“They did it again!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wales, UK
“They did it again!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have just returned from our fourth stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We were in the Hotel when Hurricane Sandy hit and although this must have caused a great deal of extra work for the management team, as guests, the impact on us was negligible and apart from the obvious fact that we had to stay indoors, there appeared to be no change to the professional manner in which services continued to be provided throughout this period. It was notable that the following day, by about 8.00 a.m. thanks to the hard, hands-on work of all staff, including managers, there was no evidence that there had even been a hurricane and the day proceeded as normal.
We spoke to other travellers at the airport on the way home, who had stayed at different hotels, and their experience of the hurricane was grim. Well done to all staff and managers at the Iberostar Grand, looking forward to coming again next year.

6 Thank w3lshbyrd
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. Your return visit means a lot to us, so the fact that you were spending your 4th vacation with us was definitely inspiring to our team.

We are grateful to hear that you had an enjoyable stay despite the challenges of the storm. Our emphasis during the challenging weather was on providing a relaxing and safe environment for our guests. So your positive recommendation of our Management and staff’s tireless efforts was greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you again soon and look forward in offering you an even more enjoyable stay on your 5th visit.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,964)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nice place, the staff is nice and smiling. Very good food ! The lobster is excellent, the beef fillet also. The room is spacious and clean. The butler service is just so great !
You have to try this hotel at least once in your life !

4 Thank 278Julie
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your warm review. Your recommendation of our staff, cuisine, rooms and butler service was also duly noted. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure the total satisfaction of our guests, so your positive comments were very encouraging. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Rochester NY
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband & I just got back from an amazing 2 week stay at the Iberostar Grand (10/25/12 - 11/8/12). We arrived a day after Hurricane Sandy hit Jamaica although the hotel was not really affected rather the city of Kingston, which was very sad to hear of the very bad damage they sustained :( :( It just made us appreciate our fortunate experience that much more. I will give my 100% honest and accurate review of the resort (my opinions of course) but I feel they are pretty spot on, so:

Check-In: easy and great. The ride to the resort from the airport is about 20 minutes so that was great. I might suggest looking into a private transport rather than waiting around for everyone who's supposed to be on your shuttle from the airport to the resort as sometimes the wait can be a little longer than you may want and you may have to stop at multiple resorts before getting to yours. Upon arrival, same as everyone else said, welcome drink, cold towel, etc. The front desk staff are great and if they are able, they will accomodate upgrade requests upon arrival. The lobby is completely stunning in architecture design.

Room: we were fortunate to have been upgraded from an oceanview jr. suite to an oceanfront suite. We had a room on the 4th floor or room #6418. All I can say is that the room was amazing and had everything you could want...very beautiful! You won't be disappointed.

Butler Service: we had the most awesome butler during our entire stay at the resort. His name was Raynard Frater. Raynard had a wonderful personality and really made our stay that much more great. Any special requests my husband or I had he would always make happen. Never was he overbearing, just always around when we needed him. If you have the luck of being on the fourth floor like we were, you will have the pleasure of meeting him - great guy who does his job really well!!!!

Food: ALL AMAZING. This resort really excels in this department over others we have stayed throughout Jamaica & Dominican Republic. This resort really had it down not only at the buffet but at all 4 a la cartes (Japanese, Italian, Gourmet & Surf & Turf). We dined at all of the restaurants including the buffet and I can't say I had one bad meal...everything was delicious. Actually the only thing not so great and it was really kind of comical at how bad it was, was the welcome appetizer at the Italian restaurant...I might suggest either tweaking it for better taste or getting rid of it all together. Lobster and jerk chicken were among our favorites throughout our stay!

Alcohol: The inclusive wines weren't bad...but our favorite which was really good was a red pinotage called Two Oceans...check it out. The lobby bar & cigar bar had the top shelf alcohol (name brands). The pool bar was fine...usually got a margarita or tequila and lime juice or a dirty banana....anyhow, all drinks were great so you shouldn't have any issues here. Also, we had the pleasure of meeting a guy named Morris-Day whose job was to offer guests (if they so desired) a wine menu featuring higher class wines that were not part of the all inclusive package (meaning you could purchase a finer bottle of wine for perhaps an extra special occasion...) We bought a couple of bottles from him. Morris was super friendly and funny and definitely made our stay that much better!!! Check him out :)

Pools - there are 3 of them and all are very nice. The zero edge or no reveal (not sure of the correct term) pool was so beautiful which was the one with the pool bar. When at the pool area we spent most of our time in the middle pool where the volleyball net was - awesome and a lot of fun!!! The pool area had a ton of chairs/beds although a bunch were in shaded areas which is not our style but we found that we ended up waking up early every day so we'd just go down and throw a towel on the bed we wanted to reserve in the sun and had no problem. To the bartenders at the pool bar - great job! A special shout out to O-neil at the pool bar - great service and awesome personality! Also Dwayne & Jerry did a great job.

Beach - beautiful! I guess if I could think of only one thing that would have made this resort just a tiny bit better it would have been to have a longer stretch of beach. The beach was beautiful don't get me wrong but because it was more a private beach with only the Grand and it's two sister resorts on it, it wasn't as long as some of the other properties we have been at. Again not a big deal, it just meant we couldn't walk for miles in either direction ;) The water was beautiful and a great temperature with very clear water. A few pebbles but nothing worth mentioning as a deterrant. Not really any small seashells but the day after the hurricane, there was a guy who found about 8 huge shells right at the shorelilne and he gave us one to take home! I almost forgot, they do have drink service or staff walking the beach to make sure you have any drinks you may want. A very special thank you to a wonderful girl named Kanesha who truly made our experience wonderful. She took drink orders on the beach and was just such an awesome person...very genuine. The beach chairs would have been nicer if they all had cushions on them and unfortunately there were only about 5 beach beds but again same as the pool...we made sure to put a towel on one of the 5 beach beds early so we were always comfortable :)

Entertainment - let me first start by saying that the resort has a group of people called the Star Friends whose job is to try and drum up different activities throughout the day for the guests to participate in to break up the monotony of drinking, beach and pooltime (of course I am joking...I could do that all day long!!! ;) Anyhow, I give these guys so much credit as they have A LOT of talent (especially in the dancing department...they are fantastic!!) They work very long hours: from 10am to about 5, they try to get guests involved in activities (they are by no means overbearing though just extremely friendly and if you're interested great if not no big deal). Then they work the nightly entertainment shows so I think all in all they work about 12 hour days with a 2 hour break each day and one day off per week....that's a lot of hours!!! I'd specifically like to mention the following Star Friends as having the most impact on our particular stay: Short Cake, Sammy, Bubbles, Ki-Ki, Brandon, Andre, Lady Stingray & Diva. Regarding the nightly shows, they do not start until 10 pm so for me I was a little bummed as I guess I'm a 31 year old grandma as I could never seem to stay up too late...we did catch 3 of the shows Disco, Big Band & Reggae night. All in all, the shows are pretty darn good. They also featured some very talented singers and dancers. My favorite entertainment of the trip was the Beach Party that they held either on a Wednesday or Thursday that featured some very impressive acts!!!!! A must see if visiting this hotel! They also had a variety of games/activities and a beautiful beach dinner. Well done to everyone!! Oh yeah, also in the lobby bar (nightly around 8:30pm) they had some very talented musicians, most notable the flute player!!!!!! (and a pianist, sax player, violinist, etc.). Quick shout out to a wonderful lobby bar hostess: Racquel - she was awesome!!!!!!!!!! and a great lobby bartender - O'Neil.

Shops - we went into town once and checked out the Montego Bay hip strip. I really wish someone could give some friendly advice to the locals trying to sell there products as they are just way too aggressive to get you into their stores. I am confident there sales would skyrocket if they just backed off people genuinely already interested in shopping. I believe they just feel that they have to be aggressive in order to get a sale which is very sad as in fact they are deterring people from even wanting to venture into town to shop as they do not want to feel pressured. That being said, I did purchase some nice items (most notably some amazing wooden sculptures which is in my opinion the best thing the Jamaicans have to offer, in addition to some nice baskets, handbags, spices, etc.). You of course should bargain as they will always start high but you can most times get the price down. My only other thought is that some of the stuff they claim to be authentically Jamaican does not seem to be (for ex., one of the handbags I bought, which was a beautiful coconut shell bag, had a made in Jamaica tag strapped to it but when I looked inside the bag, it said made in Indonesia...it was beautiful nonetheless so I bought it anyhow :)

GYM - surprisingly, my husband & I made it to the gym almost every single day of our 2 week stay. In fact we opened it up every day. We were slightly bummed that it didn't open at 6am instead of the daily 7am but it is what it is. It is VERY humid in the fitness center but hey it made us feel like we were working that much harder when we were dripping sweat every time we left ;) The center had 3 ellipticals, 4 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 steppers and an assortment of weights/other strength training equipment. It met our needs but we did on occasion find the center packed with people with some who left because they didn't want to wait.

Wi-Fi - only available in the lobby and you have to acquire a password from the lobby desk to access. We wished it would have been available in the rooms but again not really a big deal.

Weather: Out of our 2 week stay, we had about 3 days that were straight rain but only starting in the afternoon around 1pm (ish) and those days were more in our first week closer to the end of the hurricane. Our second week was perfect - straight sun. Temps for the stay were anywhere from low to high 80's I would say...awesome :)

Spa - very nice with an assortment of hot tubs/pools to enjoy before your service. My husband got a massage everyday whereas I enjoyed 2. If interested in someone who is strong and knows what they are doing (not saying they all don't but I had the pleasure of having one great girl give me a massage) and her name was Tracey.

Think that's it....any questions, feel free to contact me at fjr@rochester.rr.com! (Teresa)

3 Thank Viggianis
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your check-in, room, butler service, food, beverages, pools, beach and entertainment had all met your expectations. It was also an added bonus for us to hear that you also enjoyed the services of our well-equipped gym and our luxurious spa during your stay.

Iberostar chain continues to design first-class services and amenities with you, our special guests, in mind. So when we receive positive feedback, it serves as reward, especially to our staff who work tirelessly at ensuring your overall satisfaction.

We look forward to having the opportunity to serving you again and trust that you will not hesitate to make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall your vacation “home away from home”.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stay at the Grand in May. We had been to Jamaica the previous month with the kids, made some great friends and went back a month later for an adult weekend. We Chose The Grand over some of the other AO because of the adjoining resorts. As a guest if the Grand we were able to go anywhere in the entire complex. Everything was wonderful. Our butler was attentive but no intrusive and saw to all of our dining reservations and making sure the mimi bar in our room had just what WE wanted. We had an Ocean front corner room on the top floor and the balcony was wonderful. The staff was gracias and attentive. I read prior to arrival that the security guards at the enterances to the AO/Grand part of the complex weren't very nice. We did not encounter this at all. We witnessed many people speaking with them about getting tours and access if they were staying in another part if the complex. I completely felt they were there to keep children from entering the AO section, not from keeping those who didn't pay more to stay on the Grand portion. Actually the price is not that much different from what we saw when booking. For my husband and I, parents of 4 children, just being in a child free setting was perfect. I would 100% recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Montego Bay. We are looking forward to returning with the kids and stay in the other part of the complex.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Jill R
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We feel privileged to have been able to host you recently. We appreciate your special mention of our butler service, staff and property in general. Your positive reception highlighting some of the functions of the security guards at the entrances to the AO/Grand part was also noted. We hoped that you will be returning soon as we would be honored to have the chance to serve you again.

Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

went there for my honeymoon!! all i have to say is OMG!!! the place is beautiful and everyone is so nice and gets you everything you want with a smile! and the best drink to get it a jamaican smile! delish!!!!! me and my husband wants to go back next year with our friends! the japanese restraunt in the hotel is better then any one on long island!!! we went there twice! if you are thinking about going GO! its worth all the $!!!!! <3

1 Thank Cindy D
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for allowing us to host you for your honeymoon. We are always honored to be able to contribute to the happy memories of our honeymooners. However, we were especially thrilled to have been able to exceed your expectations. Your positive review regarding our property in general, beverages, cuisine and value for money are also very encouraging to our staff. We invite you to come again soon as we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spent 5 days at the Grand and overall had a wonderful time. We arrived a little early so check in was delayed as our room was not ready, but we have learned over the years to pack a bathing suit in a carry on so we hit the buffet and got some pool time. We checked back after a couple of hours and one room was ready but our friends had to wait even past the stated check-in time. It was worth it. The room and entire resort were immaculate. Lots of room and nicely decorated. Mini bar was disappointing but the butler said he was willing to get anything we needed (if/when we could find him - more later). The room was very nice and we spent the extra dollar for oceanfront with no regrets.

Buffets were very high quality, especially the lunch at Maria's. Oceanfront seating and beautiful views. Room service for breakfast was outstanding. Restaurants were quite good, especially the Italian and Gourmet (French). Don't bother with the Japanese steak house style - loud and only average food. The service at the Italian restaurant was exceptional. Sorry but I cannot recall the waiter's name!

The beach is very nice, but limited to the front of the Iberostar resorts. Probably a half-mile of walking distance though, so not a bad stroll. Use of watercraft was complimentary, and equipment was in good shape.

The bartenders were excellent. Slip them a couple of dollars and you will make a very good friend who takes care of you. We particularly enjoyed conversations with Dwayne at the pool bar.
The staff try to engage you in activities, but they do not over-pressure and generally are fun. We chose to spend a mix at the pool and on the beach to have active vss. quiet time.

Our only minor issues were the time housekeeping would come to the room (one day didn't get to our room until late in the day - around 5 PM) and the re-stocking of the mini-bar, which never happened. We dont drink heavily and called once for a little more wine and some diet coke which was delivered by room service. There was not a single day when the staff reviewed and re-stocked so we just gave up. For example, the room initially had many different glasses (wine glasses, brandy, etc.), but these were never replenished and we would up using the glasses in the bathroom.

Our butlers were friendly and generally helpful (Darwin and Randy) but disappeared on the weekend. They probably had responsibility for the mini-bar. They did make reservations for us at the restaurants and printed off our boarding passes, but not much beyond that. Tried to locate them several times for items and questions but couldn't track them down. Called the concierge and they got taken care of so not really an issue.

Overall a fine experience but the minor issues prevented this from being a slam dunk 5-star rating. I would say by all means go to this resort, but keep in mind that the level of service may be spotty.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on the ocean front room! Quiet and beautiful.