“Loved it!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week. We loved this resort! It was beautiful and clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only thing we didn't love was our room; we were on the side on the bottom floor and could not see the ocean. The staff tried moving us to a different room but we chose to stay where we were to keep the king size bed. Having a butler was wonderful - they are there for anything you need.
Morris, at the swim up bar, can whip up a mean Jamaican smile!
I would love to return to this resort sometime!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank EmmerJane10
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent vacation. We apologize for not being able to fully please you with regards to the room you were assigned. Unfortunately, we were fully booked during that week and were not as flexible as we usually are, in making room changes. Please be assured though that we look forward to providing a better view on your next visit. Despite that particular difficulty, we are grateful to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and showing you our usual high level of service.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Iberostar Grande in Rose Hall 1/5 thru 1/12/13. I booked both the hotel and airport transfers through Expedia, an easy process for us. The resort is beautiful -- grounds well card for, lots of flowers, plants and trees on property. The staff really impressed with their friendliness and attentiveness. Our garden view room was clean and spacious. The food delicious and plenty of variety to our tastes. I had our butler make restaurant reservations for the week for us as soon as we arrived. No issues. We're "go with the flow" kind of folks who thoroughy enjoyed the entire experience. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana May 2012, which will also highly recommend. Both properties provided just the type of relaxing vacation experience we were seeking.

Room Tip: We don't spend much time in our rooms when we travel; therefore, we find the lower cost room opt...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LifeCoach7

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We feel privileged to have been able to share in the memories of your recent vacation. Your compliments concerning the layout of our property, staff, food and efficiency of our Butler was also duly noted. We look forward to being able to serve you again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here and loved every minute! We chose this hotel because I was pregnant and we were looking for a relaxing, upscale, adults-only vacation before the arrival of our first child.

Food + Drinks
The food and drinks here were fantastic! They had all kinds of top shelf alcohol and wines. I was obviously (& unfortunately) not drinking, so the bartenders went out of their way to make me delicious fruit smoothies, ice cream drinks, and other creative nonalcoholic drinks. They also managed to find me nonalcoholic (sparkling grape juice) Champagne!

The dinners were delicious. We were super impressed with the restaurants! The quality of food and presentation style far exceeded any other all-inclusive that I've ever been to. The gourmet restaurant was our favorite, but the Italian was a close second. We did wander over to the other Iberostar properties to check out their restaurants, but their menus did not compare to ours so we ate all of our meals at the Grand. I didn't mind going back to restaurants we had already been to since everything on the menu sounded delicious and I want to try it all! Reservations can be difficult to get if you have a particular time and restaurant you want to go to, but it was never an issue for us as our schedules were flexible. I'd suggest booking as many reservations as you can first day you arrive.

We also did try ordering room service breakfast two days while we were there. It was nice to eat on our balcony however we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet so we ate there most mornings.

Beach + Pool
The grounds, beach, & pool are all gorgeous and well maintained. We spent all of ours days at the beach since it was quieter & less crowded than the pool. We never had trouble finding 2 chairs under an umbrella, however the towel holding game does go on at both the beach and pool. The beach was clean & the water was clear with very little seaweed. The resort also has people that walk up the beach taking drink orders all day long. It was great. :)

Rooms
We sprung for the oceanfront room and it was worth it. We had a gorgeous view so we spent a lot of time on our balcony. The room was huge, the bathroom was great, & the bed was very comfortable. The room was cleaned twice daily and the mini fridge was restocked everyday(beer, wine, water, juices, sodas, & snacks). They also have mini fragrance burners throughout the whole hotel and in our rooms, which made for a nice and relaxing atmosphere. My only complaint about the rooms is that you could hear the cleaning crew in the very early morning through the hallway door, however if you shut the second (bedroom) door it wasn't as much of an issue.

We didn't see our concierge too much after the first day, but he did make us a few dinner reservations and got me a few bottles of nonalcoholic champagne throughout the week. He was always available if we needed him, we're just the type to keep to ourselves.

Star Friends + Entertainment
Being that I was pregnant and we were typically away from the party crowd, the star friends kept us included but I appreciate that they also kept their distance. There were lots of games and activities throughout the day and shows at night. The resort next-door had a nightclub but we never made it over to check it out.

Other Misc
We used Clive's Transport to get us to & from the airport/hotel. They were great, cheap, and I would highly recommend them! We got a private car for both trips for the same price as a group transport.

We did one excursion up to Croydon Plantation. It was a full day trip up to the mountains where we got a tour of the plantation and all the fruits they produce. It was more educational than activity based and we really enjoyed it.

Overall we really enjoyed this resort! It definitely has an upscale feel to it that I haven't seen at other all-inclusives. We have stayed at other (non Grand) Iberostar properties, and this was definitely a big step up. I would highly recommend this resort & I am eager to try out other Iberostar Grand properties!

Room Tip: Although I can't imagine there's a bad view in the whole place, the ocean front was well wor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank daisyrow11

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your warm review. We are honored to have been your hosts on your recent vacation. We are pleased to hear that our cuisine, pool/beach, rooms, and entertainment had met your satisfaction. It is hoped that you will also return for other special milestones as it would be a privilege to contribute to other special memories. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to return soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

There simply aren't enough words to say how wonderful this resort is. Above all, the thing that will take us back again and again is the top notch personal service. Stanley, Lucky, Kiki, and so many others made every single day memorable and wonderful. The drinks were divine! Be sure to ask for a "pretty in pink" from my bartender friend at the main bar...or a "dirty banana" or "bob marley" by the pool. Each of the restaurants were wonderful, but we especially loved the Surf and Turf and the Gourmet. The nightly shows were really fun, and the live music was exceptional. The Star Friends by the pool were tons of fun. They kept activities going on all the time for those who wanted to participate. Sometimes we did (and won great prizes), and other times we preferred to nap or read on the beautiful bed-like loungers under the palm trees. The spa was divine. We splurged on the couples massage under the stars, and it was well worth the fee. We went into town one morning, and though we enjoyed the experience, we were content to stay at the resort the whole time. From the mimosas we were given when we first stepped off the shuttle, to the friendly goodbyes from staff whom we had begun to think of as friends, it was the perfect getaway.

Room Tip: Spring for ocean front. It's well worth it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AngieBorden

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to have been your chosen destination for your recent visit to the island. It was a pleasure to hear that our staff, restaurants, entertainment, spa and drinks had all met your high standards. Please be assured that we are already looking forward to your next visit to our property, so we hope you will not hesitate to return.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2012 for 5 nights. Modern, clean hotel with beautiful views. Food was ok. Breakfast and lunch are buffet, I found the food to different from American food I am used to. Did not enjoy these two meals at all, kind of a bad point of the trip. Dinners were great, enjoyed each restaurant we tried. While we had a wonderful time in Jamaica, the resort was too small and compact for us. Felt a bit trapped. We prefer the larger resorts, with tons of room to walk and explore so it may be a personal preference. Staff was wonderful and attentive, had tons of fun with Dwayne at the lobby bar. We would not return mainly due to the size of the resort and the poor breakfast and lunch food.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sstamper1218

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your opinion of your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We wanted to remind you that when our guests stay at the Iberostar Grand you have access to visiting the Iberostar Suites and Iberostar Beach also. This gives you a long stretch of beach as well as grounds to walk. Your comments regarding our staff will also go a far way in encouraging our team members. We apologize if you thought our deed fell below par and will certainly endeavor to make improvements. We will be passing on your comments regarding the cuisine to our Executive Chef.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Grand Rose Hall All Adult Hotel. We were traveling with my husband's brother and his wife.
This place is wonderful. On arrival we walked right up to the counter and were checked in together with rooms side by side. We were in rooms 5429 and 5430 facing the ocean on the top floor. My critique of the rooms must say that they were very clean. And I am very picky about this. The bathrooms were nice, large, two sinks, a Jacuzzi tub, walk in shower and a toilet area that was closed off with a door. The toilet area is see-thru glass though and it really did not make it a “private” area. The shower had a rainfall shower head. Nice pressure but I personally would have like other jets or a hand held nozzle as rinsing is difficult. Perfectly clean bathroom with morning service and evening service and clean towels always. Wish they could find a place to hang the towels that is a little easier to reach as I had to step into the tub to get one off the rack. More closets and drawers then anyone could possibly ever need! The bed area is not as big as I have been in with most luxury hotels. The temperature was inconsistent even though we rarely opened the sliding door to the balcony and only briefly if we did. At night we would be alternately very hot or very cold. The Ipod dock would not charge up the device. We could use it but it would not charge. The room could use a charging port. We had to unplug a lamp on the desk to charge our various devices. The TV worked nicely after we figured out the remotes.
Service was terrific. Every staff member smiled and talked to us. The staff makes a point of asking what your name is and calls you by name when they see you again. The butler service is a little off-putting. To me I think they were just looking for tips. They did try to bring you what you requested but it just seem weird to me. We asked for a specific wine but got a different kind. We asked for soft pillows. One was OK but the other was really not. We made most of our own reservations for dinner before we got there but the butler did make one for our group. Sometimes we got ice in the room, sometimes not. Inconsistent with that, We did get bubbles and rose petals in the tub one night and towels in swan formation! Reminded me of our cruises! Housekeeping was EXCELLENT.
Beach and pools were nice. There was some holding of lounges but they staff did try to clear the towels off if they did not see anyone using them for a while. Waitress service was very fast around the pool, slower on the beach. Activities were nice. If you wanted to be active, there was always something going on. Games, exercises and such. If you wanted to just rest or read, you were left alone. Beach was raked and clean. Pools were FREEZING COLD! The so-called hot tub at the pool area was more like a COLD Plunge.
I only utilized the wet room at the spas area and this was very large and nice. Because the men’s side steam room was being repaired one day. The wet room was co-ed. That is better to me but bathing suits were required and I know some people like top go all-natural The next day the repairs were done and then there was Women and Men wet rooms. Large Roman tubs of various temps and Jacuzzis with hot or hotter water! Very large steam and sauna. Could not figure out how to use Swedish Showers and no one around to ask. Gym is nice but very hot. .
Restaurants_ The breakfast buffet was OK. I really would have liked to see it change daily but there were many choices.
Lunch buffet at St Maria’s was different every day. Nice choices, Plentiful and high quality.
Dinner was pretty good. We absolutely loved the surf and turf restaurant. Sasha-Gay, our server, really treated use Grandly!.. She was sure to offer use a lobster tail along with whatever entree we ordered. She brought the sides to our table family style so we could all try everything. She was funny and very attentive.
The Italian restaurant server was not as nice. He was sure to tell use we could only have one entree and one appetizer. Portions were small and our group are very big eaters. We did not like his attitude. The Gourmet restaurant was almost laughable. We are “Foodies” with many years of restaurant experience. I asked questions about the preparation of some of the listed dishes. There was a very limited amount of choices so this should not have been difficult for the server. He could not answer anything about the dishes and I think I scared him off. He kind of hid from us. Food there was good but not great. The Japanese restaurant really annoyed me. We had reservations but were not seated at the grill. What is the point of going to a Tapanake style restaurant if not to see the “show” .
Evening shows were fun. The theater was very modern and big. They had a different show every night were there. Fun and professional. Reminded me of cruise shows.
Weather. We had temperatures in the 80’s. Clouds and sun and a lot of wind. The ocean was really stirred up but the water was warm.
We walked thru both the Suites and the Beach hotels. Lobbies are big and very different in each one. The pools at the Suites looked like fun and had a lazy river but very few people were in it. Probably because the water is so cold! If we came back to Iberostar, we might try the Suites. There were kids there but not nearly as many as at the Beach hotel. The Grand is adult only and a much older more subdued crowd.
Transportation to and from the airport was TERRIBLE both ways. We booked thru Expedia and this was their recommended transportation. Jamaica Tours I will let them know how disappointed we were with it. At arrival. We were placed on a very large bus that probably held 50 or more people. We sat there waiting for many flights to arrive and fill the bus. We sat there another hour after the bus was full for reasons unknown. The driver got on once and said he could not leave until his dispatcher gave him permission to do so. The people on the bus were getting very annoyed. Then people were getting off to get a beer or to have a cigarette so we had to be sure they were back on the bus. Wasted a good two hours of my precious vacation time. Once we left we had to drop off people at three other hotels before the Iberostar properties but that was not the issue. But in the transportation back to the airport. When stopping at each of the hotels, the driver and the hotel staff were always looking for missing people. We sat at one hotel for about 30 minutes. I was afraid of missing the plane and the driver just blamed everyone but himself. Seems no one knew who was supposed to be picked up. Buses were dirty and chairs were broken. Not happy with this service AT ALL. Should be named Jamaican-Me-Crazy.
Airport at Montego Bay. Very nice, Fast efficient. No problems. Lots of shops. Clean.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. It was inspiring to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our hotel rooms, excellent service and variety of entertainment shows. We aim to ensure that each guest is treated to a luxurious and flawless vacation experience so your review was quite rewarding. As it concerns your comments about the service of Jamaica Tours Limited, feel free to share your comments directly with that company at info@jamaicatoursltd.com. We look forward to hosting you again soon and hope you will not hesitate to return.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

loved this resort! fantastic staff! great food. pools and beach were fabulous too. there were a few things that bothered us: guests can smoke at the resort ( although not inside ) but for two non smokers this bothered us. also, from everything I had read prior to going I didn't realize that Jamaica is very windy from jan - mar , so be prepared for sand blasts on the beach. also guests tend to get up early to reserve their pool side or beach chairs really early in the morning . I haven't been to many all inclusives so perhaps this is common. but we were frustrated that most chairs were being saved with towels sometimes all day and no one ever used them! felt like the hotel should monitor that . and lastly Jamaica is EXPENSIVE! rum is cheaper at home ( although duty free at airport was super cheap ) and everyone expects a tip! we budgeted for $ 5/ day in tips which helped

• Stayed: January 2013
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. Your review of our food, pools and beach was also encouraging to our team. We are currently trying to address the issue of saving chairs with towels, by removing them every one (1) hour. We look forward to hosting you again soon, and hope that you will think of your Jamaican “home away from home”.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!