“Great location - Punakaiki Resort”
Review of Punakaiki Resort

Punakaiki Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Punakaiki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I loved Punakaiki resort. Our room was right above the beach. We could hear the waves all night. The room was nice and comfortable. The "beach" was not a sandy beach, but rather a pebbly beach. The pebbles were all different colors. At each end of the beach were small examples of the pancake rocks.

The restaurant at the resort was also very good. I had duck and my husband had mussels and salmon. Breakfast in the morning was a tasty buffet.

The resort is less than 5 minutes from the pancake rocks which was a unique area to visit.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColletteLovesTravel

Reviewed February 8, 2009

The west coast of the south island of New Zealand is rightly famed for it's virtually untouched natural beauty. And the Punakaiki resort is testament to this beauty. Set on the beach front within a quick (uphill) walk to the famous Punakaiki 'pancake rocks', the accommodation here is sublime. Beautifully appointed rooms, overlooking the rugged beach, and backed onto native forest, waking up to the sound of the waves crashing and the unique bird song really is something I'd recommend.

The restaurant serves first class cuisine, albeit the staff in the restaurant need to be taught the basics of service. The again being in such a relatively remote location I guess experienced or well trained service staff may be hard to come by?

Highly recommended, and very reasonably priced for what you get.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I should start by saying that we booked this place on the basis of comments on Trip Advisor - and that now concerns me somewhat.

We (myself, Mrs Haggis and our 2 kids aged 6 and 8) stayed here for 2 nights in mid Jan 2009. We were in interconnecting standard rooms (207 and 208).

Good points - stunning location. Whilst it's on the main road there was no noise at all. Beautiful sunsets.

Bad points - the rooms were very dated and basic. Both rooms smelt musty and although they appeared to be clean there were small stains on 3 of the bed spreads. The balcony had bird and possum droppings on it.

What turned us off completely was the restaurant and staff. Here's a summary of dinner...

I call ahead to book dinner for 7.30pm but am told only 7.45pm is available. We arrive at 7pm and they agree to let us dine quickly as the kids are hungry. We wait 20 mins after getting menus and have to find the waitress to ask to place the order. She forgot one starter and doesn't bring the kids food as requested. She forgets the wine. She then pours the wine into a glass with lipstick on it - not mine ! When we point this out she removes the glass, gets a clean one and continues to pour - I've now lost half a glass of wine !

The mussels are good but she drops the plate on the floor, complete with rice and left over mussels & sauce and then leaves it for 15 minutes before cleaning it. Dinner arrives 90 mins after we arrived. My bok choi is bruised, wilting and clearly not fresh. My wife gets lamb served on a very very dirty plate. The kids chicken nuggets are burnt and disgusting. The fish special is inedible as is the lamb. To be fair they acknowledged this and offered replacements but as my daughter pointed out - I'd rather starve so we pay up and leave. We get the lamb meal for free but it still costs my $150 with the wine.

We all agreed that without doubt it was the worst meal we had ever eaten.

And not sure why they couldn't offer us a table at 7.30pm as we wanted, the place was empty.

The staff were mostly young girls. Whilst polite and friendly they were useless. I can accept that this is not a big town and being so remote perhaps I am being unrealistic. If you charge the prices they do though I fully expect a decent meal and good service.

We paid $760 for the 2 rooms for 2 nights. I paid less for far higher quality places in Franz Josef and Queenstown. This place is a rip off.

Avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Haggis_Supper
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Booked a villa (room 309) thinking that the villa would be located directly at the beach. Big mistake. A road separates the eco villas and obviously also the villas from the reception, dining and other accomodation area which is directly on the beach. Reception and staff at the restaurant are not very friendly which was a surprise as almost anybody in the previous accomodations and in general (northern part of south island) has been very friendly and helpful. Beach is lovely, walking it is great but don't lie down in the sand as it's got sandflies. Dinner at the restaurant was rather expensive and disappointing (except the cheese cake which was very yummy). However, view from restaurant is awesome! Hotel room is basic and does not meet what you pay for it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We stayed 2 days in an eco-lodge. The room was large and comfortable, with all the amenities we needed. We also had a spectacular view of the beach and sitting outside on the balcony whilst the sun went down was just beautiful.

The only place to eat is on site- which is a little pricey but the food was very good.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

For starters, I would like to clarify that I did not stay at this hotel. I would however, like to share an incident whilst making an enquiry bout rates. I sent an email to the hotel, making an enquiry. It was totally my fault, as I didn't read the terms, and it stated that once an booking was sent, it would be immediately charged to the credit card. As I had made many enquiries to other resorts and they never did that, I assumed this was the same. I was sent an email the next day, saying my confirmation was booked and credit card charged. I replied saying I was just making an enquiry. This happened within two days of my booking and I asked them if they could reverse the entry. The booking was even made for November, which was over a month away. They didn't allow it and charged me a cancellation fee of NZ45. Which converted to AUD was $57 including conversion fee. I thought that being a clear mistake they could just waive it. Although it is clearly my fault, but given it was a clear mistake and all this happened within 2 days, i thought the owners would be nice enough to waive the fee. Not happy at all, but again, clearly my fault. Hope you all do not make the same mistake!

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank holiday_mode2
Reviewed October 7, 2008

When we arrived we were directed to our 'eco lodge' which was more expensive than a regular room and found what looked like a university dorm room with very basic furniture and a view of a main road.
Our meal in the restaurant was very average.
We were further disappointed to find the next morning that breakfast was not included, even though we had paid more for our 'very basic' eco lodge.
I would not recommend staying unless you can't find anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punakaiki
Paparoa Park Motel
#1 of 7 in Punakaiki
Te Nikau Retreat
Te Nikau Retreat
#2 of 7 in Punakaiki

Been to Punakaiki Resort? Share your experiences!