Tripadvisor

“Lucky Find”

Hon Kei Food Corner
Ranked #88 of 2,450 Restaurants in Penang Island
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stumbled upon this restaurant while visting Penang on a cruise. Air conditioned and clean. We tried some noodle dishes and fried rice. Very good food at reasonable prices. Saw many locals eat here too.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank David T
Write a reviewReviews (174)

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

Its always good to eat here . When my body need a good nutrition , I prefer something light and fresh to eat . Bitter gourd soup with liver , kidney etc always perfect for lunch and dinner as well . The price was good with the freshness of the ingredient .

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 6, 2020

If you like pork porridge noodles and porridge, this is the place to go. They serve good fish head noodles as well. I had a bowl of minced pork bee hoon (rice noodles) while my wife had fish head bee hoon. Both were very tasty. We also ordered a plate of local stir fried vegetables which was very also good. The lady who took our order was very patient, explaining to the menu to us.

We were there at around 7.30 pm on a Saturday evening and it was packed with locals The seating capacity is fairly large so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a table. Turnaround of the tables is pretty fast too.

The restaurant (more like a very large eating house) opens in the morning at around 9 am and serves local breakfast (local coffee and kaya toast).

Good place to go for local food in the middle of George town.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed October 13, 2019 via mobile

Staffs disinterested to serve during late afternoon, angry and just upset with life? Seriously sulky people

Food is so normal for RM11.75 I thought it would be great but noodles were undercooked. What? aldente mixian? I don’t appreciate

I asked for half noodles too not half ingredients...

Need to come back to try again, as of first visit it certainly did not impress

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 10, 2019

I went there only one time and the food was good. I tried for the first time the tom yam soup in 2019. It was spicy but not too much, sweet and sour taste with tomato, it is a good portion. I also tried there for the first time in my life the loh bak (it is a kind of fried sausage to dip in chili, small portion). It was good

The atmosphere is good. There is space to eat, big mural fans, no AC, There are many young Chinese people eating there. It is crowded,

The toilets were clean when I visited, one Western toilet and one Asiatic style one

The food choice is ok. However tom yam and loh bak for example are only served after 10.00. Before it is breakfast and different food is served in a kind of buffet. The food quantity was very good. With the tom yam and the loh bak I was more than full.

The service was very quick, they come to advise you directly at your table and take your orde Maybe too fast, you don’t have the time to check the menu. They ask you also if you like the food or not. They are friendly helpful and smiley

The value for money is good. For 17 rm I was full and the food is good…So, it is more expensive than some Indian food places but it is worth to try tom yam and loh bak to know what it is. It is not what I prefere for food but I was happy to have tried

Date of visit: February 2019