“Great Vacation !”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This resort was much more than I expected. Everyone was so friendly and helpfull. Our bellman, Eion, was so pleasant, explained many things to us, and took his time to answer any questions that we had. Our room was fabulous, VERY CLEAN and beautiful. My wife and I enjoyed the most relaxing, satisfying and wonderful vacation, ever! Our stay started Dec. 1 for 7 nights. It was much too short.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate that you took the time on your return home to give your feedback of our property. Your recommendation of our staff, room and hotel in general is also inspiring to our team. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I just got back from our 3rd trip to IGRH where we celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. We got married at this resort 3 years ago. Upon arrival Barrington at the front desk upgraded us to a beautiful Oceanfront suite in building 6. He was so welcoming and got our trip off to a great start. Now, If you like to go to bed early, avoid building 6 as all the weddings and events take place on the beach directly in front of this building at night. If you are actually out an about at the shows, music bar, etc... you will never even hear any of the noise by the time you are back to your room after the show, as the events are over by 11pm latest, but if you do go to bed early this won't be the right location for you.

From the time we arrived we were treated like kings and queens! EVERYONE we came into contact with welcomed us, asked about our trip, and what they could do to help us. Our Butler easily made reservations for us at all of the restaurants at the requested times. They would book 2 days out, so make your reservations upon arrival for the next couple days.

All of the restaurants were great. Our favorites were, the Japanese where our chef had us cracking up the whole time he called himself the "blacknese chef!", Norlan in the Surf and Turf gave us great service (again!) he was our server at our romantic dinner on the beach 3 years ago as well, every single one of our servers was great and very attentive, at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Amoy made the best omelettes at the inside breakfast buffet and was great happy conversation in the mornings! The inside breakfast seemed to have more selection, but obviously it was missing the outdoors view. We did room service for breakfast as well as snacks before dinners. We would order a pizza before going out even though its not on the menu they were more than happy to make it with toppings of our choice. They no longer have the menus at lunch, but if you ask for lobster, at any time of the day anywhere, they WILL bring you how every many you want!!!

Now things got VERY VERY SPECIAL thanks to the best hotel manager we have ever had the pleasure to deal with, Angellie Thompson!!! She helped to make our wedding so amazing 3 years ago, and made our anniversary one to remember as well. She surprised us on our anniversary with another room upgrade, this time to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!! This suite is about 2,000sq ft on the top floor ocean front with panoramic views of the ocean! It was like it's own Villa inside of the resort. I will post a video on youtube, and on here if it will let me put it up. It was 2 minutes long to give a tour of this room! Just stunning. She also made our anniversary dinner very special, she met us at the gourmet restaurant where she surprised us with a private table with candles and rose petals. It was so romantic and just perfect. We got back to the room where the butler had put candles leading to our bed and bubble bath with rose petals, So amazing!!! Plus they had chocolate and champagne for us too, and we didn't even ask for any of this! Talk about giving the guests a fairy tale experience! I can't thank her enough for all of the hard work she puts into making sure that each and every person who comes to the Grand leaves with the true Grand experience. We are so beyond thankful to know such a wonderful person!

The star friends do a great job of keeping the resort lively and fun! I have never seen people with more positive energy in my life! Bubbles, Shortcake, and G Money did a great job getting everyone to loosen up and have some fun whether it be dancing, playing games, or performing at the nightly shows. They all rocked it. We loved that they had more Jamaican shows than they used to. They now do 2 Jamaican nights and a beach party night! We also went to the suites for one of their Jamaican shows as well. If you stay after the shows the bands play reggae and one of the star friends sings and he is just amazing! We love this culture and want to feel like we are in Jamaica and not just some other island, and I have to say the Grand has improved greatly on this in the last 3 years! We had beach jerk bbqs 4 out of 6 days, 2 days with reggae bands, and in the lobby bar each night they had sax players, panio players, etcc... all of which played Bob Marley among other songs. We also enjoyed hanging out with bartender Christopher in the Cigar Bar. There is a TV in there where my husband was able to watch the monday night football game as well. Ardley and Morris at the pool bar were great as well. I hate that I can't name each and every person who we interacted with, as they all made our trip a trip of lifetime!

On the day before the last day I got a massage. 3 years ago we did a couples one and to be honest it sucked. This time was SO DIFFERENT! Juliet was my masseuse and she gave me one of the best massages I have ever had! Thank you so much Juilet. She was also very kind and has a daughter the same age as mine so we talked about how much we love our girls. I just wish they let you pay in cash and tip in cash. You have to charge it to the room and pay at checkout, I really would have liked to know she got the tip!

I can't stress enough how magical this place is!! We had super high expectations as last time we were here we were the bride and groom, and felt some of our experience may have been better due to this. However, I am happy to say this trip was even better, if that's possible!!!! It was so nice to be kid free in a kid free environment...not even having to see a changing table or kids at lunch ahhhhhh so nice!! Oh and for the picky people who complained about the carpet stains in other reviews, you will be happy to know the resort now has 100% new carpet super cute tropical style bright color design carpet. It just shows how much they aim to please. Go you will be so happy you did!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: stay away from building 6 if you go to bed before 11pm as it gets noisy with activities on some nigh...
2  Thank mdcuite

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to return to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hotel. We recall that when we first opened our doors in 2009, your wedding was the first one that we planned and hosted. To this end, you remain our very special Repeat Guests. So it is of course our pleasure to share in your Anniversary memories. It was encouraging to learn that our rooms, restaurants, entertainment, spa and property in general had met your high expectations. It is rewarding to hear that our Management and Staff also contributed to making your stay even more memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate in sharing your 4th Wedding Anniversary with us.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We could not have stayed somewhere better for our honeymoon. The staff is amazingly friendly & the Star Friends are so much fun! You can do so much, or nothing at all. From the quiet pool to the party pool there is something for everyone. The food is delicious from the room service to the buffets to the restaurants. Our butler took care of all our reservations the first day we were there. Chris in the Cigar Lounge is one of the most genuine people you will ever meet. We went every night he was working & we always saw the same guests there, we all only went to see him! The night he was off we walked by it was empty! The Disco was fun for a little while but not our type of music. The room was amazing & our view from the balcony was breathtaking. We were upgraded upon our arrival to 3rd floor ocean view. The beach was beautiful & the water was warm & crystal clear. Our last night there was a thunderstorm & the next day the water & sky were the same color. Hopefully I can figure out how to post some pics! We are already planning our anniversary trip back!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doosa
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind words posted on this website. We are delighted to have been able to serve you on your honeymoon. Your positive comments regarding your room, beach, friendly staff and pool. Please come again soon as it would be our pleasure to host you on the occasion of your vacation or wedding anniversary.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I vacationed at Iberostar Grand three (3) times this year. My birthday visit was by far my best experience which I was able to share with close friends. Other than the hotel running out of Belvedere Vodka and Lays Potato Chips, it's a birthday I will never forget.

Barrington (front desk), Joainne (front desk), Stanley (butler), Basil (lifeguard), Shortcake (staff) and many others contributed to my Grand time! See you all next year!

Room Tip: The Grand speaks for itself.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank latonya1130

Dear Guest:

Thank you for continuing to choose the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your vacation “home away from home”. We are even more thrilled that you chose to spend your Birthday with us. We recognize that of the many hotels in the Caribbean that you can always choose from, the fact that you opted to return three (3) times this year, means we are meeting your personal standards and this means a lot to us. Your effort in remembering those staff’s name who made your trip extra special, also added to inspiring our hardworking team.

We apologize for not having the Belvedere Vodka and Lays Potato chips whilst you were in-house, but we will certainly have them in-stock on your next visit, as this is not the norm.

Please come again soon as we look forward to serving you on your 4th visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

First, I want to thank Barrington at front desk, Sammy, Shortcake and Brandon, our Star friends.

When we booked hotel online I asked for recommendations on limos. I got an email back from the PR desk saying use Montego Bay Limos. This was perhaps the worst vacation experience I have ever had. But since this is review of hotel and not limo, I won't bore you with those details.

Also when I booked, I had done pillow menu, mini bar, dinner reservations and aromatherapy requests. Not one thing was honored in advance and all had to be re-done after arrival. This, again, after getting email confirmations from PR or Concierge desk. So much for advance confirmations.

I will say they tried very hard to please at front desk when we arrived before a room was ready. Take that time, if you have it, to make your dinner reservations because they seem to book up fast. Even though any given night no restaurant was more than 50% full, I was told I couldn't change any of my reservations mid-week when I wanted to repeat the Gourmet restaurant.

Star friends are engaging but other than a friendly smile and a hello by name, will leave you alone if that’s more your thing. You could see they kept an eye out if they felt someone was too drunk and would interact with them to make sure they were ok and safe to walk/dance/swim.

At Yoga class, my sister finally gave up as there was so much broken glass and straight pins on the deck (presumably from tablecloths that had been pinned in place for an outdoor event) that she was afraid to put her hands down.

Our evening butler was annoying, as it seemed his hand was out every time we got off the elevator and he seemed to want credit for what housekeeping was doing (pillows and decorating our room for our birthdays). Needless to say, he never got a tip, but housekeeping and turn down service did. Our day butler we saw only when we checked in.

Service on beach and pool was good for drinks. We tipped but given there were 3-4+ of them on any given day, we didn't tip just one person heavy to keep the drinks coming but spread around the tips. When they were very busy we'd walk the few yards up to the bar ourselves, but they were more than happy to serve you as quickly as they could make the rounds.

Food was very good, not spectacular. I enjoyed the duck at the Gourmet best. The rib eye at the Surf and Turf was good and my sister had a filet that was very good. The salmon "Sashimi" at the Japanese restaurant was marinated or brined and not what I would call sashimi. Don't bother with sushi there either. The Italian restaurant was good. They let many gentlemen inside wearing worn or ragged shorts and shirts without collars in the evenings. And in Port Maria for the lunch buffet, as long as you had sandals or flip flops it seemed anything was acceptable.

They had two beach BBQ's while we were there The first was more hot dogs and hamburgers and that day Port Maria, the lunch buffet, was very underwhelming. The following day was a Jamaican BBQ and the pork, chicken and beef jerk were all outstanding. And as a caution, a little jerk sauce can go a long way.

Breakfast buffet was what you would expect. Omelets made to order, breads, cheeses, smoked salmon, cereal, pastries etc. I would have liked hot made to order waffles or pancakes.

Forget trying to get one of the house wines off the wine list. You'll get whatever red or white is open and be told that what you want isn't available. I'm not a wine snob, but a Semillon and Chardonnay are not equivalent. Even when I was trying to get a better wine, they really never tried to upsell and almost didn't want to upsell for wines you had to buy by the bottle.

We had one young bartender (in Piano Bar and at Beach Bar) who never should be allowed behind a bar. At the Piano Bar I had a mojito with I think grapefruit juice and the cosmo we ordered he asked how to make then still made it wrong (color and tase) and poured it in a rocks glass! The next day I ordered a "Bushwacker/walker" (not sure which it was exactly as one of the young ladies made it for me prior) and he said "no, only the bartender who is off today knows that drink" I protested given I had one only an hour prior and he found someone who could make it but I could tell he was annoyed with me when the other bartender who made my drink got the tip instead. The following day at beach bar I had same issues with him. Horrible drinks and/or he say "no, only so and so can make that up in Piano Bar." I always had to get a different bartender, and a mojito, daquiri and cosmo are rather classic drinks that a resort bartender should know by heart. They do seem to run out of mint daily for mojitos.

Weather was less than spectacular, but the Star friends tried to keep everyone happy even on the cloudy days. They seem to work 14-15 hour shifts and whatever they are paid, they earn it! There are a variety of shows in evening that cater to many tastes.

I enjoyed a glass of port a few evenings in the Cigar Bar. I did also enjoy a cigar there which was reasonably priced. I only wish the cigar menu had some description even as simple as ring size and wrapper. One evening before I knew it my port glass was refilled and I'm not one who drinks two glasses of port in a sitting.

What I did notice this versus Excellence chain AIs was that the peripherial staff was not engaging. Getting a smile or hello from landscapers or painters was slow or difficult. They may be trained to be "background" and not engage, but when I say hello or good morning, I expect a look in the eye with a return salutation. Also of all the folks we talked too, only one did not seemed thrilled to work at Iberostar Grand. He loved his native Jamaica, but for a waiter to say "it’s an ok job" after a dozen others said they loved their jobs, I wondered wat the difference was between working various areas of the hotel.

The room was lovely and well laid out (6414) and had a nice oceanfront view.

So maybe its 5 stars and my memory for past AIs to compare is rough around the edges. We had fun and would return, so it’s definitely 4 star minimum. Food and drink were plentiful (drinks could get you in trouble easily as I saw no short pours!).

One final and amusing comment…keep your beach bag closed. We saw plenty of sand crabs and hermit crabs walking about and one walked up my canvas bag and was perched right next to my closed zipper when I returned from a swim.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wanting2wander

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We appreciated the feedback on our service, amenities and staff. It was disappointing to learn that we had not quite measured up to your expectations.
You concerns were also duly noted as follows:

1. You have mentioned inconsistent service and a difficulty in getting your requests carried out with our Public Relations Department, which we will certainly be discussing with them.
2. We would have loved to be able to work at ensuring your concerns were attended to before you left. Namely, when glass and pins were observed on the ground pointing it out to the Yoga Instructor, would have ensured it was dealt with right away. After all, safety of our guests is a priority of ours, as demonstrated when we look out for guests who are overly intoxicated.
3. You mentioned a Butler who was annoying and bothersome, but unfortunately you did not communicate this to us whilst you were in house so we could have asked him not to check on you. Please be assured though, our Butlers do genuinely check on guests to see if particular amenities/ services was done to their liking, and if there is anything else they can do for the guests. We apologize if it came across as soliciting for tips.
4. You mentioned that your Mixed Drinks were not made to your liking and the unavailability of the usual house wines. Please accept our apology and we will be passing on your comments and discussing same with the Maitre’D.
5. Our A la carte restaurants cater to a specific number of persons each day, which may not necessarily eat at the same time. We do have different seating times. There is a dinner reservations system that is limited to that particular number of guests, that the Kitchen can efficiently cater for. If persons cancel that we can add additional persons, but if there are no cancellations, then the Host/Hostess or Maitre’D might find it challenging make last minute additions even though they always try to assist.

Whilst it was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you, it was sad for us to not have had the chance to sit and discuss your concerns with you, in order to ensure you left satisfied. We hope that you will grant us yet another chance to serve you as we would welcome the prospect of showing you our usual high levels of service.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just returned on Monday night from an extended weekend stay at the Grand. First of all, I am NOT a review type person. I typically just tell my friends and fam how great it is - this resort knocked me off my feet and I wouldn't feel right not giving them credit.

Where to start???

The drinks - the ONLY disappointment from my entire trip. I didn't find the alcohol beverages to be that great. They were very watered down and no matter how many drinks I had (which I'm a lightweight) I didn't even feel a buzz. The saving grace is, in the theatre where they do the nightly shows, they serve top shelf liquor. I've had better drinks at other all inclusives I've been to.

Food - TRULY OUTSTANDING. We ate at the surf and turf restaurant the first night. We wanted to try the hibachi but they were already booked. Make a reservation. The hibachi was soo good that we ate their the next two nights in a row.

Staff - Very friendly and our butler was great.

Spa - Best massage ever.

Entertainment - Very good. The female lead came in 3rd in the Jamaican version of American Idol. Voice is outstanding.

Club - A little boring (the music they play is like from the 90s), but they have staff in there to get the party going. Once everyone is on the dance floor and having fun, they leave.

Beach - Ok, one more slight disappointment. Their strip of beach is VERY small and there are pretty much no motor water activities allowed. We did do a banana boat, but after about 10 minutes of that you're pretty much over it. We were told to stay in Negril next time if we want to do Jet Skis or anything else.

Everything about this place was great. As far as off resort places:

Scotchies - We were told to go here if we wanted real jerk chicken. The resort jerk was better so don't bother and they didn't have any sides basically.

Tropical Treasures - GO HERE FOR YOUR SOUVENIRS! Sam is the owner and he is amazing. He gave us 40% off everything we bought and let us use his cellphone to call home for FREE. He also told us we could charge everything back to our room since we were staying at Iberostar (I have no idea how he does this), but we paid in cash. The absolute nicest and happiest man.

Chukka Zipline - Absolutely terrifying, but worth the money. The staff is very good at what they do and they make you feel very safe. 10 zips (including 2 surprise ones) with great views and they take lots of pictures for you (that you have to buy of course). Definitely do this one, even if someone else tries to tell you to do go to a different one. They offer ATV's but at a different location. Side note - make sure you have your paper confirmation with you. I paid over the phone and didn't have one and it was a little bit of trouble when they came to pick us up.

I think that's everything :)

1  Thank Dominique R
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. Your special commendation of our food, staff, spa, entertainment, beach and our service in general was definitely inspiring to our team.

It was disappointing to hear that the alcoholic beverages did not meet your usual tastes. However, it was some comfort to know that the beverages offered inside the theatre were more satisfactory. We would have liked to hear from you whilst you were in house to have been able to stock your mini-bar room according to your preference.

We feel privileged to have been able to have served you. We remain hopeful that you will be returning in the near future as it would be our intention to exceed your expectations even further.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just came back from iberostar Grand rose hall and Oh My God....it was amazing. The service was good...thanks to our 2 butler ( room 5213) we did not use them much as we are not used to that kind of service but everytime we would see them...we had a good laugh! The rooms were very beautiful, clean and comfortable. Loved the balcony ! The buffets were small but with alot of choices and very delicious....no complaints what so ever...staff is very efficient to clean our plates and filling up our glasses. Lunch buffet is beautiful right in front of the ocean. Lobby is very elegant! pools are big and clean. A little cold at first..we were there in november so...no big deal, especially when it's 32 out ! Brandon aka Bubbles from the entertainement staff was very friendly and funny. Took the time to talk to use and learn a little bit about us. Thank you for making our time that much fun! You have access to the other Iberostar, which was great! We are a young couple who went there to relax, but have fun at the same time. Disco at the suites was cool...karaoke bar as well...tried the lazy river only once...but it's a nice asset. Went to the iberostar beach swim-up bar most of the afternoons because the barmans are just awesome! A big thank you to Andrew and Rayon for being funny and nice and very efficient! The beach was very nice...We miss it already! Would go back in a minute...thanks to all the people that made this vacation time so special for my husband and I....I recommand this hotel hands on!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank Dominique S
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. It was our pleasure to have had the privilege to serve you. We are quite ecstatic to learn that our rooms, buffet, staff, disco, bars and pools had met your standards. It was even more encouraging to see that you had taken the time to interact with the staff and that they had left a positive impression on you. We are all too aware of the important role our staff play in meeting our guests’ needs on a daily basis, but no doubt, comments like yours are even more poignant reminders.

We invite you to come again soon, and would even ask that you think of the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your vacation “home away from home”.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!