“Hot Hot Hot”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Gouvia
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hot Hot Hot”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just returned from a two week half board break at the Park in Gouvia organised by Thomson Hols. Going from Manchester (2) was a doddle for a 1.30pm flight. Left on time and almost a brand new plane. Would recommend the extended leg room option (especialy if you are on the large size like me). Short transfer to Gouvia when most of the coach emptied at the first stop an all inclusive hotel...we were the only two to get off at the Park which initially was ominous. However, a bright entrance and a very efficient staff welcomed us and our room on 4th floor with sea view was excellent (although no tea making facilities). The dawn was beathtaking over Gouvia bay.

The restaurant and food was very good. Excedllent staff especially if you made time for them and spoke with them from time to time. The only thing is to check when the hotel expects more clients from Italy and Greece - also popular with the Dutch. No problems and no fighting for sun beds on any day. Good pool bar and snacks. We had an influx (as did most of the town) of Slovenian students - lively but never bothered us really. The pool area was lovely with plenty of shade and open grounds for beds. It was very hot (nearly up to 50c) but the island was still green and lush. recommend a boat trip with Madelainia a day swimming and visiting some southern points incl Mouse Island. We hired a car for three days and managed to get round most of the northern part of the island and some of the more sandier beaches. Stunning views from various points including Bella Vista/Golden Fox overlooking Pelestriiiiiiioski?

Busy roads with speeding cars and unhatted scooter riders. Care needed.

Gouvia village very busy but good for an evening out and even a change of menu in one of the many restuarants. All value for money. I have to say that I was surprised at the costs of various things - a lot lower than you would imagine - especially the beer and cocktails!

Hotel entertainment reasoanble with only two nights provided - a singing duet and a Greek Folklore dancing troupe - both v good - but more could be done. Lots of families all well behaved and pleasant to be among.

Bus no.7 calls outside the hotel to take you to Dassia further north up the coast or south to Corfu town - both worth a visit and costs 3 euros return per person.

Like other reviewers would recommend this hotel and of course Thomsons - it was excellent value for the money we paid and a lot cheaper than going to Spain for instance.

Room Tip: Fourth floor facing sea!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tonymin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Midlands
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I travelled with husband, two older teenagers, and friends with same. We booked with Thompson and I'm writing this from a sun lounger by the pool. It's a good value for money hotel and the pool is its best asset. plenty of sunbeds and shade and a great poolside cafe for lunch and snacks and free wifi. in the evening we enjoyed sitting at the bar overlooking the pool drinking cocktails and it's idyllic. gouvia is a great little resort with about 14 or more tavernas and within about 10 minutes slow walk from hotel. We ate in about 6 of them and returned to Leon's, Aries and the 9 Mueses. Nightlife for the teenagers starts about 1 am apparently and Thursday's seem to be the busiest so they would often disappear out after we'd gone to bed. Water sports at the beach are expensive but fun. The teens did a scuba diving course over 4 days which they really enjoyed whilst adults melted in the sun. Air Con in our room could have been more powerful and we couldn't work out why the dining room was not air conned at breakfast as it was so hot and stuffy....other than being too hot in public areas it was perfect and would recommend both gouvia and hotel.

Room Tip: They are refurbishing all rooms. We had a non refurbed one but still fine and views were fantastic
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OXOlady
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I just spent a week (Aug 17-24) at this hotel in Gouvia, 7-8 km north of Corfu Town, which I enjoyed.

ROOM ITSELF: spacious (for me at least!), clean, fine view from the large balcony - mountains toward the left, a speck of the ocean in front, and part of the pool area below. Daily, towels were replaced with clean ones, the bathroom cleaned as well as the room itself. Nice bed, good mattress and pillows. Downside: traffic noise from the nearby main road, and any music played downstairs was inevitably loud. Yes, perhaps if I closed the balcony door and turned on the aircon, it would have helped... I stayed in Room 128, which had a tiled floor. Some rooms (e.g. 205 or 208?) are carpeted. (I tried to switch rooms to avoid the traffic noise; however, it was the same from room 205/208. Rooms facing the opposite direction were exposed to a loud aircon-type of fan from the back of the hotel. I decided room 128 was better.

There's a "minibar" in the small fridge: 0.50 euros from 1.5 L bottle of water (not sparkling); 1.30 euros for soda (500ml coca-cola and orange-fanta-like-stuff); 1 euro for sparkling water (330 ml); and 1.80 euros for Amstel beer (500 ml). Unfortunately, when I depleted the bottled water, it was never replenished. One of the receptionists rolled her eyes, when I mentioned this in passing, so it seems an on-going problem. You should probably let the receptionist know, if you wish for the minibar to be replenished.

If watching TV is important for you, then you will most likely be disappointed, if you only understand English and a Scandinavian language.

If you usually depend on hotels providing various toiletries, then you should know that this hotel provides bars of soap. (Fine with me, since I always bring my own!) But, fear not, there is a hair dryer. Water pressure from both shower head and water faucets was perfect. No probs with the hot (or cold!) water either.

Don mosquito repellent, if you, like me, sleep with an open balcony-door.

STAFF: Very friendly, English-speaking, and very helpful.

INTERNET: you pay 3 euros for 1 hour (+ 2 euros deposit for the plastic card). There are 3 computers. The time spent on the internet is monitored by a plastic card with a chip, so you needn't spend the entire 60 minutes in one sitting. The internet is a bit slow.

BILLIARD: if you like playing this game, there's a pool table in the lobby area. Don't know what it costs to use it.

POOL AREA: Very nice. Large pool, lovely landscaping. I recommend going down to the pool area a little early to get one of those sun beds meant for use on the adjacent lawn, only. The poolside beds are quite uncomfortable to lie on (very hard plastic), unless you've acquired an air mattress. I didn't bother buying anything at the pool bar, since previous reviewer(s) of this hotel indicated this would be a waste of money and calories.

HOTEL RESTAURANT: of which there is one. My vacation package included breakfast. Some package deals also include dinner. Both are buffets. (The dinner one cost 12 euros, if it's not incl. in your package deal.) The breakfast was ok. I preferred the yummy Greek yoghurt to which I added honey, the Greek-like salad (sans onion), and the whole wheat bread (a tad dry) with cheese slices. There are a plethora of other dishes, though not my cup of tea. And the type of milk used for adding to one's coffee/tea is heated UHT. But, when you think about it, having to cater toward lotsa people all at once of all age groups--from babies to retirees--and from many countries--Scandinavia, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, etc, etc.--it's close to impossible to make everyone happy....

Although breakfast is between 7:30 and 10 a.m., they rarely open at 7:30, more like 7:40. This is a bit irritating, when the bus leaves early for a tour or for the airport.

I never tried the dinner buffet, so no comment on this one...

MINI LIBRARY: if you, like me, run out of reading material, there's a small bookshelf with several used books left behind by visitors in various languages (primarily Dutch and English, also in German, French, Spanish, Swedish, Danish). Mostly romance and crime novels, but also a few books in other genres, such as Sci-Fi/Fantasy and fiction.

HOTEL ENTERTAINMENT: There was a show Friday night, which was loud, but bearable. If I recall correctly, predominantly a live Greek-entertainment music show. During breaks, modern dance music.

The second music (or "music") show took place on Tuesday night. I think it started at 8 pm and lasted for 4 long, torturous, grueling hours. The noise level was beyond ear plugs. My suggestion: STAY AWAY that evening (which I should have) or--maybe when being in the midst of it, the (I suppose) cheerful and party atmosphere would help lessen the...uuuh....impact--be present at the show. The entertainers were a man and a woman, who did not-so-great cover versions of classic/well known songs: from Haddaway's "What is Love?" to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". Seemingly more often than not, the entertainers' voice span couldn't match that of the original singer's. Why sing in public, when one's voice can't carry a tune to, say, Celine Dion songs?

OUTSIDE THE HOTEL AREA: I feel it's a safe neighborhood. I'm not the tallest woman on the planet, and I felt completely safe walking around by myself at all times of the day and (late) evening.

I bought most of my water and other items in the Supermarket "Costas" down the road leading toward the beach (cross the main road, go right, and it's the first road on the left. You can't miss it!). 1.5 L natural mineral water = 0.80 euros. Yes, a little pricier than the hotel room's minibar alongside the Diella Supermarket (0.20 euros for 1.5 L water bottle), located down the road (toward Corfu Town, 6-8 minute walk or so from the hotel--situated on the same side of the main road as the hotel).

PLACES TO EAT: Yummy Yummy Cafe referred to in other reviews is the cafe located diagonally across the main road to the left. There is no sign with the words "Yummy Yummy Cafe" on the light-peach building, but "by Govina Bay" in semi-small letters. I had a Corfiot Kumquat Smoothie, which was pretty good. If memory serves, the smoothies cost in the 3-to-5 euro range. And the staff is really sweet.

The guide from "my" travel agency recommended 2 restaurants for their good food (of course) and esp. for their excellent service: 1) Helion Resort (they remember you from the first time, you ate there) and 2) Moukas. I enjoyed eating at Bella Mama (also recommended from a previous review). The waiters are really sweet, although you have to be a little patient with the speed of service. I thought their homemade dolmades (3 euros, I think) and mousaka (8 euros, I believe) were absolutely delicious. They also remembered me from the first time I was there, even though 3-4 days had gone by. All 3 restaurants are located on the same road as Supermarket "Costas"--the, I gather, main tourist drag in Gouvia.

Closer to the hotel, a couple I met from Finland recommended a restaurant lying on the main road to the left of the hotel (same side of the main road).

THE BEACH: the local beach is fine, mostly small rocks. It's a good 10-15 min stroll from the hotel. There are toilets nearby (across the road to the right, there's a large "WC" sign) with both toilet paper and soap. Nice and clean. I paid 4.5 euros to rent one sun-bed with a sun shade (large 'umbrella') for half a day. Not sure whether this price is for the whole day.

GOING TO CORFU TOWN: is really easy. The bus stop is located on the main road just to the right from where the small road goes up to the hotel. It cost 2 euros (give exact change) to Corfu Town. The bus (no. 7) takes you to the bus station (last stop) near the town centre. It leaves every 20 minutes: 10, 30, and 50 past the hour--at least during weekdays. The last bus from Corfu Town leaves around 11 pm (at least on weekdays). To take the bus back to Park Hotel (no. 7 toward Dassia), buy a "pink ticket" from the ticket machine. The ticket costs 1.5 euros. The machine is easy to use, no worries. The bus leaves every 20 minutes as well--and about from the same/near the spot, as where you got off. It takes 25 minutes or so between Park Hotel and Corfu Town bus station.

IN SUMMARY, I enjoyed my stay at Park Hotel. If I were to return to Gouvia, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Room Tip: See room description in review.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank wainani
Manchester
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend just got back from the Park hotel in Gouvia earlier this week after an amazing, relaxing holiday! The hotel is lovely. The rooms are a good size and cleaned every day. New towels 4 times in a week, working air-con and great service at the reception. The pool is the best thing about the hotel. Really well kept, clean, quiet and plenty of sunloungers. The resort is small and quiet so if you're after a party, don't go there. However, if you want a quiet holiday with a good choice of restaurants and a few bars it's perfect. If you go, you must try Aries taverna, great service, lovely food and Greek dancing. Another good place to eat is 9 muses, amazing service and great Stifado! For a quiet pre dinner drink try Desperado's. The beach is pebbled but nice, not super clear water but this didn't put us off. Also, only €3.50for 2 loungers for the whole day! Do visit Corfu town as it's beautiful and take a trip to Aqualand for lots of waterslide mayhem.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank lindeboom222
hull
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed with my sister in the park hotel 3rd august for a week.The hotel was lovely and all the staff were most pleasant and friendly.Our room was great with a balcony and the air conditioner was fantastic.We would highly recommend this holiday .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank eileen d
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked 1 week B&B in desperation after so much rain. Chose this hotel for the pool and proximity to transport into Corfu Town and elsewhere. The room was by no means luxury standard but clean and comfortable enough. Bathroom a bit shabby but everything worked (most of the time). Very reasonable minibar prices - large bottle water 50c - but re-stocking was a bit haphazard. Free air-conditioning, which we really needed as otherwise it was 30 plus degrees in our room, day and night. Breakfast food offered was what I would expect at a hotel of this standard - usual absence of fresh fruit and only synthetic fruit juice but good fresh bread, Greek yoghurt and selection of dried and preserved fruit was enough for me. Not sure who eats taramasalata and tsatsiki for breakfast, but it was there for those who did, along with cold meats, cheese, and usual eggs, beans, chips (!!), Greek sausage.The bus for Corfu Town really does stop just outside the hotel gate. Fare is 1.5 Euro each way if you buy tickets in advance or 2 Euro if you pay on the bus. Takes about 20 minutes to get to centre of Corfu Town.and the service is quite frequent. You can also get the longer distance buses to places further afield but did not try that. Gouvia itself is about 10 minutes' walk to the centre. The beach is pebbly and the water is calm but a bit cloudy - not as clear as at some places we went to. Ate at Aries Taverna - worth a visit for the food, with the dance show as a bonus. Muses Taverna also had great food. Not so good at Romeo's (?) Pizza, which was a bit disappointing. When we wanted a break from the Greek salad/grilled meat/fish diet, we too found that 'Yummy Mummy' opposite the hotel offered a refreshing change. Their smoothies were delicious and very filling - just what you needed when the temperature rose into the high 30's. This is a new business and they are working very hard to get established, so please give them a try. Cass is a Yorkshire lass who loves to hear an English voice among the very international clientele they get there.
Back to the Park - yes the pool area really lifts this place. Large clean pool, plenty of loungers, shade if you want it, a life-guard, a pool bar with food, play area for smaller children. Teenagers might be a bit bored, but most of those we saw seemed to be attached to their mobile, I-Pod, etc and there is free wi-fi access, so parents may not hear much from them.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-12 in each floor are cooler as they don't get direct sun at any time in that wing. Rooms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth L
Leeds
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed at the Park Hotel for 1 week B&B. Rooms were reasonable in size and kept clean & tidy by the daily maid service. Breakfast although plentiful was boring and never warm enough for me. Relaxed holiday plenty of sun beds both around the pool and on the well-kept lawns. The pool bar area serving drinks & snacks seemed to be plagued with wasps which was a bit off putting. My top tip for anyone staying in this hotel is to visit the “YUMMY YUMMY smoothie bar” just across the road 50 yards to the left. The bar run by Demittri & Cass specialises in smoothies but serves a good selection of drinks & food ( good prices) including Greek breakfasts, full English, delicious sandwiches etc etc. Forgot to mention the coffee is to die for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stefanjez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouvia
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Saint Nicholas Hotel
Saint Nicholas Hotel
#4 of 17 in Gouvia

Been to Aquis Park Hotel? Share your experiences!