“Excellent choice.”

Abbotsford Nainital
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent choice.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A warm welcome and much appreciated tea and biscuits awaited our arrival after a long journey from Delhi. We were very happy with our choice of room, the Princess suite. Enormous and luxurious, with some lovely personal touches, like the family photos on the wall and in the lounge area, books and ornaments. However, a slightly softer mattress would have given a better nights sleep! And I have to agree with a previous review that the towels could be bigger and of better quality.
The house is beautiful, in a fabulous location and well looked after. Great to return after a day out and catch the last few rays of the sun out in the garden with that very " English cup of tea"!
Food was freshly cooked to order and there was plenty of it, no room for lunch. We were the only guests for a few nights so had personal service and our own table in the dining room listening to old classical records at dinner, very quaint. Printed information of any extras available with prices such as tea/coffee,soft drinks/alcohol and meals would have been useful.
Walking down to the mall was fun, more of a challenge on the way back, but generally no problems getting a taxi. However the exact location of Abbotsford often appeared to be a mystery! Maybe that was our poor explanation.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would certainly stay again. A thumbs up also to the friendly and dedicated staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Abbotsford1876, Owner at Abbotsford Nainital, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks for your excellent review. Next year the mattresses will be nice and cushiony, the towels will be plush and the a printed menu for the tea/coffees etc will be in place. My question is when are you planning to visit us next?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent an idyllic 4 days at Abbotsford. What a lovely location, away from the bustle of the town with a beautiful garden and a super view. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Manager, Mrs Aleem goes out of her way to help. Well maintained and homely, the ideal place for us in Nainital and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 123chickenneck
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went to Nainital with my wife during last week of sept 2013 for 2 nights / 3 days to get some relaxation from hectic life we live in Delhi.. I chose Abbotsford after spending a day on researching about good properties to stay in Nainital and I am glad I decided on this property.. The experience was really good right from the beginning , Mrs Aleem who is admin over there took a personal interest in makin sure that our stay is as good as it gets. Right from the check-in to check-out she made sure that we have everthing which any traveller require during the trip.
The property is beautiful, right in the middle of greenery with good view of mountains. The hill view room where we stayed is behind the heritage building and is very well maintained. The hotel staff is really corteous and since it's a small property with few rooms you won't have feeling of staying in a typical hotel.
I would recommend this place to those folks who don't want to stay in stereotype hotel at Mall Road but are looking for an off location from the noise of city..

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank AnkitMitt
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at Abbotsford (Prasada Bhawan) in the 3rd week of May 2013. It's a charming, spacious and peaceful. A great place to stay if you are looking for a relaxing, rejuvenating break, and want to put your foot up, read a book and take nice long walks. Located off the main mall road and market, just at the beginning of a steep slope that leads you to Himalaya view point, it's a perfect location in my opinion for those who prefer a hotel/resort that's not in the commercial heart of a place, but still convenient enough that you can walk, cycle or drive down and reach in a jiffy!

I was there with my family - wife, 5 year old kid, and my in-laws, and all of us quite enjoyed our time here. Mrs. Aleem, the caretaker/manager is very hospitable and does a good job managing the place. We had taken two rooms in the cottage just behind the Abbotsford house -the Wordsworth suite and a room on the ground floor. Both rooms were excellent.

Here's what I loved about the place:
1) The Wordsworth suite - a beautiful spacious suite with a nice heritage feel to it. If you are traveling with extended family/friends, the spacious living room is perfect for long chat sessions!

2) The location of the resort and the resort itself (a nice lawn, birds chirping all around, and reasonably big to walk around idly) - it doesn't give you views of the Naini lake given it's not on Mall road, but I personally preferred the hill view and the serenity in and around the resort. There is also a nice old-world charm to the place without actually looking/feeling old!

3) It's a nice morning walk to Himalaya view point (not much of a view when we went though! :)), and if you are up for it, you can also take a guide and go to China Peak.

4) The food is very good - homely, but excellent.

What could have been better:
1) The lunch/dinner cost is a little bit on the higher side. For similar places, I have generally paid less for the food.
2) There is no indoor play room for kids - this was not at all an issue for us, but if you have small kids who need some sort of indoor entertainment option, just keep that in mind.

Overall, a great experience. And I am glad I chose to stay here! Recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are taking two rooms (say, extended family), I would recommend you take the two rooms in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank asarun
Abbotsford1876, Owner at Abbotsford Nainital, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
So kind of you to have given us this excellent review! It only motivates us to perform even better each day. Thank you for enjoying our property in such depth, be it the birds, the walks, the quietude, the food! Thanks again!
New Delhi
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were booked at a decent local Hotel for our three nights stay at Nainital. However, en-route on our way up, I felt that we must explore Abbotsford. It was a spot decision and we walked into this "Amazing Jewel" blindfolded; no regrets thereafter. Far from the maddening crowd, the location is a personification of peace and serenity. Extremely well maintained, by a devoted and loyal staff, who ensured a comfortable stay. Home away from home, our 9 year old grandson residing in Canada was gaga by every bit of Abbotsford.
If any one is seeking - the "Old World Charm" - undeniably it is here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I'm glad you came over just to have a look at the property and never went back to where you were booked. Than says it all. Thank you Brig. Sapru for your wonderful review! Janhavi
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

After a 7 hr drive from Delhi , when I entered nainital , I was taken aback by the overcrowded mall road and wondering if my descision of coming was right or not ??? But then I reached abbotsford .... And yes !!!! I was happy indeed on entering my room princess suite which made be feel like a queen !!! And yes the location ... HigOh up .,, away from hustle bustle of the town ..
Mrs aleem was an excellent host , indulging in chit chat with her was interesting . Food is awesome ..., but a bit expensive ..,, we were hungry and asked for food on reaching .., we were served yummy crossiant, pasta and soup .., me and my hubby loved it ... But on the lat day I got a bill of 2500 for the small lunch .., not that I mind paying , but was upset that I wad not informed abt the cost .., ( no menu was there .., so .,, )
They dO not have dinner in the package like rest of the hotels , which created confusion ... Since we were always wondering Shud we have dinner I the mall eateries or go back ... Even if we wanted to go back , we wud not get dinner unless we inform them by 5pm ,,, in this confusion I surely missed some good food .,,, ( I guess ) . Wish they had dinner included .
If u don't have your own car then getting a taxi can be a task . We had our own , so it was easy .
Overall a good stay if u r peace loving and wanna avoid those fancy hotels with dirty linen and overworked staff .

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sanjuctaghosharora
new delhi
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Prasad Bhawan is an aristocrats home in which you can stay as a cherished guest. You get excellent food, superb service, unparalleled views of a Nainital sunrise over the hills, and above all, an elegant home like environment with all the luxuries one can expect. Its not just an elegant mansion with old world charm, it also has all the modern facilities one is used to.

Room Tip: "Juliet" gives you the best view of the sunrise, Princess Suite old world elegance, Queen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Abbotsford1876, Owner at Abbotsford Nainital, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Shaileka, thanks you for such a wonderful review, we are really touched by your keeness in every aspect of the property...there are a very few guests that see the charm of Abbotsford, its a old heritage home unlike a hotel it comes with its imperfections and that is what makes it different and old world. Thank you for visiting us and hope to see you in the spring again.