“Very very disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Very very disappointed”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Travelled from Southampton to Chollerford arriving at 1730 feeling tired and desperate for a shower.
On arrival had to carry a large suitcase from the rear car park , down a flight of stone stairs and then through hotel to reception. Not an easy task belive me.
Having called for attention at reception,eventually a guy arrived stating that he was the barman and had not much idea about booking in,but that he would run through things !!
First impressions..the view from the front of the hotel across the lawn was lovely,the river Tyne at its best. However,internally the hotel was dark ,paintwork chipped and carpets looked in need of cleaning.
I had previously made the reservation which included my small dog a Lhasa Apso, so expected a ground floor room, however what I did not expect was a room which had only one ceiling lamp,obviously taken energy saving to the extreme. The carpet had not been hoovered,the rear of the door was scratched obviously by previous dogs trying to get out or was it their owners, As the window did not open fresh air was not available which would account for the mould around the metal frame.
The bathroom floor tiles were cracked which did not entice me to shower at all.
The room had an adjoining door which was not soundproof, so small mercy that it was not the Honeymoon suite!!
The furniture was tired and worn,so all in all not a good impression.
I immediately returned to the reception and pointed out to the 'barman'that I was not happy about the standard of the room and I feel he was relieved when the manager turned up.
I repeated my concerns and asked for the carpet to be hoovered.
Bearing in mind my partner and I had just spent close on 7 hours driving North and were feeling tired,hungry and very disappointed that the room we had been allocated was sub standard.
After some 20 minutes of waiting for a chamber maid, I returned to reception and informed the manager that we would be checking straight out.
I returned to the bedroom walking through the hotel and I was amazed at just how battered the door frames,walls and stairwell were. This hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment.
I recently stayed in a17th century hotel in Exeter which was advertised as a 3 star hotel, in comparison The George should be inspected and re graded.
The manager did offer a bedroom which they did not usually allow dogs in, but somehow we should not have had to be offered alternative accommodation.
All in all, What should have been a 4 day mini break turned out to be a 600 mile day out.
Additional charges for dogs is standard and totally acceptable, but surely the customer deserves to have a room which has been cleaned,aired and more importantly inviting.
The location is lovely,the surrounding area has lots to offer, come on 'Shearings Holidays Ltd' get cracking .

Room Tip: Choose a room to the front with views of the river Be prepared to carry your luggage some distance...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank June A
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
June, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that after your journey from Southampton you found immediate problems with the room. Room 101 is situated right next to the rear car park and is actually the easiest room in the hotel for carrying luggage to and from. Unfortunately, like you were told at the time of booking we do have designated dog rooms, these rooms are situated next to entrances to the outside areas for obvious reasons. I did indeed see the room and do somewhat agree with your comments regarding the carpet but you were told at the time of mentioning to reception, that there was no housekeeping staff on site at that time and the room would be serviced as soon as possible.
I am sorry that the complimentary upgrade to another room was not satisfactory and you felt the need to travel home to Morpeth. We do take reviews very seriously at the George Hotel so we thank you for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Kidderminster, Worcestershire
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It doesn't do to go to The George in hot weather, especially if, like us, you get a room over the kitchen area. The windows in our room scarcely opened and this meant that despite it being a nice room, we got hotter and hotter as the week went by. There is also no air conditioning or fans in the dining room. The decor is also a little tired in places, but some refurbishment has gone on.

We found the waiter/waitress set up a bit odd. They do not have allocated tables but all contribute to your service. This means they are not very communicative and speed here there and everywhere. Several were dour rather than friendly. The young barman from Liverpool, however, is smart, very friendly and very good at his job.

The riverside setting is lovely, but avoid rooms above the kitchen. Ours was 316. PS Chesters Roman Fort is about 10 minutes walk away, although no one will tell you this. PPS The Crown in the next village sells drinks cheaper than The george.

Room Tip: Third floor but not over the kitchen area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
John, Thank for the honest review. Unfortunately the bedroom that you were staying in and indeed the restaurant have windows that attract the sun throughout the day. We do have plenty of electric fans at reception and are more than happy to set these up in guest’s rooms in extremely hot weather. Chester’s Roman Fort is indeed a short walk away from the hotel and is an amazing experience. There are plenty of leaflets and information in the public areas and also the hotel information in the bedrooms. I shall pass your comments on to the bar and restaurant. Once again John thanks for taking the time to leave your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked dinner, bed and breakfast at this local hotel as a birthday treat for my partner. The George is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location on the banks of the Tyne and I thought it would be the perfect venue for a romantic birthday weekend. We were both really looking forward to the occasion. I booked online through Booking.com and received a confirmation by email. However, when my partner and I checked in at the hotel we were told there was no room for us. I showed the receptionist a copy of the email but she again said no booking had been made. We were offered alternative accommodation, but this was just a room above a pub in a nearby village, which was no substitute for a nice hotel with a swimming pool in such a romantic location. We declined the offer and made our dissatisfaction clear. I asked to speak to the manager. I was told he wouldn't be available for a couple of days but that my complaint would be passed on to him and that someone would ring me to sort something out.

We went home and unpacked, obviously upset, our weekend was ruined. I rang Booking.com who confirmed the booking had been made and the George should have honoured it.

I expected a phone call from the George on the following Monday. When none was forthcoming I rang them and was told the message hadn't been passed on, the manager wouldn't be available until Thursday, and that someone would ring me after they'd spoken to him.

I have now contacted the George FIVE times asking to speak to the manager, each time being told he was not available "but don't worry, we haven't forgotten you" and "don't worry, someone will call you back". I am still waiting for the courtesy of a call back, almost five weeks after making the complaint.

I tried a different tactic. I thought if I wrote directly to the manager he would be sure to reply. However almost four weeks after sending my letter, I have still heard nothing from the George.

I am absolutely disgusted that the manager and staff consider my complaint to be so unimportant that it did not even merit a response!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 127MrsT
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I am sorry that you felt the customer care at the George was not up to your standard, The problem with the booking was down to a fault with an external booking provider which has since been dealt with. We have not had any problems of the same nature since. Thank you for your review

Travelers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lovely location right on Hadrians Wall . Friendly, comfortable, sweet gardens leading down to a river. Leisure club with pool and sauna. We got half board for 60 a night which was such great value. Good flexible menu. Was really pleased with our experience. Would go back.

Room Tip: Looking out on river is good and you get a lovely sound at night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write an honest and positive review, We read all of our reviews and take them seriously and when they are as kind as this it does make it an enjoyable task. The George is well known for its great value money.
We are glad to hear that you would come back, We look forward to it.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in a stunning setting and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, The bedroom was clean and comfortable even though the decor of the rooms is dated and our room looked out onto the river and gardens.

The food in the restaurant was very good indeed with quick pleasant service so all in all we had a most enjoyable time and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review, I shall pass your comments on to the team and we look forward to seeing you at the George in the future.
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel value for money,location is super
and rooms adaquite ask for river view in new rooms.food top notch and cant fault the staff only thing is bar prices a little high but great barman.great time will return

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank johnsned537
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment; we are very pleased that your stay met your expectations. We are also very happy to hear that you will return to the George hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived at the George restaurant to be greeted by a foreign sounding lady who was not very chatty but give a very efficient and excellent service matched by the view and the stetting right on the wonderful river Tyne. I can’t understand some previous comments about the food here as we were a little worried but the Sunday lunch we had was supreme I had the George platter 3 different meats absolutely fantastic.
Maybe a new chef or he had a bad day but our experience was wonderful 5 stars for value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dave t
Thank you very much for your comment and we are very pleased to hear that our restaurant met your expectations. It is great to read such good comments and we agree that we too do not understand some of the very negative comments regarding our cuisine as the majority of guests compliment us upon the taste and variety of the food we serve. We hope to see you again in the near future for another Sunday lunch; or perhaps a holiday!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
Matfen Hall
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!