The buffet's are decent and have a variety of meats and cheeses along with several signature dishes. We didn't care for the Gourmet.

If I had to give negative feedback it would be that the common areas are warm and the rooms don't get very cool.

Last piece of advice, don't buy anything at the resort gift shops! You can buy shirts, hats, key chains etc. at the airport for nearly half the price. We looked at shirts one night and the man in the store told us $12 the next morning the price had risen to $14, these were very cheap shirts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sycamore83
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. It was a privilege for our team to have been able to host you. Your kind compliments about our amenities, food, staff and overall experience was very inspiring to our Management and Staff. We apologize if you thought our gift shop was not competitive. However, the exchange rate in Jamaica fluctuates daily – it would appear that was the reason for the different prices you were quoted. We look forward to serving you again and hope that you will not hesitate to return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Iberostar runs a very well-oiled machine and you can pretty much be rest assured you are taken care of and happy during your entire stay. Staff is extremely friendly, helpful and professional. We ate at each restaurant and enjoyed each one. Our favorite was the Gourmet. We opted to do room service for breakfast most mornings (choose a time slot night before and hang menu on door...much quicker than calling for bfast the morning of). Having a private breakfast on the patio each morning was sooooo nice, we loved it. I LOVE fruit and I have to say the fruit selection was great. I also loved that at the gym, they served fresh fruit smoothies for after your workout! Amazing.

We were also pleasantly surprised by how entertaining the night time shows were. Some true talents up there!

I did not really like how dark and closed off the room hallways felt. Not very Caribbean or beachy feeling at all. I'm confused as to this part of the layout. The artwork was like weird colonial or something....They need to lighten it up in there in more ways than one!

Everything felt very typical of an all-inclusive but one step up. However, it is an all-inclusive so you can still expect the kind of guest who is up at the buffet 7 times a day and sucking down Miami Vice's by the pool bar until sun down. Not a very slightly or chic type of guest. However, there were guests who seemed discerning and lovely. Lots of wedding parties getting hammered by the pool. We didn't mind this, it made things very fun.....but you should expect it.

We loved the jerk chicken demonstration on the beach! Amazing idea.
We were thoroughly impressed by the service around the pool. Always someone asking if you need anything. It was delightful.

The spa treatment itself is amazing - the spa décor - just OK. Definitely not 5 star but I still think it's worth it. I wish I remember my masseuse's name, she was incredible!

Overall, great hotel and I do recommend, especially if you like all-inclusives. I think I am getting a little jaded with the whole all-inclusive atmosphere and may go for a more boutique, exclusive feel for that price next time. But that is just me :)

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Melrose8623
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. Your comments about our staff, restaurants, food options, service at the spa and overall hotel stay will also serve to motivate our team. We also appreciated your honest feedback regarding our décor, We look forward to serving you again soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My first time on the beautiful island of Jamaica! However after this trip it will NOT be my last! I am not one to write reviews, but this place deserves one. There are no words for Iberostar to truly express how amazing it is. From the moment you arrive you feel at home. The service is second to none. The first person we meet was William great personality made me feel comfortable and had a smile on the face of my other half. Which is BIG!
The bartender’s at the pool the Kerry, Oneil, and Cameron were awesome. The pool was the place to be, and somehow they made us feel like we were they only ones there, it was amazing the attention to detail they had. They made the experience at the pool incredible. In some way shape form or fashion I landed in hot water (as always) with my other half. I ran into our butler Duran and just mentioned getting myself into hot water with her. I stated “Duran I got myself into some trouble with the woman” he smiled, and then I said “Duran I need some champagne or something. PLEASE?! We are going to dinner at 8:30.” He smiled again and said “Don’t worry” I walk away and not straight line, if you know what I mean. After a very good dinner we came back to the room to tea lights on the floor and hearts on the bed and rose pedals everywhere. Needless to say thanks to my man Duran the rest of the trip was spectacular! When you go you want to stay on whatever floor Duran is on.
This is an absolutely enchanting place to stay at, whether you can go as a couple, with friends or with the entire family. I definitely recommend it and look forward to going back to very soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ryan C
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments. We are honored to have been able to accommodate you. Our team recognizes that of the myriad of other resorts you could have chosen for your vacation, you opted to stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. To this end, we are cognizant of the fact that we have a duty to ensure that you are 100% satisfied. So it was very rewarding for our Management and Staff to hear that you had a fantastic time with us. We look forward to hosting you again soon and trust that you will think of us as your Jamaican “home away from home”.

Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stay here - everything about it is amazing. Except the strip of beach (but if you aren't in to water sports that doesn't matter). The drinks are a little on the weak side, but the service, FOOD (especially the yummy hibachi), and gorgeousness make up for it. I wish we could have stayed longer than an extended weekend.

100% coming back every year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dominique R
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were delighted to have been your hosts whilst on your recent vacation to Jamaica. We have noted your positive comments about our food as well as your feedback on the drinks you were served. We apologize wholeheartedly if your drinks were not as strong as you would have liked and are sorry you did not request your Bartender to make them a little stronger. We invite guests who have any such problems with their drinks, to speak with the Bartender or Restaurant and Bars Manager who would be only too happy to ensure your total satisfaction. It is hoped that you will return soon as we would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand from June 1-8. We were a little scared because the reviews were all so great we wondered if it could really live up to our expectation – but it did ;) This review will be very long because I am going to relive my vacation as I write it!!

It was such a welcome relief to enter the lobby after getting of the (old rickety yucky hot) bus that we had booked with our package through JTL – will take a private transfer next time! The lobby is beautiful, mimosas were offered, we were checked in very quickly and brought to our room by one of the porters, Eion – great guy, excellent customer service. He showed us around the room, answered any questions and we were ready to enjoy! Our butler didn’t show up in the first 30 minutes or so and I called down to the concierge who had him come up and get us settled with ice, confirmations of reservations and mini bar requests. I found that the butler service really depended on who was assigned to your floor that day. We had 3 or 4 different guys due to vacation coverage and our butlers were not overly proactive but they always took care of any requests we made – We had Glendon (who surprised us with a bottle of rum cream our second day) and Ray (very professional and friendly). One of the butlers arranged to have the room decorated with balloons and extra special animal towel creations for a birthday which was very sweet. On our second last afternoon I was shown where the ice machine was and would have gladly gotten my own instead of calling butlers and room service for ice all the time if I knew it was there earlier!

We spent pretty much all day every day from 7am to late afternoon at the beach. Being early risers we were able to get the beach palapa that we wanted every day. Getting a sunbed at the beach never seemed to be a problem for people but the resort was definitely not full that week and there were no huge parties of people that I saw. We were pretty lazy, just spent lots of time in the ocean, some snorkeling and hanging out in the sun and shade. We got to know a few other couples well and always had great conversation and fun ;) Now on to the (IMO) hardest working people – the beach drink servers – amazing thanks to Raquel, Sonja and Jodene. They took care of us every day and came to see what we needed constantly, suggested fun drinks, chatted with us and ensured we were take care of overall. How they walk around in the heat on the beach (and Raquel is pregnant!!) in full work clothes and carrying trays of drinks amazes me. I wish they were allowed to wear more comfortable, cooler uniforms!! Thank you so much ladies for everything!

In terms of the food, I totally agree with some other reviewers – this is not 5 star, Michelin, “fine dining” – this is an all-inclusive in a country that does not regularly “do” Italian, Japanese, French etc. I loved the buffets and always searched out the Jamaican food, all the food was fresh, well presented and yummy. There was definitely no skimping on quality ingredients. I really loved the fresh juice bar at breakfast and the great cheeses and excellent smoked salmon. We were there during the lobster hiatus which was too bad but I found lots of other great food to try. We went to the Gourmet, Surf and Turf twice and the Italian. The food at the Gourmet was very good but unbelievably rich (we had the tenderloin and the veal blanquette). The Surf and Turf was our favourite, excellent steaks, the yummiest scallops gratin and the lamb – all very good. I highly recommend the apple custard dessert… soooooo good and the fried ice cream – Fitzroy was a GREAT waiter  our least favourite was the Italian – the “ricotta ravioli in tomato/red sauce” was yet more cream sauce!! And the osso bucco was very sinewy and too much fat was left on. However, the octopus carpaccio (it was cooked, not raw) was amazing (although I would have left off the potato foam) and the one thing that was outstanding – ricotta fritters with honey – wow!

My favourite above everything was the jerk chicken lunches cooked on the beach – so great! We only went to the lunch buffet once, as really we could only manage two meals a day and we were covered with the breakfast buffet, beach lunches and dinners.

We are drinkers and really appreciated the grey goose vodka drinks at the beach, such a luxury, Tanqueray and Sky vodka in the mini bar (I think I could have gotten grey goose in the mini bar if I had asked the butler). I’m not so sure how the room service menu worked – on paper it was very limited (both food and times) but I think (again, if we had asked) we could have ordered outside of the menu as well – although we really liked the club sandwich and the burger was excellent!!

We tried the casino – no big fun there, fairly limited with few older machines but it is there if you want it, we skipped the theater shows (way too hot in there) and just took it easy in the evenings.

Our room was 5411 which had a great view of the pool and ocean (stunning view actually). It was a standard junior suite, we tried to upgrade at the desk by "slipping" the front desk guy cash but it didn't work. He said 'you have a lovely standard junior suite' and he was absolutely right, I was totally happy with it and would ask for the same room if/when we stay there again – I appreciated having the pool view because there was always lots to look at it was fun hearing other people out there having fun when we were in our room. It was very close to the elevator (and ice machine!). As everyone has pointed out, the rooms are very nice and well laid out – one hint – leave the cabinet door that houses your mini fridge open as much as possible – it will keep your drinks MUCH colder!! We found the bathrooms/showers very clean (and we are fairly picky) and had no issues with a couple of minor scrapes/chips on the furniture, it’s 5 star but they can’t replace everything the moment it becomes a tiny bit worn. The bed was very comfortable and felt fresh every day. The rooms get pretty muggy and condensation forms when you try to keep the sliding door open, I would have liked the opportunity to keep the A/C on low when the door was open to try to keep it cooler and help minimize the condensation but that is not very green of me!! I used the ceiling fans a lot. The balcony was huge and wonderful! I woke up super early a lot of mornings (hard to change my schedule) and loved sitting out there at 4am listening to the crazy crickets and strange bird calls (I think they were birds!!)

It was hard to say goodbye to the Grand but I guess there is only so much paradise one can take… I suppose if someone wanted to scrutinize everything they could find things that go wrong that could affect their enjoyment at the Grand but honestly, I loved it all and can’t wait to go back – while nothing is perfect in this world, the Grand made our vacation as perfect as could be 

One last thing about the service – we tipped and tipped A LOT. It was hard not to when the service is that good and people are working so hard. I don’t know if that affected anything but it seemed to me that everyone was treated extremely well whether they tipped or not. I really do think that the Grand has the best consistent customer service that I have ever experienced in a hotel/resort. Every single person was at a minimum welcoming and pleasant. The people that work there are what really make the experience memorable and that is what I would come back for!

Leaving Jamaica hints: We cancelled the JTL transfer and took a taxi to the airport (arranged by the porter) best $40 we spent the entire vacation!! Also booked Club Mobay for the departure lounge – definitely worth it – best rum punch I had the whole week!

If you have any questions feel free to ask! And thanks to ALL the many, many TripAdvisor reviewers who wrote so much about the Grand. I read pretty much all your reviews and it really helped me know what to do (and expect) to ensure a great vacation!

Room Tip: All the rooms are exactly alike, pay for what view you want - our room was standard and we loved it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RNSS_13
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We were thrilled to read the account of your recent stay with us, particularly as it highlighted our emphasis on service. Your comments about our luxuriously appointed rooms and relaxing ambience at the beach/pool was also motivating, It was a pleasure to learn that you also enjoyed our delicious cuisine both in our restaurants and buffet. We trust that you will think of returning soon as it would be a great privilege to be able to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!