“Dirty rooms, but lovely venue...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highfield Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Dirty rooms, but lovely venue...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

We stayed here last night for my work Christmas party. Very pretty hotel and the room where we had our meal was nice. Food was very good particularly considering there was over 80 of us, not standard Christmas party fayre.
However all of this was completely let down by the standard of our room.

There were lots of dark hairs in the shower - looked like someone had had a hair cut in there.

The double bed was against the wall, meaning I had to climb over my partner to get in/out

The hospitality tray was filthy - glasses had finger prints and lip marks

There was staining on the carpet that looked like blood and other selections of stains on the valance and bed cover

The shower door was broken and fell off when you opened/closed it

The whole room was thick with dust and cobwebs. I also heard similar reports from my colleagues. However to top all of this off we experienced the weirdest situation ever:

The door handle fell off our bedroom door in the afternoon, which when we reported to reception were told that the guy, who had just served us drinks in the bar, wasn't able to fix it as he wasn't a handyman. We went downstairs to the party having locked our valuables in the safe and our door closed but unlocked. Later in the evening my partner went up to the room to drop something off and ended up being locked in the room as the door handle had fallen off on the outside!! The phone despite being labelled with various numbers didn't appear to connect to anyone and the only hotel number he could find was a central bookings number. After being trapped in the room for over half an hour he ended up having to break a panel out of the door to get out. To cut a very long story short the problem was finally resolved and a brand new handle fixed on - although not sure why this wasn't done in the first place.

The problems were dealt with by the staff quickly and they were all quite friendly. Strangely enough I was asked to fill out a feedback form on checking out, but I would love to know what De Vere do with these... There seem to be a number of reviews on here that question the cleanliness of the rooms. A small counter to this is that the rooms don't appear to cost a lot on the weekends, so we didn't have huge expectations, but I do feel cleanliness shouldn't be compromised whatever the cost.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

Brilliant location, Michelle was the best with helping to assist throughout the wedding prep, allowing nothing to faze her during the months leading up to the day.

The hotel was spotless the staff so friendly as providing a superior level of customer service to all before and on the day and as a London-wide Customer service trainer I know excellent customer service when I see it.
David the MC on the day allowed nothing to flap him any last minute changes such as extra guests, change in menu choices and over running speeches he and his team took in his stride dealt with ease. I short my friends and family said it was not only one of the most beautiful locations but also the best service, and we are a group of well travelled adults.

I would reccomend this wonderful venue to anyone thinking of getting married or even just going there for a romantic night away. I cannot thank them enough for making my and my new husbands day a day to remember.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Bracknell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

having stayed in many travel lodges i would say highfield park is bellow the quality of them! il let the pictures do the talking that i will attach!
over all i would not recomend the stay!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Heckfield hotels

Croydon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I had booked a double room in connection with a family wedding. When my wife and I checked in the room key was handed to me without comment. (The room was in a separate 'stable block' some way from the reception area.) On getting to the room I found that it was a single, not a double. I phoned reception and it was confirmed that the room was a single. I pointed out that I needed a double. The duty manager showed me the available double rooms. Both had a double bed that was up against a wall - difficult for one person to get in and out of bed. These were the only choices available. I wanted to go home but my wife insisted that we stay. The duty manager agreed that there would be no charge for the stay.

Outside the room there was an extractor vent. I requested that the fan be turned off. There was a conference syndicate room opposite with its lights on (at 10.00 pm) and I asked for these to be turned off. The room temperature was over 26°C with no air conditioning. I asked for a fan which was provided. We had to sleep with the window open even though there was a flat room immediately outside. The temperature never dropped below 26°C.

I left the hotel with some insect bites on my leg that were not there when I arrived.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
South Croydon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed in the Main house, room was small and television in an awkward position,
Breakfast was buffet style and the cooked breakfast looked nice, but was cold.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed here for a friends wedding and I was very impressed with the beautiful location and building. The rooms were small but clean. Breakfast was good, with a nice selection of food. The downside was that as it was a nice evening and we were outside we were pestered with wasps from a nest near the hotel. As the evening wore on the bar staff targeted the people who they thought were tipsy, and gave them the incorrect change back. This happened to me more then once. My drinks came to £8.50, so I gave him a £20 note and he very quickly gave me £1.50 change and walked off to do something else. When I questioned him, he did not argue or look ashamed at all and gave the £10 straight back********CHECK YOUR CHANGE AND WARN OTHERS IF YOU STAY AT THIS HOTEL*********

• Stayed July 2010
Bristol,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I've been told this or overheard this at 4 different DeVere Venues now even though the in house magazine describes them as 'Venue Hotels'. I guess they use this as an excuse for the few niggly things that you query. I stayed 2 nights through one of the frequent offers they have for £19 a nt RO and as you can expect was out in the accomadation away from the main house which was still very nice as I think its a converted stable block. Room was a decent size and very tidy, although being on the first floor (with the good weather) was very hot on both nights and even with the window open, I struggled to sleep both nights. Decent size wardrobe, bizarrely with a second foldaway bed (can't believe it was for my room) but as with most venues, no storage in bedside cabinets or drawers on the desk. Internet was a bit intermittent, tennis court could do with a bit of TLC and the small outdoor pool looks as though its been c losed for some time. Now for the good bits; very friendly helpful staff throughout (i.e opening the bar back up even though they had cashed up for the night), great location and grounds to relax in (easy to find a quiet spot away from the main hotel). Had a fantastic triple deck BLT, chips and side salad from the bar menu the first night for just over £6 (sun lunch is a rather steep £19), sat out on the back terrace overlooking open countryside. Bar is very nice and standard hotel prices at around £4 a pint. Because these are essentially hotels for team building/conferences they are a bit out of the way, although a drive to Hook 5 miles away takes you past 2 or 3 nice pubs (nearest less than half a mile), garden centres and a Tescos to stock up in and its a good base to explore the bigger surrounding towns. Overall, I'd say if you can get the cheap offers by signing up to the DeVere Venues website, then you can't go wrong and without a few of the minor issues above, I would have given it a 4 overall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
The Kingsley at Eversley
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!