“The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (& vs the Beach & Suites).”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, B.C.
“The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (& vs the Beach & Suites).”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (and the Grand vs the Beach / Suites).

Grand Rose Hall Dec 16 to 23, 2011 - 4th floor room 5412 arrived Dec. 16 evening and checkout Noon on Dec. 23 (7 nights).

(I had stayed at the Rose Hall Beach Hotel, room 1312 - Jan 5 to 12, 2011)

I meant to write this review earlier, but just had too much I wanted to write, so this is a condensed version!

We loved the experience while a guest at the Grand of being able to visit & enjoy the amenities of all 3 hotels (Beach, Suites and Grand), and being able to come "home" to "adults only" at the Grand. Although, some of the "adults" on the Grand beach with boomboxes and "Jersey Shore" noise & attitude during our time there seemed out of place. I guess they were of the age to be there and that is what counts...

We felt the night entertainment was best seen at the Suites (best theatre and best crowd). But we found the 10 p.m. entertainment (at all theatres) to be too late for us (especially for early morning excursions the next day).

The best pool(s) were at the Grand. But, the activities and day entertainment were lacking at the Grand.

The free wired internet in the rooms at the Grand was a nice touch.

We found we actually preferred the selection, atmosphere/location, and food available at the Beach hotel buffet (larger buffet and with pasta, Chinese, and Jamaican stations all the time).
The Beach buffet also allowed you to serve your own soft drinks, tea, espresso, etc. rather than wait & perhaps never even receive these items at the Grand buffet.

We loved the black out curtains in our room in the Grand... BUT... we were startled awake every morning starting around 7 a.m. in the Grand with the sounds of amazingly LOUD scraping furniture noises from guests and housekeeping. We couldn't figure out at first what the noise was coming from. There was no way to sleep much past 8 a.m. So much for being well-rested on vacation (we are from the West Coast so 7 a.m. = 4 a.m. back home). Every time we hear scraping furniture now, we immediately cringe thinking back of our continually interrupted sleeps at the Grand! The Grand should invest in some felt pieces to stick on the bottoms of the legs of the furniture?

Chairs: we didn't care about sitting by the pool, but couldn't even find chairs on the beach at the Grand without going towards or on the Suites property.

Beach barbecues at the Grand: watch for the raw chicken & burgers! Be very thorough in checking that your food is cooked enough.

At the Grand: there was only 1 elevator (& long waits) until the last 2 days of our stay. We prefer taking stairs, but the stairs were far away and we had trouble even finding them.

The butlers were of not much help to us and for any of our needs we ended up going to the concierge.

Spa leak: in the roundabout between the Suites & Grand there was a very scary looking flaw/leak on the ceiling and water was leaking in to the stores.

Also, during the occasional rainfall we had, in the Grand hotel water was leaking in to the hallways (where there were hallway windows) and even inside by the elevator.

Since the hotel was less than two years old, we wondered about major structural problems in the future at the Grand?

We had several somewhat minor issues with our room at the Grand: our patio door lock was busted & could easily be pulled open from the outside when "locked", the drains were slow to empty, the toilet had issues and needed a new flapper, the DVD player did not work, the swing chair on our balcony faced the wall, and the lights in our room would all go out PITCH BLACK after a couple minutes when I was in the shower or sitting at the desk using the laptop & my spouse had gone out leaving me alone in the room briefly. I was really freaked out the 1st time it happened when I was in the shower! I couldn't see a thing. I opened the door, walked out soaking wet, and the lights turned back on. Some sort of motion control lighting system gone wacky?

Our room was on the 4th floor but it had an overhang, so no worries about water soaking our balcony (a problem with some 4th floor rooms?).

All in all, we preferred the "adults only" Grand as the hotel of choice overall, but preferred the Beach and Suites for the food and entertainment.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Triever
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your recent vacation destination. We appreciate that you have stated what you found to be exceptional, namely our, pool, free internet in rooms, and the Adults only concept offered by the Grand.

Your comments have been noted and we will certainly be looking into those aspects of our service that did not quite meet your expectations, namely:
- We observe that you were with us during peak season, December 16 – 23, 2011, and this would have contributed significantly to a longer wait in the Buffet for service. We apologize for this inconvenience and we assure you that we will be looking into ways to improve this situation in the future.
- We recognize there was an issue with parts of the Spa Ceiling which are presently corrected.
- The Nightly Entertainment has been starting at that time to accommodate persons who are leaving dinner, and primarily because the Buffet closes at 10:00 p.m. You mention a lack of activities at the Grand, yet our Entertainment Staff is on hand daily with various activities and at your disposal should you need information or have special activity requests.
- Your room allows you easy access to two (2) elevators which were in fact both working during December, so we are not certain what would have caused the wait, except perhaps heavy guest se.
- We deeply regret the issues and noises that you heard from your room and are sorry that you had not reported these problems whilst in-house, so we could have had the opportunity to correct the situation e.g. by offering you a room change. Please be assured that the experience you describe is not typical of our property, and certainly not in keeping with our commitment to quality guest service.
Despite those issues, we are hopeful that you will think of us when planning your next vacation. We would be happy to host you again in order to show you our usual impeccable service and luxurious accommodations.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,998)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Having been to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro in Punta Cana last year, the bar was raised with high expectations for this hotel. Our initial attitude was that this hotel did not measure up. However, we quickly decided to let the hositility go and be open to our new experience in Jamaica. We found the rooms to be quite large. This included two closets, multiple shelving areas and a large double-sink bathroom. A special treat was discovering the hanging love seat on the balcony - unique for a hotel. Having flown all night and into the afternoon, I was in need of some sleep. Having a choice of pillow options assured me of the perfect pillow to rest my weary head - and boy did I! I have never seen darkening drapes that totally block the sun. When I woke up at 11am the next day, I thought it was still pre-dawn.

The meals at all of the restaurants were multi-course fine dining at its best. I can't say that any restaurant was better than another, however the "gourmet" french restaurant appeared to be booked clearly in advance with few openings should one schedule their dinner reservations at that last minute. We booked all of our dinner reservations in advance of our trip so that we didn't have to spend our first day tasked to do so.

The weather was pleasant and cloudy at times, however the sun is still intense. For those that travel with carry-on baggage only, keep in mind that suntan lotion of all SPF levels is provided free at the towel stand. I did not see any shortage of available lounge chairs, however a recommendation for the hotel would be to have a towel drop off point so that individuals can clearly exit a chair and make it available for others

This hotel is clearly luxurious and quiet for the most part - which is why it is branded "grand" and for adults only. However for adults that seek loud music and crazy antics, the hotel next door provides this. The good thing is that you can leave it behind and go back to your peace and tranquility afterward.

The Jamaican people are very friendly, however, they are usually reserved until someone strikes up a conversation with them. They are very open about their culture, lifestyle and philosophy about life. Getting to know them is the true Jamaican experience. The employees of special note were Dwight, Barrington, Fitzroy, Clive, Camille, Juliet, Tinkerbell, Angela, and the best butler, Wheeler, who was always willing to please. I will go back for sure. Unfortunately I can't get back on the plane tonight...

Room Tip: Building 5 is a good choice now, however building 6 is getting renovated in the month of March so bo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ThrillSeekerNow
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your generous review with other travelers. A special thanks also for listing our Pillow menu, A la Carte Restaurants, tranquil environment and friendly staff as the highlights of your trip. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us, especially by noting the names of specific staff members who enhanced your visit. The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall takes great pride in offering personalized service in a luxurious and hassle-free environment. We are further encouraged by comments such as yours, that go a far in motivating our Staff and Management Team alike. We look forward to hosting you again for yet another pampered getaway.

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Feb 24 thru march 3rd was our 3rd time to Jamaica but our 2nd visit to the Grand due to my request at the front desk of the Suites upon arrival. My husband and I are already looking for flights in October to return. We can not say enough about the staff the beautiful grounds the food and the nighlty entertainment. We have been to Iberostar properties 9 times and will be returning at least once a year in the future along with family members. The star friends are by far the highlight to the fun to be had by all no matter which Iberostar you choose to stay at and we beleive they are really sad to see any of their new friends leave. A shout out to a wonderfull couple we met named Carol and Mike unfortunately Samantha lost their e-mail address and if you two happen to read this e-mail please drop Renae & Bob an e-mail at buttonsrd@townisp.com. All of the positive reviews about this resort are true and any negative ones may be from picky travelers. Enjoy

Room Tip: All the rooms have views and who spends time in there when you have such a beautiful resort to enjoy...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest:

We are honored to have served you for a second time at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. Your return visit means a lot to us, since it assures us that we have been consistently meeting your discerning standards. Hearing that you continue to enjoy all trips to our sister-properties is also an added bonus.

We appreciate your special mention of our property, food, nightly entertainment, Star Friends and staff in general. It is our goal to create positive vacation memories and to ensure you have a hassle-free stay. Seeing your kind review makes us feel that we are indeed meeting those goals. We recognize that it is only through quality service that we can be assured that you will return to stay with us. On that note, please be assured that we would be happy to host you again and hope you will not hesitate to think of us as your “Jamaican Home”.

richboro
Reviewed March 5, 2012

this Resort was excellent. I have no complaints at all. The service was great. food was good but more IMPORTANTLY the People were AWESOME... some of them are as follows: Syrecka Tucker, Tinkerbell,Candy,Davia,Samantha,Shantelle and Jodi-ann....I could go on as their were many others. bottom line _ Great Resort...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtcino
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your glowing words of our resort. We consider our guests to be our very first priority. To this end, we have created world class dining, top-shelf beverages, superb amenities, luxurious rooms and the most talented and committed staff to serve you.

We feel proud that you noticed and appreciated our efforts, and this makes us even more committed to exceeding your expectations in the future. It is hoped that you will be thinking of us as “Your Home Away from Home”.

Toronto
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Have stayed at the Grand several times and as always it was top notch from the staff,food,rooms, beach and the best service.The moment you arrive you are treated like family and welcomed with open arms.Went to Mexico the following week for a family surprise birthday and stayed at a 5 star resort however it never came close to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall.
Jamaica is always our first choice for an island vacation (great golf) and if we ever did have to go to Mexico in the future I would only stay at the Iberostar there as well.After many vacations over the years at different islands and resorts no other resorts compare to the Iberostar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TorontoWildman
Dear Guest:

Thank you for endorsing our property on this website. Your kind words concerning our staff, food, rooms, beach and service are greatly appreciated.

Since you enjoy golfing, you will no doubt be aware that amongst the special features of our Jamaican property is the option to play golf on the stunning 18-hole championship course, Cinnamon Hill with its’ 200 acres of natural lush scenery.

We are grateful that despite several other resort options around the world you continue to make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall your destination of choice.

Though we would be honored to host you again in the near future, please be assured that should you opt instead, to visit one of our sister-properties, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

My appreciation of the exemplary service I received during my recent stay at the Iberostar Grand JA cannot be overstated. I spent my bday in Ja and had a wonderful time. Every staff member I met was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable.

Personalized service began once you walked through the door. If you
want to feel like an international star this is the place to stay. I have stayed at other all inclusive hotel in JA but none such as this. One person that stands out is Kevin. I was greeted so friendly he was extremely professional ( I say this because we were close in age) yet courteous. When I discovered that my cell phone was giving problems he was able to assist me which was a true life saver.

As for the dinning the food is exquisite even the buffett. I loved the international themes at each resturant. The decor at each was beautiful. Looking to explore new island drinks non alcoholic I was uncertain as to which drink to try but Annette came to my rescue. After telling her my likes and dislikes she was able to suggest something delicious fruity but not too sweet. It was great.

On to the entertainment - I'm not a big show type based on the last shows at other hotels, but I was encouraged by Ryan on of the entertainment staff to attend the show highlighting the history of Ja. He was so right the costumes and show were a pleasant surprise having stayed at other all inclusive on the island this show and entertainment staff here have the others beat. He also shared several interesting facts about the island. One of the singers in the show sounded just like Bob Marley great treat. (Big Bob Marley fan here)

Last but not least the feature I was most looking forward to was the butler service. All of them I encountered were great but one that stood out the most was Stanley. Again similar in age he was extremely professional and courteous. He made sure that I truly received the star treatment especially for my birthday. Spending my birthday week in Ja allowed me to truly relax and destress. Overall I had a wonderful time. The bathroom was perfect. The spa service was good( I had a massage ). I also enjoyed the bonus feature of access to the other two iberostar hotels.

Thanks to all the staff for the top notch service. I will be certain to return and also recommend The Iberostar Grand JA to my friends.

• Stayed January 2012
7 Thank southernbellenyli
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. Your experience highlights just how important your personal satisfaction is to us. At the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall we believe in treating our special guests as persons with unique tastes and expectations. We thank you for your feedback concerning the staff, food, dining options, entertainment and Spa Services. We thank you for your endorsement of our property. It is hoped that you will return soon, as we would be honored to host you for another fabulous Birthday experience.

Best regards,
Northport, New York, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Just returned last week. This was our delayed Honeymoon from an October 11 wedding due to our work schedules. Anyway, overall the place was fantastic. Here are a couple of bulleted observations:

-You better be up by 7:00 if you want prime beach/pool loungers as people save them. Honestly, unless there is a personal item on it with the towel, go ahead and take it. Hey, I paid just as much for the trip and I am present to enjoy the chair. I hated to see people reserve blocks of chairs just in case and never even show up...

-Food was excellent. Make reservations as soon as you get there. We went right to the concierge to book and was told that our arrival night was completely full so we were buffet bound. WTF?! I complained and we got into the Japanese place. Crazy thing is that the restaurants are empty when you actually go there. ??? The full booking must have to do w/ server capacity or something. Surf & Turf was best. Italian worst. Japanese OK. We didn't do gourmet.

-Spa was just OK simply due to the spa facility. We did messages and the staff was great but the atmosphere of a relaxing spa could have been upgraded. Seemed like a fancy locker room.

-I was amazed at how friendly the staff was. Actually not just the staff, the entire populace. It seems Jamaican people are a very friendly bunch.

-Since it was adults, it was a very relaxing experiencing. No loud thumping music during the day. The main pool bar can get a little rowdy if the bartender gets the crowd riled up but this is not the place to party hard all day. Night time is different since you can do to the shared disco.

My only complaint was that we made special arrangements when we booked the trip to have a romantic post dinner experience in the room just like the picture; rose petals, bubble bath, champagne, etc. When we checked in, the counter person confirmed the request for Friday eve @ 9:30. Great! Friday came and we planned our day around this event. Well we cut dinner short, get to the room and.....nothing. Ugh! I complain to concierge that this was confirmed and they apologized, didn't understand how it happened blah blah. OK, arrangements were made for Saturday night since we were leaving Sunday morning. Next day we again cut dinner short get to the room and.....nothing. We were really upset since this marred an otherwise flawless trip/experience. The problem was when I mentioned this happened a second time, nobody seemed to care! It really was surprising.

Other than that MAJOR hiccup, it was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone. We will go back with the kids and stay at the Suites.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brian W
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear Guest:

We would like to extend our sincere regret that your honeymoon trip to the Grand was below par. You highlighted certain issues that we would like to comment on:

- We want to assure you that we recognize there is problem caused by persons who unfairly hold beach chairs, but do not return. To this end, our Pool concierges have been instructed to remove items placed on chairs, to make them available to other guests who are in immediate need of the chairs.

- Unfortunately, guests also book the Restaurants and may run late or cancel; It should also be noted that the Kitchen has a limited capacity and also plans according to the reservations made at the A la carte restaurants, while the restaurant can complete be set in order to be prepared to sit the next guests without having to wait until the previous guests are through with their meal.
- We apologize wholeheartedly for the misunderstanding with your request for Bubble Bath, Champagne etc. Whilst there is no excuse for this oversight we express our humble apologies, especially since this is not reflective of the usual professionalism of our Butlers.

Despite those negative issues we are grateful that you were able to appreciate other aspects of your trip namely, the Food, relaxing atmosphere and satisfactory Spa massages. We apologize for the inconveniences and hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again and show you our usual warm welcome and efficient service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!