“Second Time even better!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 28, 2012

From reception to breakfast, dinner, our butler, the star friends and finally the highlight --bubble bath with champagne everything was absolutely perfect. Randy our butler exceeded our expectations and Darwin our day butler would find us on the beach to ensure we were happy with everything. Lukky remains our favourite star friend and as someone who enjoys fitness the aerobics in the ocean was quite a challenging work out thanks to him! Deanna Sgro
We enjoyed a fantastic couples weekend and highly recommend this fabulous resort!

1  Thank Deanna12
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for continuing to give your preference to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. Your recommendation of our property means a lot to us, especially since you were with us just about a year ago. It therefore means that we continue to uphold the services and attention to detail that we know you appreciate.

We appreciate that you also made special mention of those staff who made your vacation even more memorable. We remind you that we remain committed to serving you and hope to see you soon.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (6,645)

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Simply put, If you're looking for top-quality accommodations, food and beverage and service there is no other place to go! The managers, assistants and staff are second to none, they want to do whatever is necessary to make your stay enjoyable. The gym, spa and all the facilities were excellent. Stayed for two weeks and wish we could've stayed for two months. Went sailing, zip lining, snorkeling and had a blast. Can't wait to return.
Scott B.
Laurie G.

Room Tip: Unless you have a specific requirement all the rooms are very good.
2  Thank Scott B

Dear Guest:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you on your recent visit to Jamaica. We are encouraged by your generous review making special mention of our accommodations, food and beverage, and attentive service offered by our Management and Staff.

We are also pleased that you took the time to enjoy all the additional activities available as that certainly enhanced the quality of your stay. We trust you will also view us as your “home away from home” and will have no hesitation in visiting us in the near future.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

We just got married at the Grand Rose Hall Adults Only in Jamaica 2/20/12 to 2/27/12. First off, we are well versed in travel and for that I am a little more high maintenance. First the negatives then to the positives.

- Overall if we asked a question like asking for a late checkout depending on who we asked we got a different response. I was at the front desk and asked one person who told us to come back the next day. We did so and then another told us to come back later. Instead of waiting I just moved down the counter and asked another girl who was able to make our late check out. This happened quite a bit and I got a little ticked at times since it was not organized (please know I am an OCD organized person though).
- Reservations: When we arrived there were 0 openings. We had 28 people showing up and the thought of not having anything available made my stomach churn. What we quickly realized is that the restaurants are NEVER full. If they say they are full, just show up whenever and you can most likely get a reservation (unless it is a large group of people). We made reservations for our entire party just to circumvent anyone not having reservations once they arrived and we are so happy we did it. If you are just traveling as a couple this should not be a problem though.
- Butlers: Our butler's were AMAZING but I heard from others in the group that they didn't have the same people throughout their stay and they rarely spoke to them or didn't know why they were around. I wish the hotel would train the butlers in explaining what services they can offer like champagne in the room at a certain time or a drawn bubble bath after dinner or getting your airline boarding passes.
- Carpets: They need to clean the carpets on the 6000 wing. I always saw someone cleaning the marble but never the carpets on the other wing (we were in 5235 which was VERY clean!) and walking through they were a bit dingy. The rooms over there were very nice though.

Positive

- First I used Fayette at Travel Guy.Com She took care of all my parties arrangements which was super helpful since I had a wedding to plan. Use them if looking for a travel service. They came recommended by another person as well.
- Jamaica- gorgeous beaches, gorgeous property, super clean, everyone is nice and very helpful.
- Pool: Clean, lots of space, good amount of chairs out, great beach access, the pool water AND ocean is GORGEOUS!!!
Adults Only: NO KIDS- loved it! No screaming or yelling. Just quiet and serene.
- Activities: The activities were AWESOME! I had my husbands 65 year old parents there in age all the way down to us who are in our early 30's. They had water aerobics which were AWESOME, beach volleyball, archery, tennis, frisbee cup, ping pong, Bocci Ball... literally something for everyone for every level. It was super!!!
- Wedding Coordinator: Her name is Janielle and if I could have kidnapped her and taken her back home with me, I would in a heart beat! For 9 months she took care of EVERY tiny detail and literally many times read my mind and proactively did things that still make me tear up from happiness. She is the #1 reason I will keep going back to the property!!!! If you want to know why- message me and I will send you a 100 page book on the things she did to make this the BEST wedding! Even my guests and other patrons at the resort were making comments. Yes people she is that GREAT! If you are wanting to get married- Janielle and Sereicka are your ladies and you will NOT be let down in any capacity.
- Bonfire: Janielle planned a bonfire the night before the wedding and it was SO AWESOME!!!! Everyone had a blast and it was p-e-r-f-e-c-t! Gorgeous and everything I wanted!!!!
- Wishing Lanters: CHeck them out and get them to bring. I didn't have any but they are the coolest thing for a wedding.
- Everyday the weather was a gorgeous 85 degrees, sunny, light wind, and no clouds. Wear your SPF. It was great weather!
- Rooms: The rooms are large, spacious, have a good layout. We had a king bed, 9 different pillows to choose from (per your Butler), and large outdoor deck, a refrigerator stocked up perfectly, large bathroom with a gravity shower, enclosed toilet area, large jacuzzi bath, and him and her sinks.
- Restaurants: Gourmet, Japanese, Italian were all great!!! The Surf and Turf was okay. The Osso Bucco at the Italian is yummy as were the Lamb Chops from the Gourmet. The food was awesome. Every meal I had was yummy (except S&T which was just okay)!!!
- Bars are all nice. They have a great selection of drinks and even have a guy who plays Reggae on some nights or a gentlemen who was playing the Piano. It was a great bar!
- Discoteque- It was fun for my wedding night and served its purpose. The music was great. We didn't go any other night though. By the time you play volleyball through the day, drink, do dinner and enjoy a drawn bubble bath it is time for sleep. Also, the girls that are there (I think they are resort girls) dance raunchy. One of them was doing the splits on the floor and humping it at the same time. We all just laughed but I can see how it would get old to watch.
- The Butlers: Randy and Darwin are AMAZING!!!!! Randy drew us a bath each night after dinner with rose petals that spelled out our names. Darwin made sure to have champagne ready at certain times throughout the day. It was amazing and they were great!!!! Top notch Butlers!
- Port Maria- they have a buffet there and you can eat breakfast and lunch which is pretty good. THe view is what makes it though!!! I used it for my party of guests for the reception and everyone raved about the food and how nice the area was!
- If you are at the pool ask for Nordia and get her 'Dangerous Nordia' drink- lethal and YUMMY! She had all 30 of us drinking those each day.
- Morris Day- Great bar guy and a Sommelier who picked out a couple good bottles with our dinner each night.
- Spa- One word and her name is Lorraine. She did my hair and makeup and literally people were complimenting me left and right saying I looked like a Princess. I wear VERY light makeup (if any at all) and I didn't want to me too made up but still pop for the pictures. I showed my very picky fiance (now husband) the day before for my trial make up and he just stared at me in awe and LOVED it! She did my hair as well and just an AMAZING job!!!!!! If you want perfection- Lorraine is your girl.
- Spa- We also had a couples massage while there which was very good. My Mom had the hot stone and just raved about it.

It says all inclusive including tips but if you have someone who is going above and beyond- Tip! They get a low wage down there and they work them hard. At our dinner's we had people who were perfect, our butler's were amazing, etc. etc. We would throw down $40-$60 per dinner as a tip (with 6 people). Then Butlers we gave about $20 per day (but ours were WOW!!), and of course anyone serving me a drink throughout my stay I would give a couple here and there. It's not mandatory but it was a nice thank you since they made our wedding week so memorable.

This place is a 5 stars all around! I would HIGHLY recommend it! I researched places everywhere in the world. I wanted a place that is a direct flight, no ride time once landing, high luxury, pretty beaches, a high level of service, good food, no kids, all at a good reasonable cost. This place fit the bill on every level. I have heard horror stories from all my friends who did destination weddings. This was perfect and I wouldn't change anything at all about it. Good job to the resort and Iberostar. You just got yourself 30 loyal patrons!!!!
Thanks- E&E

Room Tip: Every room is exactly the same and all have an ocean view. Not a bad room in the house. We had ocean...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank pixie302009
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear Guest:

We thank you for your informative and kind review. We appreciate the time to evaluate your Wedding Service, Pools, Bars and Restaurants, Butler Service, and Spa. Your email shows our commitment to creating weddings that are well-planned, hassle-free and memorable. Thank you also for your kind recommendation of our property to other travelers. You mentioned some issues in your review and we wanted to address them for your assurance and in the interest of clarity:

-First of all I would like to apologize for what appeared to be a disorganized Front Office, but late check-outs are dependent on the number of arrivals due on any given day. Which would mean further that, whilst it is best to ask from the beginning of your stay for a late check out, an answer may not be easily given until closer to the time of your check-out and definitely not without consulting the record of arrivals. We are sorry that this process was not explained to you in a timely manner.

-Reservations are best made for the A la Carte restaurants, but we do not discourage persons from checking the Restaurants if someone has cancelled or did not show up. However, it would mean that without reservations then seating is not guaranteed.

-Butlers are on hand, and persons can call the Concierge regarding special needs as they would communicate same to the Butlers. Since guests often spend a lot of time outdoors, the Butler may miss you, but leaving a note for him with the Concierge regarding a time you would like to speak with him or to communicate any special needs, would greatly assist.

-Our Carpets have been changed on one block, but since re-carpeting requires the closing of blocks then it is usually scheduled for low season. We can assure you, it is on our list of priority Scheduled Maintenance.

We look forward to welcoming you again and would be honored if you could consider us as your hosts for your Anniversary.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My review is going to be the condensed version of the latter I sent to Iberostar PR Department last week, and of course I did not get a response.

We stayed at Iberostar Grand from February 16 through 20. We traveled in a party of 10. Our travel agent booked two rooms through Expedia and three through Apple Vacations (we have no clear explanation as to why). Our room was booked through Expedia. We were less than pleased with our stay for a multitude of reasons, and clearly we did not get the ammenities or services that were advertised.

Upon arrival, we went to the desk to check in. We were informed that despite advance request that our parties be placed together in the hotel, this was not honored. Three rooms were in the 5 building, and the other two (including our room) were in the first floor of the 6 building. Note both of these reservations were through Expedia, and it seemed like we were being punished for this fact by being put in the worst possible room location, despite the fact that we all paid the same price for our trips. Our room was 6110. While we had the printed reservation which indicated a KING BED room, we were told that only two doubles were available. We showed them the reservation, they did not care. They told us it was this room or no room because they were booked. Now, the hotel has many conference visitors who clearly don't need king size beds, yet we are on a romantic vacation and given a room with two small beds in it. Ridiculous. The bellman did his best to calm us down, but in the walk to our room warns us that people are dishonest, and don't leave any keys in the room or they may be used to break in. What a greeting!!! Building 6 as you must realize is a disgrace. The elevator rarely showed up. The carpets are FILTHY. The entire place smells like mold, and the rose scented candles used to mask the smell are only making it worse. Air conditioning is non existent.

We were assured a wonderful luxury suite with butler meeting our every need. It became clear that our floor did not have a butler. The butler room had no sign of life. We discovered that the butlers left newspapers outside the rooms every morning, but no one on our floor ever received a newspaper. Our refrigerator was not restocked, even though we left notes. Finally on our third night, a guy came by as we were leaving for dinner and said he was our evening butler that we "never got a chance to meet". He stopped by to tell us that an Iberostar representative may be in our dining room giving out a survey, and we should give them high marks. We had never seen a butler during our stay. How could we give him high marks? We then asked again for more water for the fridge. He said sure- and was never, ever seen again.

We had no way of knowing what activities were going on since we were not given any schedule. We stopped by the front desk, they dug for a while, and handed us a schedule. It was in Spanish. Eventually, they found one in English. However, the schedule seems only loosely followed if at all. While the exercise classes seem to occur, little else on the schedule does. Not once did we see an actual drink making or dance class. The Star Friends knew nothing about these classes. What the Star Friends did know about was the Iberostar survey! They spent our entire third day there (saturday) asking us about our stay and telling us how their jobs depend on us saying nice things about them.

Service overall was lackluster. While tipping was not included, we did in fact tip quite generously. We found that even a decent tip would not encourage good service. At times, the wait staff was visually annoyed at any request, as if we were bothering them by our mere presence. The attitude at the sit down restaurants was clearly get in, eat and get out as soon as possible. The only outstanding service we received was Morrison at the Lobby Bar, Corina (I think that is the spelling) in the Lobby Bar, and the tall waiter in the Surf and Turf restaurant. The food we felt was very good overall. The beverages were another thing. How can you run a bar without limes? Lemons also seemed to be something that they sometimes had, and sometimes did not. And while the top shelf alcohol was nice, it seemed very little actually ended up in the drinks.

What we found most troublesome was the lack of luxury atmosphere. The Star Friends running around shaking their behinds and doing the extremely inappropriate Big Bamboo Dance, along with the throngs of drunk conventioners from the midwest really gave this place a Spring Break Gone Wild feel. The convention group was not stopped in any way by the staff-even when they had men in the ladies room filling water balloons in the sink, and running around in drag, the staff did nothing to ensure their behavior did not impact that of other guests.

We did not get the luxury vacation we paid for. We did not even get the KING BED we paid for. How can we feel good about Iberostar?

Room Tip: Refuse any room in building 6.
7  Thank clc053103

Dear Guest:

We thank you for your valuable feedback which you have so kindly posted on Trip Advisor. We thank you for your kind comments about the service you received in the Lobby Bar and the Surf and Turf Restaurant. It was disappointing for us to hear that your vacation fell below expectations, we are sorry that you had not tried to speak to the Public Relations Manager whilst you were in house. To clarify the issues raised in your review, we want to elaborate on the following matters:

- We did not receive a letter from you and thorough checks have been made with both Public Relations, Front Office, and our Management team.
- Reservations are placed in the system in the order that they are received. The fact that you and your colleagues’ Travel Agent used different Tour Operators, would result in the Reservations being received at different times. Further we received no request from the Tour Operator that you wanted rooms close to your colleague.
- Your reservation for a room at all times may state your preference for a particular type of bed, however, this is usually subject to availability.
- On check-in, we often brief guests on safety, namely the use of utilizing the In-room safes and exercising precaution in securing your room key. We apologize for the abrupt way in which you were informed, as we did not intend to alarm you or cause you to be uncomfortable.
- It is not customary for us to solicit guests for reviews and we express our heartfelt apologies to you for the discomfort that caused.
- Whilst we try to please all our guests we sometimes have no control over the behavior of other guests unless their behavior compromise your safety. If you had made a complaint about this, while in house, we would have been happy to have spoken to them on your behalf.
- As it pertains to your Mini Bar to be stocked, or the shortfall in provisions of lime or mint, we are sorry that you did speak specifically to Public Relations or the Front Office so we could have made formal notes of your preferences.
- Extra Copies of the Schedule of Entertainment Activities is available at the Front Desk for your information and regret the experience you had. Just to inform you though that any questions regarding Entertainment would have been happily answered by the Entertainment Staff who organize all the events. They are there to serve you by providing information on activities, and engage you in conversation to find out if you are okay. We recognize that all persons have different needs on their vacation and you might have wished privacy, but as it pertains to a schedule, the Entertainment Team are the designated personnel for passing on such information.

Whilst your experience seemed to have been based mostly on the unavailability of the King Bed which we could not provide as we were full, that experience is not typical of our guests. We feel that had we gotten the opportunity to address your concerns whilst you were in house, you would have had a totally different impression. We wish you all the very best in your future travels and are hoping that you will change your mind and offer us the privilege to serve you again.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My daughter and I just got back from a week at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and I can only say good things about it. The hotel itself is beautiful and we found the staff are all exceptionally friendly and attentive and the restaurants all have a really nice decor and the service is good. The people that work there really want you to enjoy every moment of your stay and it's service with a smile all the time. The food is excellent at all the a la carte restaurants and the lunch and breakfast buffet has pretty much everything you can think of. Great variety, very tasty food and we found it generous with lobster and shrimp at every meal and the grilled meats are really good and tender.

We were very happy with the beach. The water was very clear with no seaweed. There are the "Star Friends" who run all the activities on the beach who are so fun and friendly. They offer beach activiities, which they also participate in but if you'd rather just soak up the sun they don't push you to join in which is nice. They just want you to be happy. Drinks service is on the beach is regular. The room was also very nice and clean and housekeeping service was good and prompt too. A Butler was always around to help out with a smile.

The shows every night at the theatre are also very entertaining and we especially loved the dancers who were all really talented. Singers are excellent too.

We really loved this resort. And as a bonus, it's close to the airport.

I guess if there was one thing I would change it would just be the carpet in our hallway leading to our room which was pretty stained but if that's the worst thing about a place that's really not so bad. Not even worth mentioning really. I am sure it's on their list to be done asap.

I would definately go back to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Madison407

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review which you have posted on this site. We want to assure you too that whilst we have completed the re-carpeting exercise on one block, we are expected to begin re-carpeting the block which you stayed by April, although it depends entirely on our occupancy levels.

We appreciate that despite that issue, you were able to take the time to show your appreciation for other aspects of your stay, namely, the delicious food, excellent a la carte service, efficient housekeeping service and quality of entertainment. Since we have designed a hotel product that ensures your absolute satisfaction, we feel rewarded to have received such a positive review from you. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I had not been to Jamaica in 20 years and was so happy to have a completely different experience at this top notch hotel. The hotel is beautiful, the food very good and the service first rate. I also highly recommend the spa, one of the best massages I have ever had. If I go back to Montego Bay this is definitely the hotel I would choose again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebbieKirby
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review which you have shared on this site. We are pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with the hotel in general, the food, and service offered, We also thank you for your kind review of the spa which will certainly be well received by the Spa Technicians.

It is hoped that you will visit the Island in the near future and will no doubt opt to stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Our stay at the Iberostar grand rose hall was excellent! The service was astounding! Spa services were excellent and room service was great. Our butler, Davian, went above and beyond to help us find needed items. Great food selection and meal times. Everyone always had a smile on their face and was eager to help you in any way. Would highly recommend this resort to vacationers.

2  Thank Sherry K
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your very encouraging review. It is our belief that personalized and efficient Butler Service and Room Service are just some of the exceptional amenities that we uniquely offer at no extra cost. We appreciate your kind words regarding those services as well as our Spa services and exceptional staff.

Comments from guests such as yourself are greatly appreciated as it motivates us to hear that we are meeting our guests’ high standards. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!