“Nice place to spend an hour”

Tropical Spice Garden
$126.00*
Private Tour: Wet Market and Malaysian Cooking Lesson in Penang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Garden Audio Tours available in 7 Languages: English, Chinese, Malay, Arabic, Japanese, German & French. Alternatively you may take the Live Guided Tour starting at 9am, 11.30Am, 1.30Pm & 3.30Pm. The trails are uneven and going up hill, therefore wheelchairs & strollers are not recommended. The Hidden Eden of Southeast Asia! Timeless and enchanting, Tropical Spice Garden is an eco-attraction tucked within a natural valley fronting the Straits of Malacca. The showcase garden houses over 500 species of herb, spice and tropical plants. Explore and discover the fabulous diversity of nature as you through trails and pathways that meander through undulating hills, jungles terraces and natural streams.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stopped by on our way to the National Park and it was a nice break from the tropical heat. Well maintained grounds with lots of interesting paths. You can opt for a guide or just walk around yourself. We chose to go it alone and spent just under an hour to have a look around and enjoy the gardens. I overheard a guided tour as it passed and the guides did sound knowledgable.

1  Thank UnholyTrinity
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

On arrival after purchasing our tickets we were sprayed with insect repellant lemon grass oil. The over powering aromas of the spices remind you of your attraction's in store. The beautifully landscaped pathways, waterfalls, with the spice trees, bushes and shrubs are overwhelming. There is a choice of trails according to the time one has. The pathways are marked with arrows in red, green and orange depicting the different trails. The soft sound of gentle waterfalls is very soothing. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The souvenir shop on the premises is well stocked with packed spices, stationary, kitchen accessories etc. We did not have time to sample food in the restaurant or join a cooking class using different spices. Al in all it was a lovely experience.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I recently spent 2 weeks in Penang, and one of my goals while there was to attend one of the cooking classes at the Tropical Spice Garden.

This is our second trip to the island, and on our trip 2 years ago a friend did one of the cooking classes, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was keen to learn some authentic dishes.

Our guide Harry Lim met us for the tour of the Spice Gardens. An enjoyable and very informative tour, culminating with freshly brewed pandan,lemongrass and Stevia tea, very refreshing.

The participants for the cooking school then headed to the beautifully appointed kitchens, which were well airconditioned in the Malaysian heat.

Our teacher Pearly Kee is a 5th generation Nyonya, and as we started our food prep regaled us with stories of her growing up in Malaysia as a Nyonya girl, giving us a good background of how life was for her, and anoverview of Nyonya traditions.

We had a group of 12 students, including a family with 2 young boys who proved to be very capable in the kitchen and helped their parents, and a gentleman who is a chef in his own restaurant. The day was tailored around our various cooking skills, some higher than others, but we were all happy to chat, help each other with new skills and ingredients and learn.

We made Inche Kabin (fragrant spiced chicken) and Asam Laksa (traditional Penang Laksa). At the end of the cooking class we took our food to the lovely outdoor gazebo and shared a wonderful meal together. There was a delicious black sticky rice dessert ready for us to finish.

While my husband didn't participate in the cooking that day, he was there for the last hour of the cooking school as an observer, and shared in the meal.

All in all, a top value day, a wonderful experience. Next time I'm in Penang I will certainly do another school. Note: My recommended length of visit to this attraction includes the time to do the cooking class. For the gardens alone, 1-2 hours would be appropriate.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Close to Batu Ferringhi and a beautiful setting with local grown spices, lots of amazing plants, foliage and flowers and lots of monkeys!

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We are a couple in our late 20's and early 30's and were very excited about going to the spice Gardens and doing the cooking class after reading the rave reviews. HOW WRONG WE WERE.

Where do I start, firstly the class which was meant to be limited to 10 all of a sudden had 12 after the host advised us there was a family who really wanted to join. I understand however with classes running everyday, and a GUARANTEE that it would be a maximum of 10, adding 2 more which is 20% extra was not expected. The menu itself looked fun to cook online, however upon obtaining the menu in the class on the day, it was a different menu with no explanation why?! Very upset as chose the particular day based on the menu we wanted to have run cooking.

Additionally this is a cooking class for someone who has never cooked in their life.

Let me explain. For starters I don't mind hearing about someone's background however a 45 min history of their life is a bit much especially when you are paying RM200 per person! That's a hell of a lot of money in Malaysia and Australia (roughly $160) for a cooking class.

Once the host finally stopped talking about herself which included the subtle (or not so subtle) mention of her book which was conveniently places for her to sell on the spot in the class) we then spent almost an hour learning how to peel an onion or how to wash vegetables.

The chicken also was left in bowls with water for god knows how long before it was given to us to prep.

I mean come on, to pay this much just to get told how to do this was a joke. It all came to a head when the host/teacher was having to constantly look at the menu to see what was meant to go in or how much of each spice/sauce. She wrote the menu, teaches the class, at least know off by heart what you are teaching!!! At this point we cut our losses an walked out.

As I said a big waste of money and time. I don't know how people can give it such a good review. If you have never and I mean never cooked not even made scrabbled eggs then maybe you might get something out of this cooking class - even then I doubt it.

If you're looking for a good experience this is not it. I am not being picky or synicle. Rather honest about something that left me bewildered and quite mad that I had been conned to spend so much money and time with what I believe is false advertising and almost a con of a 'Attraction'

7  Thank Jdubb1313