“As a local, I bring my guests here for cooking class”

Tropical Spice Garden
$53.00*
Half-Day Tour to Tropical Spice Garden and Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Garden Audio Tours available in 7 Languages: English, Chinese, Malay, Arabic, Japanese, German & French. Alternatively you may take the Live Guided Tour starting at 9am, 11.30Am, 1.30Pm & 3.30Pm. The trails are uneven and going up hill, therefore wheelchairs & strollers are not recommended. The Hidden Eden of Southeast Asia! Timeless and enchanting, Tropical Spice Garden is an eco-attraction tucked within a natural valley fronting the Straits of Malacca. The showcase garden houses over 500 species of herb, spice and tropical plants. Explore and discover the fabulous diversity of nature as you through trails and pathways that meander through undulating hills, jungles terraces and natural streams.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I live in Penang, whenever we have visitors, we book a cooking class and a tour of the spice gardens. So far I've taken classes with Pearly and Sugu. Both classes were fun and delicious learning experiences. Now I skillfully cook with local spices such as pandan and chili leaf, and my guests depart having had an uplifting and enriching experience.

2  Thank LauraReese

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Did a guided our of the spice garden while in penang recently and absolutely loved it, which was quite unexpected as gardens aren't usually our thing. Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and passionate and shared some great knowledge with us about the uses of different plants and trees in the garden. The garden itself is beautiful and easy to navigate. I bought some great citronella spray in the gift shop which has worked really well in Malaysia and is a natural alternative to other repellents.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

There were five in our group, two couples and one single, all in our 50s. We stopped on an "around the island tour" and took a guided tour of the spice garden. We all found the garden very pretty with lots of great photo spots. Our guide was very informative and interesting, he had a lot of information about the plants, including their medicinal properties. Although on the side of the hill we had no trouble with the terrain. Toward the end of our tour we saw the cooking school and as it was something we were all interested in we booked it for a couple of days later.
We took the Nyonya class with Pearly Kee , there were 3 others in the class so a total of 8 of us. We all thoroughly enjoyed our class and Pearly not only taught us about the cooking but also some history about the Nyonya people.
Visited February 2012

1  Thank LauPete01_13
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went to the Tropical Spice Garden to do a cooking course with Rohana and had a fantastic time.

She was a fantastic teacher and we loved the meal we cooked! Plus she was really good fun and so we really enjoyed her company throughout the class.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone going to Penang. The setting of the garden was lovely as well, we had a tour from 'Uncle Danny' before the class which we also really enjoyed. He was very funny and knowledgeable, plus the garden was very beautiful.

We had a drink in the Tree Monkey cafe (I think that was the name) afterwards, this was decorated really nicely, very chilled and pretty, plus overlooked the sea.

If you're coming from Georgetown then it takes between 45mins-1hour to get to but the drive is really interesting as you go through Batu Ferranghi and mainly drive along the coast.

1  Thank sophie_t99
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This place is definitely worth a visit if you enjoy the tropical setting. The stroll through was very relaxing and many times i was delighted with the lushness of the green and quite unusual beautiful flowers. On the way to the restaurant, the awesome highlight was seeing a family of 8 monkeys crossing from one tree to another. The ironical part is that the spice garden itself was pathethic. Miserable straggly herbs in some pots . Even my nongreen fingers have better looking pots of herbs in my backyard.
Mr Owner. If you are reading this please do something about that part of your otherwise beautiful place. I was embarassed on your behalf