“Beautiful Setting - Great Value”
Review of Highfield Park

Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Setting - Great Value”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here on Friday night on a special offer. £79 included 3 course dinner, with a bottle of house wine, room,and breakfast. Exceptional value. Yes the room in fir tree court was small, but it was spotlessly clean, warm, well decorated and very comfortable. The food was excellent, both at dinner and breakfast. Already booked again on the same deal in a couple of weeks, and cant wait to go again. Glad I experienced the place for myself and wasn't put off by negative reviews!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your lovely review of Highfield Park and also your comment that you are glad previous negative reviews did not put you off. Unfortunately many people only take the trouble to write a review if they did not like something which gives a view of a minority rather than the majority so we are most grateful when our very satisfied guests also take the trouble to share their views.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Highfield shortly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Managed to get a cheap room through laterooms.com for the monthly friday night away. easy to find, lovely grounds. reception was helpful. directed us to a room that was part of another building, this was not a problem at all. Room was lovely, modern and comfy though a little on the small side.. but not a problem. for the money we paid it was excellent.
In fact,going back this friday for valentines night.. (yes, I know its the 15th, but its a lot cheaper then booking it for the 14th and also, have work..But I am a romantic at heart.. honest!!) so it must have been worthwhile.. though the price for this friday has gone up to what I would expect as normal. Would recommend hotel for a night or weekend at the most..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. we are very glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
England
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here twice in a week - both good rates at £29, but definitely flaws

Firstly, the rooms and I was in the building that you had to walk over to - remembering that I stayed on 2 very quiet nights I would have thought I'd get the best available....but on both occasions the rooms had problems. The first night, the bathroom was so slim that they couldn't properly fit a toilet and bath side by side. Very tight! And you could barely open the bathroom door to get into the bathroom. The second night I was in room 21 - and I know I'd booked a single, but the sloping roof took up half of the room. In the bathroom you couldn't stand at the sink, and they'd gone to the trouble of putting a mirror over the sink, but no adult above the height of 3 foot could have used it....and, in Room 21 all I could hear all night was the air con running.....all a bit disappointing given the place didn't have many guests

Then,the general way that the place is part of the De-Vere chain.....which I saw by staying at another De Vere in between stays here! Everything is "standard" - they must have had a million standard menu's printed and distributed.......I wouldn't mind, but to do that they've had to make the menu so easy to cook that a 16 year old on their first day could cook the whole menu!! Whilst its not to keep it simple, this is just too basic......if they are going to make it this easy then you might as well put Beans on Toast or Cheese on Toast on there. Plus - I might be losing touch, but £6+ for the cheapest glass of wine and £4 for the cheapest pint of lager seemed steep....

They also had an Exercise Room that I only found because I heard/felt the vibrations of the treadmill in Room 21. Again, just a sign of cost cutting - the 3 pieces of kit in there looked like home gym kit that they bought second hand from a garage sale. Small room with poor kit....why not upgrade this??

Overall - you can stay there, and for £29 its a good deal. I'd probably find a local pub to go to for dinner and a pint

Room Tip: Don't know - would stay clear of rooms around 21 with the air con....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I have responded to your comments for the reference of other trip adviser readers.

We are very pleased to see you have managed to take advantage of the great £29 room offer - as it states on the internet, these bookings are for single occupancy rooms in Fir Tree Court only and main house bedrooms are available at a supplement if you wish to pay this. Main house bedrooms are not available on the £29 rate.

As stated in many previous tripadvisor review responses, every bedroom at Highfield is a different shape and size due to the blueprint of both the 17th century main house and the converted Stables that form Fir Tree Court and this does include some sloping ceilings and different shapes - this is the character of buildings of this age and nature and cannot be changed.

The exercise room to which you refer, is exactly that and is not a full 'gymnasium'. The reason you found this 'by accident' is that we do not advertise this as an official leisure facility due to the fact it is exactly what you say - some low cost gym equipment which we purchased at the request of some regular week long courses that are held at Highfield Park that asked if it was possible to have some basic exercise equipment on site as they do not have their own transport when with us in order to drive to a leisure facility. It is not 'cost cutting', we have never had and do not have space for a proper gym at our venue, this was actually an 'extra' put in specifically for our regular guests.

As you correctly state, we are part of the De Vere Group and our bar menus and wine lists are produced by our Head Office and offered throughout all venues, as is the case with most groups in the hospitality industry. We also however offer a Table D'hote menu that is written by our own on site Head Chef, offering the choice of one, two or three course at excellent value. This menu changes every night for which we always receive very favourable feedback.

Regarding the cost of wine, I can advise that , as per our 'De Vere Group' wine list , our cheapest 175ml glass of wine is £4.90 which is comparable to all public houses in our locality.

I hope this clarifies things for yourself and other readers.

Travelers are raving about these Heckfield hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is the third time that we have stayed at this hotel and my complaints are some of the rooms that are sold as doubles should be classed as single, I do expect to be able to get in a double bed from either side not having the bed pushed up against the wall, the room was so very hot that we had to turn the rad off and open the window in an attempt to cool the room down, a shelf in the bathroom would be nice, food ok but have had better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of Highfield Park. As stated in response to many previous reviews due to the bedrooms being in either the 17th century mansion house or the converted stables, every single bedroom is a different shape & size as we cannot alter this. Some beds are 4ft wide which we sell as singles on the internet or for functions as doubles at a reduced rate and ensure people know this is the case when they book & choose this option.

I can also confirm there are fans available from reception if required in the bedrooms.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband & I tied the knot here in December 2012. We had the best day!
The venue was perfect and everyone enjoyed the day.
The staff are friendly and we trusted them with everything. I had nothing to worry about on the day. The food and accomodation was also superb.
Cannot recommend Highfield enough!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Orlandorocks41
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your recommendation on Trip Advisor. We are glad you had a fantastic wedding day here at Highfield Park and wish you a wonderful married life. Do come back and visit us soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed her on two occasions and the hotel amazes me with its small but nice quaint details. the cottages are really nice and there's lots of space to walk around on the grounds. i have to admit it beat my expectations....i was pleasantly surprised. I got a really good deal for £19 per night and for that price i didn't expect much but wow was I surprised. Food was also really good, ordered room service, even ordered at the bar and it was delivered to my room. Staff friendly and helpful. would definitively recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay.
Redditch
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for a 5 day IT training course, run at the venue.
Whilst I know it's a "venue" and not a proper hotel, you still expect a reasonable size room, especially when paying £120 a night. I have had larger cabins on cruise ships. Having said that, it was warm, clean and comfortable.
The grounds and setting are very scenic, but if you're in the stable block, sorry lodge, it's a 3-4 minute walk from your room to the main building. And no cover if it's raining.
The food was good, apart from the last night when I was served raw chicken. To be fair, it was changed, but really, you shouldn't need to worry about that at a "venue" that prides itself on it's food.
Would I stay here again, its possible, but only for a course, and if the company are paying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Highfield Park.

I would like to refer to your title being that your stay was expensive and confirm for readers that the £120 per night you mention for your room is actually a special inclusive rate for the Company you were training with that includes full breakfast and a 3 course meal in the evening as well as your en-suite bedroom and VAT, it is not the rate for the bedroom only.

I would also like to clarify for potential guests reading this review that the walk to the adjacent Fir Tree Court building that has been stated as a 3-4 minute walk does depend on the speed you are able or wish to walk and does vary for everyone, it can be reached in less than a minute walking at a fast pace. Parking is available directly outside Fir Tree Court should this be required by those travellers with the use of a vehicle.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!