“Great food and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Il Bacaro

Il Bacaro
Ranked #42 of 1,597 Restaurants in Penang Island
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A cozy family run Italian restaurant located within the Heritage building of Campbell House Hotel. Offering breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner, Wines, drinks & coffee.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at the Campbell House and decided to have dinner here mostly because it had air conditioning and was not rice or noodles. Everything was excellent. Waiters were patient and answered all our questions about the where the meat and seafood was from and explained how the water was purified (big concern for us). There were a few meal descriptions that I was not familiar with and they explained that as well. The place was very nice and seemed like a special place to have dinner but the cost was very reasonable compared to US places. Wine was similarly priced to others we had in Malaysia. We ended up with two entrees off the special board - gnocchi and a beef served with mashed potatoes. The wine was also from the special board. We finished our meal with classic gelato and enjoyed every bite.

• Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“When in Penang, do as the Romans do.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

When in Rome do as the Romans do. We spent two weeks in Penang and for most of this time my wife and I pretty much stuck to this adage. For our last night we decided to treat ourselves to something a little more up market to what is generally available in Georgetown and we were not disappointed.
I had the Rib-eye steak with Blue Vein cheese sauce and my wife had the Gnocchi Bolognese. Both were delicious and the service was impeccable.
I can highly recommend the Il Bacaro Restaurant.

Visited June 2014
George Town, Malaysia
“Italian food from an Italian chef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

When you go to an Italian restaurant that serves food by an Italian chef, you know you're in for a treat. The menu is pretty simplistic with mostly appetisers, pastas and pizzas. But it does have a selection of other mains such as poultry and seafood just in case you didn't feel like having pasta or pizza. But since it was our first time at the restaurant, we all felt like having pasta. I had never tried gnocchi before and I thought it would be good to try it for the first time. I chose to have it with a four cheese sauce - which was extremely creamy and rich. However I could not finish the whole plate because I was too full. But thumbs up nevertheless because it was really quite indulgent.

We also tried the appetiser of tomato bruschetta which was really packed with flavour. The bread was toasted at just the right amount and was topped with balsamic vinegar and a generous amount of tomatoes that was mixed with garlic and herbs and olive oil. The other main that I would recommend that was at our table was in the special menu: Seafood Spaghetti. It's a tomato based pasta which had a generous amount of seafood and the sauce was a killer. Loved the tomato, olive oil and garlic mix of sauce. It gave the dish the punch of flavour it needed.

The restaurant isn't very big but has a very nice cozy feeling to it. Perfect for catching up with friends and family. The restaurant is located at the Ground floor but there are 2 floors more which holds their Trip Advisor award winning hotel. The dishes are also not too pricey considering the portions of the meals as well. Overall a good restaurant that I would love to visit again soon.

• Visited June 2014
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Excellent meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Bruschetta is best I have had outside of Italy. Lamb shanks were to perfection. Steak with blue cheese sauce had great sauce and potatoes. Meat was well cooked but was a lower quality of meat. However considering how hard it is to get steak here perhaps understandable. Desert of chocolate chilli mud cake was a treat. The chef here is top quality, service great and the host genial and helpful. Great place to eat

Visited June 2014
Rivignano, Italy
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Delicious food, typically Italian (original products!), authentic hospitality, kindness like a few!

As frequent traveler for business reasons, I attend this place every time I am in Penang, I think it is one of the best Italian restaurants in the world.

For the most demanding gourmets, chef Mario is always available for specialties on demand.

Very good bar tender with his excellent drinks!

• Visited May 2014