“Georgian architecture at its best”
Review of Suffolk House

Suffolk House
Ranked #64 of 238 things to do in Penang Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Penang Mansion Restaurant Suffolk House is a stunning example of an Anglo-Indian garden house and Malaysia's only surviving Georgian Mansion, originally built in the early 1800s. For decades Suffolk House had a glittering career as the home of successive British Governors. The winner of the 2008 Award of Distinction in the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation this extensively and passionately restored mansion is now a "must visit" destination for everyone who comes to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of George Town, Penang.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Had a guided tour around Suffolk House. The guide was very informative and made the history of the house interesting, telling us who had occupied the house and how the renovations developed. There were info leaflets and a small shop with reasonably priced souvenirs. I would recommend using the house tour guide otherwise it might be a bit boring walking around on your own. Interesting architecture and photos allowed in some areas of the house.

All reviews
"furniture"
in 7 reviews
"columns"

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Suffolk House was the venue for my wedding reception. The moment I visited the site, I knew this was where I wanted to celebrate my wedding. Throughout the planning process, the event manager was very thorough and helpful. I made numerous visits to Suffolk House and had many detailed discussion about my wedding day. Everything was taken note of and executed. The food was delicious that night. Suffolk House is an excellent choice to host an elegant and personalized event.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

They have obviously spent money repairing this place but obviously no ton the things that matter.
The day we went the roof was leaking all over the place half the displays were under plastic for protection. And is smelt mouldy
Rather than focusing on the fancy aspects some basic maintenance is in order before this otherwise beautiful house will fall to ruin again.
The menu in the restaurant was very un appealing, way to fancy for the environs.
The gift shop at best is a joke.
I hope someone can take the bull by the horns and do something with this great example of architecturre.

1  Thank pemblin
penangnative, Manager at Suffolk House, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2016

Dear pemblin . Thank you for your review. We are pleased to inform you that since the YKH group has taken over the management of Suffolk House we have refurbished the place in May 2016 to an even higher standard. However please note that this is not a museum but a restaurant and an events venue. The beautiful garden with its rain trees are still as beautiful as ever and the dining rooms have been given a facelift making it one of the most classy restaurants in Penang. The menu has been changed and it's now helmed by chef Mathijs Nanne from the Netherlands and as you can see from the latest reviews people are loving it. We hope that you will be back to visit us one of these days soon. Thank you.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

A beautifully restored mansion that is said to have belonged to Capt Francis Light. It is a wonderful building that is majestic and so calm. We learnt a huge amount about colonial life a couple of hundred years ago in Penang and would highly recommend a visit. We did not stay to have a meal in the fine dining room - the menu looked interesting though and will return on our next visit to sample!