The George Hotel
$91
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnorth tynethree stara la carte menuhadrian's wallweekend breakbar mealsrestaurant stafflovely settingsteam roomoverlooking the riverchesters roman fortkippersenjoyable stayleisure clubwell worth a visitfull englishspa facilities
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Have just returned from 3 nights at the George. The room was reasonably spacious, the furniture was a little tired but the beds and bathroom were spotless.
The table d'hote meals included in the price were varied, offering good choice and were very pleasant. A la carte menu was available at a supplement but we never felt the need to pay for the extra choice. The staff in the dining room are excellent- friendly and efficient !
The reception rooms and bar in the hotel are comfortable. Coffee, tea and snacks are available throughout the day at prices which compare very favourably with local cafes.
The surrounding countryside is beautiful and there are many local areas of interest.In short, we enjoyed our stay and will be returning in future

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneC912
GeorgeChollerford, Luke Binks, Assistant Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Thank you for such a kind review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read you were more than happy with your stay and that you found us to be an excellent Shearing’s hotel! I will personally pass your kind compliments on to my team to let them know to keep up the good work. Next time you need a room remember you can always book the good old fashioned way directly with one of the reservation team at the hotel by calling us directly for the best rates.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband booked 1 nights stay at this hotel for my birthday. On arrival we were told that the hotel had overbooked and that we were being sent to another 12miles away. We asked why we hadn;t been contacted by phone regarding this and were told that someone had tried that morning - I had been home at this time and on our return no calls were logged on our phone. The hotel we were sent to was very grand and a golf resort hotel - not what we would have chosen. The drinks were very expensive and the food choices limited unless you were prepared to pay a supplement. On arrival we were told that we were expected to pay the agreed price of £99.00 for b.b.&em and that the price difference would be paid by The George Hotel. This to me seemed unfair as we were ending up paying the same price and had been inconvenienced and paid extra for our drinks. However customer services for this hotel didn't agree and felt that the up-grade was enough. There have since been several communications going backwards and forwards and we are hopeful that a agreement can be made. I certainly wouldn't feel confident booking this hotel again so we'll never know what it's really like. There were four other people in front of us at Reception in the same situation.

Room Tip: Double check that you actually have one!!!!
Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Tugi
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for your review, unfortunately we were overbooked on that occassion which unfortunately does happen in hotels. The 4 star hotel that we outbooked you too and paid the excess amount of is an amazing hotel and golf resort. Thank you for your review

Reviewed April 16, 2012

People who have booked this hotel via shearings which the brochure says includes 3 course dinner, beware. The menu has changed 3 weeks ago, and now you get a main course and either choose a starter or dessert because they are now charging £4 per person if you want an extra course, we and another couple complained and said we are not paying it, as we were not informed when we booked or before we came. The prices are too high for the tasteless soup on the first night, and tasteless pannacotta sweet. So check before you go. Also if you are given twin room 104 well good luck. It was more the size of a single room. The breakfasts need a lot to be desired as well. On a good comment the main courses have improved and the staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 300 are ones with views, but beware the corridor creaks. Rooms 102 and 104 overlook the back yard, but are quiet. ie no rooms above or below. 104 should only be classed as a single
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank trixmax
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn you did not enjoy your time with us. We strive to ensure that everyone has a great time and leave us with the wish to come back. We often get praise for our food and service, however in this case I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We now offer a 3 course meal with the option of upgrading to a fresh seasonal al la carte menu with a slight extra charge.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights, as part of a 5 day Shearings coach tour from the South East coast,at the end of January 2012 for a princely sum of £99 each for the complete package that included free wine with dinner and free bar. The cost also included a full day trip to Durham,with a guided tour of the city and another full day trip to sites on Hadrians Wall. An absolute bargain.There were a few problems with the heating in the room in the mornings that were resolved by a phone call to reception and the dining room was chilly at times but it was the middle of winter! A very hard frost on some mornings . Food was very good and well presented.Staff were helpful and friendly.We could not have achieved a break for 99 pounds each if we had driven all the way up from the south coast and had booked independent accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and the honest comments about our hotel. Reception is always one button away to help with anything during you’re stay. I and the staff are very happy you enjoyed you’re stay with us at the hotel. As a hotel we aim for the highest standards of customer care and service. I am glad you enjoyed you’re stay, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The shower kept going from cold to scalding hot. The room door was left open by cleaners, and next to the fire escape door which was also left open. The television had a very poor reception, and no choice. There was lipstick on a mug on the tea tray when we arrived. I wrote dust dust dust on the TV screen and under the TV, and it was still there when we left. No furniture had been moved to clean underneath for months. There were spider’s webs on the back of the curtains. The location was great, as were the dining room and reception staff. I wrote to the company, and was very disappointed with the reply, as I got the impression no action was to be taken about the cleaning. I don’t think they care, so we shan’t be going back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Vince S

Thank you for your review, I have duly noted the problems with your room I wish you had brought this to my attention at the start of your stay then I would have ensured that you received a different room. I can assure you that I take hygiene extremely seriously and have already spoken to the Head Housekeeper and housekeeping team about this not being acceptable. Our customer care team work extremely hard to ensure they resolve any guest issues. If you were not satisfied with their response, you could have rang to speak to myself about the problems during you’re stay. This situation clearly upset you, for which we apologise.