“A Thank you to all concerned”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Arrived back last night from a trip with Shearings. This hotel the best I have stayed in with this company.The food was always hot and plentiful and really good quality The room was lovely ,very clean and comfortable.The staff were all exceedingly kind with a special mention to the young lady receptionist and the night porter. I will certainly visit again in the near future. Enid Earthy

2  Thank eenide
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for your kind words, I have seen the quality of the hotels with in our company so for you to say that ours was the best is a great compliment.
Thank you once again for leaving a review.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We have just returned, today, from The George in Chollerford. It was a wonderful break. The reception staff, the restaurant staff, the food, the location and the room made this break excellent value for money and highly enjoyable. Thanks to all at the The George, you are doing a great job and we will be back.

2  Thank Julie B

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, as a company feedback is vital and comments like these do boost morale of the team. So thank you again for your review.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We booked a 3 night stay from 14th March 2014 which was our golden wedding anniversary along with our little dog Charlie. We were put in room 219 which was ideal because I could carry Charlie through the lovely garden before his walk. The garden is not for walking dogs in, and that was fine by us. We were able to sit in a comfortable lounge with our dog. I put a blanket on the chair so that he was not directly on the chair fabric. I was not very well but managed a tasty starter of pear, blue cheese and rocket. I could not eat anything else. My husband had soup. lamb casserole and ice cream. He commented that it was first class. The following morning I felt even worse and could not eat breakfast but the other half ate a full English. About lunchtime we decided to travel back home. All the staff at this Hotel are pleasant and friendly. It was such a shame as this was to be a relaxing weekend for us. This Hotel is excellent and we hope that in the future we will visit again. The bedroom we stayed in was comfortable and well equipped. The swimming pool looked great to, but I did not use it. Many thanks to all the staff at the Hotel for making us so welcome with our dog. Jackie Scott

Room Tip: Did not see other bedrooms but I should think they are as nice as the one we stayed in
1  Thank jacqualine s

Thank you for your review, I am so sorry to hear that you was not well during your stay and had to cut your holiday short. I am glad that your husband and Charlie enjoyed the stay too. Once again thanks for your review.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed for three nights at the end of March 2014. We were given a room with an amazing view of the bridge across the north tyne but the bed turned out to be very noisy when sat on. They did move us to another room with the most comfortable bed i`ve slept on but the view was rubbish. We chose the hotel because of the Dark Skies area in Northumberland and we weren`t disappointed. Drove to Cawfield quarry car park on the first night and saw amazing stars. We spent our time on Hadrian`s Wall and the Museums which was brilliant.The food we had throughout was very good and plenty of it ,the service in the restaurant was excellent. The service on the reception desk was good if you had a female receptionist and not so good if you had a male receptionist. I wasn`t very happy with the shower. The showerhead hadn`t been cleaned for a very long time, infact it was disgusting. The room was clean although it did need a little bit of love and attention. Would I go back? Yes I think I would as it`s perfect for the Roman Wall.

1  Thank William S

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am glad that you found the bed comfy and enjoyable. The stars in this part do shine bright and you can see a variety of activity on a night time from such places. The shower head has since been descaled as these are done every couple of months, sorry that it was not up to your standards. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights DBB the first week in March.
First impressions were good. Lovely welcome from the staff who we're cheerful and chatty . Booked through Coast and Country on what was a brilliant deal.
The room booked was a standard room and we were upgraded to a lovely 4 poster bed room with siting area and en suite. Obviously had been quite recently refurbished as there were little bits and pieces of finishing off jobs to been done!
The food was very good and the staff again very attentive. A good variety was offered on the fixed menu and if you wish could upgrade to al la carte for a small extra charge. Which we did!!
What we notice there were a lot of older clientele. There was no evening anything, although there was a good size bar ( a little pricey) We thought oh well there's a pool and leisure facilities available which was one of the main factors in choosing this hotel. We went once it was just disappointing. Unloved and tired in need of major tlc and a good clean. We never used the pool again!! Although others did.
All in all a lovely location, use the George Hotel as a base to explore Hadrians Wall and beautiful Northumberland ( sh! Keep this quiet) as a proud Geordie there's no place like home.
Good value for money and the staff made the difference for us. It'll be grand again with tlc. Squeaky clean. All I can say is floorboards!!
Go and find out for yourself we would go again.
Good luck

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Roynaa
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a good stay and that you appreciated your complimentary upgrade. Unfortunately with the leisure club being unmanned at busy periods (which we have been experiencing recently) it can appear unkept untill it is checked by management. We are currently working on the gardens and seating areas so when you come back you will be able to relax hopefully in the sunshine too. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Nice place views great next to the water. Good for walking ( bad if you have problems walking).

I booked a ground floor room with disabled parking. Only to get a room with lots of steps and quite a distance to walk to the bar or for food. I complained and the staff said there was nothing they could do as I had been in the room now and housekeeping would not let them move us!!! ( sorry I thought housekeeping didn't run hotels)

On Bookings.com it states wifi in all areas, this is a lie, it's only in the reception area and very close proximity. When I complained about this I got told it was a new issue, however reading in the info book in the room it states wifi only in one area. At the local tourist info they asked about the hotel and they said people had complained about the wifi and how dated the hotel was.

I complained again the next day after having lots of people banging the door outside our room, to go to theirs at 11.30, I gave the poor girl called Lucy on reception a list of reasons why I was unhappy with the booking. She was very nice and tried to sort it out for me. Within an hour I was moved to a nice room above the reception desk, only a few steps up, so not so bad, closer to the bar and breakfast. As it was above the reception area I had wifi, to be able to do my coursework, which helped a lot.

Lots of long corridors throughout the hotel, nothing they can do about this it's the way the building is. Some rooms are a bit dated and could do with a good freshen up, the shower in our first room only dripped out, and was either hot or cold not middle temp!!
The food was ok, better the first night, however the chilli sauce with our meal was missing and after asking where it was I was told they had ran out, so I didn't enjoy my starters, the second night they were very busy, food not so nice, not the same chips, must of ran out of the nice ones and had cheap French fries instead, after a very long wait for food.

The pool area was nice and relaxing, not as nice as the pictures, they must of been taken a couple of years ago, half the lockers are broke and look really bad.
The garden was very nice, shame the sun wasn't out as I think this would of been great to sit out, on a nice evening, instead everyone was cramped into a small room and no where near enough seating for half the guests to sit.
If you want a cheap happy go lucky stay it's a nice place to stay, if you want something really nice, I would have to say its a maybe, there are some really nice parts of the hotel, and could be relaxing if your not next to fire doors banging.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that you had issues with your room. Unfortunately due to the layout we do not have groundfloor rooms as you found out. Unfortunately the Wifi is a battle at the moment having tried to get the supplier to fix on numerous occasions. I am struggling to come to terms with your comments regarding housekeeping as I do agree they certainly do not run the hotel and I shall certainly look into why this was said. The lockers in the leisure club have been made so that there is an adaquate amount of perfectly working lockers and also some lockers without locks for people that do not wish to lock their stuff away. Once again thank you for your review

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My daughter and I shared a double room here for 1 night just before Christmas and it was awful. The bath was not dirty, but looked it, enamel gone in places,so black bits here and there, and rusty round the plug hole. The toilet handle was hanging out of the wall. The shower water temperature was either freezing or scalding. The towels were thin and threadbare. The room had a connecting door with the next room and we could hear every word our neighbours said, not just noise, but we could actually (and reluctantly), follow the conversation word for word. It is not their fault that they talked untill about 2am but It meant that we that we had a very disturbed night.

I have paid much less to stay in infinitely better decorated dooms, like ones with matching lampshades that weren't coming apart.

The food was OK and also those staff in the restaurent with whom I had contact. Why did they not tell me that you settle your bill at the bar?, (machine not working by the way), instead of ignoring me when I tried to get their attention in order to settle up.

We mentioned all of this the next day as we paid our bill and the receptionist could hardly have been less interested. Must hear it a lot.

I was so dissappointed, because 33 years ago, I had my wedding reception there and in those days it was a quality venue

Room Tip: Don't bother going here
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Val H
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I do feel that since you stayed with us 3 months ago we have made improvements to the hotel which have been noticed and commented on. I am sorry that the service in the restaurant and at reception was not up to your standard.
Once again thank you for the review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!