“Great all around.”

Hotel-Posada y Restaurante El Mirador
Portland, Maine
“Great all around.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

This is our second visit to Juayua. Both of us decided to give this place a shot. We paid $18 for a room with private bath and a double bed. There is internet which works in the room. Cable tv consists of about 70 channels. There is hot water in the shower, via suicide type shower head. Sometimes these do not work well, however this one was top notch. There is an overhead fan. Also there is a dresser in our room, #9.
There seems to be a sort of mini museum on hand consisting of very old photos of the family and the region, all labeled in spanish. There are also display cases with antiques and prehistoric artefacts. We met almost all of the staff, and they are very kind and welcoming. For $2 we had 2 cups of coffee and we spilt a huge breakfast.
Our stay was very comfortable, and quiet. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank NewMexicoScraps

San Francisco, California
“MESSAGE TO JATLANTA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

i have a message for this jatlanta. i been in this hotel and i think is a great place to stay. of course is not for small brains like jatlanta. i think if he does not like the way we live in el salvador. well dont go out of your country period. dont come to a place where u are going to be paying 15 dollars per night and expect to find a hotel like in ritzs carlton. just stupid people like jatlanta most be waiting for that. next time u plan a trip go somewhere else. dont choose a beautiful place like el salvador, we do not need people like you.

• Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
“A great stay in Juayua!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Hotel El Mirador is in a great location, it's the first one you see as you walk into town from the bus, and if you contunue another block you'll be at the main square. The hostess is a lovely lady, very friendly, and offers complimentary coffee and a meal. Our room was quaint and well decorated, although the door for the bathroom is just a curtain. The second level rooms are bright, and the wi-fi is strong because the building has two routers. If you want to relax with a book or brows the internet, try the sitting area with a view on the top level.

• Visited April 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent hotel, fantastic hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

This hotel is close to the main plaza--the room was clean, a/c, cable, reasonably priced. The staff was super--I engaged one staff member as a guide to the waterfalls outside of town, and the next day we explored a "finca." He was personable & knowledgeable--I doubt I would have found the falls/rain forest without his help. Spanish language recommended.

Visited March 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“One Look at the Rooms and We Walked Out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

Based on reviews on other websites, a Lonely Planet review, and as a result of the dearth of hotel information in this area of El Salvador, my friends and I made reservations to stay here last weekend. I expected something a little rustic and outdated, but was not prepared for what I saw.

I will begin by saying that I usually stay in mid-to-high end hotels when I travel, and have never stayed in a hostel. However, my two traveling companions both had experience with European hostels, and were are turned off by this hotel as I was. So, by Central American hostel standards, this place may be perfectly fine, but we were pretty shaken by how dank and poorly-maintained this place was.

First, we arrived during the gastronomic festival, which meant the street leading to the hotel was virtually blocked off. The man at the door opened a large garage door, and directed our car into one of the oddest areas I've ever seen - it was like a lobby with glass cases along the side, a tile floor, a dog sleeping, and an a window into a dingy internet closet area that may or may not have also been the reception desk. We parked out car in the middle of this room. The guy at the door pointed out a maid, who took us to our room but spoke no English. We walked through a weird indoor/outdoor area that looked essentially like a 1950's hotel with exterior doors build around a courtyard, only they had put on a clear yellow plastic roof. It felt run-down and dirty and a bit creepy.

Our room was simply unacceptable. The beds looked old with worn linens. The room was cramped with barely any light. The dirty walls were painted a Pepto-colored pink. The bathroom was tiny and old, separated from the bedroom area only by a polka dot sheet hung in the doorway. It afforded no privacy at all, and the walls didn't even extend all the way to the ceiling. There were no windows. No tv. No a/c. It smelled dingy and dirty. I'm accustomed to conditions and Central America, and I knew we weren't paying for the Ritz, but I would have preferred to sleep in the car than to spend another second in that room. It took very little discussion before our group reached the decision that we just could not stay there. We told the man at the door that we weren't going to stay, and he assisted us in backing out of the weird lobby/garage.

Before our trip, I had sent out several emails to area hotels. I'd heard back from the proprietor of Posada de Don Oli in Ataco, but they didn't take reservations so we had opted for El Mirador. We decided to drive to Don Oli's to see if he had a room, and were very fortunate to find that 2 of his 3 were available. I'll review that hotel separately, but we were extremely relieved to find livable conditions FOR THE SAME PRICE and that we would not have to return to El Mirador.

2 Thank JAtlanta