“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
East Lansing, Michigan
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one week in early April 2013. We loved it.

First, the staff are phenomenal. The Iberostar has several people called "Star Friends", they are fun young people who socialize with all of the guests and are a great reason to stay here. They set up volleyball games, teach water aerobics, and set up contests for the guests. I have not stayed at another resort with so many fun young people.

The resort is one of 3 resorts that are all connected. This is the adults only. We loved this as both of the other resorts seemed to have lots of kids. Guests from the Grand can go to all of the other resorts but not vice versa. The other resorts also looked nice, but not quite as nice as the grand.

The food was great. I think that I had lobster nearly every night in some form, several times accompanied by filet mignon. The wine was OK, I have never really been thrilled with the wine at all inclusive resorts and this was not an exception. All of the other drinks were great (and included). The lunch buffet at the Iberostar was nothing great, and was one of the only disappointing aspects of our stay, however the chef who grilled at poolide for lunch was awesome. Much better than the lunch buffet.

We were also pleased with the entertainment. Every night they put on a show of some sort. The resort has a Las Vegas style theater where the shows are done. One minor complaint, is that you can never really know when a show (or any event) is going to start. Island time.

The location is great, very nice beach, beautiful water, hills across the road. We did not go off of the resort, mainly because there was really no compelling reason to leave. The area did not really seem like a good place to walk around. The resort is out of the city about 15 minutes by bus. Nothing is really within walking distance.

We have previously stayed at the Royal in Cancun, and the Royal in Playa del Carmen. This place is certainly on par with both of those (outstanding) resorts, possibly slightly nicer.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Silrak
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your positive review. We are excited to hear that we had played such an integral role in a memorable vacation for you and your wife. Your comments about our staff, food, entertainment and idyllic location of our property also meant a lot to our team. It is hoped that you will not hesitate to return for your next vacation and especially invite you to think of our hotel as your vacation, “home away from home”.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,710)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Overall, this resort is a perfect destination for the "tropical paradise" vacation variety. It's certainly the fanciest all-inclusive resort I've experienced so far. My girlfriend and I were there celebrating our 5th anniversary. We agreed it was a satisfying trip, and we wished we could stay longer. The rest of my review will proceed as lists of pros and cons.

+Our oceanfront suite (room 6023) gave us a beautiful view of the ocean and direct access to the beach via a side-door just outside the room itself. This room is in the far corner of the resort, so we even had a mostly-secluded section of the beach to ourselves. Every room has a hot tub with air jets.
+At the Grand Hotel, you get not one but two butlers - a morning butler and an evening butler. They are available 24 hours, but they don't bother you unless you ask for something. If you are celebrating a special occasion (like an anniversary), the butler will make up a special bath with rose pedals and champagne. The fridge/bar is stocked full of excellent drinks (rum, gin, wine, beer, soda, spring water, ice cubes) and is re-stocked every day. You can even customize it if you want. There is even a "pillow menu" with six types of pillows.
+The whole staff is just ridiculously friendly. I don't know how they maintain such enthusiasm for their jobs. I know they work at a beautiful vacation resort, but ANY job gets boring eventually. But everyone here is constantly happy - not in a fake and forceful way, but in a relaxed and chill way.
+The food is generally excellent for my taste. I like simple, flavorful food, and that's exactly what Jamaica is all about. The Jerk chicken is awesome...I must learn the recipe for that sauce. They have two buffet restaurants (one indoor, one outdoor beachside) and four fine-dining restaurants (Italian, Japanese, Surf and Turf, and French Gourmet). My favorite in terms of food was the Surf and Turf because I ordered filet mignon, and it was the most tender cut of steak I had ever eaten (but, to be honest, I don't eat steak very often). The Japanese is cool because the chefs are very entertaining as they cook the food in front of you, and they give personalized shout-outs to every guest. And that's to say nothing of the OTHER Iberostar hotels next door, which you also have access to as a guest at the Grand. I didn't even have time to visit those, but they are there and have their own restaurants.
+The entertainment group, called the Star Friends, is really cool. They play games on the beach and pool areas during the day, and every night at 10 pm they put on a show in the theater. The shows are solid! Most of them involve music and dance, but they also mix it up occasionally. For example, on Saturday they did a gameshow called Ideal Couple in which they brought four couples on stage to do funny/embarrassing activities. If you stay and linger at the Aqua Bar after the show, the Star Friends will hang out with you and make conversation. They do a really good job of pretending to be interested in everyone. I could almost believe they actually care about thousands of hotel guests at a personal level. Lol.
+The whole resort is filled with a distinctive Jamaican vibe. I really love their culture. It's so chill. You are always greeted with Hey Mon, Yeah Mon, No Problem Mon, Respect!

-The bad thing about room 6023 is that, being on the far corner of the resort, you can always see the security guards outside your room when you go out on the patio. Also, they were doing some construction on the building, so we constantly had workers outside our patio. It's awkward when you walk outside in just a robe to take in the beauty of the ocean sunrise...only to see workers and security guards walking directly in front of your patio. I can't really hold this against the hotel, as they need security and construction work, but nonetheless it slightly detracted from the experience. So THAT'S why they "upgraded" us to oceanfront...
-I found one small cockroach and one honeybee in the room. I was able to easily kill the roach with a slipper and wash the bee down the sink drain. I'm sure this is rare, and I was just unlucky.
-For some odd reason, the swimming pools close at 6 pm, and they don't allow women to go topless. This is an adults only resort...why not? (Perhaps some will say that's not classy; I will respond that you're a prude!)

3 Thank Arcadian_Cyborg
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments. It was certainly a pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable time. We would also like to express our sincere apology that you had to witness maintenance staff and security staff periodically passing your room whilst you were in your room. Though it was necessary to do much needed maintenance work, we would not have hesitated to grant you a room change. We have also noted that you enjoyed that particular room, so that might have explained why you did not request the room change.

It is hoped that you will return in the near future as our team would be thrilled to be able to welcome you back.

Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were at this resort 5-10 thru 5-18. We went to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro Punta Cana, June 2012. The Rose Hall location DOES NOT COMPARE! If you want luxury go to the Bavaro Punta Cana location. We will certainly be there nex year!!!!!!!
Let me start by saying the the food at this resort if very good! The staff is lovely. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. This ends the good comments.
1. The decor of this resort looks as though they took every left over item from all the other resorts and threw it up on the walls....there is no theme, rhyme or reason (Punta Cana resort is a delight for the eyes and senses)
2. The lobby and indoor eating areas or closed off, shut up, hot, stuffy...even in the less exclusive resorts the lobby area is open to the outside...take advantage of what people come to the caribbean to see.
3. The cocktails and sodas are hit or miss...sometimes they are good and other times you can not drink them they are so bad
4. You will need Night Vision Goggles in two areas...the main gift store in the Suites location is so dark that you are just as likely to grab a tube of itch cream as to get the sun screen you came for....I purchased a sun hat and a small toothpaste. When purchasing ANYTHING at the Punta Cana location they put it in a smart little bag with the resort logo on the bag...At this location they put my purchases inside the hat and handed it to me!
The second location for the night vision goggles is your own patio/balcony after 11:00 p.m. This is the time everynight when all balcony lights automatically go off....FORGET reading a book on your balcony after this time or having a glass of wine with your husband...if no night vision goggles are available be sure to pack a head lamp.
5. Beware of the edges of the pools...they are crumbling and falling off...near our "sunspot" the concrete was gone around the pool edge with the rebar showing ( about 6 inches long)

• 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank taalaa
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are disappointed that we did not meet your discerning taste. Your comments have been noted and we assure you that we intend to look into your suggestions as it concerns our décor, lighting, the eating facilities and the pool. It was unfortunate that you had not requested to speak with a member of our Management team who would have been happy to address your concerns. We were also a little surprised to hear that you did not get your items at the shop in a bag and found this unusual as our shop does in fact utilize logo bags for guest purchases. We apologize wholeheartedly for that experience at the shop and have also passed on your comments to the Shops Manager.

Your positive comments about the service of the staff and the food meant a lot to us as it means we managed to leave a memorable impression in those areas. We trust that you will think of returning as it would be our sincere pleasure to serve you a second time.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Me and my wife thorougly enjoyed the Iberostar Grand. We booked through Delta vacations, and they arranged airport transfer, plane ticket, and hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted with exceptional service. The staff immediately began to train us on what exceptional service is, since it is rare these days. We arrived slightly early and went to lunch as we waited on our room. Lunch was at the outside restaurant on the beach. Simply put amazing views, average food. After this meal I didn't expect much food wise, however All the other choices were exceptional. The Japanese restaurant was fun and the food was good, the Surf and Turf food was outstanding, and the gourmet buffet inside the hotel was top notched and always featured Jamican selections on the menu. We had only positive interactions with the staff, the Star friends went out there way to keep you smiling, the pool bar and lobby bar kept the drinks coming, and my wife over indulged on the popcorn from the lobby bar. The room was perfect and our view was of the pools and ocean. We did not see our butler as much, but he was there when we needed, as well as the concierge. Again, no disappointment from the efforts of the staff, they truly make the difference and this resorts staff matches the natural beauty of Jamica. In short we will be back, you earned our business, see you next week.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We are grateful for the chance to have hosted you whilst on your previous visit, but are even more excited at the prospect of welcoming you back next week. Your comments are motivating to our team of star friends and the rest of the Iberostar family. May we also remind you to email pr.grandrh@iberostar.com.jm regarding your dinner reservations as this helps to ensure you get your preferred restaurants. As it pertains to your Butler, you can leave messages with your concierge as to a meeting time and any other special requests you may have. Our Management and Staff look forward to seeing you and trust that we will once again surpass your expectations.

houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We went for our 30th anniversary, and it couldn't have been more perfect. The resort is just the right size, not too crowded. You don't have to walk for miles to eat. The food was the best I've had at the many resorts I've gone to. You can order room service anytime. We did for breakfast every morning. It was heaven. The beach is beautiful, and the customer service is impeccable. We have been to Iberostars in other places, always quality, but the people working here in Jamaica were the nicest I'd ever been around. I honestly don't have one complaint. The rooms are very nice. Two sinks at each end of the bathroom, rainfall shower head. Nightlights in bathroom floor as well. If it's a special occasion they fill your bubble bath and make a heart with rosé petals w/ champagne. We didn't do the private dinner on the beach, but we saw one from our room. So nice! Another nice thing is they don't play loud music around the pool. Just the right volume and good music. And NONE at night. We just loved the whole experience.

Stayed May 2013
6 Thank rightwingsparkle
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to review our property on this website. We are grateful for the opportunity to have accommodated you whilst on your recent trip to Jamaica. It was inspiring to hear you praise the quality of our food, beach, rooms, ambience and customer service. Our team works assiduously to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests so it is also encouraging to hear your positive comments. We urge you to come again soon as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon from May 16th thru May 20th. We decided to stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (Adults-Only) resort because of all the great reviews. The resort was everything and more from what we were expecting during the four nights we were there. The servie at this resort is exceptional. It was about a half hour drive from the Montego Bay airport. We utilized the Jamaican Tours shuttle.

Room: We were upgraded to an Ocean and Pool view room. The rooms are spacious and very clean. They made our bed twice a day which was awesome. The refrigerator was always stocked. The first night they made a complimentary bubble bath for my husband and I when we got back from dinner with flowers and candles.

Food: The buffet was probably the best buffet we have had at an All-Inclusive resort yet. The Jamaican station was great! Our favorite restaurants were the French and Japanese. The Surf & Turf and Italian were just ordinary food.

Pool/Beach: The beach was clean with clear blue water but we spent majority of our time at the pool. The pools are great and the bartenders and waitresses are always around. Sonia was always around for our drink orders. She was great! Our only drawback was that you had to wake up early to reserve chairs by the pool.

Overall, we had an AMAZING stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We would most definitely return to this resort if we come back to Jamaica. The people are always so nice and happy. The food was great along with the pool and entertainment. The Star Friends always brightened your day and night. Others complained about never hearing from their Butler but our Butler actually checked up on us at least twice a day.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6404 and it was perfect! It had an Ocean and Pool view and it was very convenient...
3 Thank Gisha T
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your positive review. We are honored to know that you enjoyed the layout of our rooms, food, pool/beach and the service of the star friends. It was a privilege to have been your hosts for your honeymoon and we encourage you to return for your 1st year anniversary or your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

A true vacation. Beautiful sunrise and sunsets from beachfront rooms.
Iberostar Grand Resorts are a true luxe experience. All service and amenities were great.

We really felt it was a true vacation, can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank SunriseSunsetNyc
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous comments. We are honored to have been able to serve you. It was a pleasure to learn that you had enjoyed the scenic views, luxurious accommodation, service and amenities. Please come again soon as we look forward to serving you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 67 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 1,839 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!