“Worth it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gourmet Walking Tour of Sete France
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Sete
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gourmet walking tour: Join your English speaking host for an intimate and unique gourmet walking tour of Sète. Stroll the streets along the canals of the “Venice” of France, past historical buildings while sampling local specialities, meeting merchants and getting historical and culturals tips. The visit will include delights such as pastry and chocolate, fine foods, cheeses and wines. Your culinary adventure will also take you to “les Halles” the harbour’s colourful and authentic fish and seafood market. On market days (Wednesday), the true scents and flavours of southern France will be abundant where you will discover seasonal produce and how to use it at home.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Originally our stay in Sete was supposed to be a convenient stop-over on our way from Barcelona to Antibes. I decided to throw this food tour into our itinerary and I'm so glad I did! My husband and I would not have thought much of Sete without Nancy's introduction to it- it's historical financial importance under King Louis XIV, its relationship with water jousting, the region's wine history. I appreciated that Nancy took us to tour small, friendly, local vendors who have been in their business for a long time (sometimes generations). I was a little scared of sampling wine and oysters in the morning, but Nancy saved the heartier foods until later in the tour- the fish soup included. We visited Sete's central market (a dying institution in France) where we talked with all sorts of produce, fish and meat merchants. We had a great time at the cheese shop, wine shop, oyster bar, patisserie, all while getting tidbits of history and local sights along the way. This tour made me fall in love with Sete and it's people. If you are in the area or "just passing through" like us, book a tour with Nancy.

3 Thank mzmeowsy

Fairhope AL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Even Better Than Expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a cruise which included Sete, France. I had booked the tour after reading about it on Trip Advisor and Nancy McGhee and I had corresponded via email prior to the trip. She is a delight and took us all over Sete meeting the people and enjoying the wonderful foods of that region. The tour was so well planned that you had a sampling of all types of dishes from "soup to nuts" basically. From eating heavenly oysters on the half shell to tasting a fabulous cake from a 100 year old recipe, the tour was divine. This is just the sort of tour I was looking for and wish I could have experienced each port this way. Meeting the French, laughing with them, enjoying the best strawberry I have ever had at the food market, was the way to visit Sete!!!

3 Thank Cile M M
Cupertino, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Walking tour of Sete--simply fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I have never been to France and wanted a way to introduce ourselves directly into the culture. Nancy did just that. Our small, intimate group visited a cheese shop, a fresh food market that included right-off-the-boat fish, unbelievably fresh and fragrant and colorful vegetables and fruits, pates, and so much more, which was followed by a cheese shop, fish shop, and oyster bar/restaurant where we learned how to shuck oysters. All this journey was interspersed with history of the city, meeting the owners of the shops, and finishing at an incredibly delicious pastry/dessert shop. Now we want to take the walking tour of Montpellier. Thank you, Nancy! Je voudrais revenir.

3 Thank Lynne S
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Food, wine and a bit of history in SW France”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My son and I took this 3 hour morning foodie walking tour of Sete in mid-October 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The well-organized tour included visits to the local central market, an oyster bar, cheese shop, bakery, wine store and much more. There were samples and tastings at every stop and all are memorable.
I wish we had taken this tour at the beginning of our stay rather than the end since we would have liked to have returned to visit several of the stops again. I think I could have spent 3 hours in the market alone. And the oysters! One was not enough.
Nancy has done a great job in creating and guiding this tour. Highly recommended and well worth the cost.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank pgseee
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sete walking tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a lovely day in the charming French town of Sete. Nancy took us around local shops where we met local shop keepers and sampled their wares. If it was not for the tour we would not have got even half the knowledge and experiences of local shops and businesses that we had with Nancy's explanations. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and the wine tasting towards the end was the best bit! I would encourage those going to the South of France to try this tour, we came from Montpelier and it was easy to get the hotel where we had to meet.

Visited July 2012