“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family and I wanted to go to Northumberland to discover Roman walks and to explore the history of the area and to visit Hadrians Wall. We searched a number of hotels and come across the George Hotel in Chollerford and we are so glad we did. The staff were really pleasant and the room we were allocated was one of the highest standard. We decided during our stay to go on numerous walks, we got all the information we needed from the hotel staff who were very informative about the local area. I cannot fault the hotel for food and the cleanliness of the rooms and the bonus was the fitness room and the spa facilities. Just what we needed after a long day was to relax in the hotels Jacuzzi and swimming pool. We would highly recommend this hotel and we would not hesitate in booking this hotel again if we were in the area. Situated only 25 minutes from Newcastle it was the ideal spot. Thank you the George Hotel you made our stay a very enjoyable one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Andrew, Thank you for your very kind and honest review, It is always a pleasure for my self and the team at the George to read such reviews. The Northumberland is an amazing place for children and even adults to learn the history of the roman era, Chester’s Roman fort is a short walk away and it is a fun day out for the family.
I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities at the George and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
HARROGATE
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The George is certainly a three star hotel and one should not expect 4 star luxury. However we spent a happy four day break there this week on a half-board basis.

The setting is superb, the airy dining room looks out on to very pleasant gardens on the banks of the Tyne. The gardens could do with a little TLC, but I think the management have a 'work in progress'. While we were there the water fountains began to play again, and there were signs of gardening! There is a broken-down greenhouse and an abandoned putting green around the corner. I think making these work again would be a big asset. There is also a swimming pool etc in the grounds which is OK, but could be cleaner, I think it would help if everyone showered before going in!There is a small gym attached but it ,like the swimming pool is not supervised. However we found it alright for a quick swim at the end of the day.

Our room was 315 and I agree with the reviewer who said it was very hot, being over the kitchen with a window which only opens a little. I would not liked to have it in very hot weather, as there is no air conditioning. It was a standard plus room, but the furniture was extremely cheap and inadequate. Fortunately there was an iron and ironing board, so we just used our cases for most things.' which was probably better. We looked at some standard rooms and to me they looked better furnished, in dark wood. Maybe whoever is the designer thinks melamine is the 'in' thing. We certainly prefered the old stuff. However to the good points: the room was extremely clean, the bed comfortable and the en suite was great. Towels were changed on request, and were nice, fluffy and white. Toileteries were provided.

The restaurant:- This was a very pleasant room and the service was superb, the staff could not do enough for you. I think you do have to remember what you have paid for, and not expect 4 star food for 3 star bargain prices. Breakfast was good, plenty of choices of cereal and fruit juice,
with a limited fresh fruit choice, some nice yoghurt. We were divided about the main course, I thought it was fine but my partner thought the traditional English breakfast was not up to standard
but that one of the several alternatives, egg and gammon on toast was very good.Toast and croissants are available.

Dinner was fine. Every night there was choice of three starters, three main courses plus a vegetarian dish and a salad and then three desserts. Although it was obvious that some of the food , especially the desserts, came from catering packs, there was nothing wrong with it and the portions were good.

There is little to do after dinner, except drink, chat or watch TV, but as we had been out all day, followed by a swim that was fine by us

The nearby attractions are many, and we had a very enjoyable break

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheila P
Sheila, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this honest and positive review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the George and that everything was up to your expectations. We have generally had good feedback regarding the new furniture in the standard plus rooms, maybe next time you stay call us directly at the time of booking and we will do our utmost to give you the room that is furnished perfectly for you.
Alston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We booked to stay at The George as we were attending a wedding in the area. We arrived early to have lunch before the wedding. The menu was limited, the only option for children was fish fingers. We ordered some sandwiches and toasties. This took 45 mins to arrive! And the hotel wasnt even busy. When the food came it was average.
We booked a family room but when we got in there was only 2 single beds. We made this aware to the man on reception who did get a fold up bed for us but meant me and my husband were in 2 single beds. The room was ok. Only one bedroom window opened which meant the room was very hot. The decor was tired.
I left the wedding early in the evening to take my children to bed. As we had eaten early at the reception I was a bit hungry and thought I would order room service, only to find out they don't do it.
At breakfast we turned up and waited a few minutes for someone to seat us but hey didn't so we just sat down. The waiter was miserable and didn't once smile. We order 3 full breakfasts, he didn't ask how we wanted the eggs and it was only when he brought the toast that we said how we wanted them. The breakfast was poor. You got a slice of bacon, beans, egg, tomato and a pitiful small sausage which was disgusting. We had to paid extra to have mushrooms, and black pudding. We weren't offered any sauce which my son wanted. My daughter had scrambled egg on toast, and there was hardly any there.
There is no wifi in the rooms and when I tired to use it in the reception it wouldn't work.
The only positive comment I can make is the waiter on the bar. He was helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I am disheartened that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. I do recall the Saturday that you stayed and I disagree in the fact that the hotel was quiet; the hotel was busy on the afternoon due to it being a sunny day and everyone wishing to use the gardens for food and drinks. I am not aware of the problems with the room but I do apologise for the mix up. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do read and reply to all reviews and use them to better our product for future guests.

Travelers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

the hotel is looking very tired and is very understaffed. Every time you go to the bar you have to wait or go to reception as there's no one behind the bar, they ran out of ice for whatever reason (I didn't even bother asking why). The garden area is absoloutely covered in cigarette ends (no ashtrays or bins to be seen) tables in the garden are rarely cleared of glasses, cups ect: our room had no hot water to the w/h/b and after reporting this to 'happy' reception staff, it was the same when we left. We ate al a carte, I had the sirloin steak which I think was cooked from frozen, the chips were blanched and full of grease, and a tasteless pepper sauce which was obviously from a packet.
The dinner waiting staff were all foreign so I didn't even bother to complain as my wife doesn't like fuss, I just paid my bill and left next morning

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
John and Mo, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Unfortunately over the summer periods being in the location that we are, lunch service can go from quiet to extremely busy at the drop of a hat so staffing for this in advance can prove difficult as much as we do try. I can guarantee you that the sirloin steak is not cooked from frozen and is fresh from a local butcher, and the sauces certainly are not from a packet. Like most hotels a few of the staff in the restaurant are indeed European but they still provide efficient service and customer care, so had you mentioned your disappointed at the table or even reception rather than waiting till you got home we could of fixed the issue at the time. I do hope that the experience does not put you of staying with us in the future. Once again thank you for your review.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Travelled from Southampton to Chollerford arriving at 1730 feeling tired and desperate for a shower.
On arrival had to carry a large suitcase from the rear car park , down a flight of stone stairs and then through hotel to reception. Not an easy task belive me.
Having called for attention at reception,eventually a guy arrived stating that he was the barman and had not much idea about booking in,but that he would run through things !!
First impressions..the view from the front of the hotel across the lawn was lovely,the river Tyne at its best. However,internally the hotel was dark ,paintwork chipped and carpets looked in need of cleaning.
I had previously made the reservation which included my small dog a Lhasa Apso, so expected a ground floor room, however what I did not expect was a room which had only one ceiling lamp,obviously taken energy saving to the extreme. The carpet had not been hoovered,the rear of the door was scratched obviously by previous dogs trying to get out or was it their owners, As the window did not open fresh air was not available which would account for the mould around the metal frame.
The bathroom floor tiles were cracked which did not entice me to shower at all.
The room had an adjoining door which was not soundproof, so small mercy that it was not the Honeymoon suite!!
The furniture was tired and worn,so all in all not a good impression.
I immediately returned to the reception and pointed out to the 'barman'that I was not happy about the standard of the room and I feel he was relieved when the manager turned up.
I repeated my concerns and asked for the carpet to be hoovered.
Bearing in mind my partner and I had just spent close on 7 hours driving North and were feeling tired,hungry and very disappointed that the room we had been allocated was sub standard.
After some 20 minutes of waiting for a chamber maid, I returned to reception and informed the manager that we would be checking straight out.
I returned to the bedroom walking through the hotel and I was amazed at just how battered the door frames,walls and stairwell were. This hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment.
I recently stayed in a17th century hotel in Exeter which was advertised as a 3 star hotel, in comparison The George should be inspected and re graded.
The manager did offer a bedroom which they did not usually allow dogs in, but somehow we should not have had to be offered alternative accommodation.
All in all, What should have been a 4 day mini break turned out to be a 600 mile day out.
Additional charges for dogs is standard and totally acceptable, but surely the customer deserves to have a room which has been cleaned,aired and more importantly inviting.
The location is lovely,the surrounding area has lots to offer, come on 'Shearings Holidays Ltd' get cracking .

Room Tip: Choose a room to the front with views of the river Be prepared to carry your luggage some distance...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank June A
June, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that after your journey from Southampton you found immediate problems with the room. Room 101 is situated right next to the rear car park and is actually the easiest room in the hotel for carrying luggage to and from. Unfortunately, like you were told at the time of booking we do have designated dog rooms, these rooms are situated next to entrances to the outside areas for obvious reasons. I did indeed see the room and do somewhat agree with your comments regarding the carpet but you were told at the time of mentioning to reception, that there was no housekeeping staff on site at that time and the room would be serviced as soon as possible.
I am sorry that the complimentary upgrade to another room was not satisfactory and you felt the need to travel home to Morpeth. We do take reviews very seriously at the George Hotel so we thank you for your comments
Kidderminster, Worcestershire
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It doesn't do to go to The George in hot weather, especially if, like us, you get a room over the kitchen area. The windows in our room scarcely opened and this meant that despite it being a nice room, we got hotter and hotter as the week went by. There is also no air conditioning or fans in the dining room. The decor is also a little tired in places, but some refurbishment has gone on.

We found the waiter/waitress set up a bit odd. They do not have allocated tables but all contribute to your service. This means they are not very communicative and speed here there and everywhere. Several were dour rather than friendly. The young barman from Liverpool, however, is smart, very friendly and very good at his job.

The riverside setting is lovely, but avoid rooms above the kitchen. Ours was 316. PS Chesters Roman Fort is about 10 minutes walk away, although no one will tell you this. PPS The Crown in the next village sells drinks cheaper than The george.

Room Tip: Third floor but not over the kitchen area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
John, Thank for the honest review. Unfortunately the bedroom that you were staying in and indeed the restaurant have windows that attract the sun throughout the day. We do have plenty of electric fans at reception and are more than happy to set these up in guest’s rooms in extremely hot weather. Chester’s Roman Fort is indeed a short walk away from the hotel and is an amazing experience. There are plenty of leaflets and information in the public areas and also the hotel information in the bedrooms. I shall pass your comments on to the bar and restaurant. Once again John thanks for taking the time to leave your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked dinner, bed and breakfast at this local hotel as a birthday treat for my partner. The George is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location on the banks of the Tyne and I thought it would be the perfect venue for a romantic birthday weekend. We were both really looking forward to the occasion. I booked online through Booking.com and received a confirmation by email. However, when my partner and I checked in at the hotel we were told there was no room for us. I showed the receptionist a copy of the email but she again said no booking had been made. We were offered alternative accommodation, but this was just a room above a pub in a nearby village, which was no substitute for a nice hotel with a swimming pool in such a romantic location. We declined the offer and made our dissatisfaction clear. I asked to speak to the manager. I was told he wouldn't be available for a couple of days but that my complaint would be passed on to him and that someone would ring me to sort something out.

We went home and unpacked, obviously upset, our weekend was ruined. I rang Booking.com who confirmed the booking had been made and the George should have honoured it.

I expected a phone call from the George on the following Monday. When none was forthcoming I rang them and was told the message hadn't been passed on, the manager wouldn't be available until Thursday, and that someone would ring me after they'd spoken to him.

I have now contacted the George FIVE times asking to speak to the manager, each time being told he was not available "but don't worry, we haven't forgotten you" and "don't worry, someone will call you back". I am still waiting for the courtesy of a call back, almost five weeks after making the complaint.

I tried a different tactic. I thought if I wrote directly to the manager he would be sure to reply. However almost four weeks after sending my letter, I have still heard nothing from the George.

I am absolutely disgusted that the manager and staff consider my complaint to be so unimportant that it did not even merit a response!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 127MrsT
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I am sorry that you felt the customer care at the George was not up to your standard, The problem with the booking was down to a fault with an external booking provider which has since been dealt with. We have not had any problems of the same nature since. Thank you for your review
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Battlesteads Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!