The George Hotel
Agoda.com
  • Pool
$115
getaroom.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnorth tynethree stara la carte menuhadrian's wallweekend breakbar mealsrestaurant stafflovely settingsteam roomoverlooking the riverchesters roman fortkippersenjoyable stayleisure clubwell worth a visitfull englishspa facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed here with riends for a birthday. We got DBB for £100 per room, but we had to stay 2 nights. We were given our key and we walked along the old fasioned, needing revamp corridor to our dark, freezing room. The corridor door had no slow return so everytime it someone went through (all through the night) it woke you up. I complained and we were upgraded to a much nicer superior room. This should have been offered on the first night when I asked about it. The food was awful, 3 choices for starter (all cold or soup), bland main courses, and puddings where the custard doesn't have custard. The cheese board ran out of cheese and grapes so they attempted to serve 3 slices of the same cheddar to us. Breakfasts are small and lack the Northumbrian style of black pudding and Northumbrian sausage, instead you get cheap ones.

This hotel used to have a great reputation, but it has faded into obscurity. I woulkd not come back and any hotl should be alarmed at this.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank UKChris82
Reviewed November 18, 2009

It was a fair way to get anywhere, but the room was fine. food and service OK. for the price it was what you would expect. Has some history.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ar0undandab0ut
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Stayed here at the weekend with my immediate and extended family. If I had to sum this hotel up in one word, that word would be rank! The bathrooms in all the rooms we occupied needed a clean and in my room and another the toilet handles were hanging off. I also found hair in the corner of the bathroom floor, on arrival. The corridors need a repaint, as do the bar and restaurant areas. Had to wait 45 mins for my cooked breakfast in the morning and although there was a continental buffet, the selection was poor. Both evening meals were awful and the menu was very standard. The staff were polite, especially the receptionists and some of the waiting staff were faultless. I didn't feel some of the hotel staff (and a number of its guests) welcomed children. In a nutshell this hotel needs a massive overhaul. I would NEVER stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mull82
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Just come back from a 3day break at the george.After all the reviews was a bit wary.
Should not have been a great Hotel- good food- staff great and the room we got 301 was excellent.Will certainly go back

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The location is absolutely beautiful and ideal for walking the Wall! We stayed in room 315 and the noise from the corridor was dreadful, I sympathise with the guests who were booked into 314.
Room was very dusty and the whole hotel looked as if it could benefit from a visit from Aggie or the Hotel Inspector.
Shame because it was once a lovely building and is ideally situated.
I would recommend to people who wanted to walk the wall but not for a romantic interlude ..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple