“Too Complacent”

Dining options: Reservations
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Too Complacent”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The food has reputed to being very good, and I guess the staff and cooks are too complacent with the compliments.

Food sometimes comes out overdone, in small portions and at times downright untidy.

Staff need lessons in English because not all customers speak Chinese. They also tend to insist on you sitting at tables that you do not like.

A vast difference from the service of the Dragon-i in Kuala Lumpur.

Oslo, Norway
“Nothing special, overpriced, bad staff.”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have been here twice over the last few weeks. I love how you can see the chefs making the noodles and dim sum by hand as you walk in.

On the first visit I was impressed by the food, the hand made noodles were delicious. All the food we had was nice, if a little oily, although at least 3 of the dishes we ordered they said were not available for some reason and the had run out of coke. It took so long to get the bill despite asking several times and we had to go and collect the change ourselves on the way out. The staff are very young and bordering on useless. The meal was the only thing I had eaten that day and I developed stomach cramps and diarrhoea later in the day.

On the second visit, again lots of things were not available, and the chicken in black pepper sauce was disgusting - it tasted like the chicken had gone bad. The service was a little better this time, but before I finished my meal I had to rush to the toilet again with stomach cramps. I was travelling for nearly five weeks and the only two times I felt unwell were after eating here. It could, of course, have been something else I had eaten but I certainly don't think so. I will never go back.

• Visited February 2012
Thailand
“Most dishes Ok, can be quite cramped”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I have eaten here a few times and found most of the food to be OK. The best by far here are the dumplings which are a house speciality, the shell-fish and crab are also good. The drunken chicken I'd avoid, totally tasteless.

The tables are a bit cramped together around the edges and when it's busy you notice it. There's also something a bit off-putting about eating in the middle of a shopping mall with the sides open to the main concourse.

Service is OK and prices quite reasonable for what it is although probably closer to restaurant prices but without the exclusiveness and privacy. I'd eat there again but not too often.

• Visited December 2011
George Town, Malaysia
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

The food here is super delicious, but it's slightly more costly as it has more of a high class setting. They are most famous for their "la mian" (home-made noodles) and their 'xiao long pau" (small meat dumplings). If you're a seafood lover, do give their soft-shell crab with egg yolk a try. It's really finger-licking good!! This restaurant is a good place to have family dinners or gatherings with friends as it's got a nice ambience and delicious food!

• Visited November 2011
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent food and nice decoration/atmosphere”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My partner and I had lunch there. We ordered a chicken dish and a beef dish (can not remember the names); but they were really delicious. Very nice service and decoration. What I did not like though, they would not ask whether I need a wet tissue or not. They will give it you and charge for it.

Most importantly, it is inside a nice shopping centre. So if you want to eat something good after the hard work or shopping, this is a good to go into.

• Visited July 2011