“The only place to stay in Punakaiki - absolutely stunning location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Punakaiki Resort

Punakaiki Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Punakaiki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“The only place to stay in Punakaiki - absolutely stunning location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

There isn't much choice right in Punakaiki and so you certainly wouldn't consider staying anywhere other than here.
The Chalet style rooms are right on the beach and so the views are stunning.
The rooms are very good. Very large and lovely large shower in the bathroom.
The bar is unfortunately not good at all. Full of children having dinner when we were there and no atmosphere at all. Similarly the restaurant lacked atmosphere. Very bright and although we were told we needed to book it wasn't anywhere near full.
However the food was very good. The service and ambience just neede to be a bit more special. You would probably be better to go out and eat although you would have to drive as there is nothing really in Punakaiki itself.
Just beware if you book through Expedia as the money is not taken in advance as is usual with Expedia and so you do have to pay there. I wasn't sure and we spent time debating whether this was indeed the case or not. The girl there was polite but firm so I paid and actually she was correct.
Still I would definitley stay there again and at just over £50 per night it was fantastic value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicolafb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

We had one of the standard rooms on the beach side of the street. It was a very plain, basic motel style. Nothing more. The beds were old and tired, as was the decor. The window screens of our room were thick with dead sandflies, as were the window sills themselves. The few buzzing around in the room itself were quickly vanquished by yours truly. We had dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. It was just OK. The server was not pleasant, but a bit arrogant. It was a lovely setting, though, with full glass windows floor to ceiling for a view of the ocean . The sunset we witnessed while we were eating was quite beautiful. I would only recommend this hotel because of its location. It is close to Punakaiki Rocks and was a good place logistically to stop over on our drive south along the coast after a full day's drive from Kaikoura. Breakfast was not included in the price of the room, unfortunately.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eyesee
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

We only used the restaurant because of the amazing location, but our waiter was hopelessly inexperienced and the service terribly slow. With such high prices we expected a good standard of food but we were very disappointed. Rip-off prices and the wine list was very limited.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Sn00k
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

There are not a lot of places to stay in Punakaiki but the resort is a solid hotel right on the beach and just a few hundred meters from the pancake rocks and blowholes, the main attraction of Punakaiki. It's worth a stay here, though there's not a lot to do in town. The price was certainly right for such a decent hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David K
Malota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Stay over the hill there is another hotel there, looks more like a local pub\hotel and I only noticed it as we were leaving northbound.

Below is an excerpt of the email I sent to the person I booked my reservations through outlining my (poor) experience! (NB:I stayed in the newer Eco rooms - 511 - which is better styled but still was not fully functional)

1. We went to the bar and ordered some drinks\nibbles before dinner. For starters the glass of bubbles my wife ordered was not chilled, it was like the bottle was only thrown in 30 mins ago.
2. The chips that were ordered with the drinks were luke warm (They took ages to get to us and were probably sitting somewhere for someone to deliver them)

We didn't bother mentioning anything as we had been driving all day along the west coast and were hungry and just wanted something to tide us over for what we were hoping was going to be a spectacular dinner.

3. After receiving our order (Lamb Rump) we were quite disappointed in the quality of the meal (remember this dish is $33 a plate! The dish we were presented with was something I would expect from a pub)
a. The Lamb itself was over cooked and dry (no option given as to the how we would like it done e.g. Well Done/Medium/Rare). There was also large chunks of fat still on the meat.
b. The Kumara mash was a shocker. It had a burnt skin on it that was almost as tough as leather, once you peeled that off you could then get to the mash below it.
c. The beans... this was probably the worst, it was as if they had been microwaved and dished up on the plate full with water dripping all over the place.

I couldn't be bothered complaining as it was late (we only managed to get an 8:30 booking for dinner) and I was tired, couldn't be bothered and thought I'll just write it down and then pass it on in the morning when I settle the bill.

4. When we get back to the room to write down on your comments sheet I find that there is no pen.
5. I then goto my car and get a pen, come back and try to turn on the lamp to fill out the form only to find that it does not power on.
6. I try to turn on the TV next to the lamp and find that it has no power either.

I then grab my cell phone charger and plug it into the same socket, and find that it doesn't work, after some investigation it appears that the power outlets in the bathroom, by the TV, by the lamp and behind the Sofa all do not work. The ones by the bed and in the kitchen do. I even went as far as to check the fuse box to see if one of the fuses had tripped but they all appeared ok.

Obviously as I mentioned before it's late and by now all I want to do is sleep.

Obviously the price we payed for this visit does not equal anywhere near the experience I expected to get from it.

The next day I took over the piece of paper and handed it to the lady behind reception and briefly went over those points, but I am outlining them again in more detail to you in the hope that it will be looked into and the level of service raised to match the price you are charging.

Never will I recommend this facility to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Malota
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

I loved Punakaiki resort. Our room was right above the beach. We could hear the waves all night. The room was nice and comfortable. The "beach" was not a sandy beach, but rather a pebbly beach. The pebbles were all different colors. At each end of the beach were small examples of the pancake rocks.

The restaurant at the resort was also very good. I had duck and my husband had mussels and salmon. Breakfast in the morning was a tasty buffet.

The resort is less than 5 minutes from the pancake rocks which was a unique area to visit.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank ColletteLovesTravel
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

The west coast of the south island of New Zealand is rightly famed for it's virtually untouched natural beauty. And the Punakaiki resort is testament to this beauty. Set on the beach front within a quick (uphill) walk to the famous Punakaiki 'pancake rocks', the accommodation here is sublime. Beautifully appointed rooms, overlooking the rugged beach, and backed onto native forest, waking up to the sound of the waves crashing and the unique bird song really is something I'd recommend.

The restaurant serves first class cuisine, albeit the staff in the restaurant need to be taught the basics of service. The again being in such a relatively remote location I guess experienced or well trained service staff may be hard to come by?

Highly recommended, and very reasonably priced for what you get.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms with beautiful views
  • Disliked — Waiting staff in restaurant poorly trained
  • Stayed January 2009
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punakaiki
Gables Motor Lodge
#1 of 7 in Punakaiki
Punakaiki Beach Hostel
Punakaiki Beach Hostel
#2 of 7 in Punakaiki

Been to Punakaiki Resort? Share your experiences!