“Nearly excellent”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kolasin
Oregon
“Nearly excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Hotel Lipka is a large but pleasant and stylish chalet-style hotel that's well located near the old town squares and promenades (if you're into that sort of thing... and you should be, because there is an absolutely stellar restaurant just down the street). The simple, modern rooms are good-sized by European standards - we had a double - and clean, and the staff is courteous and professional.

The restaurant has some excellent mountain views from the patio and the buffet spreads we had for breakfast and dinner were the biggest we encountered during our trip through the region, ably prepared and nicely varied.

As others have mentioned, if there's noise outside, you'll likely hear it (although certainly not the worst I've experienced at a hotel) - the one reason I docked a point - and it doesn't matter if you're room is in the front or the back. If they sound-proof their windows, I'd deem this place the perfect stay in Kolasin.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a mountain view, on the left-hand side of the hotel (not sure of the cardinal directi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank clumsy_plumsy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bologna, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I'm a travel blogger. I travel often. The hotel is definitely pretty. Staff is curt but definitely not friendly. Paid for single room. Less than 20% occupancy when I arrived. Asked if I could move rooms and was told NO. You paid for a single and that is what you get. Gee, ok.
I asked the front desk clerk if it was possible to have my 2 water bottles frozen. Again, no not possible. FYI: every hotel I've stayed at since June has been more than willing to accommodate this. I explained I would be traveling the canyon etc and the temps are unseasonably hot. Didn't care.
Room is small - think Micro Hotel brand in the USA. pretty furnishings. A single room is just that- a single bed. Mini-fridge in room but lacks freezer or temperature control and is stocked with their drinks, alcohol, water and candy. Lacks price listing for fridge items.
Loved the deep bathroom sink! Shower is skinny and compact. Shower has a wonderful rain overhead faucet yet if you do not plan to get your hair wet-a shower cap is needed. There is no arm stretching or elbow lifting with ease because of the tight width.
Towels are thick! Could be longer. No hand towels nor washcloths but most European hotels I've been in don't have them either. I'm sure the size is not a concern because there are thick, plush white robes & slippers in the closet. But pass in the slippers. Mine looked disgusting. Flat screen tv in each room. Do NOT agree to a front room. I arrived in summer-the noise was loud. Can not image it during the busy skiing season. No one showed me to my room. When I asked how to get to my room, a hotel worker; sitting down near the reception area chatting with the spa attendant pointed in the direction of the "lift" while saying "that way to the lift". I'm staying in room 316.
Internet was said to be free and it was avail in my room but I had to get a new number every few hours.
Dinner was included. Room was empty except for 1 couple on the portico.
Had my choice of 'reserved' seating. I could write a book on what was horrible! Read my blog at girl abroad where all the details along with pictures are shown. The post will be up once I leave. Let's just say a few things: I was rushed during dinner. The waiter who lacked the knowledge of the menu brought my salad while I had begun tasting the 1st course and proceeded to ask if he could bring me out my steak too. Ummm, no. After I finished my soup, he asked again.
Then there is the main course which was served swimming in oil. Be prepared for the short video I took. Dr Oz would have a stroke. To make it come full circle--every day tap water I was told was NOT allowed to be served at the restaurant. You must have bottle water. There bottled water. Shocking since the towns drinking water is crisp and mountain clean.

I did go to the spa. Whirlpool was cool-refreshing bc of the outside temps. The sauna and Turkish bath were both enjoyable.

Parking avail in a town lot. Sketchy.
I will be checking out tomorrow. Will keep you updated about breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the hotel. Too noisy. Stay away from 3rd fl near elevators -- 315/316
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank GirlAbroad1
Pembrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

A great hotel. The staff were very helpful, food was great and provided a good selection to cater for all tastes.
Luxurious rooms with large comfortable beds.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Pitesti, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed in this hotel only for one night. At first look, the hotel is very nice.
The staff is friendly, the food is good (althow when we stayed there were no vegetables for breackfast), the location is nice, the price is very good (we even had dinner included for only 72 euros)
BUT
It seems the maids are a little bit distracted... We found in the trash a used tampon, which is not so pretty. And, the most disturbing thing, is a locked door. It separeted our room from the one near us. And you can hear everything, absolutely everything...
The shower is a little strange... You have to use the shower cap if you don't want to wet your hair, even if usually men don't need it.

A big minus for this hotel is that there is no swimming pool. A little strange for a 4* rated hotel.

BUT
Some friends we traveled with haven't got any of our problems, no door, no tampons...
so...
It's a nice hotel.... If you're lucky... :))

Room Tip: Ask for room 202. :) Refuse if you get 221...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night and thought the hotel was great, we usually have stayed at the Bianca hotel because Lipka has been fully booked but were lucky to get a room this time.
I really think this hotel is better than bianca as it is almost half the price and offers the same standards, we had free wi fi in the room too.

The food was buffet and dinner was great but breakfast was terrible, scrambled eggs floating in ???water??? cold fried eggs, They didn't replace food that had been sat for too long with fresh food. had to pay for orange juice because they only offered kids watered down cordial included.

Overall the Hotel Lipka was very good, with very nice staff, from the moment we arrived.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Tirana, Albania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.The rooms were very nice,comfortable and clean.very quiet.we didn't here any noise while thew time that we stayed at the room.The staff were very good and polite.At the reception, they didn't speak English very well, but they tried to help you in anyway.At the restaurant ,the waiters were very good,they also speak English very well.Food was open buffet and it was excellent. In general everything was very good and we enjoyed our holiday at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here between Christmas and New Year. The rooms were lovely - husband particularly liked the ensuite with large overhead shower. Everything was very new, spotless and well put together. Beds were large and proper doubles (not 2 beds shoved together) and the room was quiet and warm despite temperatures dropping well below freezing outside. The window could be opened if you wanted fresh air but I didn't feel the need.

The staff were friendly and helpful without being in your face (apologised to us for having to settle the bill upfront on arrival even though I thought that was fair enough). The hotel was pretty empty during our 4 night stay but filled up on the last day for New Year (mainly Albanian tourists). Breakfast was included with our booking - choice wasn't massive but suited us fine with fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, pastries, eggs and ham among the choices. It was table service apart from the last day when there was an amazing self service buffet (possibly due to increased guest numbers for New Year). T

The hotel had a free shuttle bus to the ski slopes at a choice of times which proved useful as the road was quite snow covered and it meant we didn't have to pay for parking which is charged up at the ski centre.
The spa and gym facilities were very good - again all new looking. We enjoyed the jacuzzi to ourselves as well as the turkish bath. Didn't try any of the pay for treatments or massages.
My only quibble would be the wifi which was a bit temperamental and didn't work in the room, only the lobby - but it was free to use if you had your own computer / smartphone contrary to reviews I've read elsewhere.
Just to add, not related to the Lipka but the skiing is great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple