“Lots of reasons why this place is rated #1 out of 64 resorts in MoBay:”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Region of Waterloo, Canada
“Lots of reasons why this place is rated #1 out of 64 resorts in MoBay:”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed March 5-March 12, 2011.
I can't disagree with many of the reviews we read before we booked here.

We've never been to Jamaica together before and with all the rave reviews this resort got (and the fact that "The Suites" booked up after we decided to go there) we "splurged" and stayed a week here.
We like great beaches and "March Break" did play into our decision to go to an "adults only" resort in MoBay rather than Negril, due to the likelihood that students might be all over Negril Beach. This beach was not "white powder," but it was clean, soft and easy to walk in with bare feet in the local 28C sun.

The "adults only" nature of "The Grand" was clearly palpable. It was a nice, quiet getaway for us. Average age was 50's and older.

Ocean was crystal-clear and incredibly calm; probably the best oceanfront we've experienced (read my other reviews) An "Eagle Ray" made regular trips up and down the coastline everyday around 4pm, only 6ft out from the beach. I stuck my W/P camera in the water at my feet and got a video of the Ray feeding on the bottom in only 2-3ft of water. The rock-reefs along the shore of the 3 Iberostar resorts were TEAMING with "Lion Fish" and the occasional Puffer Fish and Skate; very easy to see and photograph.
No need for a snorkelling excursion at this resort.

In fact, even though we talked about taking advantage of the "inclusive" golf games, the only "excursion" we did do was to visit the local market very close-by, using the free shuttle service.

The service at "The Grand" beach was the best we've ever experienced. We used this trip as a getaway and we loved eating, drinking, sunning and relaxing at this resort VERY MUCH!
Food was great, wine was the best we've ever had at an all inclusive (that's not necessarily a compliment) and the the beach buffets were AWESOME! Due to all the negative reviews and feedback we got from fellow guests we met, we stayed away from the Italian restaurant. We enjoyed meals at the Gourmet, S&Turf and Japanese restaurants (we booked as soon as we walked into the lobby off the bus), but the buffet was so easy to use and satisfied us, that we agreed we could have enjoyed ourselves just as much if we hadn't eaten at any a la cartes.

I ate Lobster for lunch and supper every day we were there, so I was in heaven. Once I got a Lobster from the beach BBQ that was the consistency of mashed potatoes, but that didn't phase me as there were plenty more to choose from. The burgers and fries on the beach were excellent.
The regular buffet was cozy and we thought service at the buffet was sub-par, but because it was so small, we had no problem getting what we wanted on our own when needed.
We found the locals who worked at the resort to be extremely friendly, and customer service oriented, but somewhat intimidated when spoken to by us. It was an odd thing to experience.
I asked and was told that tips are not "pooled" at this resort. So don't think the tip you give to your waiter is split with your chef. If you see a young local person working hard, tip them and chat with them. One of the "Star" personal on the beach told us she had never even been in the ocean her whole life! Tip the security guard that gets off his chair to chase the local vendors away from the beach. Tip the Life Guard who actually watches out for you. Tip the poor guard that stands ALL DAY at the hallway door separating "The Grand" from the other resorts so that guests registered at the other two Rose Hall resorts can't "crash" The Grand.

We were not impressed with our inclusive "Butler" service and considered it nothing more than an additional layer of bureaucracy that didn't really help with our service satisfaction. The Butlers KNOW when you are in your room and they are always loitering in your face waiting for a tip. Mind you, one of our 4 different butlers actually did what we asked him, immediately when we asked him.

Yes the carpets in the hallways were stained ugly and in need of daily steam-cleanings or out-right replacement, but we never spent a lot of time walking on them to want to complain about them or let them ruin our enjoyable time here.

The rooms were great. The inclusive Spa was massive and in very good repair - we just didn't take the time to use it. (I love saunas and the mens' was clean, wet, spacious and 90C ... but there was no sunshine or a beach in it ... know what I mean?)

Top shelf liquor was available, but a type of local beer and Glenfiddich was not, even though it was listed on the menu. Geeze, I was so angry I drank something else.

Our worst part of our trip was our experience in Sangster airport, arriving and departing, but that had nothing to do with the Iberostar.

If anyone from Iberostar reads my review, I have to say that I got a really bad feeling that we made a mistake booking here when we were brought our welcome Mimosas at the front desk: the serving tray was covered with a filthy-STAINED napkin and my glass was chipped. It didn't ruin my stay, but I sure remembered to write about it, didn't I? The rest of my stay sure made up for it.

You can't go wrong with Iberostar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWONTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,981)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed April 10, 2011

From the minute we were dropped off, till the final minute of our trip the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The food was very good and plentiful! Nice choice of restaurants. Our butlers (DARWIN and Nick) went above and beyond, took my husbands shoes, cleaned and polished them on their own! Darwin checked on us at the pool and even on the beach to make sure we were comfortable! Anything you request they'll deliver! Only all inclusive I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed April 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This all-inclusive hotel and staff members exceeded my expectation! The beach and sea are to die for... The best restaurants - Japanese: Jason (tantalized my taste buds) and Gourmet: Michael (outstanding service). Room service (fantastic and on time). Housekeeping - Jacqueline, Mayra and Marcia (always catered to my specific requests). The concierge - Sherine (gracious and poised). The butlers were outstanding: Dorran (excellent - goes above and beyond), Reneish (suave), Marlon (ambitious) and Ryan (timely). The Spa Centre - Jean (spectacular), Lamour (fabulous), Charmaine and Lorraine (warm and welcoming). The "rose petal bath" is a luxurious treat... The shows are entertaining. The location is only 20 minutes away from the airport. Looking forward to experiencing this STAR treatment very soon!

Room Tip: The junior suite with ocean front-view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PrincessDiamondLady
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Hello CLYDE and ROCHELLE!!! I'm sorry I'm just getting around to writing a review, but we miss Jamaica and can't wait to come back.

Let's see where to begin?

Upon arriving to the hotel we were greeted with warm towels and a cool drink. We were asked for our passports during signing and, and that is when we realized one of our passports was missing. The front desk did everything possible to help us locate the passport. They called our taxi driver and the airport assisting us in our search for the missing passports.

We were pretty down about the lost passport but the staff really pulled through to get our minds off the search. We had an ocean view room and the view even at night, when we arrived, was breathtaking. There was a cold bottle of champagne waiting on the disk ready for us to enjoy.Our butler arrived a few moments later and talked to us about room service and the different pillows that could be provided to us, what a bonus!!

The next day we decided to explore the grounds, and if you are staying at the GRAND ROSE you have access to all the other hotels. The beach area was beautiful and the beachside beds and chairs were extremely comfortable. The Star friends greeted us and excited for us to be there. Whether you are lounging by the pool, on the beach, or in the main hall the staff will be there asking you how can we make your day better. Clyde works at the bar inside and he was the BEST!! Not only was he funny he made great drinks.

The food was GREART. We ate at one of the local jamaica restaurants (sorry forgot the name) and I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel. The buffet food is good so don't worry if you missed a reservation for one of the restaurants. TIP..Email the hotel to reserve restaurants . We did this and it worked out the hotel sends out daily reminders of your reservation in case you forgot...what a bonus.

Please check out the club. We went to margaritaville one night and it was packed and had to fight for drinks. The next night we went to the club at the hotel and it was much more enjoyable. I would however recommend the dj update the playlist, most of the songs were old but good.

On my birthday there was a note wishing me happy birthday as well as beautiful flower. My fiance arranged a little surprise for me when I returned to the room that evening. The staff had prepared a bubble bath with champagne, flowers, and candles it was so romantic.

Go to the shows, they are really fun. Fiance and I only went to one show and we were really bummed that we didn't go before. All our excursions were booked through the hotel and they were actually cheaper than places advertised online. There is a FABULOUS SPA at the hotel. We took a hot bath and got a couples massage and it was absolutely wonderful. Please go visit those ladies (sorry I forgot your names) not only did they have magic hands but they had great conversation. We would had visit more, but it just wasn't in our price range.

I couldn't give the Grand Rose Hotel 100% because there is an off smell in the hotel. To be honest its noticeable but it doesn't take away the experience of the hotel. We had a great time. It was our first time visiting Jamaica and our trip was a day after they caught the big drug lord. At no point in time did we ever feel intimidated or worried about traveling or going off the grounds, we felt very safe.

Our trip to Jamaica was wonderful and we can't wait to go back and stay at the Grand!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I just got back from the Iberostar Grand and I immediately want to go back. I have never been treated better in my life. I planned a trip for 5 couples so there was a little pressure on me to make the trip great. I spent countless hours looking at hotels all over Jamaica and Trip Advisor helped me make the final decision. I hope my review below helps someone else.

Cliff Note Version
All Pro’s
-The staff is the best I have ever had
-Beautiful Rooms
-Butlers really make the Grand worth the upgrade from the suites (I almost brought Keron home in my suitcase)
-Pool Area is really fun and not too loud
-Drinks are as premium as you could ever expect (Grey Goose/Johnnie/etc)
-The Restaurants were excellent with a top rate wait staff
-Free Round of Golf at Cinnamon Hill was the best golf experience I have had
-Excursion you have to do the Catamaran Cruise from Island Routes
-Disco was about as good of a night club you can have in a resort
-You get access to the Iberostar Suites and the Hotel also with a Grand Bracelet

Con
-Transportation to and from the hotel. This had nothing to do with the Iberostar. It was a different company Jamaican Tours Limited.

I explained in detail my bullet points below if you have time to read.

Arrival
On arrival we were met with mimosa’s, cold towels, and other refreshments. The front desk attendant informed us that they had open ocean front rooms and they would like to upgrade us since it was available.

Rooms
We were given a personal tour from a Butler and the room was gorgeous (large patio with swing and furniture, good-sized marble bathroom with Jacuzzi and his and her vanities, the bedroom bed was the most comfortable bed, and the living area was perfect for relaxing when we were inside). The view from our room was incredible.

Butlers
I was in between the Suites and the Grand once I decided on the Iberostar. One of the differences is that you get a butler to tend to anything you need. I had read one review that said that they didn’t see their butler much. I would completely disagree with that. We had the best butler ever Keron. He took care of anything we needed and was like family by the end of the trip. If you are wondering what am I going to do with a butler, trust me, you will come up with something. He took care of everything from setting up a romantic bath/champagne for my wife and me to getting us ice when we were just being too lazy. He really made us feel like royalty when we were there. We miss you already Keron. When he was off Ryan and Rhaseed (I might have misspelled) did an excellent job making sure we received whatever we needed.

Pool
The pool area was very nice. The loungers and cabanas are very comfortable. People in previous reviews complain about the towel game, but I never had a problem. If something is full we just moved to the beach and then came back a few hours later and something would be open. The Star Friends are all good people. I wish I remembered all their names so I could give them a compliment on here. I do remember “Lucky” AKA Usher who helped us with our game of water volleyball. If you want to have fun these people will make sure you have a good time. If you want to relax they get the point and don’t bug you. I saw one comment on TA about some loudness at the pool. If you want to relax you will be able to find a place where people are being quieter. It is a large resort with a lot of options. You shouldn’t complain because people are having a good time in Jamaica.

Drinks
This was a big deal for our group because we had a larger group and wanted to have some nice drinks. I have stayed at previous 5 star resorts and they have Jack, Absolute, and other calls and say they are premium. At the Grand it was Grey Goose and Johnnie Walker that were being poured into our drinks. They also ask you if you want it strong or light and pour it exactly how you want it. All the bartender’s were great. I will say Morrison was the man at the lobby bar. I asked him to make a drink for my wife Lindsay and he threw something together and said “We will call that one the Lindsay”. The rest of the night the ladies were drinking “Lindsay’s”.

The Italian was our favorite mostly because of the staff. Avery and the other waiter did a great job. They really made the restaurant stand out to us. The Japanese Steakhouse was very entertaining. Our cook got everyone involved in the meal and cooked a great meal. The surf and turf was what we expected out of a surf and turf. Make sure you book reservations as soon as you get there to make sure you get into all of them at the times you desire. We had a large group, but they still did everything they could to make it work.

Golf
Take advantage of the free round of golf gentleman. The course is beautiful with about 4 to 5 holes right on the coast. I played at Myrtle Beach last year and those courses have nothing on Cinnamon Hill. Premium drinks were included. The caddies there are the best. They helped us work on our strokes at the same time showing us a good time. Bring your clubs if you can, but if you don’t you just have to pay $55 for club rentals. They were Nike clubs that were pretty descent so it wasn’t too bad.

Excursion
There is only one excursion in my opinion you have to do and that is the Catamaran trip by Island Routes. The one on Saturday you start with snorkeling near the reef with tropical fish. After that we went to Margaritaville where there is a slide, water trampolines, and a nice deck. Then you get back on the Catamaran for all you can drink and dancing with a great crew. This was unanimously our favorite day on the trip.

Disco
We were pleasantly surprised with the Disco. We went to Margaritaville at night for the dance club one night, but we liked staying at the Iberostar better the next night at their Disco. They had a great DJ with dancers to entertain you. A lot of times clubs at resorts our boring, but I would say no matter how bad of dancer you think you are the staff will make you feel comfortable to show some moves.

Grand compared Suites and Hotel
I think if you are on a budget it is understandable to pick the other Iberostar Hotels. They were pretty nice also. If you don’t mind bumping up the budget a little bit go with the Grand. The difference in price is worth the cost. Remember you get access to all three hotels if you do the Grand. We used the lazy river at the Suites and had a good time over there for one day.

The only negative I had about my trip was with the transportation that had nothing to do with the Iberostar. It was with Jamaican Tours Limited. The guys hassled us for tips and the trip took about an hour for a 20 minute trip because we were stopping at other hotels so much. I would look for an alternate way of transportation. Once again, this had nothing to do with the Iberostar

Overall, It doesn't matter if you are trying to have a relaxing vacation or just have a more active fun time this is the place for you. We will be coming back to the Grand as soon as we can. Thank you to all the staff at the Grand. You made this experience very special for us.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtp6923
Osage Beach, Missouri
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Just got back home from the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall yesterday. It was not until I realized room service was not going to deliver my breakfast this morning that I finally rolled out of bed and went into work. The resort is beautiful, the rooms are amazing, and the food is delicious. But the thing that makes this resort stand out above all others is the staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly, courteous, and helpful. We actually changed our dinner reservation on the final night so we could go back to the Italian restaurant due to the service we received from server Avory. He created a friendly and fun environment for us to socialize and enjoy the wonderful dinner and him serenading our table was definitely a high point of the trip. If you do book a trip at this resort make sure you request Keron as your butler. We were fortunate enough to have him as ours and he without a doubt goes above and beyond expectations to guarantee you have an amazing experience. He made sure that his service was personally tailored to all the individuals in our group. He is not only an asset to the resort but he was an asset to our vacation as well.

If you book somewhere else other than Ibersostar Grand Rose Hall then you are allergic to awesome.

Thank-you all for making our vacation the best it could be.

Jon Sieker

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I was suprised with this trip by my husband for my birthday and didn't know anything about it until the day before we left. This is truly a 5 star resort with everything you need. Wonderful staff in all areas of the hotel. No pressure to tip but I'm sure very appreciated and they certainly deserve it! No problem getting a chair by the pool, but get up a little early if you want a prime spot with shade. Beautiful room, great views, butler, stocked fridge in your room.... They decorated our room with balloons and a banner for my birthday and had champagne ready for us two nights in a row. Super Fabulous!!!! Don't forget to visit the pool bar and have Morris Day make you a top shelf margarita or tell him to surprise you.

The food in all the restaurants were good, even the buffets. Our favorite was the Italian (try the sea bass!) and the Gourmet. Don't be shy to ask for more than one item if you see 2 items that you can't decided between. Also, when we were there all 4 restaurants were open every night. They said when it's slow they may close some on certain nights or rotate which ones are open. You can make your dinner reservations in advance before you go to get a time that you want but really your butler can do it for you when you get there.

Just a GREAT, GREAT vacation! Make sure you book the Grand. It's adult only and WONDERFUL!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!