“One of our favourite hostels in Latin America!”
Review of Casa Mazeta

Casa Mazeta
London
“One of our favourite hostels in Latin America!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Having spent 10 months traveling in Latin America we were surprised to find one of our favourite hostels in Juayua. The hostel is is beautifully decorated with a lovely garden with lots of little areas to relax in and a huge and well equipped kitchen. As there is only space for 12 people there’s lots of room to chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. Darren, the owner, could not have been more helpful, he made us feel extremely welcome and comfortable and was a fountain of information, not just about the local area but the whole of El Salvador. The ‘7 waterfalls trip’ Darren organises is well worth doing (Carlos the guide was great) and it’s extremely easy to use local buses to see other nearby towns. The curry night was brilliant, it felt like we’d popped around for dinner with a friend and we were in love with the dogs. We could easily have stayed for longer (we were there for 4 nights) and would love to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Coming to Juayua on our second day in El Salvador, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a really lively town with a weekend food festival that attracts a lot of local tourists and many foreigners ( although I really only saw a few of those). Casa Mazeta was well known enough forme to ask directions and very well placed in town. We stayed two nights in a private room with private bath. I didn't ask who decorated the place, as the current people have been managing since October 2012, but the whole garden and inside is decorated by an artist's touch you can tell. Our room included a small patio type area that was glassed off from the room and included a lion head fountain as decoration. My husband said it was like he was looking at roman ruins.
Darren, the manager, knows how to chat and make people feel welcome. We decided to go on the six hour hike to see the seven waterfalls and he was keen enough to see if the other four people that were staying wanted to go too. This was nice as we met some nice travelers and it lowered the cost for all of us.
I was especially impressed with our guide, Carlos, who easily managed to get all six of us safely down some tricky rock area and down a waterfall, as well as answering any questions we had about coffee farming and el Salvador's history. He also saved us from certain bee stings by hearing a hive way before we did and re routing us up and away. It was a great adventure ending at the swimming hole at Los chorros.
Casa Mazeta was nice to relax and play games (they had cribbage and boggle!) and meet friendly travelers up for getting spontaneous pupuseria dinners. Plus, they have two sweet pups who will walk with you around town and make you feel like a local :)

• Stayed May 2013
casamazeta, Owner at Casa Mazeta, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Fantastic review, I thank you ! Especially glad to see mention of Carlos, our excellent guide. He really does work his boots off. Always, always looks after everyone, making sure they are comfortable on the whole hike, and extremely knowledgeable about all the flora and fauna of the area. This one is definitely for Carlos ..... we both appreciate your time in putting together this review.
Saludos de todos aqui en Casa Mazeta
Ukraine
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Even though we selected this property in the very last minute, it turned out to be one of the best on our way, and for a number of reasons...
Juayua is definitely worth visiting once you are in Salvador, regardless of what you are interested in: you can find anything here. And Casa Mazeta is a perfect place to stay once you reached Juayua.
Having spent 3 weeks in Central America, we were sooooo glad to find at least someone speaking English :) It's unfortunate we haven't had much time to talk to Darren, as he has a wealth of info to share. The village and its surroundings are so captivating that we were busy throughout the 2 days, and coming back to Casa Mazeta we were rewarded with the overwhelming feeling of being at home. It feels in every detail, and although there's nothing fancy about the facility itself, it's a very good value for money, too.
Don't miss the "6 waterfalls tour" - it's a blast! Just ask Darren. We were lucky to be the only 2 people on this tour as we have received a personalized service.
Bringing home great memories...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Having resisted the urge to join the internet age, I felt I had to submit my first ever review after staying at this place. A slow and lazy-assed trip through Centro America brought me to Juayua for a weekend or so……..and I ended up staying 2 weeks.
Juayua itself is lovely and typically colonial - and the vibe created by Darren and Sec at Casa Mazeta is spot-on – a home-from-home chilled atmos in a large converted private home. You get a free welcome drink when you arrive and they cook a mean curry (on Mondays I think it was – soooo good to have an actual home-cooked meal when you're on the road)!! And depending on how many beers you wash it down with, come the next morning the coffee is always freshly-brewed and ready to go when you wake up every morning. Then I spent many an hour in hammocks in their gorgeous little secluded walled garden. On energetic days, a 30-minute wander down to Los Chorros waterfalls with Lippy and Chiquita by my side always did the trick. I spent nights indoors going through loads of their DVDs or getting spanked at chess and backgammon - or on louder evenings, doing forfeits playing "Paca Party Giant Jenga" dressed in all sorts of weird costumes acquired from the markets in Antigua. Out in the night garden we all sat toasting marshmallows around the bricked-in fireplace or congregated around the patio tables under tea lamps. But if you wanna go out for the evening, there are plenty of bars and places to eat. And weekends in Juayua are all about the food fairs – the streets and town square fill up with stalls selling all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. There was a lovely friendly and cosmopolitan atmosphere and it all looked and smelled great, but vegetarians beware, cos there isn’t a lot around. I thought I was being clever when I found a spicy vegetable soup, but when I took it back home, Darren really enjoyed telling this “gringo tanto” that it was actually tripe soup, for the poor! So his dogs got a good free feed!

Mazeta’s rooms are excellent value for money, and range from dorms with large secure storage to private ensuite rooms, all with plenty of hot water too – always a thumbs-up from me. But the room to get is the garden room with its own private patio – I got in to see it and it’s very cosy but I never managed to bag it for myself! The kitchen is a good size and free to use whenever you like. There is off road secure parking which I’ll be using on my next trip here when I come back over this way some time next year I hope.

Darren and Sec are also pretty encyclopaedic about where to go and what to see and do – things like the best bakeries in Juayua, the best artists studios to visit in El Salvador, the best chicken bus routes to take around the country, and best places to stay / best tours to go on / best bars to visit in many other places in El Sal and all over Central America. They’ve done the whole backpacker thing and they both know what backpackers generally want to know. As well as this, it’s simple memories like an avocado falling off a tree into my lap and the little touches like finding ex-guests’ discarded shoes turned into flowerpots that have stuck with me about Casa Mazeta. This place really was a great discovery, recommended to me by some random I met in El Tunco, and I’ll deffo be going back here again.

And it’s true - bring mature cheese…the owners will love you forever.

Room Tip: The garden room is idyllic and gives you great privacy. All the other rooms are perfectly fine. The...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
casamazeta, Owner at Casa Mazeta, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Wow, thanks for the lengthy review ! Always great to have feedback, but I think you´ve covered everything possible !! I can only add our sincere gratitude for your time and your visit, and look forward to welcoming you back again someday.
Saludos,
All the staff at Casa Mazeta
Kejimkujik National Park, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Casa Maseta wassuch a wonderful place to be! I felt totally at home there. Darren, the owner, is great to chat with, makes you feel very welcome and comfortable, and has lots of advice on the area. The kitchen was definetly one of the best i have found in all of my travels! I loved the garden. A peaceful and beautiful place to hang out in, any time of day. You even get a free welcome drink! Awesome Hostel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hostel has it all. Kitchen for cooking, movies, games, wi-fi, drinks for purchase. The garden is beautiful. We stayed in the garden room. It was quiet and comfy. Darren is a wealth of information. The location is perfect - a few blocks from all the hustle but only a few minutes walk to anything. You can also walk 30 minutes to amazing waterfalls. We would recommend this for anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
casamazeta, Owner at Casa Mazeta, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review, truly appreciated (and sorry for the long delay in replying, I´d forgotten the password !)
After more than 8 years here in El Salvador, I´m starting to feel something like a local, and have travelled all over this wonderful country. I am very happy to share my experiences with you and hopefully help to make sure you don´t miss out on the many hidden jewels that El Salvador has to offer.
In summary, Casa Mazeta is still as great as you describe it, plus some! Now we have another private room available, we have even more friendly and knowledgeable staff, and we have a popular mini cinema set-up and the beginnings of a small bar.
Thanks again and sincerely hope to see you back here one day soon
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked for two nights and stayed for 4 or 5! Casa Mazeta is gorgeous and had everything I needed: a complete kitchen, huge lockers, comfy beds, hammocks in the garden, and friendly people. Darren is a great host and has great taste in music! This is one of the best places I've ever stayed in all of my travels (I've been traveling around the world for almost two years now) and I hope to return someday!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Juayua
Hotel Armonia Hostal
#1 of 7 in Santa Ana
Tunco Lodge
Tunco Lodge
#3 of 20 in La Libertad

Been to Casa Mazeta? Share your experiences!