“Charming beautifully situated hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Springfield, Illinois
“Charming beautifully situated hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had a very nice room with a corner window, giving us a great view of the garden and the river that runs by the hotel. We found the area very pleasant and the room comfortable. Full English breakfast was included and was very good. Our favorite hotel of this trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Denneys
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your positive review, I know which room you are talking about and I do agree the views from there are spectacular. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This place used to be lovely when owned by the Marriott and the Swallow. It's now a coast and country. The hotel itself is very dated, the leisure pool and tiny tiny gym area is appalling, it looks very dirty and run down.
The restaurant isn't what it used to be, we stayed on a half board basis and the meal choices were very disappointing. There is a set menu to choose from when half board, nothing on we liked due to dietary needs etc, so we had to pay a lot extra to eat from their other menu.
When checking out the bill was incorrect, drink ad been added on which had already been paid for at the bar-basically not the weekend we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Rooms 319 and 320 have nice views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jen W
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. I would like to state that Marriot have never managed this hotel and since we took over from the Swallow group who left the hotel in a dilipidated state, Coast and Country Hotels have invested a large amount of money into refurbishing all of the public areas and there is an ongoing refurbishment of bedrooms. I am sorry that there was nothing on the menu that was suitable for your dietary requirements. I would like to ask any future guests reading this with dietery requirements to inform Reception or the Restaurant manager upon arrival so we are aware and can cater for your needs. Once again thank you for your review

Travelers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

After seeing reviews on this I was expecting the worst with our upcoming 5 day coach holiday stay. Yes there was a skip - from nearby building work. Yes it is a long walk from some rooms to the dining room, the garden bushes a bit overgrown BUT ..,, the room was clean if a little tired, the food edible and varied, the staff helpful and friendly and they have a wonderful large garden with excellent views.of its stunning location. Come on, its a three star hotel not a five star, and the prices are good for what you receive. Given a bit more time and effort this could be a a 3 star +. I would go again anyway - its the way you prioritise what's acceotable .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NightOwl_8
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would come back.
The skip that you could be mentioning is a community bottle bank, which is never overflowing as a previous review stated. Any skips from the building work next door would never been on our premises. Once again thank you for your review.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

A bit mixed but OK overall. The reception was a bit off-hand, but improved in the morning. We were expected to find our own room (not easy) and manage our luggage and dogs on our own. A waiter came to our aid and helped. Restaurant staff were helpful and the food was good. Our room was a bit small, but nothing was wrong with it and it was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Janet E
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that you were not offered assistance with your luggage. This is a service that we aim to provide all guests at the George. Once again thank you for your review.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel with my parents and aunt and uncle - we booked 3 rooms.. I had booked this hotel as three of us were walking Hadrians Wall path and it seemed an ideal stop for the 2nd night. From the outside as you walk across the bridge, the hotel looks charming. However that's not how I would describe the rooms we were allocated which were worn and in poor repair. The bed in one of the rooms had a large rip down the middle and the sink in one of the bathrooms was cracked and badly in need of replacing. The pool area was in dire need of updating and the jacuzzi cold. We found the menu expensive and quite limited - there is no bar meals after 5pm.. My mother was unable to eat anything from the menu and we asked the waiter if an omelette could be made. The waiter returned to say the chef had refused this request. I'm not the best cook in the world but didn't think it would take much to whip up a few eggs! By the time my aunt had discovered the hair in her meal which the waiter assured us did not belong to him, we had realised this hotel was not to the standard we had expected. I could not recommend this hotel and we certainly will not be going back.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank kim h
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that your stay was not up to yours or your familys expectations. As a manager I am dissapointed that none of this was brought to my attention at the time. However I was acually working that evening assisting the Head Chef and I do remember your table. I am sorry that from the two menu's that there was nothing that your mother could eat, I do struggle to believe that she was turned down an ommelette as this is not a hard task for even the lowest trained chef. Myself or the Head Chef have no recollection of this. This is also the first I have heard of the hair aswell so I shall investigate your complaints and action some improvements. We use Trip Advisor as a tool on bettering ourself so we do read and respond to every review. Once again thank you for your review.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had a really good weekend at the George staff very friendly and polite the rooms were clean but as I read somewhere a little tired but clean bedding and towels the only complaint we had was that they stopped bar meals at 5pm so had to go find somewhere else to eat as the dining room didn't open till much later but would certainly go back

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 83traveller4
Thank you for your review, We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend at The George Hotel. The Lite Bites menu does indeed stop at 5 pm and then the TDH menu and the Ala Carte menu start again at 6.30 pm. Sorry that these timings were not suitable and that you had to go elsewhere. Once again thank you for your review.
Grimsby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at the George for two nights recently, our group had three double rooms and two singles. Yes, the place needs renovating but the facilities were fine. Our room was clean as was the bedding. The water was hot all the time, toiletries provided, also a trouser press, an iron and ironing board, and a hair dryer. Ok, not all the rooms had all the facilities but nobody suffered because of it.
There was a good choice of food at breakfast, and it was served by very friendly, helpful staff. Perhaps the evening meal could have been a bit more imaginative, but there was the opportunity to upgrade to a la carte if one wished. I personally was very happy with my food.
The situation of the hotel was perfect for our needs, such a lovely area and a pretty outlook. The place is quite quirky which I liked, different to the major chains of hotels where all the rooms are identical and sometimes clinical. The dining room overlooked the picturesque gardens , the river beyond, and a beautiful arched stone bridge.
All in all, a lovely weekend break.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank AckoandJacko
Thank you for your honest and positive review, I shall pass your comments on to the team and we hope to see you again in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Langley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,461 reviews
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!