“Excellent meal”

Il Bacaro
Ranked #38 of 1,779 Restaurants in Penang Island
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A cozy family run Italian restaurant located within the Heritage building of Campbell House Hotel. Offering breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner, Wines, drinks & coffee.
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Bruschetta is best I have had outside of Italy. Lamb shanks were to perfection. Steak with blue cheese sauce had great sauce and potatoes. Meat was well cooked but was a lower quality of meat. However considering how hard it is to get steak here perhaps understandable. Desert of chocolate chilli mud cake was a treat. The chef here is top quality, service great and the host genial and helpful. Great place to eat

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Delicious food, typically Italian (original products!), authentic hospitality, kindness like a few!

As frequent traveler for business reasons, I attend this place every time I am in Penang, I think it is one of the best Italian restaurants in the world.

For the most demanding gourmets, chef Mario is always available for specialties on demand.

Very good bar tender with his excellent drinks!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is by far my first dining choice in Georgetown.

I've eaten here several times and it is a mainstay when friends from overseas visit.

The menu is vast and changes frequently. We've had exquisite duck dishes, beef, fish and, of course, wonderful pastas. Vegetables are fresh and cooked perfectly.

Wine list offers excellent choices at very fair prices.
It surprises me that there are disappointing reviews of Il Bacaro. I live in Penang and, generally, have the habit of consulting with the chef and staff on what is freshest and best, before ordering.

There are many constraints on getting top quality fresh foods here, so asking is probably a good idea.

1  Thank Marian S
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We visited this restaurant recently and it looked so promising. Lovely inside, attentive staff, lovely setting. I ordered a garden salad to start with, well what a poor garden it must have come from. The only piece of salad on the plate was lettuce. I thought it should have at least tomato and cucumber. Then we ordered pizzas each. Well they have got to be the most tasteless pizzas I have ever eaten. They were covered in what looked like a kilo of cheese which was revolting.
What an absolute waste of an oasis in Georgetown which should be so much better. Would never recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Tzeni660
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Il Bacaro offers a very pleasant, quiet, cool and relaxed environment for meal - the polar opposite of the eating experience in most of Penang. We had a large green salad with grilled vegetables (eggplant and roasted red peppers) as a starter - beautifully presented and delicious. For mains, I had a pomfret fillet and my bride had a thick snapper fillet. Mine was grilled and sauced with a white wine lemon and caper reduction and served in a sea of lightly sautéed cherry tomatoes, over boiled and sautéed golden potatoes - yummy. My wife's snapper was sautéed and sauced in a tomato, parsley and garlic mix - also delicious. We had no drinks other than water. The bill was RM 118 (US$ 36), very reasonable for what we got and the quality of the dining experience. The service was very attentive. This meal was such a contrast with the hastily prepared, carelessly presented low quality food we found in several of the well known Penang restaurants and the famous hawker stalls. The latter were a real disappointment - highly touted worldwide, but frankly not worth a look.