“Regular, not so 'Grand'”

Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Imbassai
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent 1 week at this hotel, and although infraestrutures are ok (not something extraordinary, just normal), service is awful.

The hotel has 3 tematic restaurants (for Rodizio, Japanees and Indian specialities). The Japanees one is awful: very badly prepared food, and very very very slow. The Indian has Indian specialities bad very poorly prepared, and the servies is very very slow. The Rodizio is the only one with good food (meat is very well prepared) and services a little bit prepared.

There are 2 buffet restaurants, with normal meals. The service is very poor (I usually had to get up to pick the jar or wine bottle and refill my glass although 3 waiters were talking and doing anything by my side).

The beach at the hotel is astonishing, although you have to walk trough a bridge (or taken by electric cars).

We had a problem with laundry service: they riuned one shirt and they just said that it came like that. What was not true, and they did not repaire the damage. Incredible: firts time it happens to me!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JM_SEN
diretoradjunto, Gerente at Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear client,

I would like to offer you our apologies for any incident that you can have had during your vacation. We respect your point of view but I would like to comment that we have personal for help our guest at all the times.

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 12, 2012

One year ago, we stayed at Grand Palladium Imbassaí and our impression was very positive as you could see in my last evaluation.
As commented before, our plan was to come back and we did it some days ago and our impression was not as good as before.
Some minor improvements was done, such as the access to the beach where they put some rocks on the floor to facilitate the access to the beach.
The biggest (and bad) changes was related to the food, previously the variety of types of food was diverse. They served every day sea food (Shrimp, cuttlefish, etc) in the lunch and the dinner and also in some dinners we could eat lobster. But now, they have eliminated this diversity and basically they only serve 2 types of fish every day and rarely we can find some cuttlefish in the paella (with more chicken than everything).
Additionaly about the food, the deserts are repetitive and there is a lack of imagination or simply they are thinking on cost reductions.
About the tematic restaurants, no changes or surprises except the fact that the one of the good 'chefs' (Marcelo) dedicated for the tempanyaki no longer works there.
It is another point we noticed, the number of replacements they made in one year. Several people left or was dismissed, including the management team. This can be a sign of the reason to cost reductions and the food was one the indications.
We usually went in the low season, where most of the guest came from Argentina, however we stayed one day during in a brazilian holiday and the another impression was the resort is not so prepared to attend high demand of guest as we could notice the lack of attendees to serve the drinks and also some people to keep the places clean. Obviously we have to consider that some guest are not so educated to use trash can to put the reast of food or even the cigarettes.

One year ago I said I would come and we did it, but asking now, I would say "no thanks", we prefer the Iberostar

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Marcelomauro

Reviewed January 14, 2012

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE. FOR THE SAME MONEY GET BETTER STUFF IN THE CARIBBEAN. UNPREPARED AND UNFRIENDLY STAFF.
While choosing the resort for our vacation, I went trough all the notes posted here, at trip advisor. As you may all see, there is a consensus that the place and facilities are awesome, but the services are far from acceptable. Still, we decided to take a chance and visit this place. For comparison, I could visit Enotel Porto de Galinhas and Iberostar, other Brazilian all inclusive resorts.
Well, and what is my opinion? Basically, the same.... But there were things that could really surprise me- for the worst. Interestingly, the general manager of the resort usually replies to the comments, with a "copy and paste" style post. Usually he writes that they are working hard to provide training and to improve quality... Well, it is taking quite some time... After all, in such a big international hotel group one would expect strong training PRIOR to opening....
All that said, let's move to the main issues:
1) Arriival and check in- OK. Normal procedures. They were out of towel cards. There is a Theater in front of the desk, so it was quite noisy.... the attending had to shout so we could hear it. Luggage was properly handled to the rooms.
2) Rooms: look new, the beds are comfortable, there is a good LCD screen with cable channels. that said, at the first glance they were very good, just like they seemed to be at the website, but.....
3) Bathroom: Here we could observe something I had never seen before, and that is EMBLEMATIC of the quality of this place. The floor was soaked with water... I assumed there was a leakage somewhere, and called the front desk. While they were sending the plumber, we went for a bite. When we got back, I was tod there was a major problem and that They would change us to another room the next morning.... I thought to my self... well, OK it's just a leakage, let's have a shower and go to bed... BUT, when I took my children to the shower I saw a large tuft of hair stick the wall, next to a sticker (which could be found in the soap plastic pack). Of course I could stand it... But it is not only disgusting , it is a fraud, in face of the price you are paying... Were I at a B&B next to the coach station, I would just ignore it... But I don't think my children and my wife should have to be there... Do you know what I reckon of it? THE BATHROOM WAS NOT CLEANED (OR AT LEAST PROPERLY CLEANED) prior to our arrival- major leak plus gross hair in the walls...
4) Main restaurants: Agdá and Oxum: Beautiful place, but the food is bland. In such a mass service I would not expect more. The waitresses are ridiculously slow, they don't know the place, they don't know the menu, they don't know the juices being offered, they don't know where the toilets are... A complete disgrace.
5) thematic restaurants: Here the food is of better quality, but the service is the same.... In the Barbecue restaurant, the meat was just average, the waiters are unprepared, I ordered a different wine and it took 20 minutes until they told they ran out of it... From the 20 options present at the wine list, just some were available... So why not put a sign on it? By the way, I picked one from those available- it took a while to be served and it was excessively chilled- someone could teach these guys how to deal with red wine??
6) Beach Restaurant: a fraud. It is not by the beach- you can't see the ocean from it. the tables are placed directly on the sand, so use sandals or go shoeless. By the way, there was an ant attack in one of the tables nearby... There is wood covering the sand for the carts to run.... Why not in the table area?? the waitress asked for our order prior to telling us what were the options.
7) Bars (all of them): The quality of the liquors and cocktails is just average, nice scotches and vodkas. Again,very few people working, long time to wait. Coconut water is placed in a machine, there is no coconut kiosk. The pool bar is the worst one, the guys working are overoaded and always fooling around. Thy never look at the counter, trying to avoid eye contact with us- it seems they are trying to hide. You must beg or talk loud to be helped with anything. They Always run out of something, and never know when it will be available again. Last day they ran out of lemon!! How can you sell caipirinhas with no lemon?
8) Entertaining: loud music and dancing, but always the same songs, and the same dances... come on guys.
9) Children entertaining: TERRIBLE. Always improvising and unprepared. I gave up the first time.
10) Fitness center: just average. the equipment is of low quality (do not expect hammer strength , life fitness or technogym), and look old, probably second hand. It is not open 24 hours. Pretty different from many less expensive hotels I've been to before. I went in the mornings, so there was no water available in any of occasions, just an empty bottle.
11) Beach: the beach it self is ok. One cannot complain about the waves or the color of the water- it is just natural. How about the access?? Is ridiculous. They made a bridge to take you to the beach with golf carts, through a preservation area. But they are never available, there is usually just one cart at a time so you have to wait for it to come back at all times.... When you get there, you have to climb a little slope and then you see the ocean. There are stretchers and some shade but they are far from the beach it self. If you want you must carry them down YOURSELF (yes that's it), with no beach umbrellas... There was a guy sitting there, just to tell us that... What a joke! There is a bar but they just had sodas, juices and beer, no water form my kids.
12) Pools: the only good thing. Thank god my children are small, so a good pool and french fries is heaven form them.
In summary, this hotel is a disgrace. Do not go there, and do not expose your family to this kind of experience.
There is a lot more to say. But I'll stop here. If you want to save this place, fire all your staff, close the doors for some time, train them and pay them well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank MVN_77

Reviewed January 12, 2012

The food is horrible - badly done, uncreative - seemsthere is no chef takinga care of it. The ingredients re fine , it is the cooking that is a mess. The beach is great, the pools are fine, the room is good. The service is patchy...at times excellent at time deplorable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Dylan R
PBRTEAM2, Manager at Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for share with us your opinion of your last stay in our Resort, for us its very important each comment that come to our attention.

In case if you need any future request please don’t hesitate to contact us, will be our pleasure to take care of you.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 17, 2011

This is a "five star" resort, but five stars in Brazil equal three or four in the Caribbean, so be prepared for a neat place, with all the basic needs covered, but nothing really outstanding. Guests are mostly Brazilian, followed by Argentinean, and practically no Europeans or Americans. As for the facilities, let's start with the food: the best fares are found at the themed restaurants, easy to book at the front desk, you can go there every day if you wish. The food on them is really outstanding, much better than in many other resorts I've stayed at the world over. There is a pretty good Japanese place (limited amounts of sushi but lots of other wonderful choices), a Hindu restaurant (strange choice for a resort, food was pretty decent), and a "speto corrido" (the Brazilian style bbq where they bring different cuts in spades until you fall off the table; this one was especially good, try the "cupim" -cebú bull's hump, a delicacy, and world-famous "picanha", and lots of delicious stuff at the cold salad bar). Service is best at the Japanese and worst at the Hindu (reeeeeaaaally slow). Note: nobody leaves any tips, and there are not even tip jars at the bars. Surprising, but I guess that's the way there, employees smile all the same. As for the buffet restaurants, they are average, and the food tends to repeat itself over and over every day, so an escape to the a la carte restaurants is a must. Most buffet salads are covered in onions so they all taste the same, and there are no luxury items such as smoked salmon but maybe for one or two days a week. Very limited overall. There is also a restaurant by the beach, buffet + some la carte options, offering great fried snapper and Moqueca de Peixe, a delicious northeastern specialty, well done. The buffet part is as bad here as at the main restaurants. You can also make a reservation and eat there a la carte in the evenings. Now why is there a restaurant at the beach? Well, beautiful and coconut lined as it is, the sand strip is at least 1000 metres (3/4 mile) away from the main resort. There are regular golf-carts driving people back and forth, but sometimes the line is so long you end up walking under the sun (there is a wood walkway joining both parts). Then you have to climb a sand dune to finally arrive at the beach. Very annoying. The beach itself it's pretty windy, which is good since the temperatures are extreme, and there are just about enough tumblers and shade for everyone in the peak hours. The dune has a pretty steep incline, so the view is good regardless what line your tumbler is at, but they put the surf school hut right in front of them, as well as the lifesaver's cabin, so you need to arrive early for the best views. The sea is pretty rough, the lifesaver always asking people to come closer to the shore. So rough no sea sports are possible but for surf, and flags are always red or yellow. Definitely fun, but definitely not recommended for young kids. In my case, I have two 9-year olds, and I was a bit stressed as the waves shook them hard. They had fun though, more than I did watching them come afloat every time. There is also a river between the resort and the beach (should I say a stream), that you are invited to kayak on, but it's not very attractive. There are also several bars (pool, beach, lobby), but beware: Very, very slow service in each one of them (people just cut the line and help themselves a beer off the tap, since all mixed drinks and even sodas take forever). Spirits are mostly premium, but sometimes you have to ask for the good stuff that's just there unopened while they pour the cheap stuff. Tip: Best drinks are at the adults-only bar. Wine sucks badly, as in most resorts, but there is a premium wine list you can buy from, and I recommend you o at least for the a la carte nights (25-50 USD for most). Beer is wonderful, always very cold. "Tea" is served every afternoon but the food is bad and limited, dry scones and such. The sports bar is pretty depressing, a couple tv's, pool tables and a fussball table, no windows and bad fried finger-food and hot dogs. Entertainment is lame, aquagym and such, nothing to write home about. The main pool is pretty nice, and the lifesaver is always checking on the little ones. Lots of space and tumblers. There is also an adult-only pool on the other side of the complex. There is a spa with outrageous prices, so we didn't try it, and a well equipped gym which we used. Also, there's a nice soccer court, but my kids didn't have a chance to play since it was mostly taken over by teenagers and adults. There is also a paddle court (no paddles available, sorry), and a tennis court (two crappy adult racquets, some punctured balls and only one kid's racquet that is probably disintegrated by now, so take your own). Really disappointing. Disappointing is also the word to describe the night entertainment. Save for the circus night, the rest is mostly very bad musical numbers, lame choreographies with dancers out of sync and bad playback singers. Instead, what really stands out is some of the troubadours that sing folk songs and play the guitar in the lobbies, excellent by all counts. Rooms are new and well kept, but forget about any special towel animals like in the Caribbean or México, and cleaning is not very thorough (sand on the room's floor will stay on the floor). Complaints (shampoo, towels, water, etc.) are quickly taken care of, but you need to do it frequently. Rest quality overall is pretty good, but tip: Should you be assigned a room close to the cleaner's deposit room, ask them to lock their windows or you'll be awaken by door slamming in the wee hours, like we did. The kid's club is hard to find (they are all over the resort so you need to check your kids early to be able to join them) and there is also a teen's club that was mostly empty the times our daughter checked. Here are some tips to make your stay more enjoyable: 1- Use lots of high-factor protection, many times a day, the sun is stronger than in the Caribbean, and you tend to see redskin tourists everywhere. 2-Exchange money for local currency at the airport, the rate at the hotel is a rip-off (you can always use your credit card or get cash at the ATM machine in the lobby, where there is a 10 Real charge for each transaction, but the rate is 40% better than the hotel's. 3-Make sure you take a Brazilian 3 prong socket converter, as the hotel has very few and people line up to recharge their cel phones and laptops. Or... nobody will tell you, but for a couple bucks you can buy the darn adaptor at the gift shop. 4. Should you rent a car to go to Salvador (very poor but picturesque) make sure you have enough local currency for the tolls, as they won't accept anything else but Reais. We had to raise hell to be allowed through, then paid both ways on the return trip after visiting the ATM at a gas station. Overall, Grand Palladium Imbassai is okay, nothing to write home about, but we had great weather, and a great time, made friends, rested a lot, and had fun. Would I go back? Probably not, you can find better options in the Caribbean or México for the same money.

Room Tip: Ask for interconnected rooms if you need them, there's plenty.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank Disfrutator

Dear Guest;

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your last stay in our resort . For us is extremely important the opinion of our guests.

I really would like if you give us another opportunity, and I truly believe that you will be positively surprised with all strides that we are doing in the hotel.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I spend 5 days at Grand Palladium, Bahia last week (October 2011). The decoration is beautiful, room is confortable, shower is great, but they should provide better cleaning services for the room and bathroom at puclic areas.
As the resort is very recent, it seems like the working team does not speak the same language. Service is confusing, people that work there are obviously working way too many hours. They dont smile and dont feel like doing whatever you ask for. This was very disappointing.
Another thing that has to be improved is the food quality. It is nothing special at all. Indian and Japanese restaurants are ok, but dont forget to book a table. (even If I dont understand their reservation system, it is a joke because you HAVE to have a reservation to eat at these places, but if you are 10 min late you are not allowed to sit anymore!)
Besides that, I enjoyed the hotel a lot. Gym and Spa are awesome, the beach is beautiful and you can have lots fo "chopes" while sun bathing! Bahia is the best!

Room Tip: Vila 23, facing the beach (you can not see it, but at least you will not face the pool and the loud...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Kellycb

Dear Guest;

We appreciate the time that you take to put in writing your fed back of your stay, the purpose of this responds is to inform you that we regrets that your experience in our facilities were not satisfactory and we are taking note of your points to verify in detail every one of the reports that you are mentioning.

Thank you once again for your comments and please feel free to contact us for any other comments at info.brasil@fiestahotelgroup.com

Cordially,

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This almost brand new hotel has a fantastic location, very good infrastructure, very good service and food. It is all inclusive system, what doesn't make the staff do less than their best.
This paradise is blessed by a perfect nature. The lovely garden full of coconut trees is crossed by a creek with cristal water running to the white sand beach. Who needs more than that?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Verastur
PBRTEAM2, Manager at Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear Mr Verastur

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
We are elated that you have had such an amazing vacation at our beautiful Resort. We appreciate all your positive comments especially those about our staff. We are truly proud of team as they work continuously to maintain and improve the product that we offer to our guest in the aim of meeting and exceeding their expectations.

We welcome your visit in the near future and it was our pleasure hosting you.

Take care

Also consider these accommodations in or near Imbassai
Pousada Capitu
#1 of 3 in Costa Do Sauipe
Tivoli Ecoresort Praia do Forte
Tivoli Ecoresort Praia do Forte
#1 of 2 in Mata de Sao Joao

Been to Grand Palladium Imbassai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!