“Lovely building, poor food”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Heckfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We ate here one Sunday evening. This is a very attractive pub with welcoming and friendly staff, so we expected the food to match. Sadly it didn't. My paella looked like a bowl of yellow rice, slightly oily and although I did find some tiny pieces of seafood and cubes of chicken, it was clearly a reheated convenience meal. The slice of garlic bread told a similar story. My partner's chicken in sweet chilli sauce was similarly underwhelming and was black -almost certainly black bean sauce, no hint of chilli there. And finally, both plates were sprinkled with dried parsley flakes. Really woeful and at £10.95 a head, not even cheap. We won't be eating there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mishkamitten
BerkshireBetty, Owner at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Being a Senior Trip Advisor Contributor I would have presumed you would have made the staff aware it was not too your liking and we could have done something about it instead of rushing back home to compile your negative review.We are a very busy successful establishment and the dishes concerned are not as you have described-surely if all those things had been wrong I personally would have asked to see myself or my husband and not been content with writing a review-I guess this is a sign of the modern media times.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The rooms are a more recent addition to the characterful pub. The country setting is reflected in the style of furnishings but the lack of art on the walls gives the room a slightly spartan air.

There are radiators but no fans or air-conditioning; the windows can be opened but the noise from the road can be intrusive.

Breakfast is served in the pub dining room. It was made to order and promptly delivered.

Pluses
Biscuits provided with in-room tea (black tea only) and coffee
Two armchairs in room
Firm mattress
Trouser press
Excellent Wi-fi throughout hotel and pub
Proper large bath sheet sized towel

Minuses
No air-conditioning
Close to road, so can be noisy
Cups for tea and coffee not mugs
Soap dispensers only toiletries
Thin curtains that don't block much light
Shower over bath
Only black tea provided in-room

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Theo C
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My whole family are regulars here due to the friendly and good service the food is superb it has a brilliant atmosphere and is suitable for most occasions I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal or a single bad experience here it comes highly recommended from me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Luke P
BerkshireBetty, Owner at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We value your review and are so pleased that you and your family enjoy visiting The New Inn.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We put two of our staff up there for a couple of nights.

There is a nearby Harvester that they used in the evening, but breakfast was first rate and everyone was friendly.

Feedback was positive and we would use the place again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Neil M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Nice country hotel, helpful and friendly staff. Would recommend with only one reservation- I was really surprised to found pub closed at 22.30. Ridiculous, especially there are no alternatives in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

we visited the New Inn for a drink one warmish Sunday afternoon...it looked very nice inside and the wine was nice as was the beer my Husband told me..so we decided last night to visit for a meal..i think as a previous reviewer has said the menu and quality of food needs to be addressed..i had Braised Steak with Onion Gravy,,i had to chase the gravy around the plate!! I was left with a very dry lump of Braising Steak..the carrots were tinned and not that nice I had one piece of Broccoli and tiniest piece of cauliflower ever!!!not that nice ...my Husband had Gammon Steak which was average the chips were positively anaemic....I have had much better for half the price..shant be going back..having said that the staff were very nice and efficient a bit to efficient we weren't giving any time between servings just to sit and chat...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The room was adequate, though in need of refurbishment. Dinner in the pub was quite good value for money. Breakfast, on the other hand was NOT good. The staff stood around like spare parts and the cooked breakfast was very poor quality - they can't do poached eggs and the sausages were the most synthetic I have ever come across and probably out of some 'value for money' catering packet. I remember the same happened last year! I suggest some INSET with regards to breakfast preparation and presentation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The New Inn? Share your experiences!