“4 1/2 stars-The best resort we have ever been to”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
London,Ontario
“4 1/2 stars-The best resort we have ever been to”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall lies a scant 20 minutes out of Montego Bay Airport.The locals will tell you that the resort was built on some of the best beaches on the island.And I cannot argue with them.The Grand Rose Hall is certainly a 5 star plus resort and anything you want done(with the exception of cleaning of clothes)is cost free.You have concierge service like many resorts but you also have an exclusive butler at your beck and call.
Your rooms are something else.There are two vanities,a jacuzzi,a stand in shower(encased in glass) and a toilet also encased in glass.The bathroom takes up about 1/3 the space of the room as a whole.This what you come into when you first enter.You enter the bedroom/living area and there is a door which you can shut behind you.The drapes are heavy and block out most of the light when closed.The door shut at night blocks out the hall noise and with the drapes,you never know what the day is like outside as it remains very dark.There is mention of Oceanview suites.From what I can tell,you can see the ocean from just about ALL suites,so there`s no need to upgrade,save your money.The balconies all have these rattan hanging chairs along with a small devan and coffee table.
The resort itself is connected to two others the Rose Hall Suites and Junior Suites,which are cheaper and family oriented.At the Grand Rose Hall there are NO children allowed.However,you have the run of the other two and it is worth checking out your next door neighbours.I found Grand Rose Hall`s pools rather lacking.they are a series of about five disconnected smaller pools,with an almost hidden outside jacuzzi.Your next door neighbour has a lazy river with two huge pools.Your farthest neighbour of the two,and the cheapest of the resorts(and it shows),has the best pools bar none.
You have access also to free catamarans and kayaks,which are located about half way along near the front of your next door neighbour.If you want access to the free snorkeling equipment that is about a 10-15 minute walk along the beach,in front of a boat jetty, and just past the farthest resort.It seemed like an odd place to put it.The parasailing boat and the scuba excursion boats also sail out of this jetty.
I recall being at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo in Mexico and their entertainment committee was seemingly always after you to participate in something or other.here they leave you alone and if you want to join in you can,if not,that is alright too.Sometimes it was down right like a cemetery,as all or any ``àction``was at the other resorts.Speaking of action,if you wanted to play free tennis or basketball there are fenced in courts in front of the next resort.Also nearer the next resort is the disco.
The Ibersostar here created about three different artificial reefs(actually just rocks dug up from the shore and deposited out in front of your neighbouring resorts.I snorkeled these ``reefs`` frequently and saw such things as horseshoe crabs,a little manta ray,starfish and a plethora of brightly coloured fish and marine life.Some of the fish would actually come so close as to touch you.If you have never snorkeled before,I would recommend it as a pleasurable outing for the entire family.The reefs by the way are inside the marked perimeter of the swimming area,so there is no danger of getting out too far or into trouble.
On site at the Grand is a casino and a myriad of different shops.Also you free access to computers and a free wi-fi connection.
There was more than a few days there were BBQ`s going on at the beach.The next to last day they served Lobster(some of the best I`ve eaten) along with hamburgers(surprisingly good too).The drinks of course are liberally filled with alcohol and I would recommend a Jamaican Smile.They go down beautifully.
The grounds,which I strolled alone,are immaculately kept,along with the inside lobbies and common areas.here`s a little secret for those that may be a little ambitious and/or snoopy like me.If you stand out on the beach,face the resort, to the far right and up some lone steps,there is a service walkway that leads around the side.Well,follow that walkway and keeps your eyes to the left.You will find some private suites(about 6 or so) with their own private pool! You won`t find those posh places in the travel brochures.they must be for VIPS.They`re worth looking at.
Here is a little downside to all of this(There always has to be one)
As I said at the start,everything you want is just about free like ordering any meal in,the stocking of the free mini bar and fridge,etc.However just remember that these folks you get to do your bidding,like the peeps that bring you your meal and your butler,ALL to a man,want tips of some kind.If you got the cash you are fine.But we weren`t loaded and we found we started to go through our hard saved money quite quickly.That also goes for the reserved dinners you can get.You can dine for five nights,each in a different diner if you want.But...those tips for the waiters.Also we had an incident which we did not like.We were on our honeymoon and while we were out one of the staff came in and did that decorating that occurs quite often in the Caribbean.like making swans out of cloths and sprinkling rose petals on the bed,and making up our jacuzzi(every room has one!) with petals and scented oil.Trouble was,he did this while we were out and since we had just arrived and were dashing for some food,we left many of our belongings laying about ,never dreaming somebody would be in,which we otherwise would not have done.To TOP this off,the guy who did this,came by and asked us how we liked what he had done.....!! Obviously looking for a tip and terribly declasse`.In fact it looked bad on the resort.
That was the only down side to our experience as everyone was very friendly and accommodating.Staff that had never seen you before would continually ask how your stay was going.
That is it.We would certainly go back again and highly recommend this spot.The food is top class,those Jamaican Smiles are to die for and the staff is generally well mannered and very helpful.You will love your stay here.Just watch out for how much you get the staff to do for you and be prepared to tip if you do.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bigband98
SantoValdez, Quality Manager Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review and recommending our services. Your kind mention of the comfort of your room and our facilities was also very encouraging to hear.

We apologize for the impression you might have gotten regarding tipping. We remind you though that tipping is always optional and completely your choice. We will be addressing this situation to ensure that our guests at no time feel pressured to tip.

Please be assured that our guests’ welfare and comfort is very important to us and we hope that this will not deter your future stay.

Quality Manager, Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,998)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portland, ME
Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is not how I usually travel. I love the idea of an all inclusive, but at the end of the day, I do want a little more of the local flavor then what you get at the Iberostar. What you DO get is an incredibly gracious staff who went out of their way to remember you and make your vacation wonderful. Some people in this forum have complained about not wanting to tip at an all inclusive, but I had $80 in ones for my 4 night stay and tipped every chance I got, because the people are what makes this resort wonderful. A special shout out to my butler - Rayon, who I never really saw, not because he didn't try to help me, but because all my needs were met by just being able to lay out by the pool or the beach, go sailing, play volleyball with the "Star Friends" (Hey Diva!), walk on the beach or enjoy my balcony! I loved the "Jerry Special" at the swim up bar.

I ate at several of the restaurants, the Italian was my favorite.

Next time I go to Jamaica, I am going to stay at a resort that gives back to the community, and that would be my one gripe with Iberostar. If you are doing outreach, brag about it, I would love to know, and it would affect my decision to come back and stay with you! If you aren't, then shame on you - I will take my business to a resort that does!

The food was fine - would have loved more barbeques on the beach, and I think you could really use a jerk/burger shack on the beach or poolside. The pools were always clean. I was part of a large group that was part of a wedding and we had people stay at all 3 resorts. If it is between a couple hundred dollars, as it was with me, I'd go with the Grand Rose Hall. The lack of kids, more room to spread out at beach and at pool, and ability to go to other resorts, but not have other resorts come to you I think was worth it. The bride and groom of our group stayed at the Grand Rose Hall after the first 4 nights at the other resort and they confirmed that sentiment.

I would have also liked more live music options!

Room Tip: If you get the beachfront rooms, request a higher floor!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elle S
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear of your recent experience while vacationing with us.
It is our intention to ensure that you are more than happy with the personal service we offer and attention to detail.

We appreciate your suggestions and they will certainly be considered in the future. Please be assured though that we are a charitable hotel, presently we sponsor a local school New Day Experimental located in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.
The school caters to students Age 3 – 12 years old. We also donate Linens, cash and kind to the local Hospitals and Infirmary on a regular basis. Whilst we are proud of our charity work, we believe it is just part of our civic responsibility hence, not bragging about it.

If you should decide to stay with us again we would happy to explain further, how you can participate. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Jamaica.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The hotel is pretty "grand." What I loved most was the staff. The friendliest, most helpful, fun, cheerful, congenial people work there. We had many conversations with the staff and loved everyone who worked there. Our "butler" Marlon was an outstanding young man. The room was spacious and the bathroom awesome. I loved the swing on the private balcony, too. The 4 pools were attractive and clean. The beach was pretty, but not really the main attraction (because of the location east of Montego Bay, area is windy and beaches short). The 7 Mile beach in Negril is a lot nicer. I think the hotel is the primary focus. Food ranged from OK at the buffets to excellent and fancy at the theme restaurants. Nightime entertainment was good to excellent. MoBay/Ocho Rios has many extra activities that are well worth one's time and $. Climbing Dunns River Falls was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Not hard to do and exciting - natural, not a "theme park." The catamaran trip that took us there and brought us home was a lot of fun - complete with some casual dancing lessons. We played golf at Cinnamon Hill. Extraordinarily beautful golf course that is both in the mountain and along the coast. Great Caddy named Vincent. We also recommend the nightime tour of Rose Hall Manor. Spooky and fun. Loved horseback riding in the Caribbean (at Bracco Stables), too. Be prepared to spend a lot on tipping, outside the hotel, even though you're told you don't have to. Its important b/c tips are the Jamaican people's primary income. I wish the daytime food had been a bit better (though it might have just been me) and that the carpets were cleaner. Otherwise, a very very good vacation spot.

though could be a touch cleaner (carpet).

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean view (facing north)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John S
SantoValdez, Quality Manager Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your invaluable and important feedback. It was a pleasure to hear feedback about your experience with us and the various tours/ adventures whilst on the Island.

As it relates to the food, we are sorry that we did not hear from you while you were in-house as we would have loved to get your comments about the food, so as to seek to address the situation. To this end, we invite you to email qualitymanagergrand@iberostar.com.jm so we can use those suggestions to improve the quality of our food.

We have already re-carpeted one block, but due to high occupancy, have had to reschedule the carpeting of the other blocks. We are regretful about the wait, but are hoping to complete the re-carpeting exercise by March – April. We hope that you will make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall your future vacation destination.

Quality Manager, Iberostar Jamaica
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We had an amazing time @Iberostar Grand in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Upon arrival we were given nice cool towels & Mimosas. The resort is absolutely gorgeous with breath taking views of the ocean. Our room was a Junior Suite with a balcony facing pool & view of ocean. We had amazing service the entire stay. Our butlers name was Randy. He checked on us always & made all of our dinner reservations for the entire stay. Our bellhop was Sylvester. He was so pleasant. Greeeted us always & asked if we needed anything & always took care of our luggage with great service. Our housekeeper was Lorraine. Our room was always re stocked with beverages & fresh towels. Every night she took down our bed & prepared us for a soothing sleep with a aromatic candle burning. She also prepared our jacuzzi tub with a bubble bath filled with rose petals, some chocolate & champagne to make our anniversary special. I do recommend that people stay here, you will be amazed at the excellent service & the warm hearted people that will serve you.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lori m
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the Staff and service which you received at our hotel.

Your time dedicated in posting this review to share your feedback after your recent stay with us is really appreciated.

It is our pleasure to have served your vacation needs and hope that when planning future vacations,
We will be foremost in your mind.

Best greetings from Iberostar Grand Rose Hall,

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I really like this hotel I went Down there with a group of 12 guys last week of January . The weather was perfect around 80F... Good food, nice view and spectacular rooms.. My butler (Damian)was the best one I had I stayed On the first floor it's where all the action happens u are next to the pool and beach ...
For entreataimrbt they had a show every night that was pretty interesting and there was Always young staff playing soccer volleyball and dancing on the beach.. Pretty girls and fun !!!
I recommend this hotel 100% the place is nice and the staff makes u feel like u are a king..

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Gabrielperu
santo48, Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is really delightful to hear that you and your group had a great time at our beautiful Island such as Jamaica!
For us at the Grand Rose Hall It was important to know that you valued a numerous activities from the ones we arrange for your enjoyment and therefore we thank you sincerely for taking the time to let us know about them. At the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall we certainly believe in offering world-class facilities and service to enrich your experience, the Management team and Staff take great pride in ensuring that you, our valued guest get always treated with the utmost in personal care. Therefore, it is reviews like yours that remind us how much it is appreciated.
Many thanks for this review.
Online Reputation Manager, Iberostar
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We arrived @ the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to be greeted by Peter, the bellman with a moist towel and a HUGE smile. He showed us the way to the front desk and we were then given a nice cold Mimosa while we checked in. Barrington was waiting with a nice welcome and already a room upgrade. Check in was a breeze especially since the hotel was fully booked. Peter then escorted us to our GORGEOUS room and explained a few details and said that our butler Donavon would be by shortly! Within 20 minutes Donavon arrived with a warm greeting and made sure we had everything we needed. He made our reservations for the whole week at the a la carte restaurants. We asked if we could have some Bailey's as it was our holiday tradition to have Bailey's and Coffee each morning. He suggested we try the Jamaican Rum Cream and within a few minutes a bottle of Jamaican Rum Cream arrived at our door from room service. Donavon became a TRUE genuine friend to us. We also were never without butler service. Deniston and Darwin also took great care of our every need!!
The staff at this resort truly wanted to be there and work very hard. We believe in tipping when it is deserved and not once did we notice a change in service from people who didn't tip. Our room was always kept pristine clean and our maid Navlette, who we never saw, made a point to come and wish us good-bye as we were leaving. We spent a lot of our time lounging poolside and Jodianne and Tracyanne worked hard and kept our drinks full. Our other favourite bartenders were Clive, who made our morning cappuchino's in our to-go cups daily, O'Neil who remembered from our 1st order at the lobby bar what our favourite drinks were and Christopher and Corinna for the awesome visits and chuckles in the Cigar Bar. The entertainment team really do have a hard job at this resort as most people prefer to relax. They were never hassling anyone but always a Happy Greeting and Smile!!! We got to know a few of them very well and learned a great deal about Jamaica from them!! A few to name were, T.O, Lucky, Kiki, Samantha, Ras Ryan and more. The food and drinks were all amazing and this is the 1st all inclusive we've stayed at, that myself or my husband didn't have stomach problems from the food. We enjoyed all of the a la carte restaurants and found that the buffet was just as good everyday. We could eat lobster for lunch or supper if we so chose. The chefs at the buffet were there to explain any food or offer us anything that we might want that wasn't on the buffet. We thoroughly enjoyed the Beach BBQ's with the live Reggae band, it's nice to be dancing while filling our plates for lunch. We even made a new friend with the gardener Lukel, who explained to us any questions we had about the local flora and fauna. All in all our stay at this hotel was truly GRAND and we're already talking about returning next year. We went on a few excursions with Earnest our favourite taxi driver, where he took us to places in the REAL Jamaica, as we are not fond of bus excursions. The one and only complaint that we would like to make, is that the resort really does need to invest in some new pool side loungers. We came home saying NO WORRIES, NO PROBLEM and YA MON!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janice G
We thank you very much for taking the time on your return home, to review your vacation experience with us. We are so grateful and proud to know of your Truly Grand Stay with us likewise to hear of the many staff who made of your trip a special memory. It is also a special treat to be told that you enjoyed the many food options and beverages offered at our facility. In regards to the pool side loungers, I am glad to inform you that we are already in the process of making steps to improve on it and very soon we will be getting new ones. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback and opportune observation since this serves as encouragement for our constant improvement. It is sincerely hoped that we will have the opportunity to see you again with us in the near future.
Truly yours,
Online Reputation Manager, Iberostar.
annaqpolis MD
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Excellent facilty from all suites to food and beverige, service and entertainment.Butlers are an interesting concept.( like a cabin steward but better )

Room Tip: All suites. Ocean front is a surcharge but you don't need.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank very much you for your important comment; we sincerely appreciate your time in posting this review to highlighting your most relevant elements of our facility during your getaway with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon. Thank you again for your evaluation about our accommodation, food, beverage, entertainment, Butler and overall services.
We are very happy to know you had an awesome time!
Faithfully yours,
On line Reputation Manager, Iberostar.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!